Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: refraction of light

  1. #1 refraction of light 
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Hi! I want to ask you something. When the light travels through medium 1, there is reflection of light, so there is energy released, but it needs time the energy to travel through medium 2, right?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the circuitous haze of my mind
    Posts
    1,028
    What are these mediums?

    Admin! Skin Walker! Why did you lock Sream Systems last thead? Isn't it ok to only have a conversation with 3 or so people? I've had many discussions where I only talked with a few people.....I think you locked it because of something else; perhaps to prevent me from posting a brilliant response! Oh well.


    Of all the wonders in the universe, none is likely more fascinating and complicated than human nature.

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence"

    -Einstein

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Use your computing strength for science!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fusion
    What are these mediums?

    Admin! Skin Walker! Why did you lock Sream Systems last thead? Isn't it ok to only have a conversation with 3 or so people? I've had many discussions where I only talked with a few people.....I think you locked it because of something else; perhaps to prevent me from posting a brilliant response! Oh well.
    Look at this link. There are 2 mediums? Lets say glass and water. When the light pass through glass it reflects and refracts in same time. It reflects from the glass and refracts in the water, right? Why there is time delay in medium 2?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    Nice Applet I alsways had huge problems envisoning things like that. The reason is pretty simple: the refractive index of a material is basically defined as 1/speed of light in that specific medium.

    Allthough I found a flaw in this applet: I never get total reflection, even when I plug numbers in the applet which I know for damn shure should give total internal reflection.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Twaaannnggg
    Nice Applet I alsways had huge problems envisoning things like that. The reason is pretty simple: the refractive index of a material is basically defined as 1/speed of light in that specific medium.

    Allthough I found a flaw in this applet: I never get total reflection, even when I plug numbers in the applet which I know for damn shure should give total internal reflection.
    But shouldn't there be atoms from medium 1, and atoms from medium 2?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Shaderwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OPSEC, baby. Sorry.
    Posts
    425
    I don't understand where you are going with that... Yes, both mediums have atoms... Take a glass of watter... the glass is clear. Now, stick a pencil in it and look through the bottom of the watter from differant angles. See that after a specific angle. For watter-air this angle is 48.6 degrees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91

    But shouldn't there be atoms from medium 1, and atoms from medium 2?
    Ummmm, I am not shure I understand where you are getting at? If those two media are made out of mater then the answer is "yes". If one of these media is vacuum then of course the answer is "no". Do you mean at the interface?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Twaaannnggg
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91

    But shouldn't there be atoms from medium 1, and atoms from medium 2?
    Ummmm, I am not shure I understand where you are getting at? If those two media are made out of mater then the answer is "yes". If one of these media is vacuum then of course the answer is "no". Do you mean at the interface?
    When the light touch the surface, the atoms vibrate and release energy. Is the energy transfered from medium 1 to medium 2, so that's why there is time delay?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    Light interacts with the electrons in a medium and the more electrons there are in a given medium, the slower the light is in this medium. This involves of course energy transfer resulting in heating up the medium. To say that energy is transfered from m1 to m2 is a little bit too general in my oppinion. There are too many variables to be considered.

    I guess for a general view of diffraction and reflection it is sufficient to use the geometrical approach to optics. And even this can and will get really nasty to handle.

    I know this is in a sense pretty simplistic, but if you want to dive into optics more deeply I'd reccomend a good book about optics. The space here (and my time) are unfortunately limited. I do n ot want to sound condescending but there's a whole industry dealing with phtonics and this is for a reason.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Twaaannnggg
    Light interacts with the electrons in a medium and the more electrons there are in a given medium, the slower the light is in this medium. This involves of course energy transfer resulting in heating up the medium. To say that energy is transfered from m1 to m2 is a little bit too general in my oppinion. There are too many variables to be considered.

    I guess for a general view of diffraction and reflection it is sufficient to use the geometrical approach to optics. And even this can and will get really nasty to handle.

    I know this is in a sense pretty simplistic, but if you want to dive into optics more deeply I'd reccomend a good book about optics. The space here (and my time) are unfortunately limited. I do n ot want to sound condescending but there's a whole industry dealing with phtonics and this is for a reason.
    Does actually light travel like on the applet?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior Twaaannnggg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91
    Does actually light travel like on the applet?
    The bar you see going from left to right is the tip of the incommin wavefront and all those growing little circles emmanating from the surface give the resulting reflecting wavefront of the reflected light so I guess this comes pretty close to what actually happens. The resolution is pretty coarse but other than that it's O.K.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Twaaannnggg
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91
    Does actually light travel like on the applet?
    The bar you see going from left to right is the tip of the incommin wavefront and all those growing little circles emmanating from the surface give the resulting reflecting wavefront of the reflected light so I guess this comes pretty close to what actually happens. The resolution is pretty coarse but other than that it's O.K.
    Hmm... I never knew that the light is traveling like that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Twaaannnggg
    Light interacts with the electrons in a medium and the more electrons there are in a given medium, the slower the light is in this medium. This involves of course energy transfer resulting in heating up the medium. To say that energy is transfered from m1 to m2 is a little bit too general in my oppinion. There are too many variables to be considered.

    I guess for a general view of diffraction and reflection it is sufficient to use the geometrical approach to optics. And even this can and will get really nasty to handle.

    I know this is in a sense pretty simplistic, but if you want to dive into optics more deeply I'd reccomend a good book about optics. The space here (and my time) are unfortunately limited. I do n ot want to sound condescending but there's a whole industry dealing with phtonics and this is for a reason.
    I think because the energy transfer from m1 to m2 there is such time delay, what do u think?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    why does the (refracted) wave in the second medium start a bit later than the (reflected) wave in the first medium?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Shaderwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OPSEC, baby. Sorry.
    Posts
    425
    check out total internal reflection on Wiki.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91
    why does the (refracted) wave in the second medium start a bit later than the (reflected) wave in the first medium?
    Why do you say it starts later? It starts at the same time but just goes slower.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91
    why does the (refracted) wave in the second medium start a bit later than the (reflected) wave in the first medium?
    Why do you say it starts later? It starts at the same time but just goes slower.
    Why it goes sloweR?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •