Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space?

  1. #1 Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity, would enough velocity still pull you back in your seat the same way accelerating in a car does? Or would there be no sensation at all?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Senior Imaplanck.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity, would enough velocity still pull you back in your seat the same way accelerating in a car does? Or would there be no sensation at all?
    Hmmm is this going to lead to a bashing of the equivalence priciple, by any chance? or do you genuinely not know the physicists aswer to this question?


    "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior Vroomfondel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    234
    No. Enough velocity will NOT be noticed, no matter how great it is. This is because of Galilean Relativity. Enough acceleration will put you back in your seat in the same way as accelerating in a car or laying on the earth, as the equivalence principle states.
    I demand that my name may or may not be vroomfondel!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    No. Enough velocity will NOT be noticed, no matter how great it is. This is because of Galilean Relativity. Enough acceleration will put you back in your seat
    I agree. Velocity is irrelevant. Acceleration is the key.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    i concure
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Junior Vroomfondel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    What if "15 bilion light years" means being next to a binary pulsar? Im pretty sure gravity cant be ignored there
    I demand that my name may or may not be vroomfondel!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    What if "15 bilion light years" means being next to a binary pulsar? Im pretty sure gravity cant be ignored there
    If you look carefully, the question is not whether gravity can be ignored, but whether gravity exerted by the earth, this earth, can be ignored. Proximity to a binary pulsar will have no effect on what gravity may or may not be exerted by the earth. I think that you just misread the point.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    No. Enough velocity will NOT be noticed, no matter how great it is. This is because of Galilean Relativity. Enough acceleration will put you back in your seat in the same way as accelerating in a car or laying on the earth, as the equivalence principle states.
    Thanks for the replies everyone, but this answers my question. It has always bothered me how Star Trek/Star Wars use gravity simulation as if it were a simlpe innovation; giant ships take off from a planet's surface smoothly and effortlessly without any noticeable exhaust, w/o transition between the planet's gravitational force and the artificial one once in space. I would think any magnetic(?) simulation of gravity would have adverse effects on human physiology, and we would need some gravity at some point to make things like our digestive track work properly. So realistically, space ships of our future might look more like rockets or skyscrapers than the Enterprise or a Star Destroyer, right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    So realistically, space ships of our future might look more like rockets or skyscrapers than the Enterprise or a Star Destroyer, right?
    I don't know why. Would you lay your city out as a couple of extremely long blocks or as many more shorter blocks? I would prefer the latter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13
    However we weren't talking about cities, but ships/space travel.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    However we weren't talking about cities, but ships/space travel.
    I disagree. I don't see any reason to care about the shape solely in the interests of travel itself. Therefore, I am framing the argument in terms of the living arranagements of the numerous people who would engage in such travel. This is quite analogous to a city, isn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Junior Vroomfondel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    What if "15 bilion light years" means being next to a binary pulsar? Im pretty sure gravity cant be ignored there
    If you look carefully, the question is not whether gravity can be ignored, but whether gravity exerted by the earth, this earth, can be ignored. Proximity to a binary pulsar will have no effect on what gravity may or may not be exerted by the earth. I think that you just misread the point.
    I knew what you meant, i was just wondering how you would reply
    I demand that my name may or may not be vroomfondel!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    What if "15 bilion light years" means being next to a binary pulsar? Im pretty sure gravity cant be ignored there
    If you look carefully, the question is not whether gravity can be ignored, but whether gravity exerted by the earth, this earth, can be ignored. Proximity to a binary pulsar will have no effect on what gravity may or may not be exerted by the earth. I think that you just misread the point.
    I knew what you meant, i was just wondering how you would reply
    I too was wondering, what it would look like to have extremely nested posts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    However we weren't talking about cities, but ships/space travel.
    I disagree. I don't see any reason to care about the shape solely in the interests of travel itself. Therefore, I am framing the argument in terms of the living arranagements of the numerous people who would engage in such travel. This is quite analogous to a city, isn't it?
    Either way I'd care about the shape if I were designing it, as longer rather than taller would be less aerodynamic, if that's the right word for space travel, wouldn't it? And whatever gravity force would be opposite from the propulsion, if only as you accelerate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    What if "15 bilion light years" means being next to a binary pulsar? Im pretty sure gravity cant be ignored there
    If you look carefully, the question is not whether gravity can be ignored, but whether gravity exerted by the earth, this earth, can be ignored. Proximity to a binary pulsar will have no effect on what gravity may or may not be exerted by the earth. I think that you just misread the point.
    I knew what you meant, i was just wondering how you would reply
    I too was wondering, what it would look like to have extremely nested posts.
    Yes, it makes for an interesting looking post.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    Either way I'd care about the shape if I were designing it, as longer rather than taller would be less aerodynamic, if that's the right word for space travel, wouldn't it? And whatever gravity force would be opposite from the propulsion, if only as you accelerate.
    don't really know, of course, but I think that once in space all of these would be irrelevant in terms of effect.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18 Re: Does velocity simulate or create gravity in outer space? 
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfondel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Quote Originally Posted by NotBob
    If you were traveling far enough from earth not to feel its gravity,
    When you say "feel its gravity", do you mean be unaffected by it? If so, you would have to travel some 15 billion light years ago to satisfy this requirement.
    What if "15 bilion light years" means being next to a binary pulsar? Im pretty sure gravity cant be ignored there
    If you look carefully, the question is not whether gravity can be ignored, but whether gravity exerted by the earth, this earth, can be ignored. Proximity to a binary pulsar will have no effect on what gravity may or may not be exerted by the earth. I think that you just misread the point.
    I knew what you meant, i was just wondering how you would reply
    I too was wondering, what it would look like to have extremely nested posts.
    Yes, it makes for an interesting looking post.
    Notice how this is now symmetrical, in terms of the posters.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •