Notices
Results 1 to 66 of 66
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By shlunka
  • 1 Post By Anonymouse
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By LuciDreaming
  • 1 Post By Josey
  • 2 Post By cosmictraveler
  • 1 Post By LuciDreaming
  • 1 Post By bulle

Thread: Meaning of Life

  1. #1 Meaning of Life 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    I was in a Religious lecture about God and the meaning of life, as it began to drag on and get boring my eyes wondered onto a hot chick close to me who is fairly attractive and then i wondered.

    The meaning of life is to have Sex.
    In order for a species to continue living they have to reproduce .To do this they need to survive , to survive they evolve according to their environment.

    This helps them survive, and be able to reproduce to carry on their species .

    Prey mantises die when they breed. They've done their duty .Their heads get bitten off by the female after the eggs are fertilized.
    He's finished reproducing and done his work .

    Obviously not everything's going to die once it' shad sex .But that's an example of a reality.


    Does this seem logically right? Can someone counter this argument


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    You've already posted this in another forum, once is enough.
    Ill delete the other then


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    You've already posted this in another forum, once is enough.
    Ill delete the other then
    if i can..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    The meaning of life is to have Sex.
    In order for a species to continue living they have to reproduce .To do this they need to survive , to survive they evolve according to their environment.

    ...

    Does this seem logically
    right?

    Not at first glance, No.

    You might want to know that certain plantlife and animals are able to asexually reproduce. Therefore having "sex" in-order to reproduce and as a continuation of Life isn't necessarily and always cast in stone. There are people who have taken a celibate approach to life, and not just for religious reasons. Therefore the meaning to Life also isn't that as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Can someone counter this argument
    Does my attempt count?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    The meaning of life is to have Sex.
    In order for a species to continue living they have to reproduce .To do this they need to survive , to survive they evolve according to their environment.

    ...

    Does this seem logically
    right?

    Not at first glance, No.

    You might want to know that certain plantlife and animals are able to asexually reproduce. Therefore having "sex" in-order to reproduce and as a continuation of Life isn't necessarily and always cast in stone. There are people who have taken a celibate approach to life, and not just for religious reasons. Therefore the meaning to Life also isn't that as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Can someone counter this argument
    Does my attempt count?
    But they're still reproducing. No matter what they're doing. Although not physically, its a form of reproduction.

    They may have chosen to be celibate as well ,a choice. The percentage of celibates is low in contrast to those who aren't and could maybe be a psychological choice.

    I mean, are we told on how to reproduce sexually or is it instinct ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,325
    Moved and merged to philosophy where it fits better than biology. Enjoy.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Moved and merged to philosophy where it fits better than biology. Enjoy.
    Oh right, thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,784
    No wonder I'm always so gloomy, if the meaning of life is sex.
    mat5592 and babe like this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    No wonder I'm always so gloomy, if the meaning of life is sex.
    Im not if you're serious or not but i honestly laughed at that.
    shlunka likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    But they're still reproducing. No matter what they're doing. Although not physically, its a form of reproduction.
    Would you like to change the meaning to life isn't sex to reproduction instead? But even that has it's problems as I will provide an example below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    They may have chosen to be celibate as well ,a choice. The percentage of celibates is low in contrast to those who aren't and could maybe be a psychological choice.
    Are you also aware of the sexual orientation known as asexuality? Not asexual reproduction, but asexuality. You can refer to the following link for a little more information.

    Asexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Ultimately, for any individual, there is no meaning of life, except that which one makes of it.

    At the very worst, one is recycling atoms within the biosphere. If that has meaning for you, then do you wish for more?
    Speaking about "within the biosphere", some folks seem determined to spend their lives attempting to remove atoms from the biosphere, and fling them out into space, out of the atmosphere, and out of the solar system. Does the earth miss those atoms?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    But they're still reproducing. No matter what they're doing. Although not physically, its a form of reproduction.
    Would you like to change the meaning to life isn't sex to reproduction instead? But even that has it's problems as I will provide an example below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    They may have chosen to be celibate as well ,a choice. The percentage of celibates is low in contrast to those who aren't and could maybe be a psychological choice.
    Are you also aware of the sexual orientation known as asexuality? Not asexual reproduction, but asexuality. You can refer to the following link for a little more information.

    Asexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Despite Asexuality and such. Think of it from an instinctive view, not religious or choosing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Ultimately, for any individual, there is no meaning of life, except that which one makes of it.

    At the very worst, one is recycling atoms within the biosphere. If that has meaning for you, then do you wish for more?
    Speaking about "within the biosphere", some folks seem determined to spend their lives attempting to remove atoms from the biosphere, and fling them out into space, out of the atmosphere, and out of the solar system. Does the earth miss those atoms?
    I get it.Are you saying that a meaning being a desire to achieve something or a dream?
    Would the Earth miss those atoms?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    "Desire", per se, ofttimes enslaves those who have it.

    (more than a "wish" yet less than a whisper?)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Also keep in mind that some animals like Manikins , have main purpose's is to mate. They create colors,design homes, and even have wing-men just to attract another bird and mate . They decorate themselves and are born with bright colors just to attract the opposite sex.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    I think you described evolutionary survival/adaptation strategies, and not "the meaning of life"

    though
    perhaps they are the same?
    or not
    If being attractive to potential mates is the alpha and omega of "the meaning of life"
    then
    why these words?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    I think you described evolutionary survival/adaptation strategies, and not "the meaning of life"


    If being attractive to potential mates is the alpha and omega of "the meaning of life"
    then
    why these words?
    What do you mean? The same
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    I think you described evolutionary survival/adaptation strategies, and not "the meaning of life"<br>
    <br><br>
    If being attractive to potential mates is the alpha and omega of "the meaning of life"<br>
    then<br>
    why these words?
    <br><br>What do you mean? The same&nbsp;
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    I think you described evolutionary survival/adaptation strategies, and not "the meaning of life"<br>
    <br><br>
    If being attractive to potential mates is the alpha and omega of "the meaning of life"<br>
    then<br>
    why these words?
    <br><br>What do you mean? The same&nbsp;
    Whoops.Ignore that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    not quite
    ergo: the choice different of words
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    not quite
    ergo: the choice different of words
    I'm sorry.But i lost you at "
    though
    perhaps they are the same?
    or not
    If being attractive to potential mates is the alpha and omega of "the meaning of life"
    then
    why these words?"

    What do you mean in being the same?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Sophomore jakesyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I was in a Religious lecture about God and the meaning of life, as it began to drag on and get boring my eyes wondered onto a hot chick close to me who is fairly attractive and then i wondered.

    The meaning of life is to have Sex.
    In order for a species to continue living they have to reproduce .To do this they need to survive , to survive they evolve according to their environment.

    This helps them survive, and be able to reproduce to carry on their species .

    Prey mantises die when they breed. They've done their duty .Their heads get bitten off by the female after the eggs are fertilized.
    He's finished reproducing and done his work .

    Obviously not everything's going to die once it' shad sex .But that's an example of a reality.


    Does this seem logically right? Can someone counter this argument
    We reproduce but what does that do for us, absolutely nothing which is why we need religion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    which is why we need religion.
    "Need"?
    I doubt it.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Sophomore jakesyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    117
    We do need religion, watch this and see if it can change your opinion it talks about being a ritual
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    We do need religion
    Unsupported claim.

    watch this and see if it can change your opinion it talks about being a ritual
    My "opinion" hasn't changed.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    It may be said that some people feel a need for religion. They will create a religious like pattern to anything that is the current trend. It's the way our brains are.
    But that is not the same as saying people need religion, in general.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Sophomore jakesyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    It may be said that some people feel a need for religion. They will create a religious like pattern to anything that is the current trend. It's the way our brains are.
    But that is not the same as saying people need religion, in general.

    Maybe I said that wrong, society needs religion. First well my first point should be adequately explained here , second if a majority of humans need religion then society as a whole needs religion. After all as Dywyddyr said
    Atheist are in the minority
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    Maybe I said that wrong, society needs religion.
    Unsupported claim.

    First well my first point should be adequately explained here
    It isn't.

    second if a majority of humans need religion then society as a whole needs religion.
    Note that word "if"?
    Which means that you're working from an unsupported premise.

    After all as Dywyddyr said
    Atheist are in the minority
    Correct.
    Because most people don't think.
    jakesyl likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Because most people don't think.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Sophomore jakesyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    117
    [QUOTE=Dywyddyr;428828]
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    Maybe I said that wrong, society needs religion.
    Unsupported claim.
    Supported by the video

    First well my first point should be adequately explained here
    It isn't, It is

    second if a majority of humans need religion then society as a whole needs religion.
    Also explained in the video, and by the theocracies that have for almost the entire human existence
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    Supported by the video
    No it's not.
    That video makes NO claims (let alone provides factual data to support those claims) that this is so.

    It is
    Again, wrong.
    What it does say is that some non-religious people attempted to start non-religious rituals.

    Also explained in the video
    False.

    and by the theocracies that have for almost the entire human existence
    Explainable by other means: lack of availability of education, lack of availability of free communication, repression...
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I was in a Religious lecture about God and the meaning of life, as it began to drag on and get boring my eyes wondered onto a hot chick close to me who is fairly attractive and then i wondered.

    The meaning of life is to have Sex.
    In order for a species to continue living they have to reproduce .To do this they need to survive , to survive they evolve according to their environment.

    This helps them survive, and be able to reproduce to carry on their species .

    Prey mantises die when they breed. They've done their duty .Their heads get bitten off by the female after the eggs are fertilized.
    He's finished reproducing and done his work .

    Obviously not everything's going to die once it' shad sex .But that's an example of a reality.


    Does this seem logically right? Can someone counter this argument
    We reproduce but what does that do for us, absolutely nothing which is why we need religion.
    I doubt it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    We reproduce but what does that do for us, absolutely nothing which is why we need religion.
    What a strange question - "what does reproduction do for us?" (Are you John Cleese by chance?). Apart from the obvious answer that it keeps the species going - there are also myriad individual benefits to having sex - the physiological effect is beneficial, it supports mutual affection between couples and also provides a means for bacteria swapping which also supports mutual affection - in short it has done loads for us (just slightly more than the Romans I would say

    But I don't understand why you suppose it (or anything else for that matter) should do something for us even if it could. As far as I can see the various religions around the world hold humans as the pinnacle of creation just a bit less than god-like so why would we need anything to do anything for us? If anything we should surely be doing all we can for everything else.
    Josey likes this.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesyl View Post
    We reproduce but what does that do for us, absolutely nothing which is why we need religion.
    What a strange question - "what does reproduction do for us?" (Are you John Cleese by chance?). Apart from the obvious answer that it keeps the species going - there are also myriad individual benefits to having sex - the physiological effect is beneficial, it supports mutual affection between couples and also provides a means for bacteria swapping which also supports mutual affection - in short it has done loads for us (just slightly more than the Romans I would say

    But I don't understand why you suppose it (or anything else for that matter) should do something for us even if it could. As far as I can see the various religions around the world hold humans as the pinnacle of creation just a bit less than god-like so why would we need anything to do anything for us? If anything we should surely be doing all we can for everything else.
    I understand what Jake is saying. Reproduction is not a purpose for one's life. Very few people have as their life's objective to have as many offspring as possible. Reproduction is not a purpose of evolution, either. It is just a result of the fact that organisms which have certain instincts and drives, tend to reproduce. And those organisms are the ones that survived. This is not a purpose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    The purpose of life is to insure that others generations that follow ours has the same things in life to see, behold , enjoy, understand and learn from as we have. Taking away anything that we have around us today lessens the coming generations to have the bounty as we have today. We are caretakers of this planet and by learning that balance of human and nature will always be paramount in our survival of a species.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Freshman Josey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    59
    May it be that there is no purpose to life at all? I have a pupose when I make coffe in the morning.... a purpose to building a brick wall. I am thinking the question is: How do I find a purpose for my life? Which philosophy or path makes sense to me... or shall I blaze a fresh one?
    Last edited by Josey; June 6th, 2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling error
    LuciDreaming likes this.
    "the opera ain’t over until the fat lady sings." - Ralph Carpenter
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    I understand what Jake is saying. Reproduction is not a purpose for one's life. Very few people have as their life's objective to have as many offspring as possible. Reproduction is not a purpose of evolution, either. It is just a result of the fact that organisms which have certain instincts and drives, tend to reproduce. And those organisms are the ones that survived. This is not a purpose.

    But again why does anything have to have a purpose? Stuff happens - not especially satisfactory I know but that's really all there is to it. Evolution doesn't have a purpose at all, it just is. That people have a purpose for religion doesn't confer any more special status on it than going down the pub for the purpose of having a drink. Indeed you could add anything at all to the end of that sentence....that's why we need drugs, the RSPCA etc etc.

    And I would kind of disagree with your statement about reproduction too - I know many people who have stated all they have ever wanted is children - it is quite a natural instinct after all. But I wouldn't say its their life's work to have as many as possible although those people are not as rare as you may think.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    But again why does anything have to have a purpose?
    If you are happy not to have a purpose, so be it. The question comes up often enough. It seems many people want to think they have some purpose. For some reason, they seem to think science will show them a purpose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    I enjoy music, the arts, swimming, photography, traveling, eating, reading and on and on. So although I may not have a purpose I do enjoy many things that I am surrounded by and enjoy them as much as possible. As I have already stated that , to me, I am a caretaker for this planet and try to stay aware of doing the right things to insure I'm not upsetting the balance of nature as best I can while I'm here. This will insure that many generations from now those who are here will see and do what I have been able to do.
    LuciDreaming and Josey like this.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    I don't think we need to have a purpose to find meaning to our lives. I happen to think we are unbelievably privileged to be able to experience this world and universe the way we do and if I go with any regrets it will be at not being able to experience it from a different viewpoint (I have always spent a lot of time wondering what its like to be something else). I think its a shame to spend this life on earth being in awe of something that doesn't exist when there are so many things around us that are jaw-droppingly awesome.
    Josey likes this.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    36
    Life does have a purpose. Generally speaking, life is a process or a cycle like energy conversion. We know to little about the universe and are currently unable to place life among the chain of events in the known physics.

    Saying that life does not have a purpose is the same as saying that the expansion of the universe does not have a purpose.
    I find it ignorant or pessimistic to assume that life is just some meaningless byproduct when everything we know of basically serves as essence or foundation for something else.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by bulle View Post
    Life does have a purpose.
    Assumption.

    Generally speaking, life is a process or a cycle like energy conversion.
    That's NOT a purpose.

    Saying that life does not have a purpose is the same as saying that the expansion of the universe does not have a purpose.
    So what "purpose" does the expansion serve?

    I find it ignorant or pessimistic to assume that life is just some meaningless byproduct when everything we know of basically serves as essence or foundation for something else.
    Perhaps you could try thinking before posting next.
    Please.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by bulle View Post
    We know to little about the universe and are currently unable to place life among the chain of events in the known physics.
    We are quite capable. You say we aren't only to support your belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulle View Post
    Saying that life does not have a purpose is the same as saying that the expansion of the universe does not have a purpose.
    Well, that works out. One can say it's unlikely there is a "purpose" to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulle View Post
    I find it ignorant or pessimistic to assume that life is just some meaningless byproduct when everything we know of basically serves as essence or foundation for something else.
    What are you talking about, man? That statement does not follow. It's nonsense.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    36
    My english is not ideal and i seem to have confused the words purpose and function.

    Looking up the definition of it as i write i am starting to think that the word is hardly useful in science. Purpose, does anything at all really have it?

    Unlike most forums, threads like these are kept open here even though with incoherent inquiry. Is it because you care for people who lack wisdom and intend to challange their logic for the purpose of them possibly learning something?
    Neverfly likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    In other words life doesn't have a purpose.
    Thank you.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    155
    I believe,
    A person gives meaning to his life when he discovers (not invent) the ultimate purpose of his life or at least attempts to discover the ultimate purpose to his life through his own efforts!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    I believe,
    A person gives meaning to his life when he discovers (not invent) the ultimate purpose of his life or at least attempts to discover the ultimate purpose to his life through his own efforts!
    Well, that is, as you said, a mere belief.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    I believe,
    A person gives meaning to his life when he discovers (not invent) the ultimate purpose of his life or at least attempts to discover the ultimate purpose to his life through his own efforts!
    In other words you're saying that there IS a purpose to life - and that all one has to do is discover it.
    Evidence please.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    I believe,A person gives meaning to his life when he discovers (not invent) the ultimate purpose of his life or at least attempts to discover the ultimate purpose to his life through his own efforts!
    In other words you're saying that there IS a purpose to life - and that all one has to do is discover it.Evidence please.
    How can a person provide an evidence for something he has only experienced? Hence I chose to use term 'believe'. You can simply take it as my take on this matter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    You are lying if you're claiming you've experienced Discovering a set and deeper purpose in your life.

    You only BELIEVE that you have a set deeper purpose. You cannot provide evidence for it and you know you cannot provide evidence for it because it is an unfounded and unsupported belief.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I was in a Religious lecture about God and the meaning of life, as it began to drag on and get boring my eyes wondered onto a hot chick close to me who is fairly attractive and then i wondered.

    The meaning of life is to have Sex.
    In order for a species to continue living they have to reproduce .To do this they need to survive , to survive they evolve according to their environment.

    This helps them survive, and be able to reproduce to carry on their species .

    Prey mantises die when they breed. They've done their duty .Their heads get bitten off by the female after the eggs are fertilized.
    He's finished reproducing and done his work .

    Obviously not everything's going to die once it' shad sex .But that's an example of a reality.


    Does this seem logically right? Can someone counter this argument
    The purpose of life is reproduction.

    Humans (as opposed to preying mantises) require an extended period of care to survive from birth to adulthood. Thus our evolutionary work isn't done until we've not only mated, but also raised our children into adulthood.

    So we reach sexual maturity in our teens, mate, raise our own children to sexual maturity, and then........our bodies begin wearing out and our health slowly deteriorates until we die.

    Meaning, now that's something else. That's where religion or philosophy comes into play.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    You are lying if you're claiming you've experienced Discovering a set and deeper purpose in your life.You only BELIEVE that you have a set deeper purpose. You cannot provide evidence for it and you know you cannot provide evidence for it because it is an unfounded and unsupported belief.
    You accuse me of lying. Do you just think i was lying? Or know so? Or believe so? Or suspect so? Or is it because of some past experience with someone? Or is it your inteligence tells you so? Or is it something else?Btw please do not ignore the part i underscored in my first post because that's the first step. If you choose to ignore that then ignore the. whole post.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    I think that you are unaware that you lie to yourself on a constant basis where your beliefs are concerned.


    Your underlined bit doesn't make the difference that you think it does. You said, "Discover the purpose" not, "Invent the purpose of ones own imaginings." In fact, you were very clear about that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I think that you are unaware that you lie to yourself on a constant basis where your beliefs are concerned.Your underlined bit doesn't make the difference that you think it does. You said, "Discover the purpose" not, "Invent the purpose of ones own imaginings." In fact, you were very clear about that.
    So you don't believe it takes one's own effort to discover something or attempt to discover something? Would that not be considered as spoon feeding if there was no effort?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    So you don't believe it takes one's own effort to discover something or attempt to discover something? Would that not be considered as spoon feeding if there was no effort?
    That is not what I said and you know it.

    I do not believe there is a set deeper purpose to be discovered. You have already agreed that you can provide no evidence to support your beliefs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    So you don't believe it takes one's own effort to discover something or attempt to discover something? Would that not be considered as spoon feeding if there was no effort?
    That is not what I said and you know it.I do not believe there is a set deeper purpose to be discovered. You have already agreed that you can provide no evidence to support your beliefs.
    Yes, I was pretty clear about it and gave the actual reason for being unable to provide the evidence. Plus ability to provide evidence would only be unjust for it would take away half the privilege of discovering the ultimate purpose through one's own effort!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    and gave the actual reason for being unable to provide the evidence.
    No, you gave an actual excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    Plus ability to provide evidence would only be unjust for it would take away half the privilege of discovering the ultimate purpose through one's own effort!
    Nonsense. Einstein provided evidence for Relativity and I'm totally ok with losing out the privilege of discovering how it works all on my own.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    All the life changing discoveries I have ever made myself sucked big hairy rat ..... toys. So I am totally cool with someone else doing the discovering once in a while.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    All the life changing discoveries I have ever made myself sucked big hairy rat ..... toys. So I am totally cool with someone else doing the discovering once in a while.
    The part in bold- typo? Did you mean to say BALLS?

    Just wondering...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    and gave the actual reason for being unable to provide the evidence.
    No, you gave an actual excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithfulbeliever View Post
    Plus ability to provide evidence would only be unjust for it would take away half the privilege of discovering the ultimate purpose through one's own effort!
    Nonsense. Einstein provided evidence for Relativity and I'm totally ok with losing out the privilege of discovering how it works all on my own.
    Well, Einstein did not provide us the purpose of our life. PURPOSE of one's own life is not to be compared with so and so. I think humanity was privilaged to have such a personality as Einstein but in it has its own place.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    All the life changing discoveries I have ever made myself sucked big hairy rat ..... toys. So I am totally cool with someone else doing the discovering once in a while.
    The part in bold- typo? Did you mean to say BALLS?

    Just wondering...

    yeah..... was trying to be sensitive to the anti-testisisms of some believers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Toys?

    Sooo... You think big hairy rat balls are... Fun to play with?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    rats seem to think so.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    In other words life doesn't have a purpose.
    Thats an assumption too though, right? I mean it sure seems so in the vicinity of whats known, but we cant even say HOW much we know in comparison to the unknown.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    57
    The meaning of life is to follow the path of the universe and create ever so more complex knowledge as it's universal laws demands. I have got more in my theory that's now in the trash bin of this site. I should have started it right hare... Remember how the universe from the beginning of creation crated more complex atoms and molecules, and how life always evolved to more complex more knowledgeable beings, and how we humans evolved to create ever so more complex systems of information. It is universal trend and it is the purpose of meaning. To keep creating ever so more complex knowledge in accordance to what universe demands.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    This Is Spamming.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 30th, 2013, 10:36 PM
  2. The Meaning Of Life
    By Body_Fortress in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: November 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
  3. The meaning of life
    By Christoffer Joost in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM
  4. The meaning of life
    By Christoffer Joost in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 16th, 2009, 10:56 AM
  5. the meaning of life (2)
    By danspurs in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •