Take a hollow soft plastic pipes one meter long, outer diameter 8 mm, internal diameter 6 mm, fill it up with salt water.
Take an iron shaft with 20 mm diameter.
Make the pipe rolled on the iron shaft as a spiral pipe.
Insert electrodes in plastic pipe ends , connect the two electrodes in 6 volt dc power between anode and cathode.
Turn on the switch, let the current run through , the both ends of the shaft cannot absorb any small nails!
Maybe my expriment is not accurate?
Perhaps Osterad only said out a half truth: the current in the solid metal conductor has magnetic effect,and the current runs in an electrolyte solution does not produce any magnetic effect at all.
Who is interested in it and would like to verify it or explain it?