Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Philosophy question..

  1. #1 Philosophy question.. 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,525
    Philosophy , doe's this mean to speculate and we can ignore the maths?.

    Is this the section where the 4th dimension , I am allowed to talk about?

    Is this where I can explain my logic of thought on any subject to be scrutinized without pre-judgement?

    Is this where I can talk the walk , make the call, and be listened too?

    Is this were I can question invisible forces, and make my own conclusions and share those thoughts?

    In another words, is not Philosophy, no more than a story teller?

    I philosophize that the Universe is square, but not a square as we no a geometric shape square, But a relative square, been relative to visual point of view.

    The visual point of view been the 4th dimension, as our vision only allows us to see in 3D..

    We can not occupy different space at the same time, and one step backwards is almost the speed of light.

    But that 4th dimension is always one step ahead of us, and also one step behind.

    One step to the left, or one step to the right, no matter which way we step, the 4th dimension can not be seen.

    So if the 4th dimension can not be seen, that would make it invisible to our eyes, so the 4th dimension of time and space, is that what will never be seen.

    Then considering the major constituents of what we can not see, light,gravity, magnetism, space........that adds up to 4.



    OK, that above is an example of what I think philosophy is, is this close or no where near..?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by theorist View Post
    Philosophy , doe's this mean to speculate and we can ignore the maths?.
    You can speculate if it's grounded on logic, rationality and reasoning.
    Philosophy runs on strict rules.
    Maths isn't required.

    Is this the section where the 4th dimension , I am allowed to talk about?
    Depends what you want to say, how you say it, etc.

    Is this where I can explain my logic of thought on any subject to be scrutinized without pre-judgement?
    Providing it is logic.

    Is this where I can talk the walk , make the call, and be listened too?
    IF you can walk the walk.

    Is this were I can question invisible forces, and make my own conclusions and share those thoughts?
    If there's any evidence to suppose there's "invisible forces".

    In another words, is not Philosophy, no more than a story teller?
    Absolutely not!
    Too many people make that mistake.
    Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.

    I philosophize that the Universe is square, but not a square as we no a geometric shape square, But a relative square, been relative to visual point of view.
    Providing there's some reason to think so.
    Or, conversely, you could state it as a premise and then logically follow through to explore the idea.

    The visual point of view been the 4th dimension, as our vision only allows us to see in 3D..
    Er...

    We can not occupy different space at the same time, and one step backwards is almost the speed of light.
    Again, er...

    But that 4th dimension is always one step ahead of us, and also one step behind.
    What?

    So if the 4th dimension can not be seen, that would make it invisible to our eyes
    I wonder what the definition of invisible is.

    so the 4th dimension of time and space
    What?

    Then considering the major constituents of what we can not see, light,gravity, magnetism, space........that adds up to 4.
    Oh boy...

    OK, that above is an example of what I think philosophy is, is this close or no where near..?
    Not even close.

    Philosophy is NOT wild speculation. Nor is it unsupported assertion (see Chandragupta's threads for that type of failure). NOR is it rambling, incoherent badly-strung-together guesses.
    It is a rigorous, supported, series of rational and logical arguments leading to a sustainable conclusion.

    Footnote: the number of "er"s, "what"s and "oh boys" are indicators that, thus far, you have shown that you can't walk the walk.


    Last edited by Dywyddyr; March 4th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Here is good link if you're interested in getting involved in philosophy.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    I philosophize that the Universe is square, but not a square as we no a geometric shape square, But a relative square, been relative to visual point of view.
    No, you don't philosophise that. You're stating an idea about a possible subject for consideration - and that is literally all you are doing.

    I remember a dinner party a very long time ago when the people in our dining room were arguing, for want of a better word, about how we would distinguish between the universe being flat, round or W-shaped. By the time we got to 3 am the discussion was reduced to the lean-against-the-fridge-and-mumble style that you're proposing (when it wasn't shouting, incoherently). However, the first couple of hours were quite serious propositions and debates about history of science, cosmology, astronomy, physics and some really argumentative stuff based on formal logic (I stayed right out of that when someone pulled out a pen and sketched out some logical notation).

    Philosophy is not 'thinking aloud'. Nor is it a free for all for people who want to discuss anything and everything that passes through their minds. That's what pubs are for. Though if you're interested in intellectual free-for-alls a flick through a few philosophy journals should be just the ticket. They are absolutely brutal in attacking each other's arguments.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    I philosophize that the Universe is square, but not a square as we no a geometric shape square, But a relative square, been relative to visual point of view.
    No, you don't philosophise that. You're stating an idea about a possible subject for consideration - and that is literally all you are doing.

    I remember a dinner party a very long time ago when the people in our dining room were arguing, for want of a better word, about how we would distinguish between the universe being flat, round or W-shaped. By the time we got to 3 am the discussion was reduced to the lean-against-the-fridge-and-mumble style that you're proposing (when it wasn't shouting, incoherently). However, the first couple of hours were quite serious propositions and debates about history of science, cosmology, astronomy, physics and some really argumentative stuff based on formal logic (I stayed right out of that when someone pulled out a pen and sketched out some logical notation).

    Philosophy is not 'thinking aloud'. Nor is it a free for all for people who want to discuss anything and everything that passes through their minds. That's what pubs are for. Though if you're interested in intellectual free-for-alls a flick through a few philosophy journals should be just the ticket. They are absolutely brutal in attacking each other's arguments.

    Thank you for post, although I am still not clear on what Philosophy is..

    So is philosophy , lets say a debate on something, lets say gravity, but with logical fact added that could sway thought to your reasoning if there was no other logic to explain it?.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by theorist View Post
    Thank you for post, although I am still not clear on what Philosophy is.
    I gave a definition. With a link.

    So is philosophy , lets say a debate on something, lets say gravity, but with logical fact added that could sway thought to your reasoning if there was no other logic to explain it?.
    Philosophy is not a debate, although, as Adelady has noted, it can and usually does involve argument.
    The "brutality" mentioned is par for the course 1. You are expected to justify your reasoning every single step of the way.
    It's an inquiry, using logic.
    Mathematics and experiment aren't used because, many times, they can't be applied 2.
    Try this definition: Philosophy is an academic discipline that exercises reason and logic in an attempt to understand reality and answer fundamental questions about knowledge, life, morality and human nature.
    And note that that, too, is a link. Try looking at the link and doing some checking of your own.

    1 And rightly so. Anything based on sloppy or unjustified premises is merely a house built on sand.
    2 If they could then the subject of inquiry would a mathematical one or a physics one.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theorist View Post
    Thank you for post, although I am still not clear on what Philosophy is.
    I gave a definition. With a link.

    So is philosophy , lets say a debate on something, lets say gravity, but with logical fact added that could sway thought to your reasoning if there was no other logic to explain it?.
    Philosophy is not a debate, although, as Adelady has noted, it can and usually does involve argument.
    The "brutality" mentioned is par for the course 1. You are expected to justify your reasoning every single step of the way.
    It's an inquiry, using logic.
    Mathematics and experiment aren't used because, many times, they can't be applied 2.
    Try this definition: Philosophy is an academic discipline that exercises reason and logic in an attempt to understand reality and answer fundamental questions about knowledge, life, morality and human nature.
    And note that that, too, is a link. Try looking at the link and doing some checking of your own.

    1 And rightly so. Anything based on sloppy or unjustified premises is merely a house built on sand.
    2 If they could then the subject of inquiry would a mathematical one or a physics one.
    Ok I thank you, I think I understand, although some what vague I think I may be able to put a logical post together.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by theorist View Post
    Ok I thank you, I think I understand, although some what vague I think I may be able to put a logical post together.
    "Vague" is neither logical nor philosophy.
    Unless you can use rigour then all you're doing is speculating.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theorist View Post
    Ok I thank you, I think I understand, although some what vague I think I may be able to put a logical post together.
    "Vague" is neither logical nor philosophy.
    Unless you can use rigour then all you're doing is speculating.
    I do think I have something that displays rigour, but I am unsure whether it a been said before and ruled out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by theorist View Post
    I do think I have something that displays rigour, but I am unsure whether it a been said before and ruled out.
    There are very few arguments that are new.
    OTOH if you choose to run through this one it may teach you something.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    I would define philosophy as "asking the right questions" (and then asking more questions of the answers).
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    I wonder what philosophy is
    is it a generalisation of how we see the world
    or is it about how we want the world to be?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I wonder what philosophy is
    is it a generalisation of how we see the world
    or is it about how we want the world to be?
    Maybe a bit of each. It's a bit like how people define how they believe their favorite deity to be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I wonder what philosophy is
    is it a generalisation of how we see the world
    or is it about how we want the world to be?
    Neither.
    It's an attempt to understand how the world is.
    And it's far from a "generalisation".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: December 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM
  2. suviving philosophy
    By allenyuang in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
  3. What does philosophy do?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: October 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM
  4. Philosophy Question
    By ProWiNz in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
  5. Thatís philosophy for ya!
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •