Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: if matter has inertia then what energy has!

  1. #1 if matter has inertia then what energy has! 
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    @ strange:
    i have not got the answer


    Last edited by precious; November 9th, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Just because you can ask a question doesn't mean there must be an answer!

    I don't think the question makes sense. Inertial mass is an intrinsic property of matter. Mass can be converted to energy.

    So, I suppose the answer must be: energy.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    kindly explain w r t, E=mC2 format.

    as i am really interested in this matter
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    m = mass (inertial or gravitational, as far as we know they are the same thing).
    c2 = a constant of proportionalty
    E = energy

    Energy and mass are interchangeable.

    So, the equivalent of inertia (mass) is ... energy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    you are saying that energy has also inertia.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    you are saying that energy has also inertia.
    If mass and energy are interchangeable in GR then, yes, I suppose you can say that. I'm not sure it is helpful, though
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    ok,,,, lets wait for a much certain answer, but you are logically convincing
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    Inertia is a quality or characteristic of matter. Energy does not have inertia. Energy has wave length and amplitude and other characteristics that matter does not have.

    Just because matter can be converted in to energy does not mean that the two have the same characteristics. For example: If you can sell a horse for $500, then one horse = $500. Both the horse and the money have value but the horse has life and the money will gain interest if you put it in a bank. Just because something can be converted into something else does not mean it has the same characteristis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    sealeaf is more convincing
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree PetTastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    421
    Can you say that energy always has a form that has an associated mass?
    For example, photons have no rest mass but do have momentum/inertia associated with their energy.
    I believe in nothing, but trust gravity to hold me down and the electromagnetic force to stop me falling through
    Physics is the search for the best model not the truth, as only mythical beings know that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by PetTastic View Post
    Can you say that energy always has a form that has an associated mass?
    Yes. For example, energy in any form has a gravitational effect which is the same as the equivalent mass.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PetTastic View Post
    Can you say that energy always has a form that has an associated mass?
    Yes. For example, energy in any form has a gravitational effect which is the same as the equivalent mass.
    Right, so you have to be sure what the relative part if. Restmass is rest in relation to ..earth. Now that,s relative also (particular perspective). In universal (not particular) sense that,s not necessarily the ultimate objektive perspective.

    So it depends how you want to formulate things. Formulated to the particular perspective, restmass is restmass, not subjektive but (then) from the choice of perspective absolute. But it,s not absolute because the point of perspective is relative.

    So why not skip the idea of restmass ; all mass is non-restmass (but energy ecquivalent) and rest mass is rest to earth (gravitation) mass. Restmass becomes relative then because the point of perspective becomes relative and involved (as any particular point of view).

    Does or would such a shift to not a particularly prefered point of perspective change the way the question can be responded to ?

    If "what properties does energy have instead of inertia ?" is the question a simple response would be: "it has no properties".
    If that,s a problem then it,s - apparently - a problem that no properties would imply no effect possible. It shows an identification (confusion) between properties and effect. There is no proof (or provabillity) for such an idea.

    Other questionable idea is that inertia is a property. Being patience is "being patient" or "having patience". Verb expressions nothing to do with properties. Is inertia a property of things then ?

    It seems to be for some. But Einstein stated energie and inertia as ecquivalents (not as identicals or the same).
    Not just for a relative part.
    Last edited by Ghrasp; November 10th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    Inertia is a quality or characteristic of matter. Energy does not have inertia. Energy has wave length and amplitude and other characteristics that matter does not have.


    Just because matter can be converted in to energy does not mean that the two have the same characteristics. For example: If you can sell a horse for $500, then one horse = $500. Both the horse and the money have value but the horse has life and the money will gain interest if you put it in a bank. Just because something can be converted into something else does not mean it has the same characteristis.
    This is quite right, however i couldn't resist the urge to nit pick on one point.
    Wavelength and amplitude are characteristics of systems such as photons, which of course transfer energy between systems in an electromagnetic interaction. However i would argue that photon's are energetic, as opposed to energy. I say this because, from the view point of quantum mechanics, photons are systems who's observables are energy, wavelengths can be calculated from these measurements of energy. So photon's have wavelength, as does matter actually (See Debroglie Wavelength), but energy on the other hand is just the amount of work required to make a specified change in the state of a system.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior precious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    304
    this thread has become complex. i cant understand final 4 posts
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Professor of Articulation Zesterer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The fourth dimension, our universe, the milkyway, outer galactic spiral 8, the solar system, earth.
    Posts
    43
    Energy in its most basic for is the ability of matter to interact with other medium or have a potential to alter its current state - in the cause of inertia, we can say that if an object is capable of changing its own or another objects course of motion, according to the laws of Newtonian physics. However, to adjust Einstein's two theories of gravity and relativity, we must alter this definition of energy to deal with two simple and proved facts. 1. Time is not absolute. It is affected by motion, or energy transfer through a medium. 2. The speed of light is a universal speed limit. However, for the understanding of energy in a basic and correct form (excluding atomic and terrestrial levels of scale), the first definition is satisfactory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Geo
    Geo is offline
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    273
    Matter is held together by forces.

    A force is an energy.

    Two particles held together by a force have a greater mass than the same two particles individually.

    The extra mass comes from the force holding them together. If I split them the force holding them together is released as energy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Geo
    Geo is offline
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    273
    Energy does have inertia when it's inside the nucleus.

    Matter isn't converted into energy per se.

    The force that holds matter together is converted into energy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. intermediate between matter and energy?
    By precious in forum Physics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: November 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
  2. Energy, matter and time
    By Geo in forum Physics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: August 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
  3. Hypothesis , Matter from energy from matter.
    By Max Time Taken in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: July 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
  4. What is matter and energy?
    By spaceends in forum Physics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
  5. Energy being converted into matter?
    By trewsx7 in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: August 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •