Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Time Travel

  1. #1 Time Travel 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    33
    So i am reading Parallel Worlds By: Michio Kaku, and one of the topics discussed in it is time travel. That subject has always interested and it was very interesting chapter. So in it he says that even if you were to invent a time machine or be able to go through a worm hole without being crushed; you could only travel as far back as when the time machine or wormhole was created.
    Does this mean that you could not travel in to the future or what. This is particularly puzzling to me. Because say you invent a time machine and want to travel in to the future. Could you theoretically speaking? If the time machine that you invented existed in the future does that mean that your could travel in to that point in the future? Please post your responses i wish to understand this problem.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Time Travel 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by credo
    So i am reading Parallel Worlds By: Michio Kaku, and one of the topics discussed in it is time travel. That subject has always interested and it was very interesting chapter. So in it he says that even if you were to invent a time machine or be able to go through a worm hole without being crushed; you could only travel as far back as when the time machine or wormhole was created.
    Does this mean that you could not travel in to the future or what. This is particularly puzzling to me. Because say you invent a time machine and want to travel in to the future. Could you theoretically speaking? If the time machine that you invented existed in the future does that mean that your could travel in to that point in the future? Please post your responses i wish to understand this problem.
    Travel to the future is conceptially quite straightforward without exotic physics. However you can't come back in time this way.

    The simplest example is doing nothing - you are always going ahead in time.

    If you want to skip to a distant future you need a space ship that can travel close to the speed of light. Travel for a long distance at very close to the speed of light. Because of length contraction it will be a short distance in your frame and thus will take a short time. Then come back at the same speed. You will find the time elapse at your starting point will be much larger than your experience. This is just using the twin paradox of special relativity.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Time Travel 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by mathman
    Quote Originally Posted by credo
    So i am reading Parallel Worlds By: Michio Kaku, and one of the topics discussed in it is time travel. That subject has always interested and it was very interesting chapter. So in it he says that even if you were to invent a time machine or be able to go through a worm hole without being crushed; you could only travel as far back as when the time machine or wormhole was created.
    Does this mean that you could not travel in to the future or what. This is particularly puzzling to me. Because say you invent a time machine and want to travel in to the future. Could you theoretically speaking? If the time machine that you invented existed in the future does that mean that your could travel in to that point in the future? Please post your responses i wish to understand this problem.
    Travel to the future is conceptially quite straightforward without exotic physics. However you can't come back in time this way.

    The simplest example is doing nothing - you are always going ahead in time.

    If you want to skip to a distant future you need a space ship that can travel close to the speed of light. Travel for a long distance at very close to the speed of light. Because of length contraction it will be a short distance in your frame and thus will take a short time. Then come back at the same speed. You will find the time elapse at your starting point will be much larger than your experience. This is just using the twin paradox of special relativity.
    I disagree, time will not change for you onboard.


    I think one very funny thing is that scientists somehow construed that if an atomic clock slowed down. That the human anatomy would also. That is a blatant error.


    Let me put it more clearly. Although an electrical field may hinder certain electrical reactions. Or slow them. This should in fact cause aging, not a slow down of the aging process.



    Sincerely,


    William McCormick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    credo, time is merely a tool we use for measuring change; ie. a clock. You can create a tool for measuring time by simply tapping a pen rhythmically on a table, for example.

    That example should help you to understand traveling through time ala Jules Verne is somewhat meaningless.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    33
    i see now
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman Ruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    credo, time is merely a tool we use for measuring change; ie. a clock. You can create a tool for measuring time by simply tapping a pen rhythmically on a table, for example.

    That example should help you to understand traveling through time ala Jules Verne is somewhat meaningless.
    You actually just confused me, though. I understand that Time is a Human creation, to measure between events/change in the universe (hopefully that is accurate enough to satisfy XD).

    But, as I understand it, as Speed gradually increases, so does Mass. So, when you start racking up those insane high speeds, you yourself will become "super heavy" (still consuming the same volume of Space/Spatial Area?), in turn increasing one's own Gravity. And, recalling back to a particular Stargate Episode where it's displayed occurring (lol), looking away from your location, you see people/objects moving super fast, depending on there distance from you (Further away, speed increases).

    So, assuming I have this roughly correct... how is it meaningless to have the universe around you, in relative to your Situation, speed up? When you slow and stop, you will perhaps be stuck (since you can't reverse "time" [I assume]), but "time" has passed. If you were literally on the verge of Light, then presumably Millenia's will have passed in relation to your own Seconds?

    I'm not saying we should do it, I just thought it might have SOME application, in... SOME form XD I don't know what though. If that's the problem; complete lack of use, then I guess it IS meaningless, heh.

    It's just an adventure, I guess, if you wanted to see What Will Be in our Universe, you could, but best be warned it's probably one way, heh.
    Note: I merely hold a interest for Science, I do not actively Study any specific aspect of it. Please forgive anything I might say that is, for the lack of a better word, Stupid. Fortunately though, I carry the capacity to Learn, so there is hope for me yet!

    Music I Currently Recommend: Barber - Souvenirs Op.28
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruro

    But, as I understand it, as Speed gradually increases, so does Mass. So, when you start racking up those insane high speeds, you yourself will become "super heavy" (still consuming the same volume of Space/Spatial Area?), in turn increasing one's own Gravity.
    Not really, that extra "mass" is kinetic energy and disappears when you transform coordinates.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    credo, time is merely a tool we use for measuring change; ie. a clock. You can create a tool for measuring time by simply tapping a pen rhythmically on a table, for example.
    You seem to be saying that time is a human invention and therefore a product of the human imagination-merely an extremely useful tool!
    If that is the case why do scientists explain gravity by saying that mass affects the fabric of space-time. Surely this implies that time is part of a "deeper reality" and not something simply created by humans.
    Also if time does not exist outside of the human mind then how does one explain time dilation?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Halliday
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q)
    credo, time is merely a tool we use for measuring change; ie. a clock. You can create a tool for measuring time by simply tapping a pen rhythmically on a table, for example.
    You seem to be saying that time is a human invention and therefore a product of the human imagination-merely an extremely useful tool!
    If that is the case why do scientists explain gravity by saying that mass affects the fabric of space-time. Surely this implies that time is part of a "deeper reality" and not something simply created by humans.
    Also if time does not exist outside of the human mind then how does one explain time dilation?
    Space-time is a coordinate system developed to explain mathematically the location of physical events. No "deeper realities" lurk beneath it.

    Time dilation is explained mathematically.
    Religious Fundamentalist Club - Member #1.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    949
    [Space-time is a coordinate system developed to explain mathematically the location of physical events. No "deeper realities" lurk beneath it.

    Time dilation is explained mathematically.[/quote]
    Probably I am getting this completely wrong - I feel a bit of a fraud posting in the physics forum anyway!
    If I said that I was meeting John Smith on the third floor of the building, at the corner of Green Street and Black Steet, at 4.p.m. today that information gives the location of a physical event but it is simply a piece of information which is not affected by anything else in the "real" world. However spacetime is distorted or curved by objects such as the sun and earth etc. which suggests to me that it is something more than simply an abstract mathematical construction.
    As far as time dilation is concerned I don't see why the fact that it can be explained using maths/physics is relevant. The fact that time dilation is a scientific truth and could,in principle, allow travel into the future suggests that time is something that exists separate from and outside of the human mind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,176
    [quote="Halliday"][Space-time is a coordinate system developed to explain mathematically the location of physical events. No "deeper realities" lurk beneath it.[quote]

    Time dilation is explained mathematically.
    Probably I am getting this completely wrong - I feel a bit of a fraud posting in the physics forum anyway!
    If I said that I was meeting John Smith on the third floor of the building, at the corner of Green Street and Black Steet, at 4.p.m. today that information gives the location of a physical event but it is simply a piece of information which is not affected by anything else in the "real" world. However spacetime is distorted or curved by objects such as the sun and earth etc. which suggests to me that it is something more than simply an abstract mathematical construction.
    As far as time dilation is concerned I don't see why the fact that it can be explained using maths/physics is relevant. The fact that time dilation is a scientific truth and could,in principle, allow travel into the future suggests that time is something that exists separate from and outside of the human mind.

    Nothing is distorted by space-time. "Space time" is a confusion to a simplicity that you explained perfectly. With the meeting place of John Smith.

    If you stand on a desert you can observe some wild illusions of light. Caused by different density gases. Obviously these gases are not changed by the earths gravity. They are changed by temperature differentials in the air. These effects bend light.

    If you look at an object in space as it nears the sun or appears to near the sun, because the earth is rotating and orbiting the sun it will distort and appear to move the object. However I see no wild explanation needed for that. Due to the temperature differentials near the sun. That cause different density gases to effect light.

    But some would rather complicate it and confuse it, seem a bit more intelligent.

    Kind of like knocking little kids down and standing on them to look two inches taller.

    Sincerely,


    William McCormick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    949
    Nothing is distorted by space-time.
    I didn't say that anything is distorted by spacetime. I said that matter curves spacetime.
    I don't know if you regard Newton as a "universal scientist" and altho' he explained gravity pretty well he could not work out why the earth went round the sun whereas Einstein managed to do this.
    If you do not accept his ideas how do you explain gravity?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Halliday
    Nothing is distorted by space-time.
    I didn't say that anything is distorted by spacetime. I said that matter curves spacetime.
    I don't know if you regard Newton as a "universal scientist" and altho' he explained gravity pretty well he could not work out why the earth went round the sun whereas Einstein managed to do this.
    If you do not accept his ideas how do you explain gravity?

    I was taught that ambient radiation bombards all things from every angle. It just penetrates right through matter that is only 10 percent solid. Matter is just a system of filters that alter ambient radiation.

    Ambient radiation is just high speed electrons that are moving so fast that they do not have time to impart the electrical repulsive effects, they create at other slower velocities.
    Slow them down and they create gravity, x-rays, ultraviolet, light, heat, sound, and any other effect. Slow them down enough and they create a bomb. Out of any material.

    The earth is a sort of block to slowed ambient radiation that is bombarding the whole surface of the earth. However the earth does not stop ambient radiation. It accelerates it back up to the dark space speed ambient radiation we see around the planets.

    So when you are standing on the planet you are being bombarded from above by slow moving ambient radiation, slowing as it nears the surface of the earth. This creates the repulsive force known as gravity.

    The planet below you does not offer this repulsive force, so you are pushed to the planet. For lack of repulsion from the planet. Because the radiation is just going to fast to apply repulsive force to you.

    There are so many poor teachers today, that have taken and twisted what others like Newton did. That often we only get to hear ramblings that are not even Newtons. As of late more and more, I hear some better stuff about Newton. He believed in perpetual motion.

    He also showed that gravity created an effect of attraction. Because there is no such thing as attraction. I believe he said that a field around earth existed. And he would be correct. The field though as it is often misunderstood. Is a field perpendicular to the earths surface and it presses down upon us.

    I never saw anything good from Einstein.



    You can bend matter, the point in space that the matter was originally positioned will change. The space and the time will remain the same.




    Sincerely,


    William McCormick
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •