Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Frozen Raspberries in the Microwave

  1. #1 Frozen Raspberries in the Microwave 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9
    OK...

    This is really random, but earlier this week my boyfriend tried to thaw some frozen raspberries in the microwave for pancakes. They started to spark and the paper towel caught fire in the microwave.
    Afterward, we laughed about how unpredictable that incident was...
    But what properties in either raspberries, ice, or a microwave would cause this phenomenon?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. william's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am
    Posts
    935
    There was no metal (like tin foil, a cup that has a metal "ring" painted near the top, etc.)? If there was no metal, then that incident indeed seems strange....

    cheers


    "... the polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the invariable plane."
    ~Footnote in Goldstein's Mechanics, 3rd ed. p. 202
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9
    of course not...
    we know that metal sparks in the microwave,
    which made it particularly odd.

    Just frozen raspberries and a paper towel.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. william's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am
    Posts
    935
    "... the polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the invariable plane."
    ~Footnote in Goldstein's Mechanics, 3rd ed. p. 202
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9
    I discovered that, too.

    Is there an explanation?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Guest
    If you want to thaw frozen fruit in a microwave put a glass of water in there as well, otherwise all the power goes into the grape [or whatever] and this causes such intense electric fields leading to a breakdown, then a spark, and fire, Intense electric field plus flame = PLASMA! if you are careless you can even melt the steel wall of the oven....

    Put a glass over the top to contain the plasma BUT this can explode when you open the door!

    FOund it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ux8nSWmAz0

    It's the video of the grape, "DON'T FRY THIS AT HOME!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 I am a chef 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    I am a chef,

    About a month and a half ago I was melting butter in a microwave. the microwave we have in our kitchen is 2200 Watt.

    We had run out of the butter blocks and all we had was butter portions in individual packs.

    I took the top off the butter portion to melt it in the microwave (talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!)

    Anyway.......in it went, and i turned the microwave on to start doing other stuff in the kitchen, within a few seconds I turned around and noticed the microwave glowing from the inside, there was no sound that I would have expected from a "spark" - just what seemed to be a glowing plasma.

    Leaving a trail of bodily fluids behind me I ran over to the emergency stop button and immediately shut off power to the kitchen.

    It was then I noticed, upon looking at the butter portion that, although I had taken the top off, I had left a tiny tiny piece of foil on there.

    I had saved the day I thought ! (or almost ended it)

    That very same day (although irrelavent to the post I thougt it may make good reading so ill explain the rest of that day).......

    I was working placing food under the hot-halogen lamps in the kitchen in the evening. Just as I was pouring sauce from a ladel onto one of the plates, the ladel came into contact with something underneath the lights. All I can remember was seeing sparks and a loud bang as I was thrown backwards, narrowly missing falling into the fryers set at 190 deg C !!

    To make matters even WORSE, whatever it was that happened blew the main 100amp fuse to the building and as it was over xmas time, the resteraunt had to close for 3 days until someone from the electricity board could come and sort it out, and as the manager lived upstairs, he had no electric too.

    Needless to say he was not a happy chappy !!
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    so how is this plasma generated?
    is the plasma the same as fire?
    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    If you want to thaw frozen fruit in a microwave put a glass of water in there as well, otherwise all the power goes into the grape [or whatever] and this causes such intense electric fields leading to a breakdown, then a spark, and fire, Intense electric field plus flame = PLASMA! if you are careless you can even melt the steel wall of the oven....

    Put a glass over the top to contain the plasma BUT this can explode when you open the door!

    FOund it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ux8nSWmAz0

    It's the video of the grape, "DON'T FRY THIS AT HOME!"
    wow i gotta go and try it
    *Goes and tries it*
    AAAHHH MY HAIR IS BURNING
    *comes back 10 minutes later and got no hair*
    You really shouldnt try this at home it hurts
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 yes 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    Dejawolf,

    Yes a flame IS a plasma.

    Plasma is the fourth state of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, Plasma.

    When an exothermic reaction occurs, if the thermal energy released is sufficient, the air immeditaly around the reaction will change from a gas to a plasma. A plasma is merely a gas in such an energetic state that it is throwing off photons.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: yes 
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Yes a flame IS a plasma.
    Bollocks!

    Plasma is ionised gas. Whereas a flame is a chemical reaction which produces heat and light. It is the same as the chemical reaction that causes rust.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •