Notices
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: What is the difference between science and philosophy?

  1. #1 What is the difference between science and philosophy? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2
    What is the difference between science and philosophy?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Science allows you to test your ideas (extremely harshly ) against observations.

    Philosophy allows you to incorporate those findings into a body of thought, some of which need not be scientific at all.

    Perhaps a broad analogy might be the fiction and non fiction section of the local library.

    Mix and match might be fine so long as you know the difference.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Hmm, I don't think I would suggest philosophy is about fiction. Perhaps I'd say the analogy was more like philosophy is generic "non fiction" and science is more like a reference book.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Duplicate
    Last edited by geordief; January 1st, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    I can see why you say that (and I did sound disrespectful) but don't forget the observation that we "invent" reality to observe it in our everyday lives.

    That we have to process the raw sensory data to give it a usable meaning.

    Like we are all writing our own book of life and it may not be entirely accurate to say the least
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2
    I believe the "deepest possible way" is the closest answer. I believe philosophy deals with the most fundamental issues while sciences deals with the issues that based on the fundamental issues. This means the laws that govern all science issues are based on the fundamental laws that govern the whole universe. The study of philosophy is to look into these fundamental laws.

    It can be traced back to the origin. In the ancient Greece, philosophy was defined as "love wisdom" but this term is very ambiguous. Human being uses their wisdom to do all things for example, use wisdom to do cunning things. But this is not philosophy. What the Greeks meant was to perform intellectual activities to search for the answer from environment (external and internal). The whole process of this activity was defined as philosophy, for example, "what compose our world" and methodologies including rhetoric and dialectic. But later, the division of looking into the environment was classified as natural philosophy which now has been changed to the term of science. From the medieval time, Human being's approach to look for answer have developed into the so-called "scientific approach" which is more accurate compared with the ancient time but still falls into the fundamental approach of how to understand the world. When the new approach of looking into the world was formed, many new science developments were achieved. Science as a breakaway division of philosophy left philosophy as a study looking to the most fundamental rules governing our world. That is why philosophy covers much larger system while science only covers their subsystem, a much smaller area. The commonality between these two is they both looking to rules in the universe. The difference is they study different rules.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,225
    Science deals with the practical and philosophy deals with the abstract.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2
    Here’s an idea. Prior to the evolution of Homo sapiens, the forces that are studied in the sciences (the hard sciences) already existed. However, the ideas of philosophy had not because the human mind had not evolved to create them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman Robbedoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    49
    Science deals with experimental evidence while philosophy does not.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    17
    Science is a process to determine the natural world, using testing, hypothesing, and application to theory.

    Philosophy is about making arguments and points to support observations and conclusions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1
    Science is behind philosophy
    Philosophers come up with ideas and science either proves or disproves it
    There is no philosophical evidentiary support without science
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by averageanglo View Post
    Science is behind philosophy
    Philosophers come up with ideas and science either proves or disproves it
    There is no philosophical evidentiary support without science
    Example?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    72
    Science acquires data. Philosophies are the underpinnings by which the data may be interpreted.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    there is a branch of philosophy called "philosophy of science" which analyses how science works out in the real world
    as far as i'm aware there's no such thing as a "science of philosophy", presumably because the concept doesn't apply or make sense
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Science allows you to test your ideas (extremely harshly ) against observations.

    Philosophy allows you to incorporate those findings into a body of thought, some of which need not be scientific at all.

    Perhaps a broad analogy might be the fiction and non fiction section of the local library.

    Mix and match might be fine so long as you know the difference.
    More succinctly, science is the interpretation of data and philosophy is the interpretation of logic.
    There is as much if not more fiction in science than philosophy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,485
    If you believe this (it is a typical crackpot opinion) why join a science forum? Reading your posts so far you only seem to be here to air your daft opinions and stir up trouble...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by THoR View Post

    More succinctly, science is the interpretation of data and philosophy is the interpretation of logic.
    There is as much if not more fiction in science than philosophy.
    Both rely on logic (Setting out consequences following from a premise) but where the scientific discipline can/must be tested against observation at every point of the chain the philosophical discipline is free to start with any premise it pleases.

    Eg All Cretans are liars ,discuss

    So the philosophical discipline may actually be more powerful as it has fewer constraints.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by THoR View Post

    More succinctly, science is the interpretation of data and philosophy is the interpretation of logic.
    There is as much if not more fiction in science than philosophy.
    Both rely on logic (Setting out consequences following from a premise) but where the scientific discipline can/must be tested against observation at every point of the chain the philosophical discipline is free to start with any premise it pleases.

    Eg All Cretans are liars ,discuss

    So the philosophical discipline may actually be more powerful as it has fewer constraints.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by THoR View Post

    More succinctly, science is the interpretation of data and philosophy is the interpretation of logic.
    There is as much if not more fiction in science than philosophy.
    Both rely on logic (Setting out consequences following from a premise) but where the scientific discipline can/must be tested against observation at every point of the chain the philosophical discipline is free to start with any premise it pleases.

    Eg All Cretans are liars ,discuss

    So the philosophical discipline may actually be more powerful as it has fewer constraints.
    Point well taken. BOTH disciplines can be wrong when logic is either misapplied or applied to flawed data.
    Axioms are more philosophical than scientific...i.e. Euclid's Common Notions. That logic is critical to correct interpretation.
    The axiomatic principles upon which hypotheses are based are self-evident, and don't require experiment or data.
    Actually philosophy (especially political) probably misapplies those axioms more often than science (except as applied to cosmology and abiogenesis).
    I have always found semantics to be the main stumbling block.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman Asexperi@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    36
    Science is experimental and Philosophy is speculation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Asexperi@ View Post
    Science is experimental and Philosophy is speculation.
    No.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2
    We have so many theories of dark matter that most must be philosophy ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo Moilanen View Post
    We have so many theories of dark matter that most must be philosophy ?
    Well I wasn't aware there were lots of theories like that.

    That would match my ignorance of philosophy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Asexperi@ View Post
    Science is experimental and Philosophy is speculation.
    I'm inclined to say that science is speculation and philosophy is experimental!

    That's why I've given up reading New Scientist magazine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,520
    Phosphene in Venusian atmosphere, Martian methane/organic compounds, microfossils(?) in meteors, Drake equation, potential evidence for life possibilities throughout universe but no scientist will acknowledge alien life exists until they’re actually looking right at it. OTOH God just is.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Phosphene in Venusian atmosphere, Martian methane/organic compounds, microfossils(?) in meteors, Drake equation, potential evidence for life possibilities throughout universe but no scientist will acknowledge alien life exists until they’re actually looking right at it. OTOH God just is.
    I think you may be giving religious belief the unearned status of a philosophical doctrine.

    I have always told myself that philosophical beliefs and questions came when one martialled such facts and likelihoods as one was able to assemble and ,as if arranging flowers give them as meaningful an ordering as one could. (like seeing the wood for the tress or standing back to look at a painting)

    Not far different from scientific inquiry but without the shackles of the scientific method.

    True ,any philosophical argument can be shown to be wrong but perhaps fundamentally only on its own terms(it's the axiom ,innit?)

    I would like to hear of any philosophical argument that had been disproved by recourse to experimental data.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,520
    I would wager that there’s significantly more philosophical thought pertaining to a diety(ies) and associated religion than science.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 20th, 2012, 04:30 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM
  3. Is philosophy useful for a career in science?
    By bgjyd834 in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2011, 02:56 AM
  4. Why pursue science and philosophy?
    By Cold Fusion in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 7th, 2008, 03:17 AM
  5. Dissolution of Science and Philosophy
    By balasaraswathi in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •