Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: lithium battery question

  1. #1 lithium battery question 
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    I want to ask you something. What happens with the lithium battery (lets say after 100 times of recharging) and loses its capacity after 2 years recharging? Is it something with the ions or what?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the circuitous haze of my mind
    Posts
    1,028
    I heard that lithium batteries have an actuall piece of lithium inside of them....and are surrounded by a few different chemicals and minerals. It must have something to do with the materials altering their molecular shape or chemical make up over time. At least my lithium batteries get quite hot when you are using them...the heat created could also add the decrease in electrical hold. Ive had mine (for my camera) for 4 years...and their charge has barely gone down at all; even after heavy use and exposure to all sorts of hostile climates.

    When they say lithium ion...it is nothing special actually. All bateries work that way, by electrifiing their contents.


    Of all the wonders in the universe, none is likely more fascinating and complicated than human nature.

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence"

    -Einstein

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Use your computing strength for science!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    161
    my understanding of a battery is two half cells.
    with a lithium battery i assume one of the half cells contains a piece of lithium metal. perhaps this degrades over time and when recharged which makes it lose capacity?
    Liberty is the souls right to breathe
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    There was a thread on this a while ago.
    http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...ghlight=#81981
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    There was a thread on this a while ago.
    http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...ghlight=#81981
    Can you give me simplified short description, please? I can't understand that text on the link.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    The negative electrode degrades at the interface between the electrode and the electrolyte. Cracks form in the metal. At high temperatures, components of the electrolyte corrode and deposit on the electrode, reducing its surface area.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    I took to peices a cadmium-nickle battery, it was very exciting and not what I expected... felt, oil and nickle stripes wraped like a yule log
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    The negative electrode degrades at the interface between the electrode and the electrolyte. Cracks form in the metal. At high temperatures, components of the electrolyte corrode and deposit on the electrode, reducing its surface area.
    So the negative electrode corrodes, and on high temperatures the electrolyte corrode. But where it goes? In the air? Is there any high temperatures on the battery?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91
    So the negative electrode corrodes, and on high temperatures the electrolyte corrode. But where it goes? In the air? Is there any high temperatures on the battery?
    Where does what go? The battery will have a shorter life if it is stored in high temperature. When operating, it has current flowing in it and internal resistance, so it will be warmer than its surroundings.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Veles,Macedonia
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist91
    So the negative electrode corrodes, and on high temperatures the electrolyte corrode. But where it goes? In the air? Is there any high temperatures on the battery?
    Where does what go? The battery will have a shorter life if it is stored in high temperature. When operating, it has current flowing in it and internal resistance, so it will be warmer than its surroundings.
    Is there any high temperature in the battery, and if so why there is high temperature?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •