Notices
Results 1 to 85 of 85
Like Tree42Likes
  • 3 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By Karsus
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By dan hunter
  • 2 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By sarnamluvu
  • 1 Post By dan hunter
  • 2 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 2 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 4 Post By PhDemon
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By PumaMan
  • 1 Post By dan hunter
  • 2 Post By umbradiago
  • 2 Post By scheherazade
  • 2 Post By umbradiago
  • 1 Post By Trivium
  • 1 Post By umbradiago
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 2 Post By umbradiago
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 2 Post By dan hunter
  • 1 Post By Mr. Painter

Thread: Why are less obvious jokes funnier?

  1. #1 Why are less obvious jokes funnier? 
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier.

    Example:

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will become infertile.

    Vs

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will fall and I will hurt my balls.


    The first one is funnier. Why?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    For me to answer this I would have to find one, or other, or both funny. Since this condition is not met I am unable to supply an answer.


    adelady, Stargate and GoldenRatio like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,812
    OP....
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    For me to answer this I would have to find one, or other, or both funny. Since this condition is not met I am unable to supply an answer.
    The JG quote qualifies
    Last edited by zinjanthropos; February 17th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Well, hurting your balls is funny if you have a video of it, isn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Well, hurting your balls is funny if you have a video of it, isn't it?
    Yes, but only if it is self inflicted, it is one of those Darwin Awards things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    I find neither of the examples humorous. What a more obscure and/or complex joke is to me, isn't funnier per se, but an acknowledgment and appreciation of the difficulty in making said joke.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,439
    It also depends on the skill with which the joke is told, there is nothing worse than a poor comedian trying to tell an involved joke and screwing it up, it is painful to watch.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    It also depends on the skill with which the joke is told, there is nothing worse than a poor comedian trying to tell an involved joke and screwing it up, it is painful to watch.
    i was under the impression that all comedians (as well as academics) were poor. If nothing else, I provided you an example of a poorly executed joke.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,439
    Nah, some of them have loads of money (especially those like Jimmy Carr who don't pay their taxes).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Nah, some of them have loads of money (especially those like Jimmy Carr who don't pay their taxes).
    comedy is one of the less humorous religious institutions.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    To answer the OP. I think the added cleverness, which makes the audience think for a second, adds to the humor.

    (steps on a rake and gives his future son a black eye)
    Daecon likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,439
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    It also depends on the skill with which the joke is told, there is nothing worse than a poor comedian trying to tell an involved joke and screwing it up, it is painful to watch.
    So, we have met.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore Karsus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    194
    I enjoy the kind of joke that sets up like a regular joke, then ends with a very blunt, serious answer.

    For example...
    What would Shakespeare do if he were alive today?
    Scream and frantically scratch at the lid of his coffin.
    Daecon likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Masters Degree DianeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    504
    I don't know about those particular jokes, but humor seems to involve an element of surprise, something unexpected.

    Another thing I notice living in a bi-lingal country is that humour often doesn't translate well, since it often involves understatement, exageration, and words that have humourous but unstated associations that aren't always picked up by a non-native speaker. Or just funny sounds.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,439
    For the just "funny sounds comedy" this is a good example. Rowan Atkinson as a teacher just reading out a list of random words as a role call of pupils names.

    Rowan Atkinson - The School Master - YouTube
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    For the just "funny sounds comedy" this is a good example. Rowan Atkinson as a teacher just reading out a list of random words as a role call of pupils names.

    Rowan Atkinson - The School Master - YouTube
    I didn't get it. Couldn't figure out what they were laughing at.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Another thing is, jokes usually go stale if they are told too often.
    If somebody says a joke you told is a good old joke the important part of "good old" is old.

    What might have been funny when you were a 10year old tends to get a bit stale by the time you are in your 20s.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Some of the humor of more subtle jokes comes from having a chuckle at those who 'don't get it'. Humor is but one of life's many little games of one-upmanship. Appropriate humor for each situation is a skill. One does not tell the same type of jokes at the office as one does at a stag party, as example. The double entendre is one of my favorite types of humor, where the words can have more than one meaning, with one of them bordering on the naughty.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Another thing is, jokes usually go stale if they are told too often.
    If somebody says a joke you told is a good old joke the important part of "good old" is old.

    What might have been funny when you were a 10year old tends to get a bit stale by the time you are in your 20s.
    Or at least one should hope so. I have had the misfortune to encounter some who must be suffering from arrested development when it comes to their sense of humor.

    Then again, perhaps some might have the same opinion of mine, lol...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    The double entendre is one of my favorite types of humor, where the words can have more than one meaning, with one of them bordering on the naughty.
    A girl walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a double entendre. So he gave her one.
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    A Priest, a Rabbi, and an Imam walk into a bar.
    The bartender looks at them and says, "What is this, some kind of a joke?"
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    The double entendre is one of my favorite types of humor, where the words can have more than one meaning, with one of them bordering on the naughty.
    A girl walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a double entendre. So he gave her one.
    Double Entendre
    1 fresh apricot (plus 1 for garnish)
    2 sugar cubes (brown)
    2 oz / 56 ml bourbon
    Dash apricot brandy
    Soda
    Muddle the apricot with the sugar in a shaker. Add the bourbon and the brandy, and shake with ice. Strain the mix into a glass filled with crushed ice. Top with soda. To garnish, slice the remaining apricot into 6 pieces and add to the drink.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    For the just "funny sounds comedy" this is a good example. Rowan Atkinson as a teacher just reading out a list of random words as a role call of pupils names.

    Rowan Atkinson - The School Master - YouTube
    I didn't get it. Couldn't figure out what they were laughing at.
    It's hard to explain, most Brits of my age and older find it funny (judging by people I know), it's possibly due to the fact that people in their late 30s up in the UK remember teachers like this from their own school days, the headmaster of my secondary (high) school could have been in the room and it's partly "nostalgia humour" with added funny sounds and great comic timing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier.

    Example:

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will become infertile.

    Vs

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will fall and I will hurt my balls.





    The first one is funnier. Why?


    didn't find either remotely humorous.....
    adelady and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    548
    more mental power needed to get it?

    a perception that getting a harder joke means one is smarter, or the joke is more intelligent?
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnamluvu View Post
    more mental power needed to get it?

    a perception that getting a harder joke means one is smarter, or the joke is more intelligent?
    But why is that funny?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier.

    Example:

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will become infertile.

    Vs

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will fall and I will hurt my balls.





    The first one is funnier. Why?


    didn't find either remotely humorous.....
    Well why is "Girl when I ski I use 3 poles"

    a better pick up line than "I currently have a penis"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Don't give up your dayjob.
    adelady likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    For the just "funny sounds comedy" this is a good example. Rowan Atkinson as a teacher just reading out a list of random words as a role call of pupils names.

    Rowan Atkinson - The School Master - YouTube
    So glad you posted that. One of my all-time favourites.

    (And no. I never was a schoolboy and I certainly never went to an English public school, but it's still uproariously funny.)
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier.

    Example:

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will become infertile.

    Vs

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will fall and I will hurt my balls.





    The first one is funnier. Why?


    didn't find either remotely humorous.....
    Well why is "Girl when I ski I use 3 poles"

    a better pick up line than "I currently have a penis"
    That is moronic, not humorous.

    I doubt you are able to pick up many women with stupid comments that make zero sense and certainly do not relay any type of humor.
    adelady and Stargate like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    He's only a teenager so no actual women are in danger of his attentions or his conversation.

    But my suspicion is that teenage girls also have enough sense to stay away from that sort of silliness.
    babe likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    He's only a teenager so no actual women are in danger of his attentions or his conversation.

    But my suspicion is that teenage girls also have enough sense to stay away from that sort of silliness.
    absolutely!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    Stargate and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    *cough*

    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    Step 1. If you've heard or made up a joke about anyone's genitalia, don't try it out on any girl or woman you've just met.

    Step 2. Personal hygiene is very important.

    Step 3. Anything really.
    scheherazade likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    define refinement!!!
    step 1. If you've heard or made up a joke about anyone's genitalia, don't try it out on any girl or woman you've just met.

    Step 2. Personal hygiene is very important.

    Step 3. Anything really.
    i love it!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,439
    I've been helping to teach a class of 10 year olds this week, my witty banter often went unnoticed, when reading to them from a story book a lot of the "jokes" went unregarded. Biggest laugh of the week? When one kid in the front row farted really loudly and hid under his desk in embarrassment. Sophisticated humour
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    *cough*

    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    LOL...

    I teach horses and young men manners. They are still wild by nature but they make much better companion animals for a veneer of civilization.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    Step 1. If you've heard or made up a joke about anyone's genitalia, don't try it out on any girl or woman you've just met.
    I got some good lady friends by doing that though /:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    *cough*

    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    LOL...

    I teach horses and young men manners. They are still wild by nature but they make much better companion animals for a veneer of civilization.

    HOWLING at the comparison of horse and young men!!

    I WILL BEHAVE!!hahahahahahaha
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    *cough*

    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    LOL...

    I teach horses and young men manners. They are still wild by nature but they make much better companion animals for a veneer of civilization.

    HOWLING at the comparison of horse and young men!!

    I WILL BEHAVE!!hahahahahahaha
    LOL....

    Yet the evidence of your Miss Behavin... follows you everywhere you go!

    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    *cough*

    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    LOL...

    I teach horses and young men manners. They are still wild by nature but they make much better companion animals for a veneer of civilization.

    HOWLING at the comparison of horse and young men!!

    I WILL BEHAVE!!hahahahahahaha
    LOL....

    Yet the evidence of your Miss Behavin... follows you everywhere you go!



    This much more like me!!!!


    Can't you see the resemblance?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    No one has said Punch line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia yet?

    I think Freud wrote a book: wit and it's relation to the subconcious


    Gotta' go eat, didn't read wiki... only used the "find" function on the browser.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier.

    Example:

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will become infertile.

    Vs

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will fall and I will hurt my balls.


    The first one is funnier. Why?
    Neither of those is funny. I don't get the first one (in its own context) and the second one isn't a bit funny.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Jokes that are harder to get, tend to be funnier.

    Example:

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will become infertile.

    Vs

    If I try to grind that pipe, I will fall and I will hurt my balls.


    The first one is funnier. Why?
    I don't get the first one
    You will when you get older
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    You will when you get older
    No. I think it's just the opposite. A person would have to be 12 years old to think your jokes are funny.
    adelady likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7
    if you read this whole thread you wll become infertile...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside the box View Post
    if you read this whole thread you wll become infertile...
    Your brain will atrophy, at the very least...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Your brain will atrophy, at the very least...
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    548
    er.. humour is relative. isn't that common knowledge? lol..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    You will when you get older
    No. I think it's just the opposite. A person would have to be 12 years old to think your jokes are funny.
    Why? Because a sexual joke is immature? Explain that to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    You will when you get older
    No. I think it's just the opposite. A person would have to be 12 years old to think your jokes are funny.
    Why? Because a sexual joke is immature? Explain that to me.
    Explanation would be wasted. BTW, don't you have a new disease to post about? Or a new injury? Or some new mental problem? Or some new black helicopter sighting?
    Last edited by PumaMan; March 9th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    He's only a teenager so no actual women are in danger of his attentions or his conversation.

    But my suspicion is that teenage girls also have enough sense to stay away from that sort of silliness.
    (Only a teenager), that stung deep. By the way, it's spelled "illness" not "silliness".
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    You will when you get older
    No. I think it's just the opposite. A person would have to be 12 years old to think your jokes are funny.
    Why? Because a sexual joke is immature? Explain that to me.
    Explanation would be wasted. BTW, don't you have a new disease to post about? Or a new injury? Or some new mental problem? Or some new black helicopter sighting?
    Insulting me is not a waste of your time, but explaining something to me is?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Insulting me is not a waste of your time, but explaining something to me is?
    Aw don't get your panties in a wad. Why don't you start a thread about something other than the things I listed above and we'll have a nice discussion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Insulting me is not a waste of your time, but explaining something to me is?
    Aw don't get your panties in a wad. Why don't you start a thread about something other than the things I listed above and we'll have a nice discussion.
    Well, you're the one that is insulting me for ______ reason. Are you upset that I post too many threads?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Well, you're the one that is insulting me for ______ reason.
    I'm not insulting you. Relax. I think your paranoia is popping up again. You know, not everyone thinks you are a creep.

    Are you upset that I post too many threads?
    No. Open as many as you like. I don't think there is any sort of limit on threads that you can open.
    Last edited by PumaMan; March 9th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Humor doesn't have to be funny. Humor can be lots of things. Funny is only one of them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Humor doesn't have to be funny. Humor can be lots of things. Funny is only one of them.
    Well the definition of humor from Wikipedia points to laughter.
    Humour or humor (see spelling differences) is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicineof the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humours (Latin: humor, "body fluid"), control human health and emotion.
    What were you thinking of?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Humor doesn't have to be funny. Humor can be lots of things. Funny is only one of them.
    Well the definition of humor from Wikipedia points to laughter.
    Humour or humor (see spelling differences) is the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicineof the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humours (Latin: humor, "body fluid"), control human health and emotion.
    What were you thinking of?
    Satire, to make some point. It's better if it is funny, but getting a laugh isn't always the intended purpose. And to ironic effect which seems more to do with educating than entertaining.
    scheherazade and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    I can't recall the source, but someone said, "comedy is tragedy that happens to somebody else. ". I suspect the first human laugh happened when someone observed someone else suffer a pratfall. America's Funniest Videos is mostly about the same reflex.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    People differ in what they find humorous, depending on gender, age, culture and experience, just to name a few factors. Below are 20 recognized forms of humor to illustrate my comment.
    Consider this your 'homework', lol...

    Humor comes in many flavors, any of which may appeal to one person but not to another, and which may be enjoyed in alternation or in combination. Here are names and descriptions of the varieties of comic expression:
    1. Anecdotal: Named after the word anecdote (which stems from the Greek term meaning “unpublished”); refers to comic personal stories that may be true or partly true but embellished.
    2. Blue: Also called off-color, or risque (from the French word for “to risk”); relies on impropriety or indecency for comic effect. (The name probably derives from the eighteenth-century use of the word blue to refer to morally strict standards — hence the phrase “blue laws” to refer to ordinances restricting certain behavior on the Sabbath).
    A related type is broad humor, which refers to unrestrained, unsubtle humor often marked by coarse jokes and sexual situations.
    3. Burlesque: Ridicules by imitating with caricature, or exaggerated characterization. The association with striptease is that in a bygone era, mocking skits and ecdysiastic displays were often on the same playbills in certain venues.
    4. Dark/Gallows/Morbid: Grim or depressing humor dealing with misfortune and/or death and with a pessimistic outlook.
    5. Deadpan/Dry: Delivered with an impassive, expressionless, matter-of-fact presentation.
    6. Droll: From the Dutch word meaning “imp”; utilizes capricious or eccentric humor.
    7. Epigrammatic: Humor consisting of a witty saying such as “Too many people run out of ideas long before they run out of words.” (Not all epigrams are humorous, however.) Two masters of epigrammatic humor are Benjamin Franklin (as the author of Poor Richard’s Almanackand Oscar Wilde.
    8. Farcical: Comedy based on improbable coincidences and with satirical elements, punctuated at times with overwrought, frantic action. (It, like screwball comedy — see below — shares many elements with a comedy of errors.) Movies and plays featuring the Marx Brothers are epitomes of farce. The adjective also refers to incidents or proceedings that seem too ridiculous to be true.
    9. High/highbrow: Humor pertaining to cultured, sophisticated themes.
    10. Hyperbolic: Comic presentation marked by extravagant exaggeration and outsized characterization.
    11. Ironic: Humor involving incongruity and discordance with norms, in which the intended meaning is opposite, or nearly opposite, to the literal meaning. (Not all irony is humorous, however.)
    12. Juvenile/sophomoric: Humor involving childish themes such as pranks, name-calling, and other immature behavior.
    13. Mordant: Caustic or biting humor (the word stems from a Latin word meaning “to bite”). Not to be confused with morbid humor (see above).
    14. Parodic: Comic imitation often intended to ridicule an author, an artistic endeavor, or a genre.
    15. Satirical: Humor that mocks human weaknesses or aspects of society.
    16. Screwball: Akin to farce in that it deals with unlikely situations and responses to those situations; distinguished, like farcical humor, by exaggerated characterizations and episodes of fast-paced action.
    17. Self-deprecating: Humor in which performers target themselves and their foibles or misfortunes for comic effect. Stand-up comedian Rodney Dangerfield was a practitioner of self-deprecating humor.
    18. Situational: Humor arising out of quotidian situations; it is the basis of sitcoms, or situation comedies. Situational comedies employ elements of farce, screwball, slapstick, and other types of humor.
    19. Slapstick: Comedy in which mock violence and simulated bodily harm are staged for comic effect; also called physical comedy. The name derives from a prop consisting of a stick with an attached piece of wood that slapped loudly against it when one comedian struck another with it, enhancing the effect. The Three Stooges were renowned for their slapstick comedy.
    20. Stand-up: A form of comedy delivery in which a comic entertains an audience with jokes and humorous stories. A stand-up comedian may employ one or more of the types of humor described here.
    http://www.dailywritingtips.com/20-t...orms-of-humor/
    Trivium and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Thanks, sheherasade. I like all of these. Humor is subjective, as many have said. But not without value. The ability to find the absurd in life is important to our sanity. Maybe this is why humans have the capacity for it ? I tell my dog jokes all the time, but he never seems to get them. People are better at getting them, but only some people. Also, I may not be very funny.
    scheherazade and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Thanks, sheherasade. I like all of these. Humor is subjective, as many have said. But not without value. The ability to find the absurd in life is important to our sanity. Maybe this is why humans have the capacity for it ? I tell my dog jokes all the time, but he never seems to get them. People are better at getting them, but only some people. Also, I may not be very funny.
    I think it's redundant to say something is subjective, since we can only see things from our own subject (just a little issue I have sorry).
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Thanks, sheherasade. I like all of these. Humor is subjective, as many have said. But not without value. The ability to find the absurd in life is important to our sanity. Maybe this is why humans have the capacity for it ? I tell my dog jokes all the time, but he never seems to get them. People are better at getting them, but only some people. Also, I may not be very funny.
    I think it's redundant to say something is subjective, since we can only see things from our own subject (just a little issue I have sorry).
    No apology needed. You have a point.
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I can't recall the source, but someone said, "comedy is tragedy that happens to somebody else. ". I suspect the first human laugh happened when someone observed someone else suffer a pratfall. America's Funniest Videos is mostly about the same reflex.
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I can't recall the source, but someone said, "comedy is tragedy that happens to somebody else. ". I suspect the first human laugh happened when someone observed someone else suffer a pratfall. America's Funniest Videos is mostly about the same reflex.
    Some of those videos really make me cringe because people very often do get hurt by some of the stunts they contrive or mishaps experienced.
    I suppose this is just 'natural selection' at work but I really do not care to watch some of the more serious wrecks. There is a gag show as well, "Just for Laughs', I believe it is called, which stages funny events on hidden camera. Some of them are pretty good, based on real life possibilities of silly circumstances but some of them could probably be hazardous to anyone with a weak heart.

    Cute critter videos are okay as long as the animal initiates the event, does not come to harm and it is not something that humans have contrived simply to get ratings.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Yes, it's hard for me to watch very much of Reality T.V., as well. I don't want reality; I thought that was why T.V. was invented. To help us escape reality. And much of it is obviously contrived for the reason you've stated. Cute critters are fun to see. And kids. These are genuine.
    PumaMan and scheherazade like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    The thrill of doing theatre I hearing the laughter and sometimes the tears. Applause is secondary.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    354
    If less obvious jokes are funnier, then why was friends so popular? After all its jokes were the most obvious jokes in the history of obvious jokes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    If less obvious jokes are funnier, then why was friends so popular? After all its jokes were the most obvious jokes in the history of obvious jokes.
    There is quite a difference between a joke that is told verbally and a visual sitcom or slapstick form of humor. With a less obvious joke, at least half of the humor lies in observing others who are present that 'don't get it'.
    Humor is a very interesting medium and can be used both to make others feel included and comfortable, or conversely, it can also be depreciating, offensive and divisive. One must choose their jokes very carefully when one advances into a position of authority, lest one undermines their own credibility among their supporters.
    Stargate likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    If less obvious jokes are funnier, then why was friends so popular? After all its jokes were the most obvious jokes in the history of obvious jokes.
    Solid delivery.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    I consider it quite entertaining to sport with the young bloods as long as they retain at least a modicum of propriety, lol. A great number of them are quite intimidated by women so I consider teaching them a bit of refinement to be similar to doing community service work.
    *cough*

    DEFINE REFINEMENT!!!
    LOL...

    I teach horses and young men manners. They are still wild by nature but they make much better companion animals for a veneer of civilization.
    Wooooo, that bad hey?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    354
    Why did the condom fly across the room?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    Why did the condom fly across the room?
    I give up; why did the condom fly across the room?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    Why did the condom fly across the room?
    I give up; why did the condom fly across the room?

    Because it was pissed off......:-)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    Why did the condom fly across the room?
    I give up; why did the condom fly across the room?

    Because it was pissed off......:-)
    Nearly funny, but a bit grubby.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    babe and jonio like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonio View Post
    Why did the condom fly across the room?
    I give up; why did the condom fly across the room?

    Because it was pissed off......:-)
    Nearly funny, but a bit grubby.
    Nearly funny...? So it made you Smile?:-)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    84
    People tend to feel accomplishing something by understanding a joke that is hard to get, well that's my conclusion at least
    please if you think the same or other wise, post it love to hear your opinions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Q: Why do men like blonde jokes?
    A: Because they can understand them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Q: Why do men like blonde jokes?
    A: Because they can understand them.
    it was so bad that i actually laughed very very quitely
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Painter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Q: Why do men like blonde jokes?
    A: Because they can understand them.
    it was so bad that i actually laughed very very quitely

    perfect
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Painter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Q: Why do men like blonde jokes?
    A: Because they can understand them.
    it was so bad that i actually laughed very very quitely

    perfect
    indeed
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Jokes
    By Ascended in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4322
    Last Post: October 11th, 2017, 03:45 AM
  2. Jokes
    By sciencestudy in forum Politics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: December 26th, 2013, 12:26 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
  5. Discovering the Obvious... and Sticking to It
    By uncle Mumun in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2009, 02:55 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •