Notices
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Can we store moonlight?

  1. #1 Can we store moonlight? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by A_mansour View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas
    Chlorophyll. It's just so attenuated that almost nothing is produced.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,229
    Direct sunlight can be 100,000 lux (lumens/sq meter)
    Full moonlight is about 0.36 lux
    That's a factor difference of 277,778

    I don't think that there is a natural process efficient enough to extract or store useful energy from that weak of a light source.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    3
    l think Storing moon light is vast of time but fantastic idea! We should think about how we collect thunder blast including more than million volts! Also we can listen moonlight sonato.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by A_mansour View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas
    The moon produces absolutely no light, that said nothing can store what does not exist
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A_mansour View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas
    The moon produces absolutely no light, that said nothing can store what does not exist
    Leaving aside Janus point regarding the low Lux output. "Moonlight" IS a thing, (reflected sunlight) so your assertion here is false
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A_mansour View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas
    The moon produces absolutely no light, that said nothing can store what does not exist
    Leaving aside Janus point regarding the low Lux output. "Moonlight" IS a thing, (reflected sunlight) so your assertion here is false
    You are wrong, because reflected sunlight is still sunlight.

    So moonlight does not exist and as such can not be stored
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    You are wrong, because reflected sunlight is still sunlight.
    And that reflected light is, almost universally around the world, referred to as Moonlight.
    So moonlight does not exist and as such can not be stored
    Wrong.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    You are wrong, because reflected sunlight is still sunlight.
    And that reflected light is, almost universally around the world, referred to as Moonlight.
    So moonlight does not exist and as such can not be stored
    Wrong.
    If sunlight is reflected off of a mirror it is still sunlight as it does not become mirror light, the moon is merely acting as a mirror in this situation. So light from the moon is still 100 percent sunlight.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    Your purposely arguing semantics. The correct vernacular name for sunlight reflected from the moon is moonlight. And you still are ignoring that you are false in stating moonlight is not storable.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    If sunlight is reflected off of a mirror it is still sunlight as it does not become mirror light
    Because "mirror light" isn't anywhere near as familiar in our history.
    As Paleo has pointed out you're arguing definitions. Which has no bearing whatsoever on the actual topic.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    If sunlight is reflected off of a mirror it is still sunlight as it does not become mirror light
    Because "mirror light" isn't anywhere near as familiar in our history.
    As Paleo has pointed out you're arguing definitions. Which has no bearing whatsoever on the actual topic.
    What does familiar in history have to do with anything. Facts, the moon emits no light, moonlight is really sunlight. Can sunlight be stored? Not really that I am aware of, the heat can be stored and sunlight can be converted to electricity, neither will however provide light directly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    So you admit that solar energy can be stored.

    You are playing obtuse at this point and its not helping you at all.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Facts, the moon emits no light, moonlight is really sunlight.
    Correct and as you clearly state we call it moonlight.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    Obviously the poor guy has comprehension problems.
    Cut him some slack.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Facts, the moon emits no light, moonlight is really sunlight.
    Correct and as you clearly state we call it moonlight.
    We agree.

    And thus your opening statement that we could NOT store it is fallacious.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Facts, the moon emits no light, moonlight is really sunlight.
    Correct and as you clearly state we call it moonlight.
    We agree.

    And thus your opening statement that we could NOT store it is fallacious.
    What is the source of moonlight?

    Answer, the Sun.

    So yes there are many ways to store sunlight.

    Sunlight is the sugar in your coffee

    Sunlight is the wood in trees

    Sunlight is stored in the liquid oceans
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    Ahhhh, semantics arguments at their most tetchy
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A_mansour View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas
    The moon produces absolutely no light, that said nothing can store what does not exist
    And I quote for direct reference to Quantateds opening post in which they state moonlight can not be stored
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A_mansour View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Do you know if there are anything that naturally stores moonlight?
    like plants have chlorophyll to store sunlight and use it. Do we know anything that does similarly with moonlight?
    Thanx fellas
    The moon produces absolutely no light, that said nothing can store what does not exist
    And I quote for direct reference to Quantateds opening post in which they state moonlight can not be stored
    First of all superman I did not make the opening post here, second I tried to explain to the children here who all do as they are told when told to do it that moonlight is actually reflected sunlight, so it should be possible to store reflected sunlight. Sunlight is stored in a variety of ways and unfortunately provides the power source for imbecile brains that in delusional thoughts assume that the moon produces light.

    130

    CIAO
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    assume that the moon produces light.
    No one has claimed that.
    CIAO
    But you got that right. See you (if at all) in 3 days.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    assume that the moon produces light.
    No one has claimed that.
    CIAO
    But you got that right. See you (if at all) in 3 days.
    You will do better if you stick to

    Wabbit season
    Duck season
    Wabbit season
    Duck season
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    assume that the moon produces light.
    No one has claimed that.
    CIAO
    But you got that right. See you (if at all) in 3 days.
    You will do better if you stick to

    Wabbit season
    Duck season
    Wabbit season
    Duck season
    Bye.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantated View Post
    assume that the moon produces light.
    No one has claimed that.
    CIAO
    But you got that right. See you (if at all) in 3 days.
    You will do better if you stick to

    Wabbit season
    Duck season
    Wabbit season
    Duck season
    Bye.
    What are you? some kind of cartoon hater or something?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Plasma =Quantated by any chance?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Plasma =Quantated by any chance?
    I am one of the three users of this wildly popular internet site, you are another, a duck is the third.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Plasma =Quantated by any chance?
    I am one of the three users of this wildly popular internet site, you are another, a duck is the third.
    If you don't like it,fuck off.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Plasma =Quantated by any chance?
    I am one of the three users of this wildly popular internet site, you are another, a duck is the third.
    If you don't like it,fuck off.
    Heck I love being 33 percent of the total users here.

    Smile
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,327
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Plasma =Quantated by any chance?
    I suspect you are right, and I suspect the action notes will be updated by the duck soon enough.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Sophomore Double Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Plasma =Quantated by any chance?
    I suspect you are right, and I suspect the action notes will be updated by the duck soon enough.
    Fixation on the same thread is a good indication of this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Why is it so difficult to store hydrogen ?
    By leohopkins in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
  2. Moonlight
    By sunlight7 in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: February 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
  3. Can matter store information?
    By BumFluff in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •