Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr

Thread: Humans: 10 dimensional beings?

  1. #1 Humans: 10 dimensional beings? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    26
    The universe we live in determines how many dimensions we exist in.

    If we live in a ten dimensional universe, we must be 10 dimensional beings. However, the length we would extend into the higher dimensions would be minimal. For example, a 2 dimensional creature residing in a 3 dimensional universe would have a length, width, and if you looked closely a small height. It would be similar to a piece of paper. The length and width of the paper are easily measurable, while the height would be extremely small and not easily measurable. If the paper had only a length, width, and no height, it would not exist in a 3 dimensional universe.

    Therefore, if we live in a universe with 10 spatial dimensions, we must be 10 dimensional beings.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    The universe we live in determines how many dimensions we exist in.

    If we live in a ten dimensional universe, we must be 10 dimensional beings. However, the length we would extend into the higher dimensions would be minimal. For example, a 2 dimensional creature residing in a 3 dimensional universe would have a length, width, and if you looked closely a small height. It would be similar to a piece of paper. The length and width of the paper are easily measurable, while the height would be extremely small and not easily measurable. If the paper had only a length, width, and no height, it would not exist in a 3 dimensional universe.

    Therefore, if we live in a universe with 10 spatial dimensions, we must be 10 dimensional beings.

    I do not think that your argument is valid for three reasons:
    1. It seems that your assumption and your conclusion are the same statement. That is circular reasoning.
    2. An object with 2 spatial dimensions in a 3D universe would still be an object with the same number of spatial dimensions. If an object has width, depth and height (which are all measurable), then it is not a two-dimensional object.
    3. Is an Universe with 10 spatial dimensions a viable model?


    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    The universe we live in determines how many dimensions we exist in.

    If we live in a ten dimensional universe, we must be 10 dimensional beings. However, the length we would extend into the higher dimensions would be minimal. For example, a 2 dimensional creature residing in a 3 dimensional universe would have a length, width, and if you looked closely a small height. It would be similar to a piece of paper. The length and width of the paper are easily measurable, while the height would be extremely small and not easily measurable. If the paper had only a length, width, and no height, it would not exist in a 3 dimensional universe.

    Therefore, if we live in a universe with 10 spatial dimensions, we must be 10 dimensional beings.

    I do not think that your argument is valid for two reasons:
    1. It seems that your assumption and your conclusion are the same statement. You might want to refrain from circular reasoning.
    2. Is an Universe with 10 spatial dimensions a viable model?
    1. I was just about to point that out haha.
    2. I think he's referring to string theory which afaik has no empirical support what so ever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    The universe we live in determines how many dimensions we exist in.
    Citation needed.

    If we live in a ten dimensional universe, we must be 10 dimensional beings.
    Citation needed.

    However, the length we would extend into the higher dimensions would be minimal.
    Why?

    For example, a 2 dimensional creature residing in a 3 dimensional universe would have a length, width, and if you looked closely a small height. It would be similar to a piece of paper.
    If it did have a height (of ANY size) then it wouldn't be a 2D creature: by definition.

    The length and width of the paper are easily measurable, while the height would be extremely small and not easily measurable. If the paper had only a length, width, and no height, it would not exist in a 3 dimensional universe.
    Therefore, if we live in a universe with 10 spatial dimensions, we must be 10 dimensional beings.
    Well so far you haven't supported your claim.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    26
    I apologize, I was not clear in my post. What I mean is that a 2 dimensional object cannot exist in a 3 dimensional universe, it must have the same number of spatial dimensions as the universe it resides in. This is because in a 3 dimensional universe an object with a length, width, and no height, would have no mass, therefore it must extend into the third dimension to exist as matter.

    Also all of my ideas are completely my own. However, I was inspired by a claim saying that the universe we live in could have higher dimensions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    I apologize, I was not clear in my post. What I mean is that a 2 dimensional object cannot exist in a 3 dimensional universe, it must have the same number of spatial dimensions as the universe it resides in. This is because in a 3 dimensional universe an object with a length, width, and no height, would have no mass, therefore it must extend into the third dimension to exist as matter.

    Also all of my ideas are completely my own. However, I was inspired by a claim saying that the universe we live in could have higher dimensions.

    Yes, but that does not take away the circular reasoning you have presented in your O.P.

    It might be true that there are additional spatial dimensions that are part of the Universe,
    but it is necessary to demonstrate that this idea has any scientific support, otherwise it remains an assumption that becomes a conclusion.

    I suppose that you are familiar with the work of Rob Bryanton, who made a YouTube-channel about these ideas?
    If you are not, feel free to watch this: Imagining 10 Dimensions - the Movie - YouTube
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; December 6th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    238
    If we live in a 10 dimensional universe then

    1) Dimensions have physical reality.
    2) We would experience 10 dimensions.

    Reality has however many dimensions we say it has, as long as those dimensions are meaningful and not an excuse to make up nonsense.

    What Just is saying makes sense, he might not be coming across as clearly as he intends to, but he's not claiming or supposing anything that isn't obvious. The problem is the specificity of 10 dimensions, but that's beside the point made here. It's the same thing as saying "If the universe is 3 dimensional (no more, no less, a point of fact), then everything in the universe is 3 dimensional."
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 87
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
  3. The first beings to believe in the divine...
    By verzen in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM
  4. Interactions between different dimensional beings
    By gpohls in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •