Notices
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Entropy question

  1. #1 Entropy question 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Its been said and i have seen videos and research papers on the subject that when the end comes were all sucked up into a super massive black hole or black holes then eventually
    that black holes will evaporate into radiation. so when they do release said energy back into well i suspect nothing because well all observable space is infinite darkness, so merely
    this is a what if scenario so keep an open mind lets say if we can detect Hawking radiation because well black holes don't last forever. But merely what if before observable time
    and space such an event were to happen and short millions to billions of years later or in a blink of an eye create a new universe. its just a theory so don't take it too seriously.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Its been said and i have seen videos and research papers on the subject that when the end comes were all sucked up into a super massive black hole or black holes then eventually
    that black holes will evaporate into radiation. so when they do release said energy back into well i suspect nothing because well all observable space is infinite darkness, so merely
    this is a what if scenario so keep an open mind lets say if we can detect Hawking radiation because well black holes don't last forever. But merely what if before observable time
    and space such an event were to happen and short millions to billions of years later or in a blink of an eye create a new universe. its just a theory so don't take it too seriously.
    We've got to get through today and tomorrow first!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    I agree with you but its something that had recently clicked with me. You have the big bang theory and it says that it started with a small singularity and expanded.
    Now where did that energy come from and how did it get there. So i put two and to together and i came up with this. Fundamentally it seems alright but there is also
    flaws to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    I agree with you but its something that had recently clicked with me. You have the big bang theory and it says that it started with a small singularity and expanded.
    Now where did that energy come from and how did it get there. So i put two and to together and i came up with this. Fundamentally it seems alright but there is also
    flaws to it.
    They have been trying to work this out for years but lately the Universe just seems to be getting bigger. I've seen people say the Universe is infinite. Well if it is infinite I no longer believe in the Big Bang. The logic of going from a point to infinity in 13.7 billion years bets me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Its been said and i have seen videos and research papers on the subject that when the end comes were all sucked up into a super massive black hole or black holes then eventually
    that black holes will evaporate into radiation. so when they do release said energy back into well i suspect nothing because well all observable space is infinite darkness, so merely
    this is a what if scenario so keep an open mind lets say if we can detect Hawking radiation because well black holes don't last forever. But merely what if before observable time
    and space such an event were to happen and short millions to billions of years later or in a blink of an eye create a new universe. its just a theory so don't take it too seriously.
    What does this have to do with general entropy?

    Other than that yes! It is very interesting, this is all theoretically however.. But from what I've read, space and time will bend or curve around the black hole causing space time for someone in that extremely strong gravitational field to feel as though time has slow down. However, if we were looking at that very same black hole from a distance, time will be normal for us. Therefore we would see that person get sucked into a black hole at the speed of light perhaps.

    I'm no expert, so I'll be expecting some corrections on my comments here lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Its been said and i have seen videos and research papers on the subject that when the end comes were all sucked up into a super massive black hole or black holes then eventually
    that black holes will evaporate into radiation. so when they do release said energy back into well i suspect nothing because well all observable space is infinite darkness, so merely
    this is a what if scenario so keep an open mind lets say if we can detect Hawking radiation because well black holes don't last forever. But merely what if before observable time
    and space such an event were to happen and short millions to billions of years later or in a blink of an eye create a new universe. its just a theory so don't take it too seriously.
    What does this have to do with general entropy?

    Other than that yes! It is very interesting, this is all theoretically however.. But from what I've read, space and time will bend or curve around the black hole causing space time for someone in that extremely strong gravitational field to feel as though time has slow down. However, if we were looking at that very same black hole from a distance, time will be normal for us. Therefore we would see that person get sucked into a black hole at the speed of light perhaps.

    I'm no expert, so I'll be expecting some corrections on my comments here lol.
    I wonder if you got that the right way around?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    All in all, all i'm trying to is when entropy reaches the point where everything is gone and only a single black hole or black holes exist then from the billions of years
    since it evaporates then finally releasing all of its potential energy would it be enough so that it can create a new universe. Since matter cannot be created or destroyed,
    you can convert mass into energy and energy into mass. So the potential of a super massive black hole that has the equivalent energy of the known universe within it
    when finally evaporates it should be more than enough to create a new universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    All in all, all i'm trying to is when entropy reaches the point where everything is gone and only a single black hole or black holes exist then from the billions of years
    since it evaporates then finally releasing all of its potential energy would it be enough so that it can create a new universe. Since matter cannot be created or destroyed,
    you can convert mass into energy and energy into mass. So the potential of a super massive black hole that has the equivalent energy of the known universe within it
    when finally evaporates it should be more than enough to create a new universe.
    When you were talking about space time fluctuation around a black hole. I lost track that you were talking about Stephen Hawking's theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,313
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    All in all, all i'm trying to is when entropy reaches the point where everything is gone and only a single black hole or black holes exist
    Entropy does NOT mean that everything ends up in a black hole.
    Nor is everything ending in black holes [necessarily] correct.

    So the potential of a super massive black hole that has the equivalent energy of the known universe within it when finally evaporates it should be more than enough to create a new universe.
    Apart from whatever energy/ mass gets pulled back in again.
    You seem to be extrapolating wildly.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    KJW
    KJW is online now
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    The logic of going from a point to infinity in 13.7 billion years bets me.
    It isn't going from a point to infinity. This is a common misconception with regards to the big bang. Zero size does not imply a single point. The FLRW metric for an infinite universe started with infinite extent even though the volume was zero. One should not confuse topology and geometry. The infinite extent of the big bang is a topological notion; the zero size of the big bang is a geometrical notion; the big bang being a null three-dimensional space.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    All in all, all i'm trying to is when entropy reaches the point where everything is gone and only a single black hole or black holes exist then from the billions of years
    since it evaporates then finally releasing all of its potential energy would it be enough so that it can create a new universe. Since matter cannot be created or destroyed,
    you can convert mass into energy and energy into mass. So the potential of a super massive black hole that has the equivalent energy of the known universe within it
    when finally evaporates it should be more than enough to create a new universe.
    When you were talking about space time fluctuation around a black hole. I lost track that you were talking about Stephen Hawking's theory.
    okay currently the universe is ending due to entropy.
    we know how the universe started from a big bang from a singularity of energy expanding.
    when the universe and everything gets converted from matter into energy due to entropy creating black holes.
    over time and billions and trillions of years at one point when a black hole fully evaporates and if it is one massive one
    there should be more than enough energy released at one point to release that said energy or have another singularity of energy
    that could create a new universe.

    -- also i know the universe isn't infinite its finite and always expanding.
    so yeah okay i got wrong then hmm oh well.
    Last edited by rygaku; September 18th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    All in all, all i'm trying to is when entropy reaches the point where everything is gone and only a single black hole or black holes exist then from the billions of years
    since it evaporates then finally releasing all of its potential energy would it be enough so that it can create a new universe. Since matter cannot be created or destroyed,
    you can convert mass into energy and energy into mass. So the potential of a super massive black hole that has the equivalent energy of the known universe within it
    when finally evaporates it should be more than enough to create a new universe.
    I think its relative to the Black Holes size, and the universe is always expanding. Therefore is it likely for a black hole to suck up the whole universe? Probably not, referring back to Stephen Hawking's Black Body Radiation theory, that a Black hole will eventually lose its mass at some point due to the radiation.

    But I see what your saying, Black Holes may infact be a form of "recyclers" of the universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    This is all theory though, I know plenty of science people who don't agree with Stephen. Didn't he just recently say that black holes don't exist or something, I thought I saw that on BBC science..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    All in all, all i'm trying to is when entropy reaches the point where everything is gone and only a single black hole or black holes exist then from the billions of years
    since it evaporates then finally releasing all of its potential energy would it be enough so that it can create a new universe. Since matter cannot be created or destroyed,
    you can convert mass into energy and energy into mass. So the potential of a super massive black hole that has the equivalent energy of the known universe within it
    when finally evaporates it should be more than enough to create a new universe.
    I think its relative to the Black Holes size, and the universe is always expanding. Therefore is it likely for a black hole to suck up the whole universe? Probably not, referring back to Stephen Hawking's Black Body Radiation theory, that a Black hole will eventually lose its mass at some point due to the radiation.

    But I see what your saying, Black Holes may infact be a form of "recyclers" of the universe.
    that's roughly what i'm getting at, i just didn't explain it clearly the universe has order and with order this is chaos.
    Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order. So with this theory the universe will always be recycled. Ergo that
    when the end comes there is that point in time when that super massive black hole holding said energy will finally
    start expanding outwards again like with the creation of our current universe. However there is now way around it
    or avoiding entropy because we cannot jump from one universe to another its simply not in the realm of possibilities
    as of current scientific understanding. But gravitons maybe the key to that since they come in and out of our current
    dimension. But travel to a another dimension is dangerous and would require a massive amount of energy. The
    worse thing that could happen is if we end up in a universe that is having the same issue where is nearly the end, also
    a universe that is hardly developed any planets that can support life..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani View Post
    This is all theory though, I know plenty of science people who don't agree with Stephen. Didn't he just recently say that black holes don't exist or something, I thought I saw that on BBC science..
    yeah he did say that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    The logic of going from a point to infinity in 13.7 billion years bets me.
    It isn't going from a point to infinity. This is a common misconception with regards to the big bang. Zero size does not imply a single point. The FLRW metric for an infinite universe started with infinite extent even though the volume was zero. One should not confuse topology and geometry. The infinite extent of the big bang is a topological notion; the zero size of the big bang is a geometrical notion; the big bang being a null three-dimensional space.
    To me that is all too much to understand. I have no idea what that means sorry. Ill work on it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    so in theory it could work but in reality there really inst any proof of it can happen but when i get around to it.
    i should do the math and try to work it out. But the initial problem being i would only calculate what is observable
    and also i would also need to know other variables along with it the time its going to take for a super massive black
    hole to form, how long will it take to suck up most of the matter it can, then take what it sucked up and convert that
    into potential energy, then finally find the evaporation rate of said black hole. Because if black holes do recycle the
    universe that would be very interesting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,313
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order.
    What?

    So with this theory the universe will always be recycled.
    It's not a theory.

    when the end comes there is that point in time when that super massive black hole
    Are you forgetting (or ignoring) that a super massive black hole with everything in it is NOT the likely end?

    But travel to a another dimension is dangerous and would require a massive amount of energy. The worse thing that could happen is if we end up in a universe that is having the same issue where is nearly the end, also a universe that is hardly developed any planets that can support life..
    Apart from the fact that you appear to be seriously misusing the word "dimension" you're also (again) speculating wildly (without any support) and further shifting the entire topic from Physics into Personal Theories (or Pseudoscience. Or Trash).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order.
    What?

    So with this theory the universe will always be recycled.
    It's not a theory.

    when the end comes there is that point in time when that super massive black hole
    Are you forgetting (or ignoring) that a super massive black hole with everything in it is NOT the likely end?

    But travel to a another dimension is dangerous and would require a massive amount of energy. The worse thing that could happen is if we end up in a universe that is having the same issue where is nearly the end, also a universe that is hardly developed any planets that can support life..
    Apart from the fact that you appear to be seriously misusing the word "dimension" you're also (again) speculating wildly (without any support) and further shifting the entire topic from Physics into Personal Theories (or Pseudoscience. Or Trash).
    We're just having a discussion, don't insult him. Teach don't banter..
    Last edited by AndresKiani; September 21st, 2014 at 12:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order.
    What?

    So with this theory the universe will always be recycled.
    It's not a theory.

    when the end comes there is that point in time when that super massive black hole
    Are you forgetting (or ignoring) that a super massive black hole with everything in it is NOT the likely end?

    But travel to a another dimension is dangerous and would require a massive amount of energy. The worse thing that could happen is if we end up in a universe that is having the same issue where is nearly the end, also a universe that is hardly developed any planets that can support life..
    Apart from the fact that you appear to be seriously misusing the word "dimension" you're also (again) speculating wildly (without any support) and further shifting the entire topic from Physics into Personal Theories (or Pseudoscience. Or Trash).
    i mean this is all hypothetical i meant don't take it seriously.

    as far as a super massive black hole sucking up everything i thought about it and no it wouldn't. i should have stated the universe isn't stable because because of entropy, jumping from our dimension to another isn't going to happen, even if it was possible no.

    as far as anything goes.. yeah ill leave the forum now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order.
    What?

    So with this theory the universe will always be recycled.
    It's not a theory.

    when the end comes there is that point in time when that super massive black hole
    Are you forgetting (or ignoring) that a super massive black hole with everything in it is NOT the likely end?

    But travel to a another dimension is dangerous and would require a massive amount of energy. The worse thing that could happen is if we end up in a universe that is having the same issue where is nearly the end, also a universe that is hardly developed any planets that can support life..
    Apart from the fact that you appear to be seriously misusing the word "dimension" you're also (again) speculating wildly (without any support) and further shifting the entire topic from Physics into Personal Theories (or Pseudoscience. Or Trash).
    i mean this is all hypothetical i meant don't take it seriously.

    as far as a super massive black hole sucking up everything i thought about it and no it wouldn't. i should have stated the universe isn't stable because because of entropy, jumping from our dimension to another isn't going to happen, even if it was possible no.

    as far as anything goes.. yeah ill leave the forum now.
    Ah, don't leave the forum my brother. Don't worry about it, its just tough love. These guys had to deal with dry and uptight graduate school mentors for half a decade, its a cycle of life type of thing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order.
    What?
    Universe is unstable and the ending means of it being Entropy there is no escaping it.
    So with this theory the universe will always be recycled.
    It's not a theory. Yes i do agree its a theory and that just clicked for me.

    alright lets sort this out.
    when the end comes there is that point in time when that super massive black hole
    Are you forgetting (or ignoring) that a super massive black hole with everything in it is NOT the likely end?
    after thinking about you are right it wouldn't end everything but it would be the end for anything or any object that is within or near the gravitational pull.
    i also a forgot the smaller the black hole the stronger the gravitational for so that means for a larger one it would be weaker.

    But travel to a another dimension is dangerous and would require a massive amount of energy. The worse thing that could happen is if we end up in a universe that is having the same issue where is nearly the end, also a universe that is hardly developed any planets that can support life..
    Apart from the fact that you appear to be seriously misusing the word "dimension" you're also (again) speculating wildly (without any support) and further shifting the entire topic from Physics into Personal Theories (or Pseudoscience. Or Trash).
    other dimensions we could say they exist because of gravitons. but what if were wrong and we live in a multiverse still a theory but i would say no.
    The reality of parallel universes could exist because of our actions we have 3 options a we do said variable then there is 2 of me who does the opposite.
    but there needs to be more research done on said subject.


    i mean this is all hypothetical i meant don't take it seriously.

    as far as a super massive black hole sucking up everything i thought about it and no it wouldn't. i should have stated the universe isn't stable because because of entropy, jumping from our dimension to another isn't going to happen, even if it was possible no.

    as far as anything goes.. yeah ill leave the forum now.
    but what will happen when entropy finally breaks down everything what will happen even after it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,313
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Universe is unstable and the ending means of it being Entropy there is no escaping it.
    Thank you.
    I couldn't parse your earlier sentence - "Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order" - at all.

    i also a forgot the smaller the black hole the stronger the gravitational for so that means for a larger one it would be weaker.
    No.
    This isn't even close to being correct.
    The gravity depends on mass.
    Therefore the larger the black hole the more mass. Thus stronger gravity.

    other dimensions we could say they exist because of gravitons.
    Yes.
    But "dimension" doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.
    It's not a "separate plane of existence".

    The reality of parallel universes could exist because of our actions we have 3 options a we do said variable then there is 2 of me who does the opposite.
    but there needs to be more research done on said subject
    Any "research" will be purely hypothetical.
    We can't access "parallel universes" so they may as well not exist.

    i mean this is all hypothetical i meant don't take it seriously.
    So, since it's not meant to be taken seriously, it should be in Personal Theories or Pseudoscience?
    You aren't attempting to be scientific about it?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Universe is unstable and the ending means of it being Entropy there is no escaping it.
    Thank you.
    I couldn't parse your earlier sentence - "Chaos is going to win out chaos we have order" - at all.

    i also a forgot the smaller the black hole the stronger the gravitational for so that means for a larger one it would be weaker.
    No.
    This isn't even close to being correct.
    The gravity depends on mass.
    Therefore the larger the black hole the more mass. Thus stronger gravity.

    other dimensions we could say they exist because of gravitons.
    Yes.
    But "dimension" doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.
    It's not a "separate plane of existence".

    The reality of parallel universes could exist because of our actions we have 3 options a we do said variable then there is 2 of me who does the opposite.
    but there needs to be more research done on said subject
    Any "research" will be purely hypothetical.
    We can't access "parallel universes" so they may as well not exist.

    i mean this is all hypothetical i meant don't take it seriously.
    So, since it's not meant to be taken seriously, it should be in Personal Theories or Pseudoscience?
    You aren't attempting to be scientific about it?
    more of a silly what if because none of this could even happen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    KJW
    KJW is online now
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    The logic of going from a point to infinity in 13.7 billion years bets me.
    It isn't going from a point to infinity. This is a common misconception with regards to the big bang. Zero size does not imply a single point. The FLRW metric for an infinite universe started with infinite extent even though the volume was zero. One should not confuse topology and geometry. The infinite extent of the big bang is a topological notion; the zero size of the big bang is a geometrical notion; the big bang being a null three-dimensional space.
    To me that is all too much to understand. I have no idea what that means sorry. Ill work on it.
    It means you no longer have to think that a finite lifetime of the universe means a finite universe.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    KJW
    KJW is online now
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    what will happen when entropy finally breaks down everything what will happen even after it.
    What do you think entropy is?
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    what will happen when entropy finally breaks down everything what will happen even after it.
    What do you think entropy is?
    when the rules of natural order break down.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    what will happen when entropy finally breaks down everything what will happen even after it.
    What do you think entropy is?
    when the rules of natural order break down.
    My definition of entropy is randomness. Energy dispersal. That's my definition and how I understand it though
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    what will happen when entropy finally breaks down everything what will happen even after it.
    What do you think entropy is?
    when the rules of natural order break down.
    Now you are just making stuff up. I'm moving this to the personal theories section.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    KJW
    KJW is online now
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    What do you think entropy is?
    when the rules of natural order break down.
    Entropy is a measure of the number of distinct ways that a state can exist. For example, a text string consisting of three "A"s has only one way of existing ("AAA"), whereas a text string consisting of an "A", a "B", and a "C" has six ways of existing ("ABC", "BCA", "CAB", "ACB", "BAC", and "CBA"), and therefore has higher entropy. The second law of thermodynamics is simply the statement that a system tends towards the most probable state.
    There are no paradoxes in relativity, just people's misunderstandings of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    So, since it's not meant to be taken seriously, it should be in Personal Theories or Pseudoscience?
    You aren't attempting to be scientific about it?
    You don't believe in looking after the newbies do you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rygaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    What do you think entropy is?
    when the rules of natural order break down.
    Entropy is a measure of the number of distinct ways that a state can exist. For example, a text string consisting of three "A"s has only one way of existing ("AAA"), whereas a text string consisting of an "A", a "B", and a "C" has six ways of existing ("ABC", "BCA", "CAB", "ACB", "BAC", and "CBA"), and therefore has higher entropy. The second law of thermodynamics is simply the statement that a system tends towards the most probable state.
    Translation, Vibrational, and Rotational.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. A curious question of entropy
    By rygaku in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 18th, 2014, 09:58 PM
  2. A question about entropy
    By Daedalus in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: January 10th, 2013, 06:18 PM
  3. Entropy question
    By Arcane_Mathematician in forum Physics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
  4. Entropy question
    By Arcane_Mathematician in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
  5. Entropy
    By Wildstar in forum Physics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •