Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Define Universe!!!

  1. #1 Define Universe!!! 
    Forum Freshman Sudhamsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    95
    We speak of "Our Universe", "Other Universes" or "Parallel Universes". What actually is considered as a Universe? What defines a Universe?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    I find most people think of stars and galaxies. The universe is "up".

    There are also mathematical or logical definitions.

    I would say "all" or "the everything". And it's infinite in the most liberal sense but that's just an opinion. Some people see no contradiction with the universe in a container, or multiple universes, perhaps believing there is more anyway (god).


    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    951
    That which is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzlooney
    That which is.
    Quoted for truth!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    on my way to somewhere
    Posts
    12
    entity
    we must first understand this world, then we can begin to cure it
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2
    Party Central
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Define Universe!!! 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudhamsu
    We speak of "Our Universe", "Other Universes" or "Parallel Universes". What actually is considered as a Universe? What defines a Universe?
    The "universe" following general relativity is a connected 4-manifold, and if there are more than one such manifolds is identified as the one containing the Earth.

    Speculations of "multiverses", "parallel universes, etc. are just that, speculation. The existence of such entities is also untestable since they are disconnected from our universe and not causally related.

    So if there is some larger entity than our universe, it has no effect on us or anything in our universe, and our universe is a connected component (a topological term) of that larger universe. Therefore operationally, the universe is all that matters and it is everything that evolved from the Big Bang.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    A force field which stretches outward in different directions.

    Our Universe is multi-dimensional
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (..❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    A force field which stretches outward in different directions.

    Our Universe is multi-dimensional
    The notion of "force field" is completely irrelevant.

    OF COURSE the universe is multi-dimensional. Space has at least 3 dimensions as every school child knows.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    A force field which stretches outward in different directions.

    Our Universe is multi-dimensional
    The notion of "force field" is completely irrelevant.

    OF COURSE the universe is multi-dimensional. Space has at least 3 dimensions as every school child knows.
    It has much much more than just three.

    Force field is not irrelevant. It's a good way to describe the energy in the universe which is like a sheet or mesh of fields that become warped twisted pulled and shaped by mass and gravitation as well it constantly moving towards expansion.

    Which is more than can be said for certain people who shrink at anything beyond a text book.

    So up your whizzy comet tail Mr Rocket
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (..❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    A force field which stretches outward in different directions.

    Our Universe is multi-dimensional
    The notion of "force field" is completely irrelevant.

    OF COURSE the universe is multi-dimensional. Space has at least 3 dimensions as every school child knows.
    It has much much more than just three.

    Force field is not irrelevant. It's a good way to describe the energy in the universe which is like a sheet or mesh of fields that become warped twisted pulled and shaped by mass and gravitation as well it constantly moving towards expansion.

    Which is more than can be said for certain people who shrink at anything beyond a text book.

    So up your whizzy comet tail Mr Rocket
    1. You are incorrect. Force and energy are two different things.

    2. So how many dimensions doe sit have, and why ?

    3. Yoiu are unnecessarily rude. Particularly so, since you don't know what you are talking about.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    A force field which stretches outward in different directions.

    Our Universe is multi-dimensional
    The notion of "force field" is completely irrelevant.

    OF COURSE the universe is multi-dimensional. Space has at least 3 dimensions as every school child knows.
    It has much much more than just three.

    Force field is not irrelevant. It's a good way to describe the energy in the universe which is like a sheet or mesh of fields that become warped twisted pulled and shaped by mass and gravitation as well it constantly moving towards expansion.

    Which is more than can be said for certain people who shrink at anything beyond a text book.

    So up your whizzy comet tail Mr Rocket
    1. You are incorrect. Firce and energy are two different things.

    2. So how many dimensions doe sit have, and why ?

    3. Yoiu are unnecessarily rude. Particularly so, since you don't know what you are talking about.
    Dear Mr Rocket

    1. Of course Firce i think you mean fire, is energy. It's the oxidization of a combustible material, which generates heat which is energy. This oxidization process lives off the energy, matter & gasses which is stored in the combustible material, until the source of energy from the combustible material runs dry!

    It also takes the form of glowing Salamanders licking up like curls forming an S shape and then uniting with another to form the intertwined serpents on Hermes Cadeuces which look funnily enough like a double helix.......oooh sorry was that too imaginative for you...

    2. Well some theory's say there are three, and some say there are four, and some say there might be eleven and some say there might be more.....

    Here why don't you brush up on your physics....and try to imagine what the universe might be doing?

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/dimensions.html


    3. You are unnecessarily dull, as well as rude, but that is probably because you think you know precisely what you are talking about.
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (..❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Absum, you might want to reread your sig before continuing this argument.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    A force field which stretches outward in different directions.

    Our Universe is multi-dimensional
    The notion of "force field" is completely irrelevant.

    OF COURSE the universe is multi-dimensional. Space has at least 3 dimensions as every school child knows.
    It has much much more than just three.

    Force field is not irrelevant. It's a good way to describe the energy in the universe which is like a sheet or mesh of fields that become warped twisted pulled and shaped by mass and gravitation as well it constantly moving towards expansion.

    Which is more than can be said for certain people who shrink at anything beyond a text book.

    So up your whizzy comet tail Mr Rocket
    1. You are incorrect. Firce and energy are two different things.

    2. So how many dimensions doe sit have, and why ?

    3. Yoiu are unnecessarily rude. Particularly so, since you don't know what you are talking about.
    Dear Mr Rocket

    1. Of course Firce i think you mean fire, is energy. It's the oxidization of a combustible material, which generates heat which is energy. This oxidization process lives off the energy, matter & gasses which is stored in the combustible material, until the source of energy from the combustible material runs dry!

    It also takes the form of glowing Salamanders licking up like curls forming an S shape and then uniting with another to form the intertwined serpents on Hermes Cadeuces which look funnily enough like a double helix.......oooh sorry was that too imaginative for you...

    2. Well some theory's say there are three, and some say there are four, and some say there might be eleven and some say there might be more.....

    Here why don't you brush up on your physics....and try to imagine what the universe might be doing?

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/dimensions.html


    3. You are unnecessarily dull, as well as rude, but that is probably because you think you know precisely what you are talking about.
    No, I had a typo. I meant to type force.

    Yep, I do know precisely what I am tallking about.

    My physics is doing quite well thank you.

    I suggest that you learn a bit yourself. Your misconceptions are showing. You might try a wee bit of chemistry as well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    Absum, you might want to reread your sig before continuing this argument.
    And you might want to butt out
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (..❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    Absum, you might want to reread your sig before continuing this argument.
    And you might want to butt out
    And you might be more polite when addressing your betters, and Magimaster is most certainly in that class.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    Absum, you might want to reread your sig before continuing this argument.
    And you might want to butt out
    And you might be more polite when addressing your betters, and Magimaster is most certainly in that class.
    Another prat

    Why should I be polite to any of you when you appear not to know the meaning of the word either

    You come across as obnoxious and pretentious, dull and very boring, i bet you lot are fun and inspiring to be with..............zzzzZZZZ
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (..❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    You should be polite to everyone. It's just common courtesy. If you think your argument is superior, then you should be able to show that. Name calling won't do it for you though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    Absum, you might want to reread your sig before continuing this argument.
    And you might want to butt out
    And you might be more polite when addressing your betters, and Magimaster is most certainly in that class.
    Another prat

    Why should I be polite to any of you when you appear not to know the meaning of the word either

    You come across as obnoxious and pretentious, dull and very boring, i bet you lot are fun and inspiring to be with..............zzzzZZZZ
    You might want to be more polite because you might just learn something. And you clearly have quite a bit to learn, Kyle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Gyd
    Gyd is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    73
    This thread is the perfect example of our universe.
    But to read about real physics go to my notes on physics.
    http://notesonphysics-angel.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    Absum, you might want to reread your sig before continuing this argument.
    And you might want to butt out
    And you might be more polite when addressing your betters, and Magimaster is most certainly in that class.
    Another prat

    Why should I be polite to any of you when you appear not to know the meaning of the word either

    You come across as obnoxious and pretentious, dull and very boring, i bet you lot are fun and inspiring to be with..............zzzzZZZZ
    You might want to be more polite because you might just learn something. And you clearly have quite a bit to learn, Kyle.
    Yawn

    You guys sound like automatons
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (..❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.☼....-♥゜・*.:。✿*゚゚・✿.。.:* *.:。.❀.`.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •