Notices
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Time Travel

  1. #1 Time Travel 
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
    Posts
    1
    If I had the means to move through space faster than the speed of light does that mean that i can technically age slower than people on earth. I heard a theory that for every day i travelled at the speed of light the people on earth would have ages a year??


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    You're thinking of the twins paradox, and you don't have to surpass the speed of light for the time dilation effect you describe to happen. Sub-luminal speeds will achieve the same thing, more so as you get closer and closer to light speed.

    In fact, going faster than light speed implies that you'd be able to travel back in time, but since objects with mass cannot achieve light speed, that is speculative science fiction at best.

    As you go really fast, though... Relative to people on Earth, you'll age more slowly relative to them.

    http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einstein...in_paradox.htm


    You can also google the Hafele-Keating experiment to see how this has been demonstrated empirically here on Earth by flying jets around the world... Time dilated exactly as predicted by the equations of relativity. Pretty cool, really.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRmCqylsME
    http://sheol.org/throopw/sr-ticks-n-bricks.html


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Time Travel 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    If I had the means to move through space faster than the speed of light does that mean that i can technically age slower than people on earth. I heard a theory that for every day i travelled at the speed of light the people on earth would have ages a year??
    You can't go faster thatn the speed of light.

    You can age less by traveling at 1 mph relative to earth, just not much less.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,319
    Time dilation formula. Special Relativity. Only for relative velocities, not relative gravitational field's.



    (T) is elapsed time, for the stationary observer. (T') is travel time for the moving observer. (v) is the relative velocity of the moving observer.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil
    Time dilation formula. Special Relativity. Only for relative velocities, not relative gravitational field's.



    (T) is elapsed time, for the stationary observer. (T') is travel time for the moving observer. (v) is the relative velocity of the moving observer.
    The correct formula is



    Unless v is an appreciable fraction of c the effect is miniscule.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,319
    Stupid book. I should have looked at one of my others. Well I got one for the bar-b-q now. Yeah, DrRocket's formula. That erroneous equation came from a college algebra text.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    The erroneous one is still true, but only when v is expressed as fractions of c. The one DrRocket posted is true regardless of which system of units you use.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20
    i wanna ask dr.rocket that what does in mean one would travel backward in time
    if he travels faster than speed of light, please give me physical picture as much as posible and for twins paradox one doesnt need to travel faster than speed light as theory said.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by saurab dulal
    i wanna ask dr.rocket that what does in mean one would travel backward in time
    if he travels faster than speed of light, please give me physical picture as much as posible and for twins paradox one doesnt need to travel faster than speed light as theory said.
    1. You can't travel faster than light.

    2. You can't travel back in time either.

    3. Even applying the Lorentz transform of special relativity without thought and plugging in a speed faster than light does not result in a negative tiime interval (aka going back in time) but rather results in complex imaginary time, which makes no sense at all. The theory does not let you travel back in time.

    4. There are some rather bizare circumstances in general relativity that result in closed timelike curves, which would be traveling backward in time, but they occur inside the event horizon of a Kerr black hole. Even if they are physicall possible, going inside the event horizon of a black hole is not a good idea. It is not clear that these closed timelike curves are really physical either. They may represent a problem with general relativity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    2. You can't travel back in time either

    Yes you can
    all you need is two cosmic strings that spiral arownd each other that twists space time in to a vortex and vwala a time portal

    ps don't you whatch the sience ch

    also nothing is imposible if just given the proper mind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,319
    Aw, crap.
    Well, maybe this will be funny.
    Okay, the apparent stochastic nature of quantum phenomena lead's to multiple paradoxes concerning time travel. This is for me, reductio ad absurdem. I am prepared to argue against time travel, albeit primarily from a philosophical position.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by zacht016z

    ps don't you whatch the sience ch
    Not often. To much of it is somewhere between wild speculation and just plain wrong. Your example qualifies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by zacht016z
    also nothing is imposible if just given the proper mind
    Nothing is impossible? Okay, then. Find me a rational square root of the number two. Ready? Go!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    this I know, but the phisics usualy check out, also the one thing that makes this impobable is that they have not located a cosmic string but, aperantly ,matamaticly they must exist
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    this I know, but the phisics usualy check out, also the one thing that makes this impobable is that they have not located a cosmic string but, aperantly ,matamaticly they must exist
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Is the above an attempt to recreat the Twins Paradox? Which post is older?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil
    Aw, crap.
    Well, maybe this will be funny.
    Okay, the apparent stochastic nature of quantum phenomena lead's to multiple paradoxes concerning time travel. This is for me, reductio ad absurdem. I am prepared to argue against time travel, albeit primarily from a philosophical position.
    Thank you for this something to do

    For instance, you can't reach overlightspeed with a mass. Atleast, that's the myth.
    Lightspeed is peace of cake, they are called photons.
    It would take all energy in the universe to make a tachyone. Luckily that exists in a black hole, that is why if a black hole radiate energy from within the black hole radius it would be in the form of a tachyone.
    Imagine a reaction in the black hole. Both particles have neverending mass, the product is neverending, that is to say, the overlightspeed photon, called tachyone, escapes the black hole due to its properties of moving backwards in time.

    when the tachyone escapes the black hole, it regains it's non accelerated properties and isn't neverending anymore, all according to the enhanced relativity theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,319
    matamaticly they must exist
    In all the history of human thought, mathematics is the most rigorous and logically consistent language to have ever existed. It is powerful and essential(mathematics). I submit that it must be considered however, that the map is not the territory. Because it can be said, that doesn't make it true.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    If the energy for a photon initially is neverending, like in a black hole (according to relativity) a particle faster then the speed of light can form, and a such would escape the black hole. Atleast occasionally.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    If the energy for a photon initially is neverending, like in a black hole (according to relativity) a particle faster then the speed of light can form, and a such would escape the black hole. Atleast occasionally.
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that there is any such thing as a tachyon.

    The energy for a photon is not "neverending", whatever that means.

    Your statement regarding black holes is gibberish. It has no possible meaning, let alone any correct meaning.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    puducherry
    Posts
    2
    hiii....
    i got a doubt over here.... by usin d time dilation eqn, u can only travel 2 d past.... how can u travel 2 d future??
    pl help me by givin d ans for my ques....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    If the energy for a photon initially is neverending, like in a black hole (according to relativity) a particle faster then the speed of light can form, and a such would escape the black hole. Atleast occasionally.
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that there is any such thing as a tachyon.

    The energy for a photon is not "neverending", whatever that means.

    Your statement regarding black holes is gibberish. It has no possible meaning, let alone any correct meaning.
    If the power of the black hole is just as strong as a photon is fast, then the black holes gravity is faster then the speed of light, so ultimately that can create reactions faster then the speed of light, isn't that right, OP?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by paramesh
    hiii....
    i got a doubt over here.... by usin d time dilation eqn, u can only travel 2 d past.... how can u travel 2 d future??
    pl help me by givin d ans for my ques....
    time dilation allows an object moving very fast relative to some other observer to "age less" or rather, experience less time go by, than the observer. afaik this applies most directly to an object that makes a round trip and has more to do with the acceleration than the specific relative velocities.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    98
    Ophiolite we would need to ask The Doctor how he time travels right :wink:
    Once a door is opened it never truly closes
    Once a door is closed new ones are open
    Two concepts forever intwined it is you decision to make them for the better or the worse.

    Being invisble lets you run away from pain
    Being visible gives you irraplacable experiences.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    puducherry
    Posts
    2
    "Arcane_Mathematician" wrote:
    time dilation allows an object moving very fast relative to some other observer to "age less" or rather, experience less time go by, than the observer. afaik this applies most directly to an object that makes a round trip and has more to do with the acceleration than the specific relative velocities.

    thn how abt d theory?? as v approach d velocity of light, accordin 2 d eqn, time goes 2 "Infinity".... wat does tis mean???
    1st of all, am i correct in approach??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    If the energy for a photon initially is neverending, like in a black hole (according to relativity) a particle faster then the speed of light can form, and a such would escape the black hole. Atleast occasionally.
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that there is any such thing as a tachyon.

    The energy for a photon is not "neverending", whatever that means.

    Your statement regarding black holes is gibberish. It has no possible meaning, let alone any correct meaning.
    If the power of the black hole is just as strong as a photon is fast, then the black holes gravity is faster then the speed of light, so ultimately that can create reactions faster then the speed of light, isn't that right, OP?
    gibberish
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    "gibberish"

    Well, then again, what isn't gibberish in your humble opinion?

    Anyway, the photons initial acceleration must be lower then the black holes at any given point. The smallest photon must also be the size of one point since h = E when f = 1. Yet the gravity is larger for any given photon to escape.

    Between 2 points in a black hole the length is contracted to 0 for an outer reference frame, time is dilated in the same way.

    Seen from the outside the black hole does not move timewise, but in its own reference frame it is quite the opposite.



    The particles in a black hole are all accelerated more then that of a photon. For matter to remain it's own weight, they have to become a matter that has a speed beyond the photon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    419
    I agree, GIBBERISH !!

    Stop looking at light as a photon, but consider also its wave qualities. Since an acceleration is equivalent to a gravitational ffield (see Einstein), light trying to escape a black hole would be 'red-shifted' to infinite wavelength, or zero energy. It would in effect cease to exist.
    Another way of looking at it, a black hole is the ultimate entropy mechanism, it disorders everything, all information is lost (see Hawking) and light being information is lost (vanishes) as well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    What are you, a parrot? Read the bold, how can that be wrong?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    What are you, a parrot? Read the bold, how can that be wrong?
    Not only is it not right, it such gibberish that in the words of Pauli, it is "not even wrong."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    What are you, a parrot? Read the bold, how can that be wrong?
    It can be wrong simply by being wrong. But, I agree with Dr Rocket and Pauli. "It's not right. It's not even wrong"
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,319
    The particles in a black hole are all accelerated more then that of a photon. For matter to remain it's own weight, they have to become a matter that has a speed beyond the photon.
    Take a tennis ball, and a fist size rock. Drop them simultaneously. See when they hit the ground. Objects of different mass all have the same rates of acceleration in same gravitational fields. Go here;

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

    What's your native language?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •