Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: All religions think they believe in the right God

  1. #1 All religions think they believe in the right God 
    Forum Freshman IAlexN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    90
    Why do most, if not all religions think they believe in the right God? Why is this? Hasn't they ever wondered what makes their God more real, true or right than other religion's Gods?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    160
    If they were part of a religion and didn't think they had the right god, they likely wouldn't be part of that religion any more and move on to a religion they felt had it right.

    They have been raised and brain washed into thinking their god is the right god. Their god is right because, in most cases, it's the god their parents had and they grew up learning about and hearing about. Anyone else is wrong and their going to go to hell because they worship a "false" god. Their holy book is divinely inspired and thus cannot be wrong, and since it says their god is the one true god, it has to be true since their god is infallible.

    Some people do question what makes their god right, and it's the people who question that tend to eventually throw off religion. A lot of people, however, don't question and believe blindly that their god is right, because questioning if their god is real or not, shows a lack of faith and lack of faith is a path to hell they believe.

    In reality, no religion is "correct" because we have no proof for any god's existence.


    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you" - Friedrich Nietzsche

    Semper Paratus
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasum
    If they were part of a religion and didn't think they had the right god, they likely wouldn't be part of that religion any more and move on to a religion they felt had it right.

    They have been raised and brain washed into thinking their god is the right god. Their god is right because, in most cases, it's the god their parents had and they grew up learning about and hearing about. Anyone else is wrong and their going to go to hell because they worship a "false" god. Their holy book is divinely inspired and thus cannot be wrong, and since it says their god is the one true god, it has to be true since their god is infallible.

    Some people do question what makes their god right, and it's the people who question that tend to eventually throw off religion. A lot of people, however, don't question and believe blindly that their god is right, because questioning if their god is real or not, shows a lack of faith and lack of faith is a path to hell they believe.
    And then there are those who were not raised in a relgion at all but then find overwhelming reason to believe that there is a great deal of truth in it.

    There are scientists who see the limitations to the scientific methodology and world view, suggesting that restricting oneself to purely objective approach is unreasonable and that anyone who claims to be doing so is deluding themselves. There are scientists who see in the conlcusions of science ample reasons that are admittedly subjective to look for a whole different aspect of the truth outside the inquiries of science which must include religion as one of the possibilities.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasum
    If they were part of a religion and didn't think they had the right god, they likely wouldn't be part of that religion any more and move on to a religion they felt had it right.
    That exact thought also occured to me when reading the OP. It's almost by default that they think it's right, since if they thought otherwise they would hold different beliefs (or, none at all).


    Quote Originally Posted by Haasum
    They have been raised and brain washed into thinking their god is the right god. Their god is right because, in most cases, it's the god their parents had and they grew up learning about and hearing about. Anyone else is wrong and their going to go to hell because they worship a "false" god.
    This strikes me as amazingly similar to the way people tend to choose their favorite sports teams. By example, one tends to like the same baseball team as their dad liked, or choose their favorite football team based mostly on where they grew up. Further, the choice of that team tends to inform who to dislike fiercely (which rival to hate), and it's generally based on little more than where they live or who their parent rooted for.

    I wonder if there is something deeper to this... whether something so simple also applies to religious belief. Curious, indeed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,191
    And there are people with other world-views who are just as firmly convinced they are correct about their beliefs. This applies to views about any host of things, politics, social systems, their approach to the environment or nature or economics, or science. People have a desire to have truth and do not relish the idea of being wrong. Some claim to be open minded while it is shut tight as a vice. I find Inow and skinwalker are excellent studies in this behavior.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by cypress
    I find Inow and skinwalker are excellent studies in this behavior.
    And, I'm supposed to care what you think, why exactly?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard SkinWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    2,376
    People have a desire to have truth and do not relish the idea of being wrong. Some claim to be open minded while it is shut tight as a vice. I find Inow and skinwalker are excellent studies in this behavior.
    How about that? An ad hominen dig from cypress.

    I'm very open to the truth and have revised my opinions and positions many times in my life, all with the advent of evidence. I even changed my mind about religion once. Evidence against Christian superstitions prevailed over the lack of claims.

    I would say that I'm an excellent role model in this regard.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasum
    Anyone else is wrong and their going to go to hell because they worship a "false" god.
    If I sincerily hold any view to be right, on any subject whatsoever, I obviously think that anybody with a contradictory view is wrong. But going to hell? No, not all of us religious people think that way about others. I certainly don't.

    And I have met very few who do. Some of them warned me that _I_ was going to hell if I didn't convert to their religion. I stuck to mine while appreciating their care for my eternal life. We parted as good friends, each in their respective good faith.
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by cypress
    I find Inow and skinwalker are excellent studies in this behavior.
    And, I'm supposed to care what you think, why exactly?
    Isnt such a negative, unconstructive and final answer helping his argument that you arent open minded?

    Just an observation. Personally i dont know any of you well enough to judge such things but your reply to him seemed extremely defensive and hostile. Which is ironic because that is EXACTLY how people react when confronted with opinions that are not their own. Like a religious man saying "Your god is false" and the other one replies "Burn heathen" instead of asking "And why is that?"

    Edit: To clarify. By not wanting to know WHY he stated that opinion about you by saying "And why am i suppose to care what you think?" it actually does sound like you arent very open minded and also ignorant, hostile and disrespectfull in a way. Again - your reply is actually aiding his argument.

    You couldve said:

    "Why would you say that, explain please" showing you were open to the idea that you may not be so open minded as you think and also act polite, and therefore actually be open minded about it.
    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman boson31415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Joburg, South Africa
    Posts
    24
    Lezek you said you parted as good friends with these people that tried to convert you, even though they belived your going to hell and since you say you stuck by your religion according to them your still going to hell.

    That is far from satisfying, if thats what you were going for.

    In your post i mean.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by cypress
    I find Inow and skinwalker are excellent studies in this behavior.
    And, I'm supposed to care what you think, why exactly?
    Isnt such a negative, unconstructive and final answer helping his argument that you arent open minded?
    Do a search of cypress' posts on this site, and also review the responses to them. He's a [Insult Removed], and I truly don't care what he thinks since in his more than 850 posts he's only made about 1 or 2 which are helpful and don't rely on evasion and ad hominem (they are usually helping users with engineering questions, all others are a waste of bandwidth).

    With that said, the openness of my mind is independent of my feelings for cypress and his trollish activities here claiming evolution and climate change are false.

    I understand and appreciate your point, though. I welcome sincere challenges to my review of data or my approach to information, and if my approach is somehow biased or blinded, I encourage people to point it out to me so I can review (and potentially correct) the problem. The issue here, however, is that cypress is hardly sincere, and is really doing little more than being contrary like he does throughout the site.

    Again, do a search of his posts. You'll get the idea. Cheers.

    Please refrain from direct insults and consider this an official warning. Thank you, SW
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by boson31415
    Lezek you said you parted as good friends with these people that tried to convert you, even though they belived your going to hell and since you say you stuck by your religion according to them your still going to hell.

    That is far from satisfying, if thats what you were going for.

    In your post i mean.
    I described those cases because I cannot in all honesty say that it never happened to me. But my point was that, in my experience, it's extremely rare. It happened on something like 2 or 3 occasions in my life. And even then, there was no hostility involved, just a good-intentioned attempt to lead me away from a path those people thought was leading to damnation.

    PS Is my first name really so hard to spell?
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 Re: All religions think they believe in the right God 
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by IAlexN
    Why do most, if not all religions think they believe in the right God? Why is this? Hasn't they ever wondered what makes their God more real, true or right than other religion's Gods?
    There is an idea in evolutionary psychology that suggests a number of humans have minds attuned to the idea of picking up a strong belief that acts as the foundation for the person's social interactions. In the past this used to be a 'traditional' religion, but could equally well apply to Marxism, Secular Humanism and so on. A key feature of this is that the exact belief in question would depend upon the human's environment as the overwhelming majority pick up the religion/belief system within which they grow up. Another feature would be that the picker up of these (?religious) beliefs considers them inerrant. The inerrancy, however, would be a feature of that person's mind, not of the belief system in question.

    Not sure if this addresses your question directly, but I do believe that sometimes questions of philosophy are really questions about psychology...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    14
    A person only believes in what he/she judges correct. We should expect everyone claiming to know the true god.
    Also, if a certain religion is taken as correct by someone, it is expected that every set of beliefs that contradicts his/her belief to be considered false.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •