Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2 Amps Electric shock

  1. #1 2 Amps Electric shock 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15
    People,

    I'm sort of new to physics, and thus i would like to seek your advice, as i'm sure that most of you are good physicists.

    I would like to create a portable circuit that gives an electic shock when someone touches it. I would like to do this by 9V battery power, if possible. My school teacher suggested a transistor or a charged capacitor, both of which would give a shock of at most 2 Amps, but i think that the best option of the two is the transistor (although rather expensive), because as far as i know, a charged capacitor is discharged after the first use, and you have to recharge it again, and it is rather big to carry around.

    Anyways, the plan was to connect the battery to the transistor, and then create a circuit which works only when a person touches the two ends of the wire.

    Can anyone give me some tips, or any other suggestion regarding how to make this thing?

    thanks,
    darren.


    Darren
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    A 9 volt battery isn't going to shock anybody. go ahead and touch the battery terminals and see for yourself. 9 volts isn't enough. The transistor will do nothing to boost the voltage. One way to increase the voltage is to use an automotive type ignition coil, then you could get a shock like when you pull a wire from a car or lawnmower spark plug and touch it. But, you would have to find a method of repeatedly making and breaking the circuit to the primary of the coil. Google ingnition coil to find out how that works.

    A Taser like device has a 9 volt batter or thereabouts and creates a high enough voltage to shock people with. I don't know how those work and that would probably be beyond the scope of your project.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,205
    Years ago, I had a Radio Shack project book that had the plans for a small DC-DC converter circuit that would boost a nine volt battery up enough to give you a shock. The circuit was pretty simple and when completed, fit inside the case of a pocket transister radio. It used a small transformer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Masters Degree bit4bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    621
    I once found this circuit to use as an ignition circuit for some adventurous projects I was trying:



    You can also drive similar circuits using a 555 timer, a couple of transistors, a storage capacitor, a coil, and probably a protection diode. To get a sustained shock you really need some form of A.C.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Shaderwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OPSEC, baby. Sorry.
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    A 9 volt battery isn't going to shock anybody. go ahead and touch the battery terminals and see for yourself.
    now, place them it on your tung. :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    You could try making one out of a disposable camera.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Kodak-Cattle-Prod_1/
    http://staulkor.com/node/4
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman manadude2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    At a computer on Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy... chocolate bar.
    Posts
    41
    9 Volts is rubbish. You need at least 100 volts to shock someone, and 2 amps is the same as a computer mouse needs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by manadude2
    9 Volts is rubbish. You need at least 100 volts to shock someone, and 2 amps is the same as a computer mouse needs.
    2 amps flowing through your body would easily be enough to kill you. Due to the resistance of your body, though, 9 amps would not be enough to shock you, unless you put it on your wet tongue like Shaderwolf. However, according to Wikipedia, 16 volts might be enough to kill under the right conditions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Masters Degree bit4bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by manadude2
    9 Volts is rubbish. You need at least 100 volts to shock someone, and 2 amps is the same as a computer mouse needs.
    An amp is a very large unit, I doubt computer mice draw that much current. More like the 10's of mA's.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •