Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: coal vs matter

  1. #1 coal vs matter 
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    if old coal provide more energy than can we say that old matter in nuclear reactor will provide more energy ???!!!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    No. What makes you think there would be any correlation?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    it is very student type question. but still a question. more the coal remain under ground more it produce energy, as it contain more carbon. i am confused! here. can matter be old as coal. if yes than my question is valid
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,524
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    it is very student type question. but still a question. more the coal remain under ground more it produce energy, as it contain more carbon. i am confused! here. can matter be old as coal. if yes than my question is valid
    Coal doesn't gain more carbon the longer it is underground. It takes quite a long time for the trees, etc. to be converted to coal, but after that it just stays there until it is dug up and burnt.

    Radioactive material is constantly decaying and so loses energy all the time, even while in the ground. We can stick it in a box and capture some of that energy but if we don't it would eventually all disappear (in billions of years).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    it is very student type question. but still a question. more the coal remain under ground more it produce energy, as it contain more carbon. i am confused! here. can matter be old as coal. if yes than my question is valid
    Coal doesn't gain more carbon the longer it is underground. It takes quite a long time for the trees, etc. to be converted to coal, but after that it just stays there until it is dug up and burnt.

    Radioactive material is constantly decaying and so loses energy all the time, even while in the ground. We can stick it in a box and capture some of that energy but if we don't it would eventually all disappear (in billions of years).
    so older matter have less energy?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,524
    [QUOTE=precious;291518so older matter have less energy?[/QUOTE]

    Not necessarily. Radioactive material decays at a steady rate, releasing energy (and losing mass) in the process. Eventually it is no longer radioactive and we can no longer use it as a source of energy.

    Coal in the ground has as much energy today as it did a million years ago.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Coal in the ground has as much energy today as it did a million years ago.
    This is not strictly true. As coal matures it compacts further and undergoes chemical changes. Together this increases its energy content per kilogram.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,524
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Coal in the ground has as much energy today as it did a million years ago.
    This is not strictly true. As coal matures it compacts further and undergoes chemical changes. Together this increases its energy content per kilogram.
    Interesting. Presumably by increasing its density? And presumably there is a limit to this process?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Coal in the ground has as much energy today as it did a million years ago.
    This is not strictly true. As coal matures it compacts further and undergoes chemical changes. Together this increases its energy content per kilogram.
    Interesting. Presumably by increasing its density? And presumably there is a limit to this process?
    The primary process at work in coalification is the release of volatiles. These are typically water, carbon dioxide, and the lighter hydrocarbons, in particular methane. Despite the loss of some carbon in this process the over all carbon proportion increases. The material moves from peat to lignite to sub-bituminous coal to bituminous to anthracite. Anthracite has over 90% carbon content and is the end product of coalification.
    Strange likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,524
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    The primary process at work in coalification is the release of volatiles. These are typically water, carbon dioxide, and the lighter hydrocarbons, in particular methane. Despite the loss of some carbon in this process the over all carbon proportion increases. The material moves from peat to lignite to sub-bituminous coal to bituminous to anthracite. Anthracite has over 90% carbon content and is the end product of coalification.
    Excellent summary. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    if old coal provide more energy than can we say that old matter in nuclear reactor will provide more energy ???!!!
    Old Coal ? - is there any other kind ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,524
    Quote Originally Posted by tszy View Post
    Old Coal ? - is there any other kind ?
    Older coal?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the enlightening rod.
    Posts
    936
    Coal can also contain radioactive elements such as thorium and uranium plus their decay products, to further muddle the issue.

    Whatever that may be.

    All these things are types of matter, so...?
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.- Thucydides
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,524
    Quote Originally Posted by The Finger Prince View Post
    Coal can also contain radioactive elements such as thorium and uranium plus their decay products, to further muddle the issue.
    Indeed. And people are exposed to far more radiation from coal-fired power stations than they are nuclear.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by The Finger Prince View Post
    Coal can also contain radioactive elements such as thorium and uranium plus their decay products, to further muddle the issue.

    Whatever that may be.

    All these things are types of matter, so...?
    i think you got the point. you have made this querry invalid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    it is very student type question. but still a question. more the coal remain under ground more it produce energy, as it contain more carbon. i am confused! here. can matter be old as coal. if yes than my question is valid
    Coal doesn't gain more carbon the longer it is underground. It takes quite a long time for the trees, etc. to be converted to coal, but after that it just stays there until it is dug up and burnt.

    Radioactive material is constantly decaying and so loses energy all the time, even while in the ground. We can stick it in a box and capture some of that energy but if we don't it would eventually all disappear (in billions of years).
    so older matter have less energy?
    old coal have more gravity injection?

    is gravity enery injector?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    i think you got the point. you have made this querry invalid.
    Sorry, what was the point?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    @ Gohn Galt. please read this post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Finger Prince View Post
    Coal can also contain radioactive elements such as thorium and uranium plus their decay products, to further muddle the issue.

    Whatever that may be.

    All these things are types of matter, so...?
    though i knew that coal is matter but i ignored this in my first post. i clearly pointed coal and matter , which is wrong. as coal is nothing but matter. but my question was very simple, needed no such explanation. i was refering to radioactivity while i compared coal with matter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Making gasoline from coal
    By kojax in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 30th, 2011, 08:11 PM
  2. EPA rejects major coal mining project
    By Lynx_Fox in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
  3. Coal mining
    By wojang in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 27th, 2009, 02:30 PM
  4. Coal and greenhouse gases.
    By Bunbury in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
  5. ethanol vs carbon(coal)
    By goodgod3rd in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •