Notices
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By blackscorp
  • 3 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 2 Post By MagiMaster
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr

Thread: water asteroide hmmm....

  1. #1 water asteroide hmmm.... 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    yes we hear this for years... and it looks that this each day gets more and more accepted but why do we think that actually... that the water must have come from somewhere else???


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    We hear what for years? What is becoming more accepted? What water are you referring to?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    We hear what for years? What is becoming more accepted? What water are you referring to?
    there is a theory that all water of the earth comes from an or multiple asteroids... and this theory we hear for years... and this theory is being accepted each day more you hear more often about it...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    We hear what for years? What is becoming more accepted? What water are you referring to?
    there is a theory that all water of the earth comes from an or multiple asteroids... and this theory we hear for years... and this theory is being accepted each day more you hear more often about it...

    I am afraid that that is not entirely correct.

    Models that try to explain the origin of water on Earth do not solely rely on asteroids.
    A study (Morbidelli, A. et al., 2000) indicates that most of the water was present during the planetary formation; the accretion of proto-planets and the delivery of asteroids and comets took also part in the delivery of terrestrial H2O.

    Another examination (Drake, M.J., 2010) led to the hypothesis that rocks absorbed the gases present in the solar nebula, which led to an increase in the amount of water on Earth.
    KALSTER likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Isotope studies for comets and asteroids appear to favour the latter as the primary source. However, I note that comets we have this for are - exclusively I think - Kuiper Belt objects, not sourced from the Oort cloud. So, as C.E.S. says this is a very active area of research. The balance of view is that comets, or asteroids or both, provided most of the water, but precisely which ones remains an open question. The reason this is the balance of opinion is that this has the most evidence supporting it. Simples.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    I mean why... do we think that the water comes from somewhere else than earth???
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    The overwhelming consensus for the planetary formation process is that the planets formed from a collapsing cloud of gas and dust. The temperature in this cloud was greatest closest to the evolving proto-sun. Solids condensed out of the cloud on the basis of temperature. Consequently the high temperature minerals formed close to the sun.

    Water did not condense (and therefore become available for inclusion in the forming planets) until some considerable distance from the sun - probably about the position of the outer part of the asteroid belt. Consequently only minor amounts of water, tightly bound within the crystal structure of minerals, was present when the terrestrial planets formed. Yet the Earth has a great deal of water, Mars has some water and had much more in the past. This water had to come from somewhere - asteroids or comets are the most likely source.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    I stil don't get it why water has to come from somewhere... outside the eart you say it was to warm? im right???
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    I mean why... do we think that the water comes from somewhere else than earth???
    it is earth specific brand. no any alien MNC is involved.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    I stil don't get it why water has to come from somewhere... outside the eart you say it was to warm? im right???
    I don't understand your question. You say you don't understand why the water has to come from somewhere. That statement makes no sense to me. Here is why:

    There is water on the planet. From what we know of the process by which the planets form, this process would not permit/generate the amount of water that is actually here. Therefore the water had to arrive by some other means. Comets or asteroids are the best candidates.

    The reason water would not be present in quantity during the formation process is that the accretion disc from which the planets condense is hot, too hot for water, at the distance from the proto-sun at which the terrestrial planets formed. Does this clarify things for you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I stil don't get it why water has to come from somewhere... outside the eart you say it was to warm? im right???
    I don't understand your question. You say you don't understand why the water has to come from somewhere. That statement makes no sense to me. Here is why:

    There is water on the planet. From what we know of the process by which the planets form, this process would not permit/generate the amount of water that is actually here. Therefore the water had to arrive by some other means. Comets or asteroids are the best candidates.

    The reason water would not be present in quantity during the formation process is that the accretion disc from which the planets condense is hot, too hot for water, at the distance from the proto-sun at which the terrestrial planets formed. Does this clarify things for you?
    maybe... but first I need one other question to be answerd? what is comet and or asteroid???
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    maybe... but first I need one other question to be answerd? what is comet and or asteroid???

    Comet (ˈkä-mət):
    "a celestial body that appears as a fuzzy head usually surrounding a bright nucleus, that has a usually highly eccentric orbit, that consists primarily of ice and dust, and that often develops one or more long tails when near the sun"
    (Merriam-Webster)

    Asteroid (ˈas-tə-ˌroid):
    "any of the small rocky celestial bodies found especially between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter"
    (Merriam-Webster)
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    blackscorp, it would help me in answering your questions if I had an approxiate idea of your age and, if you are an adult, how extensive your education was. I understand if you consider these issues too personal - I ask only in order to give you better answers.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    blackscorp, it would help me in answering your questions if I had an approxiate idea of your age and, if you are an adult, how extensive your education was. I understand if you consider these issues too personal - I ask only in order to give you better answers.
    lets say im 5 years old... in education as in adultery can you than stil made your answer understandable?cought(better answes)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    OK. Thank you for that. Is there a reason you consistently write with major spelling errors and deplorable grammar? It makes it very difficult to understand what you are trying to say or ask.

    If you are a fourteen year old, or left school at a very young age, then I am sure members will persist in the effort to follow your posts. However, if you are simply a lazy adult, then it is going to become tedious after a while. Just something for you to ponder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    that's the internet power look if you think its worth to answer than answer if you don't than you can wait for others to post or check other treads right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Small tip though, most browsers support a dictionary plugin so you can just right click the words and get it to fix them for you. I use one.
    John Galt and Cogito Ergo Sum like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Actually globes of water are formed continually in our universe though compression of gasses. Earth was a globe of water in which grew minerals layer by microscopic layer, and that is not to say other planets do not form in the consensual way. Matter of every kind arises from energy, so the thought of mineral arising from energy contained in water should not seems strange as water is a humoungus source of energy, composed as it is of oxygen and hydrogen. It has been theorized very recently that solitary planets roaming space and sometimes being captured by stars are so numerous they can explain the effects of Dark Matter, and if you who are reading this have been reading science news in the past few years you will know the theory of the roaming planets was put by a respected scientist, not a 'quack' like me.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Can't find the delete button, somehow the above post reposted when I tried to edit it.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    Earth was a globe of water in which grew minerals layer by microscopic layer
    As you objected to me saying that most of your claims have no evidence, I assume you have some good evidence to support that ludicrous claim?
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    Earth was a globe of water in which grew minerals layer by microscopic layer
    As you objected to me saying that most of your claims have no evidence, I assume you have some good evidence to support that ludicrous claim?
    Very clear evidence .. a Hubble photo of the Waterfall Nebula on APOD. I don't have time to find my copy though. You could find it I'm sure by a search at APOD. It shows a red star sending out pulses of plasma that collect the water and shoot them into space. VERY CLEAR. I won't be back on this site after today to provide proof either because the admin and mods in this place are simply out of control demonic devils from satan out to destroy the spirit of science and truth.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I won't be back on this site after today
    That'll be an unmitigated relief.
    PhDemon likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    This: APOD: 2011 October 24 - HH 222: The Waterfall Nebula? That's not much to go on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Well, the waterfall nebula is full of water, isn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Why else would they give it that name.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    It shows a red star sending out pulses of plasma that collect the water and shoot them into space.
    Physically implausible but because you think that is what it looks like, "it must be true". Right.

    No point asking for, say, spectroscopic data to support this? Or peer-reviewed papers describing this process?

    No? Just in your imagination then.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    the admin and mods in this place are simply out of control demonic devils from satan out to destroy the spirit of science and truth.
    Citation needed.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Mexican headwear was formed from the remains of the Sombrero galaxy.
    "Ok, brain let's get things straight. You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's do this so I can go back to killing you with beer." - Homer
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 166
    Last Post: July 19th, 2013, 06:22 AM
  2. Gills: Fresh water fish vs Sea water?
    By icewendigo in forum Biology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
  4. Hmmm, eh... this science stuff goes way over my head.
    By FuturePasTimeCE in forum Physics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 16th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •