Notices
Results 1 to 33 of 33
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By i_feel_tiredsleepy

Thread: Eventually, everything will become boring

  1. #1 Eventually, everything will become boring 
    Forum Freshman Patrick_94's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9
    So consider this. You die, and when you come to you realise that Heaven is real! Saint Peter lets you in the golden gates, and you can do pretty much whatever you like. Anything is possible - you can essentially do anything. But eventually, after eating your 1,000,000th ice cream without destroying your perfect body, you realise that this is getting boring, and there must only be a finite amount of things to do, and that existence is perpetual. You eventually go mad with boredom.

    The one way I think that's around this is to mind wipe most of your experiences to relive what you already did without any feeling of 'I did this before'. And no matter what afterlife you believe in, the 'everything will become boring' dogma is still there


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    482
    Not one of the more popular arguments against the monotheistic afterlife, but one i've also thought about.


    The mark of a moderate man is freedom from his own ideas - Tao Te Ching

    Fancy a game of chess?
    http://www.itsyourturn.com/
    Challenge me, Delphi, and join the Pythian games.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    And if the Christians are right about what it takes to get up there, you can just imagine how boring the company will be.
    Flick Montana and babe like this.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Eventually, everything will become boring 
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    The OP describes mostly urban legends (ie, they're not biblical).[/list]
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Re: Eventually, everything will become boring 
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_94
    So consider this. You die, and when you come to you realise that Heaven is real! Saint Peter lets you in the golden gates, and you can do pretty much whatever you like. Anything is possible - you can essentially do anything. But eventually, after eating your 1,000,000th ice cream without destroying your perfect body, you realise that this is getting boring, and there must only be a finite amount of things to do, and that existence is perpetual. You eventually go mad with boredom.

    The one way I think that's around this is to mind wipe most of your experiences to relive what you already did without any feeling of 'I did this before'. And no matter what afterlife you believe in, the 'everything will become boring' dogma is still there
    What if heaven isn't the dogmatic picture portrayed in texts, instead a place of seemingly infinite wisdom to be learn then it'll never be boring will it. Of course the eternal joy, no suffering or death quote will still be there.
    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___Because there is a limit to what can be done, thought of or to become or be, boredom is close to the final state of existence.
    ___Following that state is stagnation, insanity and then death or a state comparable to nonexistence.
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    ___Because there is a limit to what can be done, thought of or to become or be, boredom is close to the final state of existence.
    ___Following that state is stagnation, insanity and then death or a state comparable to nonexistence.
    The limits of knowledge ahhh i concur to certain aspects, so you wold not want to live forever in a world of absolute peace because it will be boring?
    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___MiguelSR1.

    ___When you include the concept of forever in any existence, boring is always one of the end results, even if it is not the final one.
    ___Would I want to live forever in such a world? It would not be boring as long as I had the knowledge that there were to be new things to learn and the possibility existed to find information which might prove what I have thought/come to understand about the future to be wrong.
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    Because there is a limit to what can be done, thought of or to become or be,
    And your'e sure about this?
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___GiantEvil.

    ___How many aeons do you think it will take before nothing more can be thought of to do or be?
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    ___GiantEvil.

    ___How many aeons do you think it will take before nothing more can be thought of to do or be?
    That's assuming were using finite intelligence, what if infinite intelligence is possible?
    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Bachelors Degree 15uliane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    depends...
    Posts
    425
    Since boredom could count as suffering, according to most major religions you can't get bored.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    ___GiantEvil.

    ___How many aeons do you think it will take before nothing more can be thought of to do or be?
    The universe shows characteristics of emergence, new doing's, and being's, will arise.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___MiguelSR1.

    ___If you take into account that there will be things thought of, created, changed done and to be outside of today’s limited wildest thoughts it still comes up that, you still come up with a finite limit to what an infinite intelligence can come up with.
    ___An infinite being gets tired (yes, I know that is a part of what you are attempting to show won’t happen) of what it does know and tries to find out if there is anything more to learn. It takes time to figure out ways to do things it once thought was to be impossible. It figures them out or if it can’t figures out how to do so, it creates seemingly infinite ways and realities based upon what it does know, but with alterations (from the minor to the major) within those ways and realities. This is to see if something or some other being (from a micro being to a macro [another seemingly omni-being] can figure out how or create a way to do what It cannot figure out. For how long and how often do you think It will keep attempting to create one reality after another to find out what else there is out there to prevent repetition/being in a rut.
    ___Within existence it is about: interaction, choice and change. Remove ALL interaction/choice/change and what results? Consider that, please.
    ___You’ll probably ask why such things would disappear, but that would involve another explanation, which I don’t have time for typing out, at this time and due to my internet circumstances (no home computer, costly [for my income] internet cafes and limited library time). But I can say that it will involve the concept described by the symbol, “acceptance”.
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___15uliane.
    Since boredom could count as suffering, according to most major religions you can't get bored.
    ___Is this lack of boredom in relation to the opening post’s stated location?
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___GiantEvil.
    The universe shows characteristics of emergence, new doing's, and being's, will arise.
    ___True. And It will continue to do so for quite some time, but if you consider the meaning of life to be, “To search for the answer to the question, “Is there nothing more?”” it will come to be believed (after the passing of time) that there can be nothing more to be thought of, to do or be.
    ___To save duplication, please read the above answer to MiguelSR1 to get a more explicit explanation.
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    ___MiguelSR1.

    ___If you take into account that there will be things thought of, created, changed done and to be outside of today’s limited wildest thoughts it still comes up that, you still come up with a finite limit to what an infinite intelligence can come up with.
    ___An infinite being gets tired (yes, I know that is a part of what you are attempting to show won’t happen) of what it does know and tries to find out if there is anything more to learn. It takes time to figure out ways to do things it once thought was to be impossible. It figures them out or if it can’t figures out how to do so, it creates seemingly infinite ways and realities based upon what it does know, but with alterations (from the minor to the major) within those ways and realities. This is to see if something or some other being (from a micro being to a macro [another seemingly omni-being] can figure out how or create a way to do what It cannot figure out. For how long and how often do you think It will keep attempting to create one reality after another to find out what else there is out there to prevent repetition/being in a rut.
    ___Within existence it is about: interaction, choice and change. Remove ALL interaction/choice/change and what results? Consider that, please.
    ___You’ll probably ask why such things would disappear, but that would involve another explanation, which I don’t have time for typing out, at this time and due to my internet circumstances (no home computer, costly [for my income] internet cafes and limited library time). But I can say that it will involve the concept described by the symbol, “acceptance”.
    At the moment my brain is frozen for a more complicated response but Id like to still live through the rest of time if possible. i will paint and sculpt marble artifacts for all time. and raise animals of all sorts and live in peace
    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    Counting, one... two... three... etc, is a singular activity. If one were, however, to count to infinity, it would, quite literally, take forever.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___MiguelSR1.
    i will paint and sculpt marble artifacts for all time. and raise animals of all sorts and live in peace
    ___Alright. So. Think about the predictable routine you will have in your life. There will be variations in that routine concerning what you make and the animals you will care about (usual life and death things for mortal creatures). Will you become content, accept and for forever stay within that set of routines or will you change to new things after a time?
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___GiantEvil
    ___You could also attempt to work out if there is a final number to Pi, keep walking in one direction until you find something that stops you and/or do any other number of things which, within limits, will have infinitely changing variables.
    ___Another way to keep things fresh and interesting would be to eliminate certain memories/knowledge so that when you come upon something, pertaining to those eliminated memories, they will seem new and interesting. For the length of time you keep choosing to do this. Unless you have eliminated the knowledge of erasing memories and keep making it a new idea, right?
    ___For how long do you think that you will keep doing this until it bores you? Or. Will you become content, accept and for forever stay on those paths without having anything new come to be within your perceptions?
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Sophomore MiguelSR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego C.A. United States
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    ___MiguelSR1.
    i will paint and sculpt marble artifacts for all time. and raise animals of all sorts and live in peace
    ___Alright. So. Think about the predictable routine you will have in your life. There will be variations in that routine concerning what you make and the animals you will care about (usual life and death things for mortal creatures). Will you become content, accept and for forever stay within that set of routines or will you change to new things after a time?
    It's a general statement not to mean nothing can be adjusted to accommodate any and all possible circumstances through out the eons. If it's true there is such as thing as infinite intelligence then it will literally take forever X infinity to think..........u will never be bored. Perhaps our current understanding of eternal life at this time (no matter how intelligent so many humans are) as a species is way limited and truly inconclusive vs the real deal which no man has seen........just in case.......such this should be given considerations until proven false beyond doubt.
    Imagination is key to the logic of thought, a greatest eternal truth.

    ME
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by futrethink
    ___GiantEvil
    ___You could also attempt to work out if there is a final number to Pi, keep walking in one direction until you find something that stops you and/or do any other number of things which, within limits, will have infinitely changing variables.
    ___Another way to keep things fresh and interesting would be to eliminate certain memories/knowledge so that when you come upon something, pertaining to those eliminated memories, they will seem new and interesting. For the length of time you keep choosing to do this. Unless you have eliminated the knowledge of erasing memories and keep making it a new idea, right?
    ___For how long do you think that you will keep doing this until it bores you? Or. Will you become content, accept and for forever stay on those paths without having anything new come to be within your perceptions?
    There is no final numeral to pi, it's been proven; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_t..._is_irrational
    I could also indefinitely follow a circle of logic based on assumptions, but that does quickly get boring.
    By the way, do we have a concise definition for, "bored"?
    You know, other than, having had a hole drilled through it.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    "Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heav'n." -Milton

    In other words, I'd say screw you guys, I'm going to create my own reality. How has this line not made it here?

    Also, boredom is a state of mind not forced but accepted. It's when you lack any conscious intentions or will power and can do nothing but accept entertaining stimuli to the point where you brain says "hey, this is boring." So, you try to change to new stimuli (for example, I got bored of watching Betty Boop cartoons so I came to thescienceforum). To defeat boredom simply try to focus on something, anything. Don't let anything else enter your mind. You will find that your own body and mind can give you endless discoveries. Screw the yummy ice cream, the sit-coms, the comfy couch, the nice car, etc., etc. So, theoretically, I would think that even in such a situation (this so called Heaven) which you have proposed you could, actually, refrain from boredom, providing you have the ambition to. Then, I suppose if you don't, you could keep yourself busy developing it.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___MiguelSR1.
    It's a general statement not to mean nothing can be adjusted to accommodate any and all possible circumstances through out the eons.
    ___Any new possible circumstances, correct? And after that, you work out possible adjustments for impossible (not meaning the completely unknown and unpredictable) circumstances?
    ___Anyway.
    If it's true there is such as thing as infinite intelligence then it will literally take forever X infinity to think..........u will never be bored.
    ___What is logically true, though, is that even infinity has a limit. Albeit, a seemingly impossible one. The only limit to existence is nonexistence or to any individual; what isn’t perceived/interacted with. If you have something or in this case, nothing, interacting with or showing/acting as a demarcation, it becomes a boundary and a finite to the infinite.
    ___An infinite intelligence can only know of what is within existence. If you can predict anything and everything within existence, there is absolutely nothing to surprise you. From that, you either accept that existence and, for forever, simply go with the flow (living life mechanically with no emotions), which can be a sort of death or you call it quits and the being that is you, dies.
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___GiantEvil.
    By the way, do we have a concise definition for, "bored"?
    ___There can be found any number of definitions found for bored http://onelook.com/?w=bored&ls=a , but the basic understanding I have found for it in all of the definitions is: having an state of existence in which nothing new and/or unpredictable comes within your perceptions to cause your emotions to react at an extreme level, so you exist mechanically/physically, but you know what is happening and it causes a mental and/or spiritual stress.
    There is no final numeral to pi, it's been proven
    ___True. That wasn’t quite the point I was bringing up though, was it? It was just that you could keep doing the math. As you brought up infinitely counting, I was merely showing that there a things that can be done infinitely. But for how long, until it just becomes mechanical and boring, will you do these infinitely long things?
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    Well, if people are going to go cavalierly spouting the word infinity, maybe they should do a little research on the subject, hmmmm?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Sophomore futrethink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    Posts
    106
    ___GiantEvil.
    Well, if people are going to go cavalierly spouting the word infinity, maybe they should do a little research on the subject, hmmmm?
    ___You mean more then I have already? If you think I really should. But I have also included, in my objective understanding of the described concept, the multiple definitions of “infinite” http://onelook.com/?w=infinite&ls=a found in dictionaries and not limited myself to one particular aspect of the objective concept described by the symbol “infinite” or any synonymous symbol used to describe same.
    ___To be infinite is, at the most basic of an understanding, is to have no limits.
    ___None. Zero. Zip. Nothing is outside of what an infinite singularity is. But, therein lies one small problem and I have shown it already.
    ___It is not a play on words or a joke or pun. It is a logical conclusion following an objective way of perceiving concepts.
    The world is the way it is, because we like it this way.
    Otherwise, we would change it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    let me help you with this dilemma.

    i am a Muslim and god says in the Quran that righteous people will enter heaven and live there as long as the heaven and earth will endure.

    at other times it is stated that people will live in heaven forever - but the above is a clarification of the matter.

    yes, in comparison to life today we will live forever in heaven - and we will never die.

    .. but there will be a time when our whole being and heaven is undone/wound up - at this time we would have experienced everything - this will be the end, but it will not matter to us as it will be pain free.

    this makes sense, because nothing can live and lasts forever perpetually - that's only a preserve for god himself.

    thanks.

    * need help with money, energy or numbers ? checkout *Spam link removed
    Last edited by KALSTER; August 5th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyolly View Post
    let me help you with this dilemma.
    i am a Muslim and god says in the Quran that righteous people will enter heaven and live there as long as the heaven and earth will endure.
    Fairy stories help with dilemmas?

    at other times it is stated that people will live in heaven forever - but the above is a clarification of the matter.
    yes, in comparison to life today we will live forever in heaven - and we will never die.
    ... but there will be a time when our whole being and heaven is undone/wound up - at this time we would have experienced everything - this will be the end, but it will not matter to us as it will be pain free.
    this makes sense, because nothing can live and lasts forever perpetually - that's only a preserve for god himself.
    thanks.
    No thanks.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    49
    Jollyolly, I disagree. It says "people will live in heaven forever" and, "people will enter heaven and live there as long as the heaven and earth will endure". I think this means that the world will last forever.

    The reason, in my opinion, why we will never get bored is that we are finite while G-d is infinite. By definition, we could study forever and still not know everything about G-d.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewish-Scientist View Post
    I think this means that the world will last forever.
    No it won't.

    The reason, in my opinion, why we will never get bored is that we are finite while G-d is infinite.
    Supposition.

    By definition, we could study forever and still not know everything about G-d.
    How many thousands (millions?) of people have been studying for how many thousands of years?
    What do we know about god at the present?
    Absolutely nothing.

    Doesn't that suggest something to you?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18
    if you could live forever (on earth or in heaven) at a certain moment u would understand the universe
    and you could be able to create your own universe with different laws etc, and learn about that universe

    and if you assume time is infinite, than this has already happened at least once, and god is just another alien
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumstig View Post
    and if you assume time is infinite, than this has already happened at least once, and god is just another alien
    Time may extend infinitely into the future, but currently evidence suggests that this universe, at least, does not extend infinitely into the past.

    In other words: no.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •