Notices
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Quantipararalela what?

  1. #1 Quantipararalela what? 
    Forum Freshman Dreamraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga(US)/ Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    59
    From my modest understanding of the speculative sub genre of physics, quantum mechanics theoretically makes alternate dimensions/universes/realities possible. Every possible act could and has theoretically sprouted a parallel reality. My question is, can there be a parallel reality where parallel realities do not exist. If so, wouldn't it nullify at least the multiple realities/dimensions/universes section of quantum mechanics?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  

    Related Discussions:

       

    • #2  
      Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      喫茶店
      Posts
      16,670
      Quote Originally Posted by Dreamraider View Post
      From my modest understanding of the speculative sub genre of physics, quantum mechanics theoretically makes alternate dimensions/universes/realities possible. Every possible act could and has theoretically sprouted a parallel reality.
      Note that that is simply an "interpretation" of quantum mechanics. As such it can never be proved or disproved (or even shown to have any connection to reality).

      My question is, can there be a parallel reality where parallel realities do not exist. If so, wouldn't it nullify at least the multiple realities/dimensions/universes section of quantum mechanics?
      Not in the many world's interpretation because "becoming a universe without quantum mechanics" is not one of the "decisions" that particles can make.


      Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
      Reply With Quote  
       

    • #3  
      Forum Freshman Dreamraider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Atlanta, Ga(US)/ Zurich, Switzerland
      Posts
      59
      What particular "decisions" can particles make? Isn't the process meant to be random?
      Reply With Quote  
       

    • #4  
      Forum Freshman Dreamraider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Atlanta, Ga(US)/ Zurich, Switzerland
      Posts
      59
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Dreamraider View Post
      From my modest understanding of the speculative sub genre of physics, quantum mechanics theoretically makes alternate dimensions/universes/realities possible. Every possible act could and has theoretically sprouted a parallel reality.
      Note that that is simply an "interpretation" of quantum mechanics. As such it can never be proved or disproved (or even shown to have any connection to reality).
      My question is, can there be a parallel reality where parallel realities do not exist. If so, wouldn't it nullify at least the multiple realities/dimensions/universes section of quantum mechanics?
      Not in the many world's interpretation because "becoming a universe without quantum mechanics" is not one of the "decisions" that particles can make.
      follow up question: can a particle "decide" to become a universe with quantum mechanics? It seems like a matter of relativity...
      Reply With Quote  
       

    • #5  
      Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      喫茶店
      Posts
      16,670
      Quote Originally Posted by Dreamraider View Post
      What particular "decisions" can particles make? Isn't the process meant to be random?
      Well, one good example is a piece of glass where you can see through it but also see a reflection. Half the light passes through and half is reflected back. Each photon has to make a 50:50 "decision" whether to pass through or be reflected from the surface. (Of course, this isn't a decision, it is just that the interactions end up with that probability.)

      So, in the many worlds interpretation, a new pair of worlds is "created" every time a photon does/doesn't go through the glass. (Given the number of photons and the number of interactions they each have, plus all the other particles, it soon gets very silly.)
      Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
      Reply With Quote  
       

    • #6  
      Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      喫茶店
      Posts
      16,670
      Quote Originally Posted by Dreamraider View Post
      follow up question: can a particle "decide" to become a universe with quantum mechanics? It seems like a matter of relativity...
      No. That is kind of the point I was trying to make: the universe is quantum mechanical. A particle can't avoid being probabilistic.
      Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
      Reply With Quote  
       

    Tags for this Thread

    View Tag Cloud

    Bookmarks
    Bookmarks
    Posting Permissions
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •