Notices
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: The Physics Sub Forum

  1. #1 The Physics Sub Forum 
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    I don't agree with having a Physics sub forum, mainly because it reduces activity on the mother forum. Agree or Disagree?


    Last edited by AndresKiani; September 20th, 2014 at 07:03 PM.
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    I see there is a better section for this thread, so if moderators or admin want to relocate this, I will take no offence to it.


     

  4. #3  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    This is the 'mother forum'.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    This is the 'mother forum'.
    It reduces activity on this forum, yes. We would have more scientific discussion on this forum, hopefully attract more active members..
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    91
    I was told by one of the higher-ups of that forum that it was created for the specific purpose to have a toned down forum where the bad attitudes that find their way into this forum aren't tolerated in that one. At least that's what I was told.
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    287
    This forum has potential to gain members it LOSES them when users with high post count here think users should just "trust" their statements.

    There is no trust in science that's what makes it not a religion. EVERYTHING NEEDS EXPLANATION AND PROOF, something users fail to expletive deleted understand on here they just say no or yes without reasoning. They literally pull answers out the expletive deleted ying yang.

    Some respectable members like Markus understand science needs proof.
    Last edited by John Galt; September 21st, 2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Foul language.
    Newbie to Science, trying to educate myself on this forum and further my scientific knowledge.

    I like to ask a ton of questions so please be understanding!

    I like to think of new stuff and in new ways.
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob View Post
    This forum has potential to gain members it LOSES them when users with high post count here think users should just "trust" their statements.

    There is no trust in science that's what makes it not a religion. EVERYTHING NEEDS EXPLANATION AND PROOF, something users fail to fucking understand on here they just say no or yes without reasoning. They literally pull answers out the fucking ying yang.

    Some respectable members like Markus understand science needs proof.
    It takes a little bit for any new member to get acclimate to a forum. Younger scientists like myself will come on here with a lot of ideas a lot of interest in a lot of different things. Older scientists seem to be more by the textbooks as far as believes and ideas, straight to the facts.

    Either way, it takes a while for anyone to get acclimate it to any community/forum. We must be a little bit more welcoming
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob View Post
    This forum has potential to gain members it LOSES them when users with high post count here think users should just "trust" their statements.

    There is no trust in science that's what makes it not a religion. EVERYTHING NEEDS EXPLANATION AND PROOF, something users fail to fucking understand on here they just say no or yes without reasoning. They literally pull answers out the fucking ying yang.

    Some respectable members like Markus understand science needs proof.
    It takes a little bit for any new member to get acclimate to a forum. Younger scientists like myself will come on here with a lot of ideas a lot of interest in a lot of different things. Older scientists seem to be more by the textbooks as far as believes and ideas, straight to the facts.

    Either way, it takes a while for anyone to get acclimate it to any community/forum. We must be a little bit more welcoming
    Don't make assumptions about me or other younger scientists.


    I am by the facts as well, that's what leads me to generate my ideas.

    This is science not a religion like some users on here believe.
    Newbie to Science, trying to educate myself on this forum and further my scientific knowledge.

    I like to ask a ton of questions so please be understanding!

    I like to think of new stuff and in new ways.
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob View Post
    This forum has potential to gain members it LOSES them when users with high post count here think users should just "trust" their statements.

    There is no trust in science that's what makes it not a religion. EVERYTHING NEEDS EXPLANATION AND PROOF, something users fail to fucking understand on here they just say no or yes without reasoning. They literally pull answers out the fucking ying yang.

    Some respectable members like Markus understand science needs proof.
    It takes a little bit for any new member to get acclimate to a forum. Younger scientists like myself will come on here with a lot of ideas a lot of interest in a lot of different things. Older scientists seem to be more by the textbooks as far as believes and ideas, straight to the facts.

    Either way, it takes a while for anyone to get acclimate it to any community/forum. We must be a little bit more welcoming
    Don't make assumptions about me or other younger scientists.


    I am by the facts as well, that's what leads me to generate my ideas.

    This is science not a religion like some users on here believe.
    Why are you so sour? Did I insult your IQ level?

    I ignored your "religion" analogy, because it has nothing to do with what were talking about. Science is science we will all agree to that, however we are ALL also learning, and nobody has all the answers. Everyone is a student of science, everyone is still learning, everyone is on a different point on that journey.... you seem to have something harsh against.. ambition, learning, curiosity, and understanding.

    I'm a younger scientists, I'm 20 years old. I understand what is like to be curious and to learn. I don't have a big ego, maybe you do and I'm sorry I insulted it. I will know better next time.
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    I'm sorry brother, I think we just misunderstood each other and we are going off into wrong directions with this discussion anyways. In truth, we agree on the same exact morals, science is science. I live science just as you, science is my friend and I generally don't find much interest in any other philosophy.

    Either way this discussion is stirring away from Physics (Physics forum).. there was probably a better place for this thread to begin with. I see there is a "Site Feedback" section.
    Last edited by AndresKiani; September 21st, 2014 at 02:44 AM.
     

  12. #11  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,128
    Andres, Sciencenoob has delusions of competence and plain just doesn't like it when people don't take his unsupported assertions seriously and point out the flaws in his thinking, I've stopped wasting my time responding to him. This is what has lead to the whinging in the posts you quoted (he is on my ignore list for the reasons given in my first sentence)
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    I don't agree with having a Physics sub forum, mainly because it reduces activity on the mother forum. Agree or Disagree?
    Is there a mother forum? What is the mother Forum to you?
    I get it now you are talking about "The Physics Forum" and "The Science Forum" two separate forums, they aren't subforums.
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    I don't agree with having a Physics sub forum, mainly because it reduces activity on the mother forum. Agree or Disagree?
    Is there a mother forum? What is the mother Forum to you?
    I get it now you are talking about "The Physics Forum" and "The Science Forum" two separate forums, they aren't subforums.
    Trust me I know.. I used to attained computer forums when I was much younger frequently. To be politically correct, I would consider "sub" forums, sections of the main forum.

    Though, as you just realized, I was using "sub" forum referring to the "standalone" Physics forum, because in my mind I was thinking that's what you guys called it (when I read the memo below). Plus I don't think in English, so these jargons, don't come as naturally to me.

    We have launched a standalone physics forum at ThePhysicsForum.com. We encourage you to check it out. Besides, if you'd like to be a part of moderators team and/or help in setting up various sub-forums, please PM me (Admin). You can dismiss this notice permanently by clicking that red cross on far right.
     

  15. #14  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob View Post
    This forum has potential to gain members it LOSES them when users with high post count here think users should just "trust" their statements.
    Call out anyone who does this. Report the post it occurs in. Expect the same to occur in both directions.

    Andres, the other forum on physics was set up by the owner of this forum. I believe they wished to create a forum that did not tolerate the Einstein deniers and the Steady State nutcases that frequent this site. The relationship between the two is therefore primarily one of ownership and secondarily one of some members in common.
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    I don't agree with having a Physics sub forum, mainly because it reduces activity on the mother forum. Agree or Disagree?
    Is there a mother forum? What is the mother Forum to you?
    I get it now you are talking about "The Physics Forum" and "The Science Forum" two separate forums, they aren't subforums.
    Trust me I know.. I used to attained computer forums when I was much younger frequently. To be politically correct, I would consider "sub" forums, sections of the main forum.

    Though, as you just realized, I was using "sub" forum referring to the "standalone" Physics forum, because in my mind I was thinking that's what you guys called it (when I read the memo below). Plus I don't think in English, so these jargons, don't come as naturally to me.

    We have launched a standalone physics forum at ThePhysicsForum.com. We encourage you to check it out. Besides, if you'd like to be a part of moderators team and/or help in setting up various sub-forums, please PM me (Admin). You can dismiss this notice permanently by clicking that red cross on far right.
    To me sub-forums are the categories listed under the heading "Forum" e.g. Pseudoscience.
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob
    There is no trust in science
    In a sense that's true. However there is a sense where a kind of faith is used in science (kind of but not exactly the same). Consider physics. All branches of physics are based on certain laws aka axioms. An axiom, aka postulate, is a premise or starting point of reasoning. It's the basic premise that all laws of a branch of a field of physics are based on. An axiom is a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy. Do you know what that means? It means that it's, in a sense, taken on "faith." It means that we accept the premises without knowing whether they're actually true. I.e. we accept them as true. And we do that until it's proven false. In religion one uses faith which in this case means a confidence or trust in a person, thing or idea.
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post

    We have launched a standalone physics forum at ThePhysicsForum.com. We encourage you to check it out. Besides, if you'd like to be a part of moderators team and/or help in setting up various sub-forums, please PM me (Admin). You can dismiss this notice permanently by clicking that red cross on far right.
    I had a look, it is much worse than this forum, the level is really low, lower than here. A large majority of threads deal with basic misunderstandings of mainstream science, Markus has handed over moderation to a guy that doesn't know physics , so he cannot tell right from wrong and tk421 is the only person left to sort out things.
     

  19. #18  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    I had a look, it is much worse than this forum, the level is really low, lower than here. A large majority of threads deal with basic misunderstandings of mainstream science, Markus has handed over moderation to a guy that doesn't know physics , so he cannot tell right from wrong and tk421 is the only person left to sort out things.
    Get your facts right. Markus has added a moderator with the explicit task of stopping the childish bickering. It does not require a degree in physics to recognise when someone is being an arsehole.
     

  20. #19  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceNoob View Post
    This forum has potential to gain members it LOSES them when users with high post count here think users should just "trust" their statements.

    There is no trust in science that's what makes it not a religion. EVERYTHING NEEDS EXPLANATION AND PROOF, something users fail to expletive deleted understand on here they just say no or yes without reasoning. They literally pull answers out the expletive deleted ying yang.

    Some respectable members like Markus understand science needs proof.
    I have to pick you up on one point: science does not deal in proof, it deals in observational evidence.

    It is impossible to prove any theory in science true, because there may in principle always one another future observation that does not fit.

    It is unlike logic or mathematics in this respect.
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    I had a look, it is much worse than this forum, the level is really low, lower than here. A large majority of threads deal with basic misunderstandings of mainstream science, Markus has handed over moderation to a guy that doesn't know physics , so he cannot tell right from wrong and tk421 is the only person left to sort out things.
    Get your facts right. Markus has added a moderator with the explicit task of stopping the childish bickering. It does not require a degree in physics to recognise when someone is being an arsehole.
    The point is that the forum is , contrary to the owner's initial intention, at a level much lower than this one. Picking an incompetent moderator to replace Markus didn't help. Markus retirement makes it even worse. Having Mayflow running wild and "Physicist" posturing makes it even worse. And so on.
    Last edited by Howard Roark; September 23rd, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist
    I have to pick you up on one point: science does not deal in proof, it deals in observational evidence.
    That's not quite correct. Regarding proof; it's the laws of physics that can't be proved and experiments can't prove laws to be true. That's where the idea of "physics doesn't deal with proof" comes from. However physics does deal with proof in other ways. Anytime a physicist studies a phenomena, writes a paper or solves an equation or arrives at an expression to be compared with experimental results, its then that proof comes into play.

    Like anyone who presents a logical argument physicists start an argument with a proposition called a premise. It's a proposition which is assumed to be true for the sake of argument or as an axiom. Physicists typically use are the laws of nature as such axioms. The argument is then carried out using the rules of logic wherein a conclusion (aka consequent) is reached. This resulting statement is called a theorem and one says that the theorem has been proved by the argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist
    It is impossible to prove any theory in science true, because there may in principle always one another future observation that does not fit.

    It is unlike logic or mathematics in this respect.
    That's incorrect as explained above. It's no different in physics than it is in math. Math also uses axioms and those axioms also can't be proved so there's very little difference.
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark
    ..and tk421 is the only person left to sort out things.
    Merely your personal opinion on that point and not a very knowledgeable one at that. He hasn't demonstrated that he has a solid understanding of all the branches of physicists at the graduate level of any subject I've seen him post on. E.g. his latest comments on QM demonstrate that to be the case in QM. He resorts to "I'm right and your argument is wrong because I say so..." type of arguments as he did with the QM one. It's impossible to arrive at what he thinks is a fact using QM. And he shows no wish to arrive at the facts but only to win an argument. If he wanted to arrive at facts then he'd find the best quantum physicist he could find or the author of a text used at the best universities and ask a sampling of them for the correct argument to lead to what he's claiming is true. However he's not only never done that but shows no desire to. His grasp of physics is that of a student in training.

    The physics forum has me to sort everything out there. I have both the graduate training and thus understanding as demonstrated for a decade and a half that I have a physicists understanding of physics plus the credentials and superior references to back all of it up.

    This is NOT boasting in any shape of for because I'm merely describing myself in the way that my physics colleagues describe me in the references they provide for me.
    Last edited by physicist; September 23rd, 2014 at 10:23 PM.
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    I had a look, it is much worse than this forum, the level is really low, lower than here. A large majority of threads deal with basic misunderstandings of mainstream science, Markus has handed over moderation to a guy that doesn't know physics , so he cannot tell right from wrong and tk421 is the only person left to sort out things.
    That's quite wrong indeed. I'm a physicist with decades of experience and the equivalent of more than an MS in physics. I doubt tk421 has any degree in physics whatsoever. He certainly doesn't have a graduate level education in any branch of physics from what I've seen. tk421's knowledge and experience in physics has a great deal to be desired, not to mention a very bad attitude since he's been as rude as many posters.

    I have known tk421 for quite a while, contrary to your libelous statements, he's an excellent physicist. Your attempts at denigrating him are outrageous. You should be thankful to him, he's been spending a lot of time trying to correct your misconceptions pertaining to QM.
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    91
    Howard + tk421 - I hope you understand that you're both in my ignore list so whatever you say in response to what I post will never be read. You both chose to act in a non-civil way so I found it wise to put both of you in my ignore list. It's such a shame that neither of you can accord yourself as well as most others in this forum. Every time I disagreed with either of you you've chosen to be rude and insulting and I won't tolerate it again. Howard even lied about me and I don't tolerate lies. Howard claimed I couldn't admit my mistake about potential when in fact it was a mere typo. Since I've found that what he posts cannot be trusted I wasn't about to comment on it until I read it over very carefully and that wasn't until I did my errands and had dinner, which I told him and he was still not willing to wait. Unfortunately Howard is about as patient as a ten year old and kept claiming I can't admit my errors. That was the last straw so he's killfiled.

    So feel free to post anything you like my way with the delusion that I read them. However this post is a definite statement and promise to the entire forum and God should he exist that they will never be read by me.
     

  26. #25  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Enough of this bickering. Thread locked.
    Physicist gets 3 days off for bragging about qualifications, which he was warned not to do.
    Last edited by Harold14370; September 24th, 2014 at 05:25 AM.
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2014, 03:52 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
  4. Why did you launch a new Physics Forum?
    By dapifo in forum Physics
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: February 1st, 2013, 04:07 PM
  5. Physics Forum
    By sox in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •