Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Source of electric charge

  1. #1 Source of electric charge 
    Forum Sophomore schiz0yd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    171
    What constitutes whether an electric charge is negative or positive? For example, what is different about the intrinsic nature of protons and electrons that gives them opposite charges?


    I prefer to use my right brain to study the universe rather than my left brain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    951
    That's the way it is ,Bubba. As far as positive an negative goes that was a convention, the point being they are opposite.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Source of electric charge 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by schiz0yd
    What constitutes whether an electric charge is negative or positive? For example, what is different about the intrinsic nature of protons and electrons that gives them opposite charges?
    Their charge is an intrinsic property that differentiates them.

    Note that electrons are elementary (not known to be composed of anything smaller and not thought to be).

    Protons are not elementary, but are composed of three quarks. It is the quarks that account for the charge of the proton. Charge is an intrinsic property of quarks as well, and there are postiviely charged and negatively charged quarks. Charge is one of the intrinsic properties of quarks.

    It is also true that each charged particle admits the potential for the existence of an anti-particle of opposite charge.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore schiz0yd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    171
    is there any explanation or knowledge as to what these charges are? does a negative charge lack something that a positive charge has an abundance of, or are those just names we gave them? and why do they attract? saying "that's just the way it is" is not the kind of answer that progresses the field of science.
    I prefer to use my right brain to study the universe rather than my left brain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by schiz0yd
    is there any explanation or knowledge as to what these charges are? does a negative charge lack something that a positive charge has an abundance of, or are those just names we gave them? and why do they attract? saying "that's just the way it is" is not the kind of answer that progresses the field of science.
    That may be, but in fact so far as is known "that is just the way it is".

    It cannot be that the charges are the result of an abundance or lack of anything, at least within what is known. The particles in question are elementary and are not composed of anything smaller, again within existing theory. Maybe in some future better theory there will be deeper understanding.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator Dishmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    1,624
    At least, it seems that charge and mass are somehow related:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isospin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishmaster
    At least, it seems that charge and mass are somehow related:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isospin
    What in that article on isospin gives you that impression ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •