Notices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 104
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Muhahaha.

  1. #1 Muhahaha. 
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Taken from another thread, and mooted in that thread as "a topic for another debate".
    Premise: You get evidence for God beyond a shadow of a doubt, absolute empirical proof that God exists.
    Question: Would you give up your free will?
    Additional Premise: What if there is a God AND he does not want us to lose our free will?
    One reply: Then he should have never shown himself to exist, the moment he did, his will overpowered ours.
    (No names).

    My contention:
    The question is meaningless, the additional premise is an oxymoron and the response is, a priori, mistaken.

    I want to see others' thoughts before I lay mine out.
    Go to it guys....


    Last edited by Dywyddyr; February 1st, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    My thoughts are this:
    I think that the word "lose" is spelled with one "o."


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    My thoughts are this:
    I think that the word "lose" is spelled with one "o."
    Well spotted. That's what I get for copy-pasting direct.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    I'm such a nazi...
    My only contention is that the strong belief that God is real is just as effective as not revealing himself through his divinely inspired book of desert scribblings.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    The only thing that would change if a deity suddenly revealed itself to humanity, is I would require an intense hatred of it, for its lack of intervening in wars/genocides/genetic flaws causing disease and death.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    ...and tooth decay.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    And the existence of Piers Morgan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all"
    Niel Tyson
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Taken from another thread, and mooted in that thread as "a topic for another debate".
    Premise: You get evidence for God beyond a shadow of a doubt, absolute empirical proof that God exists.
    Question: Would you give up your free will?
    Additional Premise: What if there is a God AND he does not want us to lose our free will?
    One reply: Then he should have never shown himself to exist, the moment he did, his will overpowered ours.
    (No names).

    My contention:
    The question is meaningless, the additional premise is an oxymoron and the response is, a priori, mistaken.
    This is not fake, this is a real issue. People do think they see evidence of god and wanted god to guide their live, they wanted the SUCCESS that only god knows! (the 'bright' future). -The problem is this: there's no evidence for success, no religious story has been free of conflict & fear. (religious stories often in image of people like Job. Experiencing torture-like experience & sadness)

    "NO! You wouldn't want the burden of past religious figure..." <--correct answer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Fake?
    Methinks you've missed the point here.
    It's nothing whatsoever to do with whether god exists or not (as such) but rather a(n intended) discourse on the existence of god and the existence of free will together.

    "NO! You wouldn't want the burden of past religious figure..." <--correct answer
    How can this be a correct answer when the premise is that god isn't a "past figure" but actually has and still does exist?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    There's a scape goat for everything , isn't there , with God on your side.

    Bob Dylan- With God On Our Side (Lyrics In Description) - YouTube
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Fake?
    Methinks you've missed the point here.
    It's nothing whatsoever to do with whether god exists or not (as such) but rather a(n intended) discourse on the existence of god and the existence of free will together.

    "NO! You wouldn't want the burden of past religious figure..." <--correct answer
    How can this be a correct answer when the premise is that god isn't a "past figure" but actually has and still does exist?
    IMO the premise is not just something abstract about of freewill & god, but also a real dilemma from real experience. In real experience: if you realize that god exist, you will always wanted to consider giving up your freewill to god. The reason you wanted to do this because of nothing other than selfishness (we wanted god to 'put' us to place we 'like to go'. We wanted the edge.). The problem with this thinking is that it doesn't consider the "test" that god can give, and how hard it would be if you compare to having freewill.

    If we take the question in premise literally (religiously), then the answer to "give up freewill?" is "no, I want choice". Because giving yourself up to divine "test" is not something easy.

    Unless...
    we take the question as philosophical, which of course will lead to more discussion about freewill and god.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    Unless...
    we take the question as philosophical, which of course will lead to more discussion about freewill and god.
    If it were intended as a philosophical discussion I'd have posted it in the Philosophy sub-form, and attempted to set up the question as philosophy.
    Oh, wait...
    NMSquirrel and MrMojo1 like this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    If we're going on the assumption that this God is accurately represented in the Bible, I would say no to giving up my free will to him.

    I don't worship primarily because I don't see the point. There is no evidence to suggest a God exists. Furthermore, if a God did exist and he behaved in a greedy and childish manner as depicted in the Bible (demanding to be worshiped and threatening disbelievers with eternal damnation) I would not give up my freedom to him. I have no desire to bend my knee to a tyrant who seeks to exert control over my life. And I don't respond to threats. Eternity in Heaven sounds nice, but not if I have to spend it pretending to be someone I'm not. Frankly, that sounds like Hell.
    shlunka likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    If we're going on the assumption that this God is accurately represented in the Bible,
    (stikeout mine)
    with the exception of the term 'accurately' i can agree with that statement..

    it was after all created by man.
    (inspired by God)
    IOW how can we asses the stories in the bible so that we may determine how much of the story has been influenced by the authors own humanity and intentions? (who used God as an excuse and who is truly trying to communicate who/what God is)
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    If we're going on the assumption that this God is accurately represented in the Bible, I would say no to giving up my free will to him.
    If god exists you don't have a choice.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    If we're going on the assumption that this God is accurately represented in the Bible, I would say no to giving up my free will to him.
    If god exists you don't have a choice.
    We always have a choice.

    Unless you believe there is no free will. And if there is no free will, the original question serves no purpose.

    If you mean that an all powerful being can take free will, then that's fine. What I'm saying is that I won't give it up willingly.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    We always have a choice.

    Unless you believe there is no free will. And if there is no free will, the original question serves no purpose.

    If you mean that an all powerful being can take free will, then that's fine. What I'm saying is that I won't give it up willingly.
    Free Will is normally defined as will outside of physical influence. As such, you can say we do not have free will, but we do have will as the physical factors are indeterminate.
    We have choices even if we have no free will.
    We can make choices simply because we cannot factor in all influences and make accurate predictions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    We always have a choice.
    Um, no we don't (if god exists).
    All we have is the illusion of choice.

    And if there is no free will, the original question serves no purpose.
    I didn't ask a question: The question is meaningless, the additional premise is an oxymoron and the response is, a priori, mistaken.

    If you mean that an all powerful being can take free will, then that's fine. What I'm saying is that I won't give it up willingly.
    If there exists an all powerful all-knowing being then free will cannot exist.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Meh. I was basically just responding to the question of whether or not I would choose to give worship. I didn't read far enough to get to the rest.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Meh. I was basically just responding to the question of whether or not I would choose to give worship.
    If god exists then you don't have that choice.
    Whether you end up giving worship or not, it wouldn't be a choice.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    What I'm saying is that I won't give it up willingly.
    so if he were to tell you to do something (without any threat) would you do it?
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    so if he were to tell you to do something (without any threat) would you do it?
    Depends on what god knows he'll do. Nothing else.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    Depends on what god knows he'll do. Nothing else.
    he would still have the option not to do it..
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    he would still have the option not to do it..
    Nope.
    No options.
    None.
    Zero.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Meh. I was basically just responding to the question of whether or not I would choose to give worship. I didn't read far enough to get to the rest.
    If someone grants you free will, it can no longer be classified as "free will".

    If God, the omnipresent God that creates as per the religious texts if various Abrahamic religions, then it granting you free will does not amount to actual free will. Because what he can give, he can also take away on a whim. If that makes sense?

    The knowledge that there is this "GOD" watching over us and all that we do, and the knowledge that when we die we either go to heaven with God or possibly hell with the devil, then free will cannot exist. Human nature would dictate that we would only act according to what would benefit us the most and it would benefit us to go to heaven and not hell.
    MrMojo1 likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    If God, the omnipresent God that creates as per the religious texts if various Abrahamic religions, then it granting you free will does not amount to actual free will. Because what he can give, he can also take away on a whim. If that makes sense?
    ability does not assume desire.
    he can, but if he created us with the ability to choose for ourself, then why would he want to take it away?


    Human nature would dictate that we would only act according to what would benefit us the most and it would benefit us to go to heaven and not hell.
    Do you always make the desicions that benefit you the most?
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    If God, the omnipresent God that creates as per the religious texts if various Abrahamic religions, then it granting you free will does not amount to actual free will. Because what he can give, he can also take away on a whim. If that makes sense?

    The knowledge that there is this "GOD" watching over us and all that we do, and the knowledge that when we die we either go to heaven with God or possibly hell with the devil, then free will cannot exist. Human nature would dictate that we would only act according to what would benefit us the most and it would benefit us to go to heaven and not hell.
    Even worse: any supposed "free will" granted to us would, in fact, be merely the illusion (belief) of such.
    We have no choices whatsoever.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    he can, but if he created us with the ability to choose for ourself, then why would he want to take it away?
    He can't "grant" it without ceasing being god.
    If we don't have it he can't "take it away".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    so you are arguing that if he did make himself empiracle then we would loose any free will..(since you are saying if he exists then there is no free will..)

    correct?
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    so you are arguing that if he did make himself empiracle then we would loose any free will.
    Um,
    (since you are saying if he exists then there is no free will..)
    If he exists at all then we have no free will.

    Whether we have actual evidence doesn't matter.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Meh. I was basically just responding to the question of whether or not I would choose to give worship.
    If god exists then you don't have that choice.
    Whether you end up giving worship or not, it wouldn't be a choice.
    Yes. I agree.

    As I said in the second part of the answer, if God is all powerful and chooses to override free will, the question is moot.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    As I said in the second part of the answer, if God is all powerful and chooses to override free will, the question is moot.
    You miss the point.
    If god exists there is no free will.
    If god is god then it's not a question of him choosing to over-ride it, his existence denies the possibility.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    66
    If I take your OP premise to be true, then I think such knowledge would put me in a position to make an informed choice. So I might give up my free will if I perceived it to be in my best interest.

    If this god turns out to be of the type that predestines all things, then it is the illusion of free will that I would have to give up. But I suspect that in such a new world, there would continue to be those who worship free will and act as if they really have it. Contrary to evidence.

    Good theme for a scifi story. Now that god is real and everything runs according to his will. Here come the hordes of freewillers out of the mountains, wearing duck bill head dresses, causing trouble.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Woohoo! Getting closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    If this god turns out to be of the type that predestines all things, then it is the illusion of free will that I would have to give up.
    If god is god (omniscient) then "predestination" is a fact (or, probably more accurately, pre-determinism(?)).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    As I said in the second part of the answer, if God is all powerful and chooses to override free will, the question is moot.
    You miss the point.
    If god exists there is no free will.
    If god is god then it's not a question of him choosing to over-ride it, his existence denies the possibility.
    I'd like to know though how his non-existence makes it possible in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus
    But I suspect that in such a new world, there would continue to be those who worship free will and act as if they really have it. Contrary to evidence.
    I don't believe in true free will, yet I am perfectly content with that. I am pretty sure that you can't divorce yourself from the illusion of free will, even when you are sure it doesn't exist. It is just too engrained into the fibre of our being human.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    I'd like to know though how his non-existence makes it possible in the first place.
    Good question. His existence precludes it, that's as far as I've got.
    Let's stick to my topic for now.

    I don't believe in true free will, yet I am perfectly content with that. I am pretty sure that you can't divorce yourself from the illusion of free will, even when you are sure it doesn't exist. It is just too engrained into the fibre of our being human.
    Possibly grinding relentless day after day evidence?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    I'd like to know though how his non-existence makes it possible in the first place.
    Good question. His existence precludes it, that's as far as I've got.
    Let's stick to my topic for now.
    Ok

    So, how does me knowing what you are going to do take away your free will to do it?

    Let's say I kidnap you and, for example, drop you in a forest to be hunted by man-hunters. The most I have done is restrict your free will to within bounds, not taken it away. I would know for a fact that you would be seeking water, food and shelter while being out there.

    The problem you would see, is that in the case of god, for him to know everything, he would have to know the outcome of the particulars of every moment in order to know what would happen from one moment to the next. That would imply that there can only ever be one outcome to any particular scenario. So how could free will exist if every situation flowed into the next with prefect predictability, in principle at least?

    Thing is, it looks like there is such a thing as true randomness in nature. That means that certain events happen at random, which means that one moment can not be predicted precisely from the conditions preceding it, even in principle. That kind of precludes the existence of an omniscient being, doesn't it? Let's put aside some of the other problems with the concept of omniscience for now.

    The term "supernatural" is thrown around with reckless abandon as explanation for any number of naturally impossible conditions. One of these would be that god could still know the outcome of each random event in advance, even when the very definition of "random" precludes such a thing. I call bullshit on that. There is only the natural. Anything outside of the natural is non-existent. "Natural" includes all that which is possible. So, either true randomness exists and omniscience is impossible even in principle, or omniscience is possible in principle and randomness doesn't exist.

    Having said all of that though, the existence of true randomness doesn't suddenly allow for true free will.... Perhaps we can start another thread on that.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Ok
    So, how does me knowing what you are going to do take away your free will to do it?
    Let's say I kidnap you and, for example, drop you in a forest to be hunted by man-hunters. The most I have done is restrict your free will to within bounds, not taken it away. I would know for a fact that you would be seeking water, food and shelter while being out there.
    But you don't know exactly what I'll do. I.e. the knowledge is "broad" (non-specific) and limited. And tentative - I could, for example, kill myself in order to not be captured.

    The problem you would see, is that in the case of god, for him to know everything, he would have to know the outcome of the particulars of every moment in order to know what would happen from one moment to the next. That would imply that there can only ever be one outcome to any particular scenario. So how could free will exist if every situation flowed into the next with prefect predictability, in principle at least?

    Thing is, it looks like there is such a thing as true randomness in nature. That means that certain events happen at random, which means that one moment can not be predicted precisely from the conditions preceding it, even in principle. That kind of precludes the existence of an omniscient being, doesn't it? Let's put aside some of the other problems with the concept of omniscience for now.

    The term "supernatural" is thrown around with reckless abandon as explanation for any number of naturally impossible conditions. One of these would be that god could still know the outcome of each random event in advance, even when the very definition of "random" precludes such a thing. I call bullshit on that. There is only the natural. Anything outside of the natural is non-existent. "Natural" includes all that which is possible. So, either true randomness exists and omniscience is impossible even in principle, or omniscience is possible in principle and randomness doesn't exist.
    Exactly - the existence of choice and/ or randomness logically shows that god is not omniscient, and is therefore, not god (as espoused by Christianity at least).

    If god is god then one of his "attributes" is omniscience - he knows everything. Including what choices you will make.
    Simplest example - will you choose red or green?
    If god knows 1 you will pick red then, regardless of what you may think, you cannot pick green. If you picked green then god would be wrong and, therefore, not omniscient.
    Any foreknowledge (if that foreknowledge is factual) precludes "alternative choices".
    For that knowledge to exist as knowledge means that the outcome is already determined before the choice is presented.

    1 It must be factual to be knowledge.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    I think you guys are thinking too specific..there are many choices we make that doesn't make that much of a difference in the end game..

    if you were omnisient,
    Would you concern yourself with EVERY descision ever made?
    Would you create a race of ppl that couldn't think for themselves? (if you answer this 'yes' and you have been/are a 'boss', then you are a liar.. )
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    I think you guys are thinking too specific..there are many choices we make that doesn't make that much of a difference in the end game.
    It doesn't matter they don't "make much difference" - we don't choose.

    if you were omnisient,
    Would you concern yourself with EVERY descision ever made?
    If he watches every sparrow fall doesn't that show a eye for detail?Regardless, whether he's concerned or not doesn't affect him knowing.
    Psalm 139:4


    Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
    Would you create a race of ppl that couldn't think for themselves?
    Who knows how god gets his jollies?
    (if you answer this 'yes' and you have been/are a 'boss', then you are a liar.. )
    Really? You think if I were perfect and infallible 1 as a boss I'd actually want idoits trying to second-guess me and argue? Inserting their own opinions and fouling up my plans?

    1 The "if" in this case is hypothetical - I actually am.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    I think you guys are thinking too specific..there are many choices we make that doesn't make that much of a difference in the end game.
    It doesn't matter they don't "make much difference" - we don't choose.
    really? You chose to answer my post..

    if you were omnisient,
    Would you concern yourself with EVERY descision ever made?
    If he watches every sparrow fall doesn't that show a eye for detail?Regardless, whether he's concerned or not doesn't affect him knowing.
    Psalm 139:4
    Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.


    really? quoteing bible as evidence?
    im suprised at you Dyw..
    Would you create a race of ppl that couldn't think for themselves?
    Who knows how god gets his jollies?
    i sure he does have a sense of humor..

    (if you answer this 'yes' and you have been/are a 'boss', then you are a liar.. )
    Really? You think if I were perfect and infallible 1 as a boss I'd actually want idoits trying to second-guess me and argue? Inserting their own opinions and fouling up my plans?
    I would think you would not want your employee's to have to ask you what to do in ALL situations..you would want them to think for themselves with ALOT of things otherwise you would be too busy directing their actions and not doing your own job. (do it like this, not that)

    If you were to hire me, i would be like that for awhile until i get my bearings in the job. (do as your told) i would ask so many questions you would think me a dummy and would consider firing me because you would think me incapable of doing things without being told..



    1 The "if" in this case is hypothetical - I actually am.
    so was i..
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post

    Really? You think if I were perfect and infallible 1 as a boss I'd actually want idoits trying to second-guess me and argue? Inserting their own opinions and fouling up my plans?

    1 The "if" in this case is hypothetical - I actually am.
    The evidence indicates otherwise. See posts #2 and #3 of this thread for further confirmation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSquirrel View Post
    really? You chose to answer my post.
    Did actually choose or was it inevitable that I'd reply?

    really? quoteing bible as evidence?
    It does tend to be regarded as source on the attributes of god.

    im suprised at you Dyw.
    "Even the devil..."


    I would think you would not want your employee's to have to ask you what to do in ALL situations..you would want them to think for themselves with ALOT of things otherwise you would be too busy directing their actions and not doing your own job. (do it like this, not that)
    But if I predetermined correctly then they'd do things properly.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    The evidence indicates otherwise. See posts #2 and #3 of this thread for further confirmation.
    Posts 2 and 3 show that other people make mistakes. And sometimes I copy them.
    That's what comes of giving people "free will". IOW if I'd done it (created people) they'd be incapable of spelling mistakes.

    And "idoit" was actually deliberate - an homage to a poster and regular usage on the (other) science forum. Likewise (although I haven't used them yet) sceince and seance....
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    The evidence indicates otherwise. See posts #2 and #3 of this thread for further confirmation.
    Posts 2 and 3 show that other people make mistakes. And sometimes I copy them.
    That's what comes of giving people "free will". IOW if I'd done it (created people) they'd be incapable of spelling mistakes.

    And "idoit" was actually deliberate - an homage to a poster and regular usage on the (other) science forum. Likewise (although I haven't used them yet) sceince and seance....
    You are very adroit.

    Rather hilarious as well. You even made the dog smile.

    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    but the opposite of free will is consequence,that would either change/stop you from what you want to do; or let's you go on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    but the opposite of free will is consequence
    Huh?
    There's always a "consequence", free will or not.

    that would either change/stop you from what you want to do; or let's you go on.
    All you're saying here (essentially) is that we more can predict, accurately, the outcome of a choice, the more constrained that choice becomes (Assuming you're looking for a "particular" outcome).
    This argument leads, in the end, to demonstrating that not even god has "free will".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    that depends on how you picture god, can you destroy the universe even if you want to? and yes there's always free will, but the consequence will either alter or change or let you continue go on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    and yes there's always free will
    That appears to be an unsupported assumption.
    Got anything other than the claim to back it up?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    are you saying you're forced by someoe/something 24/7 telling you what to do/think/eat/drink/work when to sleep? how do you think you have no free will?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Premise: You get evidence for God beyond a shadow of a doubt, absolute empirical proof that God exists.
    I've already decided the likelihood of hallucinating God or make-believing God exceeds the probability of God. I'd judge myself crazy. Extraordinary evidence requires extraordinary medication. Or, ultimately, lobotomy to make it stop.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    are you saying you're forced by someoe/something 24/7 telling you what to do/think/eat/drink/work when to sleep?
    There's no coercion involved.

    how do you think you have no free will?
    If you read the posts it's fully explained.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    I've already decided the likelihood of hallucinating God or make-believing God exceeds the probability of God. I'd judge myself crazy. Extraordinary evidence requires extraordinary medication. Or, ultimately, lobotomy to make it stop.
    This thread takes as its premise that the "extraordinary evidence" is not only available but blindingly obvious.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Going back to the OP, the mere existence of an agent (deistic one) doesn't negate free will, it wouldn't necessitate other beings worshiping it, nor would it force anyone to make changes to their behavior. You need to define this agent further other than Omniscient. It is possible (for the sake of this argument) to know all possible cause/effect outcomes, and then recalculate new outcomes when decisions are made. This hypothetical process would refute "fate" while still supporting free will.

    Perhaps there is no free will, but a long series of cause/effect/cause/effect reactions within a confided space. As far as what decisions matter, well they all do. Assuming that there is process, where all decisions are being tabulated where the resulting sum is used in an evaluation, can only be honestly defined as an act of speculation.

    If you further define this agent as the christian god, then the point of its will being overpowering is unsupported. Within the christian ideology the satan and others appear to choose to not to adhere to its policies. Within many of the stories of the old testament people are regularly punished for going against this god's will.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Going back to the OP, the mere existence of an agent (deistic one) doesn't negate free will
    Because...?

    it wouldn't necessitate other beings worshiping it, nor would it force anyone to make changes to their behavior.
    That wasn't my contention.

    You need to define this agent further other than Omniscient. It is possible (for the sake of this argument) to know all possible cause/effect outcomes, and then recalculate new outcomes when decisions are made.
    Then it wouldn't omniscient - since there'd be things that it wouldn't know until it did the calculation.

    If you further define this agent as the christian god, then the point of its will being overpowering is unsupported.
    Huh? Where did I say that?

    Within the christian ideology the satan and others appear to choose to not to adhere to its policies. Within many of the stories of the old testament people are regularly punished for going against this god's will.
    IOW the bible is wrong about god - the claims made are not self-consistent.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Rather hilarious as well. You even made the dog smile.
    It got a smile out of the idoit from post number 2, as well...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Going back to the OP, the mere existence of an agent (deistic one) doesn't negate free will
    Because...?
    Existence alone affects nothing, but the agent itself and how the agent directly interacts. For example: If this agent predicatively appears at multiple locations simultaneously and it doesn't impede on human behavior, then we have acknowledged existence with no dictates. This agent would have as much as an effect on human existence as a volcano does on person who has never seen one. Yes, there may be rational and irrational responses from an encounter with something exotically new.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    You need to define this agent further other than Omniscient. It is possible (for the sake of this argument) to know all possible cause/effect outcomes, and then recalculate new outcomes when decisions are made.
    Then it wouldn't omniscient - since there'd be things that it wouldn't know until it did the calculation.
    We are arguing then about when then, this is the distinction between inherent omniscience and total omniscience. Knowing all possible outcomes within a restriction still wouldn't violate free will, the restrictions may though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    If you further define this agent as the christian god, then the point of its will being overpowering is unsupported.
    Huh? Where did I say that?
    You didn't. The thread went in that direction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Within the christian ideology the satan and others appear to choose to not to adhere to its policies. Within many of the stories of the old testament people are regularly punished for going against this god's will.
    IOW the bible is wrong about god - the claims made are not self-consistent.
    Agreed, that god definition is incoherent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Existence alone affects nothing, but the agent itself and how the agent directly interacts. For example: If this agent predicatively appears at multiple locations simultaneously and it doesn't impede on human behavior, then we have acknowledged existence with no dictates. This agent would have as much as an effect on human existence as a volcano does on person who has never seen one. Yes, there may be rational and irrational responses from an encounter with something exotically new.
    On the contrary if god knows what you will choose before you "choose" then you cannot choose. There is no option other than to pick what god knows you will pick. Otherwise god would be wrong - and thus not omniscient.
    Omniscience, by its very existence, precludes choice.
    Omniscience can only be possible if everything (including the future) is fixed.
    If god IS omniscient then we have no free will, we're simply actors following a script that we haven't read.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    I disagree. If there are limitations to what a being can do, then you have reduced outcomes to a finite amount. The outcomes could be an excessively dense decision tree model.

    Free will argument is negated when there is consequence other than what the decision directly leads to.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    I disagree. If there are limitations to what a being can do, then you have reduced outcomes to a finite amount. The outcomes could be an excessively dense decision tree model.

    Free will argument is negated when there is consequence other than what the decision directly leads to.
    Sorry I have no idea what you mean.

    If god knows (infallibly) what you will choose can you "choose" otherwise?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Let's not use god, it is a loaded noun. The agent/s are aware of all possible outcomes of a being existing in a restricted space, it doesn't prevent the being from choices within the restricted space. Let's say the choices are restricted by entropy, then some predictability could be calculated. Knowledge wouldn't prevent the matter/being from behaving within its limitations.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Let's not use god, it is a loaded noun.
    Since "god" and his (claimed) attributes are the raison d'etre for the thread...

    The agent/s are aware of all possible outcomes of a being existing in a restricted space, it doesn't prevent the being from choices within the restricted space. Let's say the choices are restricted by entropy, then some predictability could be calculated. Knowledge wouldn't prevent the matter/being from behaving within its limitations.
    But knowing "all possible outcomes" is NOT omniscience, since you can only say "the result will be this, or this or this" - even if you assign (accurately) probabilities to each possible outcome you don't know which one will happen. Omniscience means knowing (exactly) what the actual, final result will be.
    But, to extend your argument further, the fewer the choices (due to whatever restrictions) then the lesser the "free will".
    Given perfect knowledge of the future (if such a thing were possible) then, by that reasoning, there can only be one outcome to any "choice" - and hence zero free will.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    So if beings exist in a universe where the final result will be heat death, there is no free will?


    To take it a step further: If I know you will die eventually, does that mean I've taken away your free will?


    Last Update: The christian god negates free will due to its attempts of coercion. It offers a reward/punishment as final consequence of all actions.
    Last edited by MrMojo1; February 19th, 2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: completed thought
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    So if beings exist in a universe where the final result will be heat death, there is no free will?
    To take it a step further: If I know you will die eventually, does that mean I've taken away your free will?
    Not the same at all, since neither of those dictate anything other than a final singular "result".
    Neither has any bearing on which colour shirt you chose to wear today.

    Last Update: The christian god negates free will due to its attempts of coercion. It offers a reward/punishment as final consequence of all actions.
    Yet, given the claim that god's knowledge is perfect - any actions we take have been pre-determined since the creation, the punishment isn't for "choices" or actions made it's because that's the way it had to be 1.

    1 Given that god, too, is stuck as an actor (and hence is NOT all-powerful - he has no choice either).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    So if beings exist in a universe where the final result will be heat death, there is no free will?
    To take it a step further: If I know you will die eventually, does that mean I've taken away your free will?
    Not the same at all, since neither of those dictate anything other than a final singular "result".
    Neither has any bearing on which colour shirt you chose to wear today.
    I was questioning in the context of your definition in the previous post.
    Omniscience means knowing (exactly) what the actual, final result will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Yet, given the claim that god's knowledge is perfect - any actions we take have been pre-determined since the creation, the punishment isn't for "choices" or actions made it's because that's the way it had to be 1.
    I always thought that related to the common christian claim of there being a plan and it was god's plan how events unfolded. So that would make the christian god an architect with the the ability of all knowledge, which does negate the free will claim as well.

    I still disagree that having all knowledge alone violates free will.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    I was questioning in the context of your definition in the previous post.
    Omniscience means knowing (exactly) what the actual, final result will be.
    of ANY and ALL "choices", not "final result" as in "at the end of everything".
    My bad, I thought was implicit.

    I still disagree that having all knowledge alone violates free will.
    Okay, if, given a choice of "red or green" and (unknown to you) god (or anyone else) knows that you will pick red do you actually have a choice?
    How can you pick anything other than red?
    If you can't then the "choice" was a choice in name only since you cannot pick anything else regardless of your beliefs beforehand.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Okay, if, given a choice of "red or green" and (unknown to you) god (or anyone else) knows that you will pick red do you actually have a choice?

    How can you pick anything other than red?
    If you can't then the "choice" was a choice in name only since you cannot pick anything else regardless of your beliefs beforehand.
    Agreed, in this context there is no choice.

    My point was that knowing all the subsequent cause/effect/cause/effect from either red or green choices doesn't necessitate the choices are not being freely decided upon. Again this is in the context of a deistic agent which is not a creator, but has knowledge of all possible outcomes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Again, knowing "all possible outcomes" isn't a facet of omniscience.
    We (you and I, and anyone who else who looks at the question) know all possible outcomes of the choice "red or green" (by definition), but we don't know the one that WILL be chosen.

    Again: if god knows that you will pick red can you pick green? No.
    Ergo that knowledge, in and of itself, constrains the choice (makes it NOT a choice) because knowing means that the "choice" is pre-ordained/ pre-destined/ pre-determined.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    I understand your point. So if the agent has infallible foreknowledge there is no free will.

    If the agent exists only in the present time, truths are defined as events which have occurred, and the agents only knows truths (doesn't know falsehoods), then this agent doesn't have foreknowledge (The Aristotelian solution). In this constraint free will could exist for omniscience only applies to what is presently true.

    It is open to the defender of this solution to maintain that God has no beliefs about the contingent future because he does not infallibly know how it will turn out, and this is compatible with God's being infallible in everything he does believe. It is also compatible with God's omniscience if omniscience is the property of knowing the truth value of every proposition that has a truth value. But clearly, this move restricts the range of God's knowledge, so it has religious disadvantages in addition to its disadvantages in logic.
    Of course this isn't a position a christian would support.

    Free will and Foreknowledge
    Omniscience
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Forum Freshman ladydreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    I, most definatly, would not give up my free will. The question, in my opinion, is pointless. I don't know anyone who would. If, and that's a big if, there was a god(s) to present themselves, i doubt anyone would be happy about it. I mean the havent trie to help us one bit. Hello, there is still cancer, war, and other afflictions affecting us. I certainly would not give up my free will to someone (something?) that hasn't lifted a finger to help this world.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    I understand your point. So if the agent has infallible foreknowledge there is no free will.
    Yup.

    If the agent exists only in the present time, truths are defined as events which have occurred, and the agents only knows truths (doesn't know falsehoods), then this agent doesn't have foreknowledge (The Aristotelian solution). In this constraint free will could exist for omniscience only applies to what is presently true.
    Of course this isn't a position a christian would support.
    Yeah, that could work, but, like you say, it contradicts the Christian claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladydreamer View Post
    I, most definatly, would not give up my free will.
    If god exists you don't have free will.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    if i say, tomorrow i'll place a healthy carrot and a piece of chocolate in front of a 5 yr old child then predict the child will choose the chocolate; did i take away the free will of the child?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    if i say, tomorrow i'll place a healthy carrot and a piece of chocolate in front of a 5 yr old child then predict the child will choose the chocolate; did i take away the free will of the child?
    There is something about chocolate that does away with the concept of free will...at least for many...
    MrMojo1, Ascended and Dywyddyr like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Nut Hunter.. NMSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Four Corners area
    Posts
    441
    mmmm..chocolate..
    The term 'Free' in Free thinking, does not imply control....
    Intelligence is being able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    God is not inside the box.
    http://squirrels-nest.proboards.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    but you get what i mean? i didn't take away the childs free will to choose, it's just that, based on my knowledge that i'll know what it will choose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    but you get what i mean? i didn't take away the childs free will to choose, it's just that, based on my knowledge that i'll know what it will choose.
    Hmmm...I might well have selected the carrot for I learned early on that when one selects the desired response, one is frequently 'rewarded'. My hypothesis (even at the age of 5) would have been to select the carrot and very likely be given the chocolate for 'dessert'.

    Younger than 4 and I doubt I would have reasoned it through, lol. I was a precocious child.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    ok, so if your mom did that experiment on you, she would have said that you would have picked the carrot, based on her knowledge about you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    ok, so if your mom did that experiment on you, she would have said that you would have picked the carrot, based on her knowledge about you.
    LOL, good response. Makes you wonder just who is influencing whom or whether there exists any options at all, does it not? If everything is simply cause and effect, what is the effect of any illusion of choice? The interval outcome may 'look' different and 'feel' different because we assume that we exercised our franchise of 'option', but sometimes I ponder on what determines the available options at any given point in time. Sometimes, we have a plethora of options apparent, while other times, it is the proverbial 'between a rock and a hard place'.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    i don't know, i'm just sharing my opinion about god being omniscience without interfering with free will.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    if i say, tomorrow i'll place a healthy carrot and a piece of chocolate in front of a 5 yr old child then predict the child will choose the chocolate; did i take away the free will of the child?
    Tut, naughty you.
    You're pre-supposing that there is free will - otherwise it couldn't be taken away.
    But: the simple answer is that you don't know (as an absolute fact) that the child will take the chocolate. You'd be surprised if he/ she took the carrot, but it's not impossible.

    OTOH, if (a big if) each and every child, unfailingly took chocolate each and every time time would that not indicate that there are responses at work that did in fact preclude the choice of carrot? I'm talking about physiological ones - not "supernatural" - i.e. children are "programmed" to select chocolate. Still no free will.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    as sheherazade posted, she would have gone for the carrot. but since her mother raised her, she would know that; since she raised her. so sheherazade would go against common knowledge that a child would always go for the chocolate but it wouldn't surprise her moter, since the mother knows her child.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    as sheherazade posted, she would have gone for the carrot. but since her mother raised her, she would know that; since she raised her. so sheherazade would go against common knowledge that a child would always go for the chocolate but it wouldn't surprise her moter, since the mother knows her child.
    LOL...why settle for mere choices when you can have it all just by getting in the 'game'?

    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    We always have a choice.
    Um, no we don't (if god exists).All we have is the illusion of choice.
    I don't see how that follow at all. Why couldn't God create beings with free will. Frankly, I'd think creating beings with free will would be much more interesting than a universe of automatons. What would be the point of that?
    If there exists an all powerful all-knowing being then free will cannot exist.
    Again, why not? He's all powerful yet can not create beings with free will? I suppose you might be hanging your hat on the "all knowing" bit since choice introduces a certain level of unpredictability, but I don't think that's necessarily the case unless one insists on a very specific and literal interpretation of omniscience.Clearly if God had the capacity to know and understand everything that was happening at any point in time, he could make some very accurate predictions about what was going to happen in the future. He'd be omniscient in that he would know all that was and in that he'd have a very good idea of how things were going to turn out. What he wouldn't know would be the little details. He wouldn't know for sure exactly what each individual was going to do at any given time. .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Because of the definition of what free will is.

    Free Will is a will that is indeterminate and free from physical constraints. It is will that is free from outside direction.
    An omniscient being would be able to predict, therefor thwart our will by knowing our will before we make any choice. Our will would then not be Free. Even if he chose to not thwart or interfere, the will itself would still not qualify as free because he could know it before we make a choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by madanthonywayne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    We always have a choice.
    Um, no we don't (if god exists).All we have is the illusion of choice.
    I don't see how that follow at all. Why couldn't God create beings with free will. Frankly, I'd think creating beings with free will would be much more interesting than a universe of automatons. What would be the point of that?
    If there exists an all powerful all-knowing being then free will cannot exist.
    Again, why not? He's all powerful yet can not create beings with free will? I suppose you might be hanging your hat on the "all knowing" bit since choice introduces a certain level of unpredictability, but I don't think that's necessarily the case unless one insists on a very specific and literal interpretation of omniscience.Clearly if God had the capacity to know and understand everything that was happening at any point in time, he could make some very accurate predictions about what was going to happen in the future. He'd be omniscient in that he would know all that was and in that he'd have a very good idea of how things were going to turn out. What he wouldn't know would be the little details. He wouldn't know for sure exactly what each individual was going to do at any given time. .
    Well Dywyddyr's idea seems to be correct here, if god does indeed truely exists then on some level he must excert some amount of control, which means less control for us. When we look at the world or at the way life works do we see God or do we the randomness of chance? Is one right and the other wrong? Is one hiding the reality of the other?
    I suppose we could ask if God exists if he could know our future, in some way predict what may happen, but couldn't we equally ask if God exists then could God have made of us a puzzle, an enigma if you like, that perhaps even he can't totally understand or predict. But then this all comes down to supposition of whether there even is a God. Perhaps we could just instead consider the actual importance of 'life' within the universe rather than a concept of God, we can look across the cosmos at vast distances stretching across billions of years and as yet we are still to see anything as wonderous as the life we find here on earth, how special and important does this life seem when considering everything else.
    The choices and actions that we make as human beings don't fit neatly into ways that can be explained by universal laws or principles, we are so much more and much much more complex and perhaps with an ultimate destiny that as yet nobody can predict.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  87. #86  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    well, the question was, if god exists is there free will? my personal opinion about god is different from how the thread starter sees it, but that wasn't the question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  88. #87  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well Dywyddyr's idea seems to be correct here, if god does indeed truely exists then on some level he must excert some amount of control, which means less control for us.
    It's nothing to do with "control".

    but couldn't we equally ask if God exists then could God have made of us a puzzle, an enigma if you like, that perhaps even he can't totally understand or predict.
    No, he couldn't.
    God's knowledge is declared to be "perfect" (Job something or other) - in other words complete. There must, in order for his knowledge be perfect, be nothing that he doesn't already know: ergo no mysteries, no puzzles, no new knowledge for him.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  89. #88  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well Dywyddyr's idea seems to be correct here, if god does indeed truely exists then on some level he must excert some amount of control, which means less control for us.
    It's nothing to do with "control".

    Ok


    but couldn't we equally ask if God exists then could God have made of us a puzzle, an enigma if you like, that perhaps even he can't totally understand or predict.
    No, he couldn't.
    God's knowledge is declared to be "perfect" (Job something or other) - in other words complete. There must, in order for his knowledge be perfect, be nothing that he doesn't already know: ergo no mysteries, no puzzles, no new knowledge for him.
    I think I would challenge this on the basis that God cannot have perfect knowledge if he doesn't know how to create an unsolveable puzzle, if he doesn't know then his knowledge simply can't be perfect so your assertion seems to be based on flawed logic.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  90. #89  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think I would challenge this on the basis that God cannot have perfect knowledge if he doesn't know how to create an unsolveable puzzle
    Oh yeah the old, can he create a stone that he can't lift "problem".

    if he doesn't know then his knowledge simply can't be perfect so your assertion seems to be based on flawed logic.
    And again, if he CAN create a puzzle that he can't solve then his knowledge isn't perfect. (Because he doesn't know how to solve it).

    I.e. the question itself is logically incoherent and unanswerable.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  91. #90  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    It's nothing to do with "control".
    Ok
    Oops, I missed this.
    I explained it earlier, in post #68 - if the result of a "choice" is known beforehand that is only possible if the future is fixed - i.e. it's not due to "control" so much as that everything is pre-determined, we're on a limited, fixed path. Actors following an unknown script.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  92. #91  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think I would challenge this on the basis that God cannot have perfect knowledge if he doesn't know how to create an unsolveable puzzle
    Oh yeah the old, can he create a stone that he can't lift "problem".

    if he doesn't know then his knowledge simply can't be perfect so your assertion seems to be based on flawed logic.
    And again, if he CAN create a puzzle that he can't solve then his knowledge isn't perfect. (Because he doesn't know how to solve it).

    I.e. the question itself is logically incoherent and unanswerable.

    Yes I agree the answer is unknowable, but I was pondering this issue of the unanswerable question, given that many aspects about the concept of God also seem unknowable, but you said "No, he couldn't." giving a definite answer to what is the unanswerable question I asked, so seems your answer is based on flawed logic.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  93. #92  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yes I agree the answer is unknowable, but I was pondering this issue of the unanswerable question, given that many aspects about the concept of God also seem unknowable, but you said "No, he couldn't." giving a definite answer to what is the unanswerable question I asked, so seems your answer is based on flawed logic.
    Er, it's the bible that says he knows what we're going to do. (IOW his knowledge means we're not a puzzle to him).
    There's a number of times where it specifically states that god knows the future, names someone who will be born in a couple of hundred years time and declares that he "knows our lives" even before we're born.

    Yeah maybe I should have said "maybe he could have, but he didn't", but I read your "could he" as "is it possible that he did", rather than "is it at all possible that (if he started again) he could make us a puzzle to him?"
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  94. #93  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,418
    Ok then if we are speculating, using the bible, that we, as humans, are not testing the limits of Gods power does that then open up the possibility of further or future creations that are more important than us?, this seemingly contradictory to the idea of all powerful God that favours us above all others, also might it call into question concepts of self determination if we are always within Gods power, to this I mean if we go against Gods will?
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  95. #94  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ok then if we are speculating, using the bible, that we, as humans, are not testing the limits of Gods power does that then open up the possibility of further or future creations that are more important than us?, this seemingly contradictory to the idea of all powerful God that favours us above all others, also might it call into question concepts of self determination if we are always within Gods power, to this I mean if we go against Gods will?
    If god exists and is omniscient then we have no self-determination: it's all been pre-plotted from the start.
    The only way that god (or anyone) can know the future is if it's fixed.
    It's been pre-written and it's impossible to deviate.
    God can't even change his own mind.
    (And, in fact, he didn't have the "choice" to set it off in the first place - perfect knowledge left him with no choice in the matter).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  96. #95  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ok then if we are speculating, using the bible, that we, as humans, are not testing the limits of Gods power does that then open up the possibility of further or future creations that are more important than us?, this seemingly contradictory to the idea of all powerful God that favours us above all others, also might it call into question concepts of self determination if we are always within Gods power, to this I mean if we go against Gods will?
    If god exists and is omniscient then we have no self-determination: it's all been pre-plotted from the start.
    The only way that god (or anyone) can know the future is if it's fixed.
    It's been pre-written and it's impossible to deviate.
    God can't even change his own mind.
    (And, in fact, he didn't have the "choice" to set it off in the first place - perfect knowledge left him with no choice in the matter).
    What a strange concept.

    An omniscient god, yet the very acknowledgement of omniscience renders said god impotent to act.

    Certainly no reason to pay homage then, or request divine intervention...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  97. #96  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    what if he can't interfere?
    like you have build a system and started running it. then you see a flaw or something whatever, but for it to be fixed, you'd have to turn off the power. in other words, god would have to halt/pause the universe, which wouldn't be a good idea probably.

    i mean, he didn't stop satan when, according to his power he could have before even satan knew he would rebel against him; but maybe because him interfering would mean the end of our universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  98. #97  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,785
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    An omniscient god, yet the very acknowledgement of omniscience renders said god impotent to act.
    Yep. That's what happens when you get a bunch of writers with their own ideas on what should go in the book - no internal consistency.

    Quote Originally Posted by curious mind View Post
    what if he can't interfere?
    like you have build a system and started running it. then you see a flaw or something whatever, but for it to be fixed, you'd have to turn off the power. in other words, god would have to halt/pause the universe, which wouldn't be a good idea probably.
    i mean, he didn't stop satan when, according to his power he could have before even satan knew he would rebel against him; but maybe because him interfering would mean the end of our universe.
    Presumably, since his knowledge is perfect and therefore the "plan" is perfect, the way things are happening is the only way to get the end result he wants. Satan is/was part of the plan, as are all the wars and suffering we go through.
    But I can tell you now that the end result is NOT certain people in Heaven and others in Hell - there's a far simpler and easier way to achieve that.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  99. #98  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    897
    then the end result can only have 3 outcomes.

    1.we realize how insignificant we are and need a whole different system to ensure our future survival(i don't see that happen on a large scale).
    2.we continue acting like we're little mini-gods and dwell on in our mini-superiority(sounds like a plan)
    3.it doesn't matter whether we do 1 or 2, because us surviving or destroying each other means zip to anyone but us.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  100. #99  
    Forum Freshman ladydreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    If I don't have free will, then I'm a duck. If there was a "God", I'm pretty sure I would have been hit by a truck or something for all the stupid crap I've done.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  101. #100  
    Forum Freshman ladydreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    “I wear the chain I forged in life....I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.”
    Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •