Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: Are we trapped in the laws of physics forever?

  1. #1 Are we trapped in the laws of physics forever? 
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    I assume we can all agree that the laws of physics does not prevent our existence. We know we are not an impossibility. Iím certain there are no hard evidence yet presented to the contrary?

    Do we know of a law of physics that prevents us from existing again, and again, and again? If not, then is the default position to assume (with the knowledge that we are not an impossibility) that there is no such law until we can prove otherwise?

    I keep getting that bad feeling weíve been around forever!

    Pedro.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    You can believe whatever you want. It doesn't mean there is any good reason to believe it. Your bad feeling does not constitute any sort of evidence.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Aye, believing is not evidence, I agree. But the evidence I presented is that we are not an impossibility within the laws of physics. But of course, that’s not enough evidence to prove we have existed before, or will exist again in whatever shape/form that could be. But isn’t it a reference point?

    Basically I’m just trying to get my head around the fact that I so happen to be experiencing my very own short existence within this very present timeline of the universe. It’s very strange. I mean, surly I should have already have died millions of years ago or have yet to be? I won’t say I believe we’ve existed an infinitive amount of times before, but such a hypothesis could explain, not just our existence, but explain why we are existing within the present timeline.

    Anyway, I know I’m not bringing anything new to the table, so I’ll keep pondering on and keep taking the pills...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    Aye, believing is not evidence, I agree. It’s very strange. I won’t say I believe we’ve existed an infinitive amount of times before, but such a hypothesis could explain, not just our existence, but explain why we are existing within the present timeline.

    Anyway, I know I’m not bringing anything new to the table, so I’ll keep pondering on and keep taking the pills...
    Is that "infinitive" as in "split infinitive".
    One plump pedant used to pull me up about this years ago!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Ah yes,that would have to be my dyslexia letting me down again. ‘Infinite’, of course.Thanks for flagging! J
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    Aye, believing is not evidence, I agree. But the evidence I presented is that we are not an impossibility within the laws of physics. But of course, that’s not enough evidence to prove we have existed before, or will exist again in whatever shape/form that could be. But isn’t it a reference point?

    You presented no evidence at all, just a rambling statement of your "bad feeling"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    Basically I’m just trying to get my head around the fact that I so happen to be experiencing my very own short existence within this very present timeline of the universe.
    That is because you are here now. Why is that strange?

    I mean, surly I should have already have died millions of years ago or have yet to be?
    In which case you would have experienced / will experience things then. (Hmmm... no easy way to express a conditional future tense in English...)
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    I mean, surly I should have already have died millions of years ago or have yet to be?
    The time for supernovae to generate Population 1 stars with sufficient metallicity to be accompanied by planets, coupled with the time required for complexity to build to technical intelligences virtually requires that you exist round about now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    I guess the original question I wanted to throw out was this -

    If thereís no law in physics to prevent my existence then can we :

    1) assume thereís no law in physics to prevent me existing again (until we have evidence)?


    2) assume there is a law that prevents me from existing again (until we have evidence)?


    Ta.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapples View Post
    I guess the original question I wanted to throw out was this -

    If there’s no law in physics to prevent my existence then can we :

    1) assume there’s no law in physics to prevent me existing again (until we have evidence)?


    2) assume there is a law that prevents me from existing again (until we have evidence)?


    Ta.
    It's idle speculation. Ask something that has a scientific answer and maybe we can help.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    I have no idea what do you mean by existing "again"? Reincarnation into another body, a star trek/groundhog day time loop, big-crush-big-rebang new earth?

    Sidenote: There's no laws of physics that says if I count to 3 and jump off an airplane I cant fall right on top of an air balloon by accident and be ok, but theres something else thats says It might not happen, probability, and if it ever happens that someone falls right on an air balloon by chance it might not be me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24
    Are we trapped in the Laws of Physics forever?

    Yes. We will forever be trapped within the Laws of Physics. Even if a Law is completely changed some random how, then new Law will still fall in the category of Physics.
    And i don't think reincarnation falls in the realm of Physics, i think it falls in the realm of Trips and Pot and some Religions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior pineapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ireland someplace
    Posts
    363
    Thanks Folks. I’ve read the replies. Clearly I should have done more homework on the subject and threw in some evidence for some constructive feedback. Like the moderator said, it’s all just ‘idle speculation’. I actually had to look up the difference between Philosophy and Speculation to see his point!

    But to respond to the last 2 reply’s anyway (from StukInaaroc and icewendigo):
    I didn’t want to use the term ‘Reincarnation’ because that implies when you die you come back again as another human (or lower creature like a slug), on this Earth, depending on how good or bad a person/slug you were! Well, that’s my understanding of what ‘Reincarnation’ is defined as. With that definition, I have no reason to believe in ‘Reincarnation’.

    What I meant by ‘Existing again’ – When my brain dies, my self-awareness/ consciousness ceases to exist. What my atoms do after that is beyond me. Giving enough time though (an infinite amount just to cover it), my atoms, or other similar atoms could assemble to switch my consciousness back on again if the required conditions are repeated. I don’t know what creature I’d be, or what star trek/groundhog day time loop thingy that would be required etc. What I do know is, my consciousness is not impossible in the realms of physics. It’s that self evident observation that has had be thinking on wither my consciousness is a common occurrence in the realm of physics or just a once off.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Your proposition is clearer now. What you say might actually be possible, but it would require an eternal universe that did not evolve. This one does and one day the stars will all die. For that reason I think your idea would not be possible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    5
    As everything in this universe is energy, your 'soul', if that is what you are meaning? will re-emerge as transfered energy to some other type of energy. Possibly consumed and reconsumed thousands of times over to create energy in a different form.

    To re-assemble your consciousness would be impossible I believe as your energy would be too dispersed within the universe to ever recollect. Though pieces of your consciousness will combine with other pieces of someone elses consciousness to create a type of energy that we can only speculate.

    This is the inheritant nature of the universe as it is. Particles joining together to make a different compound.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Question about the laws of physics
    By Raymond K in forum Physics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM
  2. Big bang and the laws of physics
    By bradford28 in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM
  3. The Laws of Physics
    By Golkarian in forum Physics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: October 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
  4. Laws of Physics
    By Terry Arceneaux in forum Physics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM
  5. Non-invariant laws in Physics
    By martillo in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •