Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: fuel-less generator

  1. #1 fuel-less generator 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4
    Hi all,

    When I was a kid, I like to break unusable things and retrieve playable items such as magnets from them. Similarly I had a base of speaker (which is a ring of magnet stick to a metal base) and a coil (wrapped around rotor and its contractors) of dc motor. While playing with these items, I noticed following phenomena:


    When I spin the rotor like spin-top, and slowly bring the magnet closer to it from top, at certain point, the coil (which is spinning like top), slightly raise from table (like levitation), and attain a certain rotational velocity (which is increased, but get to static soon) and gets in stable condition (means, remain in this condition for seconds, as if, if hands do not shake or move, it will remain in this condition forever).

    Possible reasons could be:
    The magnet is producing circular magnetic waves, and when coil is rotating in circular motion, within magnetic field, it also generate some sort of (electric field which produce) magnetic field, thus that magnetic field is giving it force to have rotational motion.

    As electricity is constantly getting increasingly costly due to costly fuel, can we bring this phenomena to electric-generators, such that small amount of fuel/electric current, could be used to start the generator and once it is started, cutting off the fuel/electric current supply and it keeps generating current?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: fuel-less generator 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by anees
    Hi all,
    ...As electricity is constantly getting increasingly costly due to costly fuel, can we bring this phenomena to electric-generators, such that small amount of fuel/electric current, could be used to start the generator and once it is started, cutting off the fuel/electric current supply and it keeps generating current?
    Welcome to thescienceforum! :-D

    What your describing is a perpetual motion machine - in this case one that not only requires no energy to operate, but also produces usable energy out of nothing. This isn't possible:
    There is undisputed scientific consensus that perpetual motion would violate either the first law of thermodynamics, the second law of thermodynamics, or both. Machines which comply with both laws of thermodynamics but access energy from obscure sources are sometimes referred to as perpetual motion machines, although they do not meet the standard criteria for the name.
    (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion )

    Chris


    It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    Robert H. Goddard - 1904
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: fuel-less generator 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMYTH3025
    Quote Originally Posted by anees
    Hi all,
    ...As electricity is constantly getting increasingly costly due to costly fuel, can we bring this phenomena to electric-generators, such that small amount of fuel/electric current, could be used to start the generator and once it is started, cutting off the fuel/electric current supply and it keeps generating current?
    Welcome to thescienceforum! :-D

    What your describing is a perpetual motion machine - in this case one that not only requires no energy to operate, but also produces usable energy out of nothing. This isn't possible:
    There is undisputed scientific consensus that perpetual motion would violate either the first law of thermodynamics, the second law of thermodynamics, or both. Machines which comply with both laws of thermodynamics but access energy from obscure sources are sometimes referred to as perpetual motion machines, although they do not meet the standard criteria for the name.
    (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion )

    Chris
    Hi Chris,

    Thank you for your kind greetings
    But I am telling you my practical experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    162
    I applaud your confidence in your observations. You should try to make a working model that demonstrates the effect you describe. It could make you a rich person.

    Chris
    It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    Robert H. Goddard - 1904
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMYTH3025
    I applaud your confidence in your observations. You should try to make a working model that demonstrates the effect you describe. It could make you a rich person.

    Chris
    Thanks Chris. I will work on it someday, but I haven't got any time right now. I just wanted "my experience" to come out, which might benefit someone.
    Thanks for giving the link ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

    Just another of my observation, according to the above link:

    Machines which comply with both laws of thermodynamics but access energy from obscure sources are sometimes referred to as perpetual motion machines, although they do not meet the standard criteria for the name.
    So, here we have obvious magnetic field giving the force for rotational motion.

    There is also a reference of a device, Perepiteia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perepiteia, whose operation seems to me similar, to what I mentioned above.

    Thank you.

    Regards,
    Anees Haider
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    162
    I wish Mr. Thane Heins well in his efforts to understand and exploit this effect.

    Chris
    It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    Robert H. Goddard - 1904
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMYTH3025
    I wish Mr. Thane Heins well in his efforts to understand and exploit this effect.

    Chris
    Yes, I wish him good luck too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •