Notices
Results 1 to 85 of 85

Thread: Purpose of life...

  1. #1 Purpose of life... 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    100
    I have finally found a purpose to my life...
    I take my goal to proof with the tools of logicality
    that inside is actually other name for outside,
    and that is infact inpossible to human to "drop"

    So what is your purpose?


    Machina multa minax minitatur maxima muris

    Carminis Iliaci libros consumpsit asellus. O Fatum Troiae! Aut ecus aut asinus!

    Vita regit Fortuna, non sapientia!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    716
    My purpose is to understand what life is all about.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by prasit
    My purpose is to understand what life is all about.
    Indeed. We are alive. And the purpose of living things is to live and to live is to be creative of oneself. If our purpose is handed down from above then how could we truly be creative of ourself? We would be fixed by the heavens (or God) to a predetermined destiny and our being would not be truly of our own making. So I say yes indeed, part of being our own creator is to determine our own purpose and thus to choose our own destiny. But if you think about it, considering our own apalling ignorance of ourselves, this is a frightening responsiblility!
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    The quintessential purpose, the reason that incorporates all events from one life, and the lives that surround and penetrate that one is the final, fatal destination.. Death.

    Still, I do not see any neccesary to worship death, for whatever reason. It's just a reason to live life a bit (or perhaps a lot) more passionately.

    Mr U
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior Cuete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    4722,28 miles away from home
    Posts
    218
    My purpose in life is to leave a legacy. It can be tiny, small, big, hughe... it doesn't matter. Some day - maybe the day that I die - I'll find out what that was.

    Sorry, that answer was so vague... so vague as the question itself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: Purpose of life... 
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    So what is your purpose?
    tough question.
    as i don't believe in fate or destiny and since i don't believe any part of our birth, life and death go beyond what is biological i must say that at this moment;

    i serve no purpose.

    no purpose other than what is deturmined by my environment to ensure survival of the species and all that it encompases.
    i can't do much of that at this young age but no doubt i'll do my part, whenever and wherever it is nessisary.

    that is only a very superficial purpose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman Silex7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    89
    God showed us the purpose of life in religion, as to worship him and to learn and work in ife in order to growi this earth..
    it been showed in the holy quran,..i hope that i did not gut out the issue u intedn.
    "Nothing can be accepted in this world, if it did not pass the mathematical proof."

    Leonardo Da Vinci
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    309
    any catholic would say that our purpose is to help fellow man. and that is what we are doing with science. the whole point is to get to the perfect place in most religions.
    I don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it

    the road to succes is never paved or clearly marked
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,009
    I'm not much of a philosopher and this is a science forum.

    I'm really not sure if there is a purpose to life but I don't rule it out. A living thing is no more than an ordered concoction of matter and energy, tiny bits and pieces of the universe. Life is not just add water and mix. We need to know what life is before we can ever begin to find purpose.

    I like to think of life as a solution, a homogenous mixture of two or more substances. Included in that Big Bang was life. Unless it existed outside of that famous singularity it was always a part of it. It probably dominates the entire universe, only manifesting itself under certain conditions, sprouting into prominence at the right moment like pimples on a teenagers face on prom night. Did it arrive from some other dimension, did it need time and space to work its magic?

    The universe in some ways is alive but only because life permeates it 100%. I also like to think of life as the 5th force. Let's face it , matter is affected by its presence. Like gravity it is mysterious and everywhere.

    Possibly life is the only thing alive in this universe. Confused? So am I. What we refer to as living creatures are merely polyps that are extensions of one living thing.

    Life and the universe are one. Is life the universe's mechanism to learn of itself? For what reason? To escape from this plane to move on to the next? Will the death of the universe mean the end of life?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    or more importantly does the cease fire of neurons in the brain impart death. true and final death that is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,009
    Quote Originally Posted by wallaby
    or more importantly does the cease fire of neurons in the brain impart death. true and final death that is.
    If all the conditions for life are not there then life can no longer manifest itself. Death is the absence of at least one attribute required for life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    65
    My purpose is simple. I should make our world a better place to live.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,009
    I think that in the centuries to follow, when we get out there, finding lifeforms on different worlds will be quite commonplace. If lifeforms are found to be in great abundance then I believe there will be a real shift in people's attitudes towards purpose. People won't see their lives as being so important in the grand scheme, and just might see themselves with not much more purpose other than to enjoy it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    309
    of course greedy people would say money would be the prime goal in life. but seriously, how much money can you use? i mean, the only thing left for bill gates is buy a continent or 2, but he really cant get any more personal comfort. i say 20 billion to charity.
    I don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it

    the road to succes is never paved or clearly marked
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    if everyone took the meaning of enjoyment, the human race might not last that much longer.

    so i'll stick my bet on following natural instincts. not that it will prevent the collapse of the human race.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    j
    j is offline
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    431
    Growth, followed by death.

    Growth spiritually, intellectually, emotionally.

    Death is the boundary that gives life meaning, the way the rigidity of structure allows the most beautiful verse and dance.

    [BTW, I believe most Catholics would say that the purpose of life is 'to know God, to love God, and to serve God', but let me check on that.]
    Why do they want us to believe Conspiracy Theories?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17 To find my share of happiness and contentment. 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    To find my share of happiness and contentment. These are the minds rewards for satisfying our emotional appetites.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    41
    I think the answer to the question is fairly simple, if we look at it from a logical point of view.

    If there was no plan for how we got here, then there is no obligation to anything or anyone on earth, other than to reproduce and guard our families.
    Yujikid
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    j
    j is offline
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    431
    Logical arguments always define their parameters; I might argue with yours.
    Why do they want us to believe Conspiracy Theories?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    I think J, your response is equivalent to the one I planned, which was:

    So?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,116
    The evangelical Christian would say his purpose is to die and go to heaven and take as many people with him as he can.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    The evangelical Christian would say his purpose is to die and go to heaven and take as many people with him as he can.

    kind of like a suicide bomber huh?


    I guess I am not an evangelical Christian, if that is a requirement. I have many purposes but on top of the list is probably to give my 3 sons all that I can.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23 WHY ? Why? wh.... 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    20
    Life only has a purpose if you give it one. Life has no meaning, however
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Well, Mitchell, I am not aware of any Christian -- conservative or liberal, evangelical or wishy-washy -- who has used the process of suicide-murder to attempt to conver others.

    Secondarily, even the Muslim use of this tactic is not designed to convert their infidel victims, but rather to gain their own admittance to heaven by sending infidels to hell.

    At this point, I don't think you need to worry about being accused or convicted of being an evangelical Christian.

    And what would it profit your sons if you give them the entire world and they should lose their souls.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25 Re: Purpose of life... 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    So what is your purpose?
    To procreate ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    Well, Mitchell, I am not aware of any Christian -- conservative or liberal, evangelical or wishy-washy -- who has used the process of suicide-murder to attempt to conver others.
    Now who cannot take a joke? I feel embarassed explaining it to you. Just read your description of an evangelical Christian and you will see that your words work equally well when you replace evangellical Christian with suicide bomber.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    Secondarily, even the Muslim use of this tactic is not designed to convert their infidel victims, but rather to gain their own admittance to heaven by sending infidels to hell.
    I am not going argue about similarities between the two that would be ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    At this point, I don't think you need to worry about being accused or convicted of being an evangelical Christian.
    What is that supposed to mean? Are you judging me? I was not judging you. The church I go to is most definitely evangelical Christian. We can laugh at ourselves can't we? And if we cannot then I think we have become mired in self-righteousness and a bit too like the Pharisees for comfort.

    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    And what would it profit your sons if you give them the entire world and they should lose their souls.
    True. But I do not believe that using my authority as a parent to make them go through the motions of salvation will accomplish anything but tempting God. Salvation is not by works but by the grace of God.

    I teach them to understand what is right and wrong and never to compromise with this. They have to come to the realization that they can never live up to the standard by themselves and that they need Jesus in their lives. I don't pretend that I can take the place of God in bringing them to this realization. Getting children to recite a prayer inviting Jesus into their live is a mockery of Christianity and tries to turn grace into law as the Catholic church has tried to do for centuries. Children are best raised under the law so that they can recognize sin in themselve and be ready to receive Christ when the proper time comes.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27 Re: WHY ? Why? wh.... 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ72
    Life only has a purpose if you give it one. Life has no meaning, however
    This is the most crystal clear though I ever heard...
    My respection to thee.
    Machina multa minax minitatur maxima muris

    Carminis Iliaci libros consumpsit asellus. O Fatum Troiae! Aut ecus aut asinus!

    Vita regit Fortuna, non sapientia!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    2,116
    Sorry, Mitchell, I just reacted. Sometimes one is not sure if someone is joking or taking umbrage. I was not quite judging you, although you are probably not as confrontationally outspoken in your evangelicalism as some of us. You are, neverltheless, a more effective apologist on a number of issues.

    Your post over on the other thread in response to skinwalker is 10 times better than anything I might have said, but I will probably say something anyway.

    Sometimes an (LOL) might assist when you make a funny. In view of what was being said, I did not find it "funny" to compare suicide-murders with Christian sharing of the Gospel.

    I apologize for misunderstanding, brother.
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. -- Albert Einstein

    If God DID do all of this, is He not the greatest scientist of all? -- dt, 2005
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope mitchellmckain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonturner
    I was not quite judging you, although you are probably not as confrontationally outspoken in your evangelicalism as some of us. You are, neverltheless, a more effective apologist on a number of issues.
    You got that right! My temperment is far more suited to apology than evangelism. Although the first part of my post refering to suicide bombers was a joke, the second part was serious. I probably do not qualify as an evangelical christian regardless of whether I am going to an evangelical church, which I only mentioned to show that I respect and feel at home worshiping with evangelical Christians not to say that I am one.

    I have to put the adjective "evangelical" in the same category as "fundamentalist" as a point of view which I respect but which I do not qualify for. The first because of my excessively empathetic temperment and the second because of my unwillingness to abide by Sola Scriptura.

    Oh and it has taken me a long time to figure out what LOL stands for. I finally googled it. But I have not yet developed the habit of using it yet. Thanks for the pointer.
    See my physics of spaceflight simulator at http://www.relspace.astahost.com

    I now have a blog too: http://astahost.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    For Mitchell:
    It's nice to see the children playing together.

    For Dayton:
    It's nice to see the children playing together. :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Freshman Starry.Skies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Universe is really big...but I'm somewhere out there.
    Posts
    32
    My purpose in live is to live. Happily. Happiness is defined as success. Success doesn't have to be big - it could just be reaching an important goal.
    Science is organized knowledge; wisdom is organized life.
    -Immanuel Kant
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Strugle Town
    Posts
    222
    Could it be that Life is developing to be a vessel for intelligence
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    what then?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Strugle Town
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by wallaby
    what then?
    OK Cobber, what then, If we take huge jump and say my question is possibly on the right line, then at some time in the future the human mind may be capable of understanding the purpose of life, if it has a purpose, or if it has no purpose we may then be more able to accept that scenario, at the moment we don’t even know which came first.
    How is the weather over the ditch? :wink: :wink: :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Die Fledermaus
    Quote Originally Posted by wallaby
    what then?
    OK Cobber, what then, If we take huge jump and say my question is possibly on the right line, then at some time in the future the human mind may be capable of understanding the purpose of life, if it has a purpose, or if it has no purpose we may then be more able to accept that scenario, at the moment we don’t even know which came first.
    How is the weather over the ditch? :wink: :wink: :wink:
    we got some waiting to do then.

    sunny day and chilly nights... typical autum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Freshman DesertFoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    28
    I think our purpose in life is to be as succesful as possible, and then die.
    You may think you're the best at everything, Mr. Anderson, but I am. I am you're opposite, you're better half. You've been a bad boy, Mr. Anderson.........
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10
    Broadly speaking, I don't see why life as a whole has to HAVE a purpose. Individually, however, my own self-assigned purpose is to learn and imagine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Freshman Secret_Agent_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9
    To procreate 'Cause that the real meaning of life :wink:
    Eagles may fly high, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    The meaning of all life is
    REPRODUCTION

    thats how it is, you cant argue with it
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    gardengrove California
    Posts
    138
    my purpose of like is to discover who is human and wats is up and out there in the sky so we can travel out of space :-D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Freshman .:Elusive.Neutrino:.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Coronado, CA
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry.Skies
    My purpose in live is to live. Happily. Happiness is defined as success. Success doesn't have to be big - it could just be reaching an important goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Agent_Man
    To procreate 'Cause that the real meaning of life :wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    The meaning of all life is
    REPRODUCTION

    thats how it is, you cant argue with it
    (Hypothesis: it is possible (with somewhat sketchy accuracy, however) to decipher from this thread who is male and who is female.) :P
    <i8b4uUnderground> d-_-b
    <BonyNoMore> how u make that inverted b?
    <BonyNoMore> wait
    <BonyNoMore> never mind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Freshman Secret_Agent_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9
    Well aside from the fact that I have "Man" in my screen name. At the end of the day after all the philosophical things that run around in peoples minds it always all boils down to reproduction, it's not just a male thing its how life is. SOme of us just accept it eaiser than others :wink:
    Eagles may fly high, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    27
    we are atoms,our purpose is the same as a rock`s
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    well, not really, its to reproduce
    but if we watch universal everythigns purpose is to increase entropy
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by ThanatosX
    we are atoms,our purpose is the same as a rock`s
    those rocks don't fit our current definition, even though it is pretty undefined, of life or being alive.
    hence there purpose will be different in relation to the natural environment as opposed to ours.

    in a biological sense i guess were here to reproduce just like every other animal, even though we seem to have developed conscious enough brains to convince ourselves otherwise.

    however in a universal sense i can't see a reason or purpose of anything.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Freshman .:Elusive.Neutrino:.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Coronado, CA
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Agent_Man
    Well aside from the fact that I have "Man" in my screen name. At the end of the day after all the philosophical things that run around in peoples minds it always all boils down to reproduction, it's not just a male thing its how life is. SOme of us just accept it eaiser than others :wink:
    Yes, I do agree with you, it's just that generally speaking when a question like this is asked, more men will reply with the answer of "reproduction" than women. Just an observation. I hope that changes in a few years.
    <i8b4uUnderground> d-_-b
    <BonyNoMore> how u make that inverted b?
    <BonyNoMore> wait
    <BonyNoMore> never mind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    they can asnwer what ever they want it wont change the fact
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    they can asnwer what ever they want it wont change the fact
    the unconfirmable, unproven and unexplanable fact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Freshman Secret_Agent_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9
    One day when you grow up wallaby you'll realise this too
    Eagles may fly high, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    it is the fact, the meaning of life is to reproduce. Say what ever you want it doesnt change that fact. People said that earth is flat, but it never changed the fact it were round, and it still is round
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Agent_Man
    One day when you grow up wallaby you'll realise this too
    realise that the meaing of life is the continuation and survival of the species. already do.

    that is however far from a proven fact that we can say for 100% certainty is the purpose of all life. we observe the natural patern of all sorts or creatures to come to this conclusion but how do we know that varying degrees of consciousness or sentience don't play a part in the ecosystem beyond reproducing?

    not suggesting it does but making a generalisation, based on observation, that is true in most cases hardly makes it a fact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    every observation on evolutionary principles and ideas gives the same result, reproduction, why survive? to reproduce. why eat? to survive. why drink? to survive. why reproduction? becuase it isnt life if it doesnt

    every thing life have evovled is to make it easier to survive and by that reproducing
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    27
    humanity will end in a few thousand years anyway so whats the point in reproducing?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    becuase if we dont there is absolutly no chance our genetic material is passed on, while if we reproduce there is allways a chance, we might not exist then (i doubt a few tousand years is enough to kill us) but a new species of us then does and they have then our genes.

    id say in 100 years humanity will become inextincteble
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Forum Freshman Secret_Agent_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9
    Think about it. Everything you do is in order for you to make reproduction eaiser. For example: Why are you on this forum? Its either to learn more or to show off your own knowledge. Why do we want this knowledge? Thats easy! Its so we can get those lovely qualifications for a good job... right? Why do we need a good job? So we can provide for a family... there ya go! See you can track everything back to reproduction!
    Eagles may fly high, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    every observation on evolutionary principles and ideas gives the same result, reproduction, why survive? to reproduce.
    thats just undefined travelling in circles kind of logic that i don't have a word for other than maybe BS.

    if i ask you why survive you say to reproduce,
    if i ask why reproduce you'll probably say something like survival of the species.

    this gives no purpose or meaning to life. why?
    because you havn't been able to draw any conclusion or put a purpose to life you just have one statement refering to another.
    in this way we have a what came first, the chicken or the egg type arguement that has no origin.
    why did life begin?

    things just happened, just like animals survive and reproduce.
    this is far from saying that simply because these things happen that there is a purpose to it and there is no meaning of life other than perhaps to live, as living entails both reproduction and survival, but beyond that we can observe that,
    shit happens
    and this bears no indication of an actuall purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Agent_Man
    Think about it. Everything you do is in order for you to make reproduction eaiser. For example: Why are you on this forum? Its either to learn more or to show off your own knowledge. Why do we want this knowledge? Thats easy! Its so we can get those lovely qualifications for a good job... right? Why do we need a good job? So we can provide for a family... there ya go! See you can track everything back to reproduction!
    and so you deny the existance of curiosity and desire to know stuff.
    this maybe why your here but ain't why i'm here and it certainly doesn't mean that thats the reason everyone is here.
    we can just as equally track everything back to there is no purpose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    to be.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    f i ask why reproduce you'll probably say something like survival of the species
    i would never say that, its to spread on YOUR OWN genes, each individual dopnt give a shit about any body else unless he have something to gain from it
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    f i ask why reproduce you'll probably say something like survival of the species
    i would never say that, its to spread on YOUR OWN genes, each individual dopnt give a shit about any body else unless he have something to gain from it
    granted however the point still stands, i take it you have no objection to that point. excelent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    it isnt chicken or the egg.
    Lets take it from the begining
    What is life? Well, simple answer, controlled chemical reactions
    That need somekinda central controll mechanism, DNA (Or RNA)
    But as we all know those reactions cant go on forever, with out new supply of material and energy, metabolism
    but as metabolism goes there will allways be damages to what ever the cell has, so of course it could just repair the shit, but that wont alst for ever either, So making a copy of itself is the solution. 2 individuals, each with a half new set of stuff that isnt as damaged as it were before. Hurray

    So what is this? well this includes the main differens between life and none-living stuff
    Metabolis
    Reproduction
    Reaction to the sourrunding (spelled?), of course with any chemicals there will be reactions to the present of otehr chemicals etc

    If we increase the effiency of metabolism we can grow faster and thereby increasing damages inside the cell, so reproduction is needed to be faster, unless it fixes a better repair system. All genes wich causes a decrease of reproductive ability will die out, becuase those who increase it will grow in numbers much faster and become the dominate one and eventualy the lesser one will die. Only genes favoring reproduction will win for the simple reason, they grow in numbers alot faster
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    it isnt chicken or the egg.
    Lets take it from the begining
    What is life? Well, simple answer, controlled chemical reactions
    That need somekinda central controll mechanism, DNA (Or RNA)
    But as we all know those reactions cant go on forever, with out new supply of material and energy, metabolism
    but as metabolism goes there will allways be damages to what ever the cell has, so of course it could just repair the shit, but that wont alst for ever either, So making a copy of itself is the solution. 2 individuals, each with a half new set of stuff that isnt as damaged as it were before. Hurray

    So what is this? well this includes the main differens between life and none-living stuff
    Metabolis
    Reproduction
    Reaction to the sourrunding (spelled?), of course with any chemicals there will be reactions to the present of otehr chemicals etc

    If we increase the effiency of metabolism we can grow faster and thereby increasing damages inside the cell, so reproduction is needed to be faster, unless it fixes a better repair system. All genes wich causes a decrease of reproductive ability will die out, becuase those who increase it will grow in numbers much faster and become the dominate one and eventualy the lesser one will die. Only genes favoring reproduction will win for the simple reason, they grow in numbers alot faster
    right no longer a chicken and the egg due to your previous post.
    but the point still stands.

    why reproduce why keep these cells alive, what are they doing thats so important. if an organism is reproducing its own cells to survive and survives to reproduce then there is no purpose drawn, just an endless cycle of events each as pointless as the previous one.

    WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.
    the cells replicate themselves WHY?
    the cells are bent on making sure that there are always enough cells to make more WHY?

    WHY?... there is no why they are just doing it becuase its what cells do, they don't do it for a reason and there is no purpose behind it or any other cell in this universe, baring any undetected species who are manipulating us.

    it just does what it does and we erroneously think that there is a purpose to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    there is no grand reason, like some religius people say. But why they reproduce is, becuase if it dont its not alive
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    there is no grand reason, like some religius people say. But why they reproduce is, becuase if it dont its not alive
    the continuation of life without purpose, not any worse than one with it.

    we'll have to find our own, but ultimately it comes to nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    there is no grand purpose, never has never will. it isnt horrible, life the life you want and die. You only live once
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    there is no grand purpose, never has never will. it isnt horrible, life the life you want and die. You only live once
    yea kinda sad really.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    not really, there is no need for a grander purpose.
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    not really, there is no need for a grander purpose.
    thats not what i find sad.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    what do you think is sad then?
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    it might be the one life part, the idea of being and then being no more is a pretty unattractive one. it has its own beauty to it though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    dont think its sad, its a fact and you have to accept it. thats why i want to live the life as i want, i got no more to do after
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    My life has no purpose, therefore I am free to do what I please.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    exacly, but of course following moral standards is natural thoe we suffer if we dont
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8
    The purpose of life is to find out the purpose of life...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    The purpose of life is to find out the purpose of life...
    nope, reproduction, say what ever you want exept this and its wrong
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8
    That doesn't explain the purpose of life it's just what life does.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    it does, its purpose is to reproduce, else it isnt life, therefor its main purpsoe
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8
    The question is why does it reproduce?, for what point.

    What is the purpose of reproducing?.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    There is no purpose.

    Entities that have a tendency to reproduce will likely produce offspring that have this same tendency, so they, in turn, will produce offspring, which will likely have the same tendency.

    If any offspring develop a tendency not to reproduce they likely will not do so, so that tendency is suppresed after a single generation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Ophiolite is right on that, but also if it doesnt reproduce it isnt living
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Ophiolite is right on that, but also if it doesnt reproduce it isnt living
    but that doesn't mean it was never alive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    20
    Scientifically speaking life has no purpose. The universe will contine to expand, then contract long after humans are extinct.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Ophiolite is right on that, but also if it doesnt reproduce it isnt living
    I have a close friend who is over fifty and he has not reproduced. Should I tell him he is dead?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Forum Sophomore kingjacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    between time and timbuktu
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ72
    Scientifically speaking life has no purpose. The universe will contine to expand, then contract long after humans are extinct.
    Scientifically life does have a purpose, because the universe is not irrational,things dont just happen in the universe, If a ball falls it fell because it had a reason to fall and that reason was gravity. when all actions are bound by the laws of the universe, the end result of the universe is the goal/purpose of those those laws.

    I wrote a short paragraoh, here, about humans purpose that helps support my statement
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    i can't see the link between the cause and effect of actions and purpose.
    the effect would only show purpose if the cause was triggered purposely but then the purpose for triggering that cause would come as the result of some other effect triggered by another cause.

    so it comes back to the big bang. what cause created this effect?
    science doesn't know yet, the religious will tell you that god did it and i personally believe that maybe it just happened.
    so i can't see the link between cause effect purpose and creation of our universe and everything in it would be a more accurate statement i guess.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    SEEKER Genesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    52 degrees North
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by prasit View Post
    My purpose is to understand what life is all about.
    I believe all, and every thing is connected in some way.
    I believe even when our biological presence fades. It is not the end of every thing.
    Its a matter of understanding which guides our future.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •