Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: The unsolved problems in Physics...

  1. #1 The unsolved problems in Physics... 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2
    Hi everyone,
    I've been attempting to collect all the unsolved problems in Physics and make a list, as well as for every other science in hopes of progressing knowledge...Even just a little bit. If you're interested in helping with what Physics knowledge you have (or Biology, Chemistry, etc), you can come join an intellectual community just like here at the Science Forum and help solidify the list of exactly what problems we're up against.

    I'm not trying to steal support from this forum or spam its boards -- I support science and the progress of knowledge. My site is attempting to categorize the knowledge via "problem" to try and sort out the best theories from the lesser ones, in an attempt to solve them and find out what the real issues are. Obviously people are already discussing such things here, my aim is simply to put much more of an emphasis on targetting the problems and framing them so that people can focus on their possible solutions and shortcomings.

    Together, we can definitely help science move forward

    PHYSICS | CHEMISTRY | BIOLOGY | ASTRONOMY | PHILOSOPHY | PSYCHOLOGY | GEOLOGY


    www . humanswers . net

    alexis


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    297
    http://www.engineeringchallenges.org/cms/8996/9221.aspx

    The National Academy of Engineering made a list of Engineering challenges, which is, I think, related to what you want.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the help!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior Booms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The perceptual schematic known as earth
    Posts
    361
    I have an 'unsolved' physics question for ya (well, unasked really since it kicks a certain einstein theory in the face)



    if nothing can travel at the speed of light, and at one point there was nothing, then at a point in time (logically TBB) light must have been created and accellerated to lightspeed,


    or better yet, when our sun releases light, the light has gone from 0 mass and 0 energy i.e not existing, to traveling at lightspeed, which means at some point it accelerated from 0mps to 3000 billion mps or whatever speed it goes


    which means things CAN travel at lightspeed?
    It's not how many questions you ask, but the answers you get - Booms

    This is the Acadamy of Science! we don't need to 'prove' anything!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

    First, space itself can expand faster than the speed of light. This covers the Big Bang, among a few other special cases.

    Second, light, as soon as it exists at all, is already traveling at c. It doesn't accelerate. Also, when someone says nothing can reach the speed of light, the nothing refers to massive particles. Light has no mass, so it doesn't count in this particular respect. The reason behind this is because the energy of a particle, massless or massive, is where m is rest mass and p is momentum. Light has momentum but no mass. Matter has mass, which dominates momentum in this equation. Try plugging in a few numbers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    jorpati-3,ktm,nepal
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

    First, space itself can expand faster than the speed of light. This covers the Big Bang, among a few other special cases.

    Second, light, as soon as it exists at all, is already traveling at c. It doesn't accelerate. Also, when someone says nothing can reach the speed of light, the nothing refers to massive particles. Light has no mass, so it doesn't count in this particular respect. The reason behind this is because the energy of a particle, massless or massive, is where m is rest mass and p is momentum. Light has momentum but no mass. Matter has mass, which dominates momentum in this equation. Try plugging in a few numbers.


    hello sir, i am a student of higher secondary level. I like this blog as it is informative and good too. Sir, i was impressed by your ideas and want to understand a bit more.hope you will help me.

    sagarbiplab@yahoo.com.
    biplab
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Booms
    I have an 'unsolved' physics question for ya (well, unasked really since it kicks a certain einstein theory in the face)



    if nothing can travel at the speed of light, and at one point there was nothing, then at a point in time (logically TBB) light must have been created and accellerated to lightspeed,


    or better yet, when our sun releases light, the light has gone from 0 mass and 0 energy i.e not existing, to traveling at lightspeed, which means at some point it accelerated from 0mps to 3000 billion mps or whatever speed it goes


    which means things CAN travel at lightspeed?
    Nothing can accelerate to the speed of light.[/u]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman geistkiesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Booms
    I have an 'unsolved' physics question for ya (well, unasked really since it kicks a certain einstein theory in the face)



    if nothing can travel at the speed of light, and at one point there was nothing, then at a point in time (logically TBB) light must have been created and accellerated to lightspeed,


    or better yet, when our sun releases light, the light has gone from 0 mass and 0 energy i.e not existing, to traveling at lightspeed, which means at some point it accelerated from 0mps to 3000 billion mps or whatever speed it goes


    which means things CAN travel at lightspeed?
    I follow you for a bit. Light must be a transformation of another form of energy, such as that observed when an electron is accelerated. The question of once not light, the next instant its light and slomething got transformed from non -light to light and yes, it is difficult to avoid the intantaneous 0 -> c in less than a heartbeat.

    The easiest, for me, to explain the rapid rise in velocity is to consider the transformation as instantaneous, and nothing gets accelerated. The photon had some energy in an other form, but what form? An unaccelerated electron does not remind me that some photons are there lurking under the electron skin .

    Read some Tom Van Flandern, Astronomer (recently deceased) who tells the story how the speed of gravity force as opposed to gravity wave (never seen so far). must be > 2x10^10(c) or instantaneous. If gravity force was limkited to the speed of lioght the solar system would be iunrecognizable. Consider Jupiter getting aforce from the sun and the sun receiving the reaction a half hour later and the sun reacting to the reaction much later and then put in all the other forces the planets exchange continuously. will meet flandern when you Google on speed of gravity.

    You owe no apologies for kicking AE in the relativity face, AE, the man, has been dead for 60 years - but you should be polite to SRT theorist, they are people with a point of view.
    Mother Nature include time in her creation so everything wouldn't happen all at once. Anon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: The unsolved problems in Physics... 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis
    Hi everyone,
    I've been attempting to collect all the unsolved problems in Physics and make a list, as well as for every other science in hopes of progressing knowledge...Even just a little bit. If you're interested in helping with what Physics knowledge you have (or Biology, Chemistry, etc), you can come join an intellectual community just like here at the Science Forum and help solidify the list of exactly what problems we're up against.

    I'm not trying to steal support from this forum or spam its boards -- I support science and the progress of knowledge. My site is attempting to categorize the knowledge via "problem" to try and sort out the best theories from the lesser ones, in an attempt to solve them and find out what the real issues are. Obviously people are already discussing such things here, my aim is simply to put much more of an emphasis on targetting the problems and framing them so that people can focus on their possible solutions and shortcomings.

    Together, we can definitely help science move forward

    PHYSICS | CHEMISTRY | BIOLOGY | ASTRONOMY | PHILOSOPHY | PSYCHOLOGY | GEOLOGY


    www . humanswers . net

    alexis

    That is an excellent excellent idea

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqYrqQIaAU

    Quasar jet streams (QJS) have been exhibiting Faster than light motion since they were first discovered by radio astronomy a long time ago. The Narrow Angle model, (NA Model) has been used to describe this motion for some time, this only works for Quasar Jet Streams (QJS) at 19 degrees line of sight. Then we discovered QJS at up to 43 degrees line of sight, we were stumped, how can this be happening. Now we describe it using a model that some what complicated. General Theory of Relativity states that Space time was created in the creation of the universe, no more is being made apparently. Perhaps black holes create space time?

    Nothing in this universe, NOTHING that we describe is RIGHT, it is only right for the times we live in and the data available to us at that time. So all that we know over time WILL be replaced with greater knowledge and description's aka (Theory's).
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •