Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lucid Dreaming

  1. #1 Lucid Dreaming 
    Forum Freshman Nikolas_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    33
    I have never successfully experienced a lucid dream. It seems interesting, if it is possible, that someone can experience the perception of stimuli that exist to the mind and not to the body. Because of this I was wondering:
    Obviously "reality" then seems to be what we recieve from our surrounding (and self) and how we respond to it.
    So then would it be irrational to say that dreams are just as "real," meaning they are just as important to our charecter and emoational development as our awake state?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Lucid Dreaming 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolas_Miller
    I have never successfully experienced a lucid dream. It seems interesting, if it is possible, that someone can experience the perception of stimuli that exist to the mind and not to the body. Because of this I was wondering:
    Obviously "reality" then seems to be what we recieve from our surrounding (and self) and how we respond to it.
    So then would it be irrational to say that dreams are just as "real," meaning they are just as important to our charecter and emoational development as our awake state?
    I enjoyed numerous lucid dreams this morning. As everything in them is as real as in reality when remembering them it is no different to recalling a real experience. Everything before this moment is afterall only a memory.

    Too many 'good dreams' can prevent you particpating fully in reality as you don't feel like you're missing anything. So that can be a downside. But then you can have the best of both 'worlds' too.

    If you want to learn how to lucid dream then get a good book on the topic. It's not hard to do, though I suspect you need a natural ability ideally.

    B6 is also helpful (supplement) re dreaming.


    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Step 1 is always to increase your recollection of your dreams - lucid or otherwise. They suggest that every morning the INSTANT you wake up you write down everything you can recall about your dreams. We're all familiar with waking up and having that faint memory of your dreams but then it fades away and you can't remember - step 1 is to keep all that stuff in memory.
    It takes time and practice to develop
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    I believe that dreaming is actually the melting together of different perceptual units experience. Does that sound weird?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman Nikolas_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingQuietly
    I believe that dreaming is actually the melting together of different perceptual units experience. Does that sound weird?

    Not at all. I wonder, has anyone seen the movie The Science of Sleep?
    Its preety interesting, made by Michael Gondry (the director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolas_Miller
    Not at all. I wonder, has anyone seen the movie The Science of Sleep?
    Its preety interesting, made by Michael Gondry (the director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
    No but it sure sounds like my kind of movie. Life certainly looks cakelike when you look back. You just can't get enough of it :wink:

    Though the mutual life that all lifes add up to must be almost goalless in itself, it merely gains whatever that is left and remains unmovable, just like a really heavy mass, you see how those 2 phenomenas match? Perhaps though, a property of unanimity helps it evolve.
    while uncertainty might make the small perceptual units day, certainty makes the big ones.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    56
    I used to lucid dream quite a lot when I was younger. I remember the other ability if being able to wake myself up at any point. But nowadays, I don't really get them. Though I do get them occasionally, I had one a few weeks ago, but even in my lucid state things didn't make sense, and I promptly woke up about a minute after.
    I always write down my dreams though, but that is more for a "wow, I never remembered that" than a lucid dream aid. But for now the links in my dreams are not very noticeable, they always make no sense, only sometimes made "realistic" by people that I know being there.
    However, if I get enough dream memories, I hope to find some links between my dreams, and understand them more.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by ten_ben
    I used to lucid dream quite a lot when I was younger. I remember the other ability if being able to wake myself up at any point. But nowadays, I don't really get them. Though I do get them occasionally, I had one a few weeks ago, but even in my lucid state things didn't make sense, and I promptly woke up about a minute after.
    I always write down my dreams though, but that is more for a "wow, I never remembered that" than a lucid dream aid. But for now the links in my dreams are not very noticeable, they always make no sense, only sometimes made "realistic" by people that I know being there.
    However, if I get enough dream memories, I hope to find some links between my dreams, and understand them more.
    It seems quite clear to me that lucid dreaming isn't recorded anywhere in the brain but the perceptual unit, unless the body choose to forget it anyway.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    68
    ive have a fair amount of lucid dreams before. ive done "dream spinning" before, which i read about on a lucid dreaming site (google it). it is where if you are lucid dreaming and if you feel like you are about to wake up, in your dreams, you spin around fast in one spot and it helps you to stay sleeping and dreaming. ive even told people in my dreams that i was alseep and dreaming.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    What did they say?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    68
    they said "prove it" and i did by making an AK-47 appear in my hands. no lie. LOL.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lord Sidious
    they said "prove it"
    They usually say that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman Lothuian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    in dreams
    Posts
    35
    I experience lucid dreams almost every night. Really I think you're better off not having them. I often wake up, still deep in dream, and am disoriented. It makes me restless and makes it difficult to get back into the swing of the real world.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    927
    i have a lot of lucid dreams as well.
    when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
    A.C Doyle
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •