Notices
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: the meaning of life (2)

  1. #1 the meaning of life (2) 
    Forum Freshman danspurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    U KNOW
    Posts
    10
    This is the serious side of this question, as my other one failed to get me to a conclusion this shall! So i begin "what if the meaning of life was to discover the meaning of life?


    I quote; "why does my life always co-inside with violence"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore Schizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    164
    this begs the question what is the purpose once we discover the meaning of life.

    On another note I have come to the conclusion that either we are a meaningless bi-product of the formations of matter, or in the great cosmos life does actually have a purpose coinciding with the formations of matter.


    Hypothetically speaking what if life's purpose was to, lets say, structure the universe.

    That is hypothetical of course but the point is that life may have a meaning in relation to existence itself.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Moved to Philosophy and cleaned up.

    No spam please!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    Perhaps we look for meaning simply as a way to reduce our sense of suffering, meaning therefore is nothing more than a coping mechanism, as suffering is easy to explain and understand from a survival of the fittest argument.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,812
    I think there is a tendency to look at life from the intelligence perspective. We humans are more intelligent therefore that's what it's all about, getting smarter for some important discovery down the road. Then again we could be wiped out tomorrow by some random event.

    I like to consider life as possibly being the closest thing we have to something beyond our present comprehension....sorry God lovers.

    I ask myself what would the universe be like without life? Probably not much different but seemingly pointless.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    My views on the meaning of life are pretty well exemplified by the Sartre quote I have in my signature - basically, life has no intrinsic meaning or destiny or purpose. Each individual must forge their own decision on what life means to them; that is all we can do.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    My views on the meaning of life are pretty well exemplified by the Sartre quote I have in my signature - basically, life has no intrinsic meaning or destiny or purpose. Each individual must forge their own decision on what life means to them; that is all we can do.
    Very true, how can one say that life have intrinsic meaning if it is the result of chemical reactions. The question of an intrinsic meaning to life is a question purely for agnostics, theist have their religions, and atheist must accept that the world is without intrinsic meaning.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman Teknowizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Merced, California
    Posts
    11
    A question I have often pondered and the subject of the last poem I've written (don't write much anymore, though occasionally).


    That's Just Life

    Life can be cruel and it can be kind;
    While often a reason, seldom rhythm & rhyme.

    Strange is the process of growth and learning;
    Often at its worst, for wisdom we are yearning.

    We scurry about ever in a big hurry;
    Till life flies by so fast, it becomes a bit blurry.

    Wondering where the time has all gone;
    You'll someday learn to appreciate a simple morning dawn.

    Your mark upon the world, you will decide;
    By your actions & words, good or evil will judgment abide.

    by Randall Klopping
    written June 7, 2006
    I am a Weaver of Light & Illusion - though disabled, I walk amongst the stars, weave new stars of my own and even explore new universes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    New Member bhakti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    slovenia
    Posts
    2
    first a characterization of life has to be added. a "life" of an individual, or humanity, maybe the earth in its whole, or the whole universe (as it can also be classified as a living organism, as it does sustain us) ?

    still, i allow myself some freelancing without waiting on further explanation.
    first i think questioning about the meaning of life needs no answer. it it the question itself which is worth while, which pulls us on the path, seeking the answer. so the objective is not the answer, its the search itself.

    then if you agree that its all about the search itself, some other questions should be asked as well,

    what is life anyway?

    an first of all...

    who am i?

    as to even begin with exploring the exterior we must first at least get a glimpse of the tool of our perception, as that is in some way the definition of ourselves. as everything we perceive, we do it through ourselves, im not talking only about the senses, there is also the part of decoding the information and re encoding it into our experience. its like looking through a bunch of lenses without knowing about all the deformation that occurs along the way.


    uf.. i went a bit of track
    but to summarize, it think the meaning is the questioning itself, still, there are more possible answers, as i do think truth is "multi dimensional".

    there are as many truths as there are universes. for example every human creates one and lives in it. maybe i go to far using the word universe here. maybe i can call it a mathematical space with infinite dimensions, its existence can be defined as an isomorphism of the "real universe". there is a problem of our limiting mind that cannot, and was never supposed to, grasp the dimensional infinity of it, and so lives in a small finite part of it. and so as the mind lives in a finite space witch is by far not an isomorphism of any other mind created space, and so different opinions are created, but still they are true in some way, while the connection between them cannot be seen due to mind limitations. still, i certainly do not say that everything is true in the "real universe". lots of stuff only applies and plausibly exists only in the "twisted" minds.

    ok enough for now
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by free radical
    Perhaps we look for meaning simply as a way to reduce our sense of suffering, meaning therefore is nothing more than a coping mechanism, as suffering is easy to explain and understand from a survival of the fittest argument.
    In my personal opinion the search for the meaning of life increases one’s suffering.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhakti
    there are as many truths as there are universes. for example every human creates one and lives in it. maybe i go to far using the word universe here. maybe i can call it a mathematical space with infinite dimensions, its existence can be defined as an isomorphism of the "real universe". there is a problem of our limiting mind that cannot, and was never supposed to, grasp the dimensional infinity of it, and so lives in a small finite part of it. and so as the mind lives in a finite space witch is by far not an isomorphism of any other mind created space, and so different opinions are created, but still they are true in some way, while the connection between them cannot be seen due to mind limitations. still, i certainly do not say that everything is true in the "real universe". lots of stuff only applies and plausibly exists only in the "twisted" minds.
    If we, as complex as we seem to be, are still just a tiny part of a immense and much greater universe, then the universe must be something absolutely amazing… If only we could view it from the “outside”, to understand it… I think we would be completely astonished.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior Kolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    246
    I never thought the riddle was all that impressive. It's just a glitch in the terminology. The word should be "Lives" not "Life". So as a result, the question is fundamentally bogus. One man's meaning is another man's punch-line.

    Questions such as What time is it? Where is the emergency exit? and How can I get that girls number? - are, to one degree or another, more practical and therefore more important to ones being than any kind of "Meaning-of-Life" nonsense.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    1C3
    1C3 is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    36
    I believe that the question in it's self is the meaning of our lives.

    By this, I presume the meaning of the Human race, is the question!

    What else on this planet do we know of, can even ask the question?
    Do you know why this cup is so useful? Because it is empty!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the circuitous haze of my mind
    Posts
    1,028
    VMStudent, I think it depends on how far you get in your search for meaning. If you discover the meaning of life very slowly, then I think it does reduce your suffering. If you on the other hand do so very quickly it increases your suffering.

    danspurs, that idea destroys itself. If the meaning of life was to discover the meaning of life, you ask, what is the meaning of life? Well, it is to discover the meaning of life. This repeats infinity and never goes anywhere, therefore becoming pointless since a conclusion cannot be found.

    I agree paralith; we can only formulate our own meaningless purposes in life.
    Of all the wonders in the universe, none is likely more fascinating and complicated than human nature.

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence"

    -Einstein

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Use your computing strength for science!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fusion
    VMStudent, I think it depends on how far you get in your search for meaning. If you discover the meaning of life very slowly, then I think it does reduce your suffering. If you on the other hand do so very quickly it increases your suffering.
    I disagree with you both. The search for the meaning of life will only bring you suffering if you expect to find much purpose outside of your own thoughts and opinions. Life itself has no purpose to offer.

    I agree paralith; we can only formulate our own meaningless purposes in life.
    Just because the purpose we find is ours alone does not render it meaningless. My own purpose is meaningful to me, and no doubt meaningful to those who care about me. And that is more than enough.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the circuitous haze of my mind
    Posts
    1,028
    I know some people who have told me that finding meaning in life has brought them some happiness. Unfortunately they will eventually realize that the meaning that they found previously was in fact meaningless.

    Of course our own purposes are meaningful to ourselves-otherwise we would not hold them as our purpose.

    I give myself purposes in life (they change every couple of years) knowing that they are meaningless to the universe.
    Of all the wonders in the universe, none is likely more fascinating and complicated than human nature.

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence"

    -Einstein

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Use your computing strength for science!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    It appears to combat entropy. So perk up Cold Fusion, you aren't so futile.


    Quote Originally Posted by Schizo
    what if life's purpose was to, lets say, structure the universe ...life may have a meaning in relation to existence itself.
    Life's a part of the universe, so of course we have to factor it in... woops - we didn't!? Heads will roll in the physics forums.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    84
    It never stops amazing me how easy it is to overlook the obvious. Life is part of the universe is about a true statement as you will ever read.

    Where does chemical process become pre-biological? What are the medium restrictions and size limitations?

    A man told me that we are in fact the universe looking at its self. This would in fact be true in my opinion because the two are all inclusive.

    Look out the window and take it all in. Look up in the heavens at night, converse with someone with a different opinion and have all the sex you can.


    Vincent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    46
    i feel if you want to figure out a (purpose to life). other than to keep others alive by dying than think what whould it be like, if you weren't there. and than compare the two, what ever is left over is your purpose, if you will put it in a simple equation 3 subtract 2 you have 1. your purpose is 1, what it would be like if you are there is 3, and without you 2. if that makes any scence. but to know the answer to 2 and 3 then you have to know yourself and all other things that you interact with and have an effect upon.

    and think to your self what the world would be like without life, would it still be there would the universe still be there.if you didnt have any concius knowledge of your own existence than would you still think of a meaning to your existence. would there be a meaning to existance.and if you yourself have a reason to be, to live, to exist than why find it out what would be the point to knowing unless by searching for your meaning is in itself a reason to be,"you can spend forever trying to find nothing"

    i dont know if that makes scence but when i write it i get a feeling in my head that it is right
    In life it is not the destination that matters,but the journey there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    84
    I got it brother.

    That is the definition of tectonics. The Earth will pull everthing to the center of the Earth.

    All we love, all we hate and all we do don’t matter. Damn

    We connected for a moment, good show.

    I connect to music, listen to the lyrics

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm1Y...eature=related

    Vincent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    84
    Seems everywhere we go the Spaniards are trying to catch up. Your leaders are weak and so are you.

    Dang, I think I have been banned before for saying that.

    Vincent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    84
    Your people run over the boarder

    That says a lot about Mexico.

    Vincent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent
    A man told me that we are in fact the universe looking at its self.

    Vincent
    I have heard that statement before altho' expressed in a different way.
    "We are an attempt of the universe to understand itself." (George Wald)
    This could be the "reason" we exist as a species!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Freshman Demons are real, ask God's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The world which I rule...
    Posts
    39
    At an ultimate primeval level isn't the meaning of life to procreate?
    Fat people are harder to kidnap.

    "Humanity's insignificance pales in comparison to its ego"
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •