Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I have proven faster then light is an impossibility

  1. #1 I have proven faster then light is an impossibility 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    17
    okay based on the theory of reletivity light will always go the same speed, even if your going the speed of light and you turn on a light it will move away from you. but from a fixed point of reference it will move the normal speed of light.

    Now people always talk about needing to find a way to move faster then light to travel to distant stars.

    BUT it is impossible. because even if we were to be able to go faster then light through some imaginary means, we would just go the speed of light no matter how much faster we were going.

    BECAUSE, time slows down to equal the speed of light the faster your going. so if you were going faster then light, time would just slow you down so ur acually just going the speed of light.. just like it does to light right now.

    but this is just my theory.


    to discover is to create.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    So your previous theory that you stated about time travel makes no sense. Why would you say that now after saying that?


    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: I have proven faster then light is an impossibility 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by marine(uc)
    okay based on the theory of reletivity light will always go the same speed, even if your going the speed of light and you turn on a light it will move away from you. but from a fixed point of reference it will move the normal speed of light.

    Now people always talk about needing to find a way to move faster then light to travel to distant stars.

    BUT it is impossible. because even if we were to be able to go faster then light through some imaginary means, we would just go the speed of light no matter how much faster we were going.

    BECAUSE, time slows down to equal the speed of light the faster your going. so if you were going faster then light, time would just slow you down so ur acually just going the speed of light.. just like it does to light right now.

    but this is just my theory.
    Good thinking but not quite. IF you COULD travel at the exact same speed of light then, time for you would stop. Photons do not experience time. Also, time dilation is not relevant to C.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    So your previous theory that you stated about time travel makes no sense. Why would you say that now after saying that?
    thats if time travel was possible. this is all theoretical, and under certain situations.

    I acually thought of this while i was writing the last one.

    this is my theory on why it isn't possible

    the other was based on a principle of it being possible.
    to discover is to create.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Re: I have proven faster then light is an impossibility 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by marine(uc)
    okay based on the theory of reletivity light will always go the same speed, even if your going the speed of light and you turn on a light it will move away from you. but from a fixed point of reference it will move the normal speed of light.

    Now people always talk about needing to find a way to move faster then light to travel to distant stars.

    BUT it is impossible. because even if we were to be able to go faster then light through some imaginary means, we would just go the speed of light no matter how much faster we were going.

    BECAUSE, time slows down to equal the speed of light the faster your going. so if you were going faster then light, time would just slow you down so ur acually just going the speed of light.. just like it does to light right now.

    but this is just my theory.
    Good thinking but not quite. IF you COULD travel at the exact same speed of light then, time for you would stop. Photons do not experience time. Also, time dilation is not relevant to C.
    what you said was just as much theory as what i said.
    to discover is to create.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,416
    Am I right in saying that time itself doesn't slow down the closer you reach the speed of light, it only seems like it? I don't know, but somehow that makes more sense to me
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    414
    Wow. I didn't know Einstein posted in these forums. He was after all the one who came up with this theory.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore Schizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    164
    I think traveling faster than the speed of light is feasible... with my soon to be patented technology.


    I call it the N.E.R.D. drive.... and I am serious about the name it is a real acronym...


    Ok maybe it is not going to be patented anytime soon... because I just have an idea which may just be a flight of fancy... However the name is sticking no matter how many people dislike it, even if it has to be brought about in a sci-fi novel, because thats where my idea will end up probably... = (


    Seriously though with just my imagination I have thought of a means to travel faster than light using a vessel... a space vessel.

    Boo YA!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Since we are in Philosophical Discussion and not Physics, I do not need to move this thread - at least not right away.

    Staying with the philosophy angle, may I ask you marine(uc) what prompts you to 'come up with a theory'?

    I am reminded of a story about Einstein. He was at a dinner, sat next to a gentlemen who periodically took out a small notebook and entered a few words. Einstein finally asked the man what he was doing. "Whenever I have a good idea I just right it down. You ought to do the same thing."
    Einstein thought for a moment, then replied, "It wouldn't be worth it. I have only had one or two good ideas in my whole life."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the circuitous haze of my mind
    Posts
    1,028
    Wow. I didn't know Einstein posted in these forums. He was after all the one who came up with this theory.
    That's what I was going to say.

    Yeah, its not your theory. You only repeated a couple of well known facts.
    Of all the wonders in the universe, none is likely more fascinating and complicated than human nature.

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence"

    -Einstein

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

    Use your computing strength for science!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    814
    Nothing is impossible
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    There is a God.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    There is a God.
    And there isn't.

    All truths are dichotomous.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    What about octupus'? :P
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •