Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Medical dilemma

  1. #1 Medical dilemma 
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Ok, your a doctor in a hospital and for whatever reason you only have 3 pints of a certain blood type available.

    Now, everybody is doing very well when all of a sudden a 25 year old tramp is brought into your A&E ward, at the same time the 55 year old prime minister of your country is also brought in.

    Both need (amazingly) 3 pints of this blood type to live there is no way of getting any more blood to the hospital before both men die.

    Which one would u give the blood to and why ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    If its our pm. give the blood to the tramp


    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Guest
    Give both and equal share of the blood and use the back up stocks of plasma which every hospital has.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    Give both and equal share of the blood and use the back up stocks of plasma which every hospital has.
    Maybe i did not explain myself properly.
    U have to chose which one of these men lives and which one dies.
    Its an hypothetical question.
    Who would u choose to live and why?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,355
    ignoring all the medical reasons etc. your basically asking if one mans life is worth more than anothers based on his social status

    If nothing could seperate them on medical grounds then i would choose the younger everytime(but only cause on medical reasons they couldn't be seperated)
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    ignoring all the medical reasons etc. your basically asking if one mans life is worth more than anothers based on his social status

    If nothing could seperate them on medical grounds then i would choose the younger everytime(but only cause on medical reasons they couldn't be seperated)
    social status and age

    tramp is 25, pm is 55

    social status v youth is the question of debate
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    Here's is the engineers solution,
    wire them up together allowing the blood to circulate through both of them, or give them just a pint and a half each, the shortfall of 1.5 pints would not be a serious loss - remember you give a pint when you donate, as far as I remember a healthy person can survive a loss of up to 4 pints, depending on circumstances. But that could all be bullshit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Then suddenly, dracula comes in and says "I need bloood", fortunately the blodtype he needs is the one you've got.

    What do you do then?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    I'm glad i asked now
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    Give both and equal share of the blood and use the back up stocks of plasma which every hospital has.
    Maybe i did not explain myself properly.
    U have to chose which one of these men lives and which one dies.
    Its an hypothetical question.
    Who would u choose to live and why?
    This is why I hate hypothetical questions. The premise is illogical, ALL hospitals have plasma and blood alternatives. Save for those in third world countries.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Here's is the engineers solution,
    wire them up together allowing the blood to circulate through both of them, or give them just a pint and a half each, the shortfall of 1.5 pints would not be a serious loss - remember you give a pint when you donate, as far as I remember a healthy person can survive a loss of up to 4 pints, depending on circumstances. But that could all be bullshit.
    but megabrain has the right idea. I've seen this procedure done on TV once...'course, it was on a movie...but whatever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    I'm glad i asked now
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    What, is this all for real? Not a joke? AAAAAAH

    I'm allergic to blood, can't live with it, can't live without it!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •