Notices
Results 1 to 35 of 35
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 2 Post By Daecon
  • 1 Post By cosmictraveler
  • 1 Post By zinjanthropos
  • 1 Post By zinjanthropos
  • 1 Post By Homysteu
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By Homysteu
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum

Thread: I found a very explainable meaning/purpose to life. Now what?

  1. #1 I found a very explainable meaning/purpose to life. Now what? 
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Before pointing out a few stuff; I need you to know that my English is horrible (sorry for that) , that I respect everyone not mattering your religion or ethnics and that I'm sorry if I disobey the forum rules (I will come to a reason later).

    So does our life has a purpose? Yes, I have finally found one, its the same for everyone! And before I say it, I need to explain a few stuff because the topic is kind of complex to understand at first. So I want you think along as you read it, Good luck! (If you want to skip the boring section then just read the last paragraph but then you are likely to disagree because you wont know the details).

    If I make a question asking: "Was Hitler awesome?", a lot of people would disagree, and THAT is the point where i want to get. To actually answer that we need to think that we are from another planet and we are arguing if an alien is awesome or not. That's exactly what we need to do when we are arguing about life. However, we can't think we are things that doesn't live because nothing thinks except living things. So we need to look at things that makes life, and the mother of life is actually mother nature. Please don't get the wrong idea! When I say "Mother Nature" I mean everything that makes up matter and their behavior Ex: stars, heat, light, atoms, quarks, gravity,....... Please don't get confused with trees or animals because all that get in the section of "Life".

    Remember, this theory is for all religions so don't judge Mother Nature as a superior being, it's just what makes up stuff all around you. There are plenty of theories on how the Universe came to be, you can be christian, atheist or anything ,it doesn't matter as long as you agree that up to some time everything came to existence (that's the birth of Mother Nature). If you are atheist you might believe that a long time ago cells emerged and started making the role of evolution up to now ,if however you believe in God you might believe that on the first week God made the light, the earth, plants, animals and finally humans (I can't talk about other beliefs because I don't have enough knowledge). That's fine on what road you take, as long as you agree that up to some time there was a start for Life.

    If I asked you: "What's the biggest chemical reaction?". Some would say: " Atomic Bomb! ", the smarter ones would say: " Whale! ", after hours of thinking and researching I came to a conclusion that the answer is actually " Life ". Why??? It's because all cells are very complex chemical reactions that makes up all living things, after many generations of that non-stopping chemical reactions it's still working until the birth of Life. Now you're asking me what all this has to do with our purpose, the answer is clear, it's to reproduce! Don't get the wrong idea that everything in your life will sum up as sex (that's why I'm sorry to the forum rules). You, me, he, she, everyone was born to have have children and to carry on the endless chemical reaction, It's true, and I'm going to prove you with all the stuff I wrote before.

    Remember when I divided everything in the Universe in two sections called: Mother Nature and Life: and that something gave birth to another? Let's take the example of God, using logic we can say that the Universe was created so that life could exist in the way it is. If we talk about the Evolution of Chemistry we can say that long ago all gas, heat and radiation fused together making the first most simple cells in our seas and with evolution came to what is now. Again, the result is the same..... Life is Mother Nature in a much complex way with limitations and different tools such as adaptation. Our species known as Homo Sapiens can be son of life because we are life, but way much complicated. Following the bible, it says that God created a pair for each species , Adam and Eve were the first humans and this theory can be applied into mine because us humans are living things and we are way much complex than other species. Following that pattern we can say that Mother Nature is our grandmother in comparison of complexity.

    So, what does Mother Nature has to do with our species and our purpose in life? Well, actually everything! Agreeing that Mother Nature and it's rules, made Life with the same rules such as chemistry, and Life makes us Humans, it doesn't mean that we are separated from Life, we are made of Life and one of the ultimate rules that Mother Nature made is Reproduction! Probably you are wondering: "What about the living things that can't reproduce such as donkeys or ... ? Are you saying that they don't have a purpose like us?" Unfortunately yes nothing I can do about it, natural selection is a very cruel tool used by Life since the beginning... However there is an exception, it's homosexuality, two dads or two mums can't have kids (they can), however most (as I know) of them adopt kids and eventually take care of them until their adult age continuing the chemical reaction...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please be nice this is just a theory I thought long ago and that I'm still thinking about it. This is my first thread so I'd like very heavy feedback of your opinion. Remember I
    respect everyone like I want to be respected .


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    So does our life has a purpose? Yes, I have finally found one, its the same for everyone!
    Probably you are wondering: "What about the living things that can't reproduce such as donkeys or ... ? Are you saying that they don't have a purpose like us?" Unfortunately yes nothing I can do about it, natural selection is a very cruel tool used by Life since the beginning... However there is an exception, it's homosexuality, two dads or two mums can't have kids (they can), however most (as I know) of them adopt kids and eventually take care of them until their adult age continuing the chemical reaction...
    So the "purpose of life" was "given to us" by nature - in your own words "one of the ultimate rules that Mother Nature made is Reproduction!".
    Yet you also acknowledge that (as shown in the second quote I gave) some of us break that "ultimate rule".
    Does that not suggest that the "rule" isn't actually a rule?
    (And your "exception" for homosexuals doesn't work, because adoption isn't reproduction).


    Regardless you're using the word "purpose" in a far too encompassing sense: reproduction is a function, not a purpose.
    Or are you also suggesting that everyone should reproduce?
    How may times?
    Should we kill ourselves after we've reproduced? After all, once that's done we have no further "purpose" do we?


    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    When I wrote "rule" I meant "something it does not work with out it", and the last two question i gave to myself was exceptions .... Thanks for this feedback , I just found out that I'm horrible to write a thread :L. Still learning how to use a forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    There's nothing wrong with ideas.
    And if you don't share them - and, importantly, take note of the feedback - how would ever know how valid they are?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Just for curiosity but why can't a function be a purpose?????? Think about engines, their purpose is to move stuff and their function is that too. " reproduction is a function, not a purpose "
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Because purpose (in the context of "purpose of life") means "intention or objective" (usually leading to a determined goal).
    Reproduction is an end in itself - if we didn't reproduce we couldn't reproduce.
    That means that, as a "purpose" it's somewhat circular - and self-justificatory.
    If we stopped reproducing we wouldn't reproduce: therefore there wouldn't be a "purpose".

    Think about engines, their purpose is to move stuff and their function is that too
    This is where it gets iffy. Engines are constructed for a purpose.
    That purpose being "whatever we wish to use them for" - get people from A to B, for example.
    Their function is to aid/ ease the purpose - the end result - for which they are intended.

    Purpose is the "desired/ intended end result".
    Function is "how that is achieved".

    Like I said, reproduction as a purpose is circular - there is no end result. (Nor signs of intent 1).

    1 In the sense that there's no intent of a final goal.
    scheherazade likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    Now you're asking me what all this has to do with our purpose, the answer is clear, it's to reproduce! Don't get the wrong idea that everything in your life will sum up as sex (that's why I'm sorry to the forum rules). You, me, he, she, everyone was born to have have children and to carry on the endless chemical reaction, It's true, and I'm going to prove you with all the stuff I wrote before.
    "Reproduction is the main event - all else is a sideshow", wrote one author, though I may be paraphrasing. I think this declaration ties in nicely with the above. I will try and remember where the quote appeared.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,274
    Asking for the purpose of life is like asking for the purpose of purple. It's a question that just doesn't work.
    adelady and dan hunter like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    I found a very explainable meaning/purpose to life. Now what?
    Okay. So you've realized we're all in this game of life, and you're figuring out the rules. Now what? Now decide how hard to play it.


    Personally, though I know what I ought to do (to win big) I can't overcome my soft nature.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Asking for the purpose of life is like asking for the purpose of purple. It's a question that just doesn't work.
    You might be right, however I disagree because Life is a much more complex system that we can analyse it, not just purple. Thinking of the color purple it enters in Mother Nature section (wavelengths), as I said Life is Mother Nature but way more different. If we think that living things are a color, then this color keeps changing every time, and this "changing" can have it's purpose. Got me?
    Last edited by Homysteu; April 24th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    *Ignore this*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    What does complexity have to do with purpose?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Asking for the purpose of life is like asking for the purpose of purple. It's a question that just doesn't work.
    Are you saying it should not be asked?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Asking for the purpose of life is like asking for the purpose of purple. It's a question that just doesn't work.
    Are you saying it should not be asked?
    He's saying it's a meaningless question.

    Do you think we should be asking meaningless questions (rhetorical)?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Asking for the purpose of life is like asking for the purpose of purple. It's a question that just doesn't work.
    Are you saying it should not be asked?
    I'm saying it makes no logical sense. The grammar of the phrasing is deceptive as the question *looks* grammatically correct, but the wording is inappropriate for the subject.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    “The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

    “The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.”
    Robert F. Kennedy

    “Living in a way that reflects one's values is not just about what you do, it is also about how you do things.”
    Deborah Day


    “Life is short as breathing!
    Forget Yesterday, Focus today to enjoy tomorrow!
    "The purpose of life is to live it, not destroy it.”
    Ebelsain Villegas


    “The purpose and point of this life is to learn and love – and it may be more specifically to learn to love.”
    Kimberly Giles, Choosing Clarity: The Path to Fearlessness
    samsmoot likes this.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    “The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

    “The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.”
    Robert F. Kennedy

    “Living in a way that reflects one's values is not just about what you do, it is also about how you do things.”
    Deborah Day


    “Life is short as breathing!
    Forget Yesterday, Focus today to enjoy tomorrow!
    "The purpose of life is to live it, not destroy it.”
    Ebelsain Villegas


    “The purpose and point of this life is to learn and love – and it may be more specifically to learn to love.”
    Kimberly Giles, Choosing Clarity: The Path to Fearlessness
    Not only humans, but all living things up to the tiniest bacteria to the biggest whale... My theory is for all Life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    It's not a theory and, again, why does complexity denote purpose?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    one of the ultimate rules that Mother Nature made is Reproduction!
    One of her other ultimate rules is defecation. Life and shit are inexorably linked. Did you ever stop and think about the purpose of shit? Nooooo!!! because you don't think it is worth thinking about. I can think of many purposes for shit but I can't think of one for life, except maybe to shit. How is it that shit's importance ranks higher than that of life's? Life is nothing but recycled shit. Shit gives life, and to a great degree, relief and pleasure....let's see life top that.
    Stargate likes this.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    one of the ultimate rules that Mother Nature made is Reproduction!
    One of her other ultimate rules is defecation. Life and shit are inexorably linked. Did you ever stop and think about the purpose of shit? Nooooo!!! because you don't think it is worth thinking about. I can think of many purposes for shit but I can't think of one for life, except maybe to shit. How is it that shit's importance ranks higher than that of life's? Life is nothing but recycled shit. Shit gives life, and to a great degree, relief and pleasure....let's see life top that.
    Why are you firing so direct? are you sure you are hitting the mark? I have no problems with that truth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    one of the ultimate rules that Mother Nature made is Reproduction!
    One of her other ultimate rules is defecation. Life and shit are inexorably linked. Did you ever stop and think about the purpose of shit? Nooooo!!! because you don't think it is worth thinking about. I can think of many purposes for shit but I can't think of one for life, except maybe to shit. How is it that shit's importance ranks higher than that of life's? Life is nothing but recycled shit. Shit gives life, and to a great degree, relief and pleasure....let's see life top that.
    Why are you firing so direct? are you sure you are hitting the mark? I have no problems with that truth.
    Life is a riddle.
    Stargate likes this.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    one of the ultimate rules that Mother Nature made is Reproduction!
    One of her other ultimate rules is defecation. Life and shit are inexorably linked. Did you ever stop and think about the purpose of shit? Nooooo!!! because you don't think it is worth thinking about. I can think of many purposes for shit but I can't think of one for life, except maybe to shit. How is it that shit's importance ranks higher than that of life's? Life is nothing but recycled shit. Shit gives life, and to a great degree, relief and pleasure....let's see life top that.
    Why are you firing so direct? are you sure you are hitting the mark? I have no problems with that truth.
    Life is a riddle.
    LoL. As I understood from Zin's comment life can be compared to "shit", if was that simple then all Life is living to "****"; just good luck.
    Life might be a riddle, and with a answer of course!
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    once again demonstrating the relativism of much of philosophy, purpose has to be defined relative to something, i.e my purpose, his purpose, the purpose, purpose is human. Nature is not human.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    once again demonstrating the relativism of much of philosophy, purpose has to be defined relative to something, i.e my purpose, his purpose, the purpose, purpose is human. Nature is not human.
    Nature can be anything it wants to be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    once again demonstrating the relativism of much of philosophy, purpose has to be defined relative to something, i.e my purpose, his purpose, the purpose, purpose is human. Nature is not human.
    Nature can be anything it wants to be.
    Nature is indeed everything, matter and energy. And I never said Nature is human. Human is classified as Life because every living thing is made of cells as we are. "The purpose has to be relative to something", can this relative be all the genes trying to multiply in this endless chemical reaction???
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Why does complexity denote purpose? How is it that dividing cells have purpose and the color purple doesn't?
    scheherazade likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Why does complexity denote purpose? How is it that dividing cells have purpose and the color purple doesn't?
    Dividing cells is a purpose-function because without it Life wouldn't continue, now if I ask you what is the purpose of the color purple, then is the same thing asking what is the purpose of the universe, and that gets in the Mother Nature section. I'm trying to talk about a purpose of Life only, not Nature.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    Dividing cells is a purpose-function because without it Life wouldn't continue
    I might be missing something, but this doesn't appear to make any sense.

    Is the propagation of light a "purpose-function"? Because without that, life wouldn't exist. Neither would the color purple.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    42
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    Dividing cells is a purpose-function because without it Life wouldn't continue
    I might be missing something, but this doesn't appear to make any sense.

    Is the propagation of light a "purpose-function"? Because without that, life wouldn't exist. Neither would the color purple.
    I don't see how light is needed for bacteria to live. However, supose a plant cell (leaf) need light to survive then I do agree with you that there is no other way to produce energy and eventually she will just die. When I was talking about Nature is mother of Life I wasn't writing that down for no reasons... Nature is matter, energy, space, time, the whole universe and according to my text Nature made Life. Supose we look back into the chemical theory were the first living thing was created by radiation, water, heat etc.... Until now the ecosystem are depending from the light of our sun, it doesn't mean we can't use Nature to live..... If the color purple (let's say ultraviolet) didn't exist then the Nature would not have made life and no cells could have achieve it's ultimate goal wich is to reproduce.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Freshman Homysteu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Universe, Milky Way, Sun, Earth, Here
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    42
    Any proof? I mean, if we were to solve the purpose of our life with a number then the most reasonable would be Fibonacci's number.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    42
    Any proof? I mean, if we were to solve the purpose of our life with a number then the most reasonable would be Fibonacci's number.
    Phrases from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,054
    Life is it's own purpose.

    It IS a circular equation.

    All that I observe is cyclical and recycling over time, though the intervals of some cycles may go beyond our current records.

    The purpose of the existence of our species may be beyond the ability of any one individual of the species to fully appreciate. Our comprehension of 'a purpose to life' is not a prerequisite of the function of life.

    The 'riddle' or question is embedded in our DNA as a precaution and an incentive to motivate us in favor of survival.

    After all, if there is not purpose, then why bother? Oblivion is so much less work...
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    I don't see how light is needed for bacteria to live.
    Without radiation from the Sun, there would be no life on our planet. Some life has evolved to survive with no or minimal light, but they still need the heat provided by it. I don't know of any life that can reproduce in frozen darkness.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Homysteu View Post
    I don't see how light is needed for bacteria to live.
    Without radiation from the Sun, there would be no life on our planet. Some life has evolved to survive with no or minimal light, but they still need the heat provided by it. I don't know of any life that can reproduce in frozen darkness.

    The lower temperature limit of reproduction is currently set at ca. 253 K (Clarke, A. et al., 2013):
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarke, A. et al., 2013
    Evidence suggests that these cells do also eventually vitrify, but at lower temperatures that may be below -50°C. Since cells must return to a fluid state to resume metabolism and complete their life cycle, and ice is almost universally present in environments at sub-zero temperatures, we propose that the vitrification temperature represents a general lower thermal limit to life on Earth, though its precise value differs between unicellular (typically above ~20°C) and multicellular organisms (typically below ~20°C). Few multicellular organisms can, however, complete their life cycle at temperatures below ~-2°C.

    Growth in frozen darkness is possible, but it is not the optimal environment.
    scheherazade likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Meaning, Purpose
    By Obviously in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: February 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •