Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpeedFreek

Thread: Does the expansion of the universe create endless energy?

  1. #1 Does the expansion of the universe create endless energy? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    77
    I hope this start of a thread will be an argument between two sides
    Side number 1, in order to have expansion there has to be energy, therefore creating endless energy.
    Side number 2, the expansion of empty space would not require anything in order to expand.

    And one last question that I think is interesting, Suppose you have a rubber ball close to the border of the universe, if you somehow teleported the ball outside the border, then would more space be created in the universe? I think this leads to the possibility to no end to the universe, because if there was a border then it would be constantly broken by space rocks exiting the universe.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpydolphin View Post
    I hope this start of a thread will be an argument between two sides
    Side number 1, in order to have expansion there has to be energy, therefore creating endless energy.
    Side number 2, the expansion of empty space would not require anything in order to expand.
    2. Expansion does not require energy.

    However, it has recently been discovered that the expansion is accelerating. One possible explanation is that there is (dark) energy associated with empty space. If so, then as space expands, it creates more dark energy.

    Suppose you have a rubber ball close to the border of the universe,
    There is no border. The universe is either infinite or finite but unbounded. For the latter, consider the surface of the Earth as a 2D analogy: it has a finite area but no edge.


    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpydolphin View Post
    I hope this start of a thread will be an argument between two sides
    Side number 1, in order to have expansion there has to be energy, therefore creating endless energy.
    Side number 2, the expansion of empty space would not require anything in order to expand.
    2. Expansion does not require energy.

    However, it has recently been discovered that the expansion is accelerating. One possible explanation is that there is (dark) energy associated with empty space. If so, then as space expands, it creates more dark energy.

    Suppose you have a rubber ball close to the border of the universe,
    There is no border. The universe is either infinite or finite but unbounded. For the latter, consider the surface of the Earth as a 2D analogy: it has a finite area but no edge.


    Hi!


    Just a few things... first of all, there is no such thing as empty space in quantum mechanics, all space has some associated matter or energy and even if you tried to make a pure vacuum, you'd still find residual energy called zero point energy.

    Also, I think it is thought that as the universe expands, more energy is released into the vacuum. This release of vacuum energy is due to the cosmological constant.

    I hope that clears a few misconceptions here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    77
    I hate quantom mechanics, I honestly think its one of those dream like topics, this is pretty much how it started what if there were 2 of everything.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    KJW
    KJW is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpydolphin View Post
    I hope this start of a thread will be an argument between two sides
    Side number 1, in order to have expansion there has to be energy, therefore creating endless energy.
    Side number 2, the expansion of empty space would not require anything in order to expand.
    2. Expansion does not require energy.

    However, it has recently been discovered that the expansion is accelerating. One possible explanation is that there is (dark) energy associated with empty space. If so, then as space expands, it creates more dark energy.
    Arguably, an expanding universe requires the energy-momentum that is implied by the metric via the Einstein equation.

    With regards to the opening post, there is no room for debate. The metric of the expanding universe unequivocally determines the energy-momentum.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpydolphin View Post
    I hope this start of a thread will be an argument between two sides
    Side number 1, in order to have expansion there has to be energy, therefore creating endless energy.
    Side number 2, the expansion of empty space would not require anything in order to expand.
    2. Expansion does not require energy.

    However, it has recently been discovered that the expansion is accelerating. One possible explanation is that there is (dark) energy associated with empty space. If so, then as space expands, it creates more dark energy.
    Arguably, an expanding universe requires the energy-momentum that is implied by the metric via the Einstein equation.

    With regards to the opening post, there is no room for debate. The metric of the expanding universe unequivocally determines the energy-momentum.

    It actually comes from the cosmological constant term in Einsteins equations.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    KJW
    KJW is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    It actually comes from the cosmological constant term in Einsteins equations.
    No, the metric of the spacetime determines the full energy-momentum (including vacuum energy-momentum).
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    It actually comes from the cosmological constant term in Einsteins equations.
    No, the metric of the spacetime determines the full energy-momentum (including vacuum energy-momentum).

    No, it's the cosmological constant which drives expansion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Ummm... from your link:

    The standard concordance model of the Universe is based on the cosmological constant as the driver of accelerating expansion
    The cosmological constant provides the acceleration. It is not the reason for the whole of the expansion.

    Without a cosmological constant the universe would still be expanding, but that expansion would be decelerating due to gravity. So the cosmological constant does not drive the expansion, it drives the acceleration of the expansion.
    Howard Roark likes this.
    "Ok, brain let's get things straight. You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's do this so I can go back to killing you with beer." - Homer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    KJW
    KJW is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    No, the metric of the spacetime determines the full energy-momentum (including vacuum energy-momentum).
    No, it's the cosmological constant which drives expansion.
    The definition of the Einstein tensor and the Einstein equation is an expression of the energy-momentum tensor in terms of the metric.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Ummm... from your link:

    The standard concordance model of the Universe is based on the cosmological constant as the driver of accelerating expansion



    Forgive me... but your point?

    If we knew what started big bang acceleration (something which I think has to do with the uncertainty principle), then we would have a full model. The things which drives acceleration is the cosmological constant, which does mean as the universe expands, more energy is released into the vacuum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    KJW
    KJW is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Ummm... from your link:

    The standard concordance model of the Universe is based on the cosmological constant as the driver of accelerating expansion
    Forgive me... but your point?

    If we knew what started big bang acceleration (something which I think has to do with the uncertainty principle), then we would have a full model. The things which drives acceleration is the cosmological constant, which does mean as the universe expands, more energy is released into the vacuum.
    The OP made no mention of accelerated expansion.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Ummm... from your link:

    The standard concordance model of the Universe is based on the cosmological constant as the driver of accelerating expansion
    Forgive me... but your point?

    If we knew what started big bang acceleration (something which I think has to do with the uncertainty principle), then we would have a full model. The things which drives acceleration is the cosmological constant, which does mean as the universe expands, more energy is released into the vacuum.
    The OP made no mention of accelerated expansion.

    I didn't think I needed to because I linked to the page.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    KJW
    KJW is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    The OP made no mention of accelerated expansion.
    I didn't think I needed to because I linked to the page.
    The point is that only the acceleration of the expansion is determined by the cosmological constant, not the expansion itself, which was what the OP asked about.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreek View Post
    Ummm... from your link:

    The standard concordance model of the Universe is based on the cosmological constant as the driver of accelerating expansion
    Forgive me... but your point?

    If we knew what started big bang acceleration (something which I think has to do with the uncertainty principle), then we would have a full model. The things which drives acceleration is the cosmological constant, which does mean as the universe expands, more energy is released into the vacuum.
    But the expansion was decelerating for 7-8 billion years, before it started to accelerate. During that time, the cosmological constant was not driving the acceleration of the expansion, but the universe was still expanding.
    "Ok, brain let's get things straight. You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's do this so I can go back to killing you with beer." - Homer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesslonesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    The OP made no mention of accelerated expansion.
    I didn't think I needed to because I linked to the page.
    The point is that only the acceleration of the expansion is determined by the cosmological constant, not the expansion itself, which was what the OP asked about.
    you are trying to reason with one of the most hardened cranks on the internet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM
  3. How to Create/Make energy ?
    By ScienceWiz in forum Physics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: February 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
  4. Theory about Dark Energy and Expansion of the Universe.
    By Fgil90 in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
  5. Did the Big Bang Create the Universe?
    By Raggedjoe in forum Physics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •