Notices
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: physics

  1. #1 physics 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    what would happen if the speed of sound was the same as the speed of light????


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Guest
    What would happen to what?

    You would no longer get 'stadium echo'.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    what does that mean??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Guest
    Do you mean if light slowed down, or sound speeded up, or whether they were at some value neither is now?

    Stadium echo is where you at a stadium that has several tannoy speakers and where you can hear several of these, the sound from each arrives at a different time and therefore you hear echoes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    i mean.. what if the speed of sound increased to be the same value as the speed of light.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    88
    It can't, sound is the vibration of the particles in a medium and they can't move at the speed of light. Unless you have infinite energy I think.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    If it were that light and sound travelled at the same speed then all the laws of the univers would be different, and therefore who could say?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4
    well lets just say.. what if sound really did travel as fast as light.. would the human ear be able to ear it and interpret the sound?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    The speed of sound is nothing to do with what you hear, [whilst you are motionless] for example sound travelling through steel travels many times faster yet if you put your ear to it, you will still hear the original sound (note though it will travel through air for the last few centimetres. All that would happen is that the wavelength would need to be about a million times longer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    it would effect if the wavelenght remained the same since the frequens would go beyond what the human ear can hear. it would be a silent world for us
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    Wrong, the wavelength would be determined by the object making the sound,If you waved a piece of card back and forth to times per second then it's wavelength would be 30M metres. - Think about it!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Wrong, the wavelength would be determined by the object making the sound,If you waved a piece of card back and forth to times per second then it's wavelength would be 30M metres. - Think about it!
    got a point you can see it from both percpective XD
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Guest
    If you want to keep the wavelength the same but vastly increase the frequency then you'll need to hit it faster, this can only occur if more than the speed of sound increases!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    If you want to keep the wavelength the same but vastly increase the frequency then you'll need to hit it faster, this can only occur if more than the speed of sound increases!
    correct
    the new relativity have been discovered
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    The sound energy would become light energy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Guest
    NO sound energy cannot directly be converted to light energy, (I thought I just answered this one) - sound is a compressive wave experienced by a material, sound does not exist within itself, it relies on a medium. Light is energy, self contained little packets of the stuff. It would be like trying to convert 'time' into one of the other three dimensions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    oh i see.
    And is there any reaction which uses sound energy as catalyst. Seems to be a chemistry forum question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Guest
    I am aware that modern explosives 'detonate' that is a shockwave sets them off, this may then produce light but, it is not the sound that turns into light, the sound is the catalyst for the sxplosives. Beyond that it is as you say chemistry, not a field I would comment in (other than some simple reactions).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19 Re: physics 
    Forum Sophomore basim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    maldives
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaimportz98
    what would happen if the speed of sound was the same as the speed of light????
    if it is so you can easily go to past and future with an airplane.
    and this world will not run as it is now. all the physics law will be changed.
    i dont think that it will be possible to survive any creature in this universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20 Re: physics 
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by basim
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaimportz98
    what would happen if the speed of sound was the same as the speed of light????
    if it is so you can easily go to past and future with an airplane.
    and this world will not run as it is now. all the physics law will be changed.
    i dont think that it will be possible to survive any creature in this universe.
    In a forum, no-one can hear you scream.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21 Re: physics 
    Forum Sophomore basim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    maldives
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by basim
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaimportz98
    what would happen if the speed of sound was the same as the speed of light????
    if it is so you can easily go to past and future with an airplane.
    and this world will not run as it is now. all the physics law will be changed.
    i dont think that it will be possible to survive any creature in this universe.
    In a forum, no-one can hear you scream.....
    thanks megabrain.
    dont you think like that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by anand_kapadia
    oh i see.
    And is there any reaction which uses sound energy as catalyst. Seems to be a chemistry forum question.
    What about focusing the sound and using the waves for energy? I have played some Warhammer 40k (futuristic war game using miniatures like DND) in the past and there was a race that used sound as weapons. Is something like this possible? Can't certain frequencies cause parts of the body to act in certain ways? Or is that a mith?
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Guest
    Enough 'sound' will break anything, just hit a piece of mom's china with a brick. Striking it produces a compression wave in the medium - that is sound. You can 'concentrate sound waves, it happens quite naturally, sometimes you can move around a noisy environment and the sound can vary quite a bit, even in an open space. Compression waves can and do add and subtract, like waves on the water, intereference is the name.

    As to certain frequencies acting on certain parts of the body, most of it is pure myth (not helped by the south park 'brown note' episode). yet again enough sound and things can happen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBOB
    Quote Originally Posted by anand_kapadia
    oh i see.
    And is there any reaction which uses sound energy as catalyst. Seems to be a chemistry forum question.
    What about focusing the sound and using the waves for energy? I have played some Warhammer 40k (futuristic war game using miniatures like DND) in the past and there was a race that used sound as weapons. Is something like this possible? Can't certain frequencies cause parts of the body to act in certain ways? Or is that a mith?
    No i am talking about chemical reaction which uses sound energy as catalyst.
    Quote Originally Posted by megabrain
    Enough 'sound' will break anything, just hit a piece of mom's china with a brick. Striking it produces a compression wave in the medium - that is sound.
    I think it is not the sound energy but it is the force of the stone which breaks the china ware. Impulse= Force * time.
    As the time taken to bring the stone to a stop is less so more force is inserted which breaks the china ware.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Guest
    nope, it is the compression wave that breaks it, - it really is! if the object did not compress it would simply move. in very simple terms It breaks when the variation in the compression wave is greater than the compressibility of the medium.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    yes force changes the shape os the substance. If it is compressive than it doesn't break else it breaks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,416
    Here is an interesting question for you. Lets say a train is travelling at 100mph and it hits a fly which is travelling towards it. the fly cannot simply reverse direction without first decelerating to 0 speed. Which means that for the tiniest fraction of a second, the train where the fly struck must also have decelerated to 0 speed before very quickly speeding up again.

    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    If it were that light and sound travelled at the same speed then all the laws of the univers would be different, and therefore who could say?
    A logical answer that pertains to most 'what ifs'. One can't 'tweak' the properties of matter and energy without everything as we know it being meaningless in the universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Here is an interesting question for you. Lets say a train is travelling at 100mph and it hits a fly which is travelling towards it. the fly cannot simply reverse direction without first decelerating to 0 speed. Which means that for the tiniest fraction of a second, the train where the fly struck must also have decelerated to 0 speed before very quickly speeding up again.

    Whose deceleration are you talking about at the end. The fly or the train.
    The train would not decelerate to zero.
    I think you need to read the law of conservation of momentum for this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Here is an interesting question for you. Lets say a train is travelling at 100mph and it hits a fly which is travelling towards it. the fly cannot simply reverse direction without first decelerating to 0 speed. Which means that for the tiniest fraction of a second, the train where the fly struck must also have decelerated to 0 speed before very quickly speeding up again.

    Maybe it's just "The wrong type of fly"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,416
    Im talking about both, actually the train, or at least part of it WOULD have to decelerate to 0 speed as would the fly. Im a little tired so I will explain a little more later.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Guest
    IF that were true then our fly would also move a building if it crashed into it, it does not, for example when the planes crashed into the WTC the buildings 'flexed and recovered' but did not actually move. I also think if what you say is true the train would have had to decelerate and re-accelerate in almost zero time, think of the energy that would require, and in 'BR' trains it takes about a mile to stop from 80MPH, and about 1.5 miles to accelerate to 80mph - or at least that order.

    You could also argue that static air (which also has mass) would prevent the train from ever moving! - ie each molecule of air would stop the train.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33 Re: physics 
    Forum Ph.D. Steve Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaimportz98
    what would happen if the speed of sound was the same as the speed of light????
    You would receive you see and hear the very same moment. Right? If light indeed was reflected by
    all visible objects and that's the true physical clue therefore all those objects are visible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •