Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: the scientist and the spider

  1. #1 the scientist and the spider 
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    a scientist was in a room with a spider

    the scientist goes "BOO", the spider jumps

    The scientist pulls all the legs off the spider

    The scientist says "BOO" again, the spider just sit there


    "Therefore" the scientist says " if i pull the legs off the spider he goes deaf"


    Sorry just bored and it and makes a point about assumption in experimental science, no other reason


    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    399
    I punch you in the face, your nose bleeds, I therefore assume that you have blood in your nose, is that reasonable?

    Sorry, but for my callasness, but when a GOOD scientist makes assumptions they normally mention the external factors that might have contributed "noise" to their findings. For example: In your case thre good scientist would have noted that although the spider hadn't jumped I did pull its legs off!

    I will admit that htere are those that forge their results and deliberately find the things they are expecting, but my friend, they are to be frowned upon. Though shalt not follow in their wake.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    320
    I can't believe he PULLS the legs off?? How about we pull the legs off the scientist?? see how he like's it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    i take it from this that you dont have a sense of humour then? It wasnt something to take too seriously
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    I think the spider thought "Last time the bastard pulled all my legs off, I'll stay still this time and keep what's left.."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior Powerdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    270
    I have a far better example, that show that that you must beware of shortcuts in science. This example is true

    Scientific studies has proved that the number of heart attack is correlated to the number of phone of a countrie.
    Therefore phone produce heart attack. :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerdoc
    I have a far better example, that show that that you must beware of shortcuts in science. This example is true

    Scientific studies has proved that the number of heart attack is correlated to the number of phone of a countrie.
    Therefore phone produce heart attack. :P
    Perhaps it's something to do with the bill, you suddenly realise the kids have been using your phone.... :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior Powerdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by billco
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerdoc
    I have a far better example, that show that that you must beware of shortcuts in science. This example is true

    Scientific studies has proved that the number of heart attack is correlated to the number of phone of a countrie.
    Therefore phone produce heart attack. :P
    Perhaps it's something to do with the bill, you suddenly realise the kids have been using your phone.... :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    399
    Countries with a lot of phones also have a lot of McDonalds. Nuff said.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Strugle Town
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    i take it from this that you dont have a sense of humour then? It wasnt something to take too seriously
    :wink: Except by the spider
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    There's also a link between countries keeping statitics and......
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by billco
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerdoc
    I have a far better example, that show that that you must beware of shortcuts in science. This example is true

    Scientific studies has proved that the number of heart attack is correlated to the number of phone of a countrie.
    Therefore phone produce heart attack. :P
    Perhaps it's something to do with the bill, you suddenly realise the kids have been using your phone.... :wink:
    Is that really that surprising?
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •