Notices

View Poll Results: Pick a number

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8294785628

    5 31.25%
  • 2758175961

    5 31.25%
  • 7938472903

    4 25.00%
  • 4091759280

    2 12.50%
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New Randomness Expieriment

  1. #1 New Randomness Expieriment 
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    309
    Ok, here it is. you have probobly heard of the randomness experiment. here is it again, with a little twist. instead of 1,2,3,and 4, im using random big numbers, and i will see if the curve is the same. if it is, i will conclude that the curve is due to the order the numbers are presented in. vote now!


    I don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it

    the road to succes is never paved or clearly marked
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    320
    u can conclude that my vote was because of the order 8) that the numbers are in because my choices usually are (the first of the list)

    this makes me think though... there is no such thing as randomness... 8) 8)


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by SealOtter
    this makes me think though... there is no such thing as randomness... 8) 8)
    Could very well be correct :wink:

    Yea it's getting increasingly likely that the order the options are presented in determines the outcome. Would be interesting to see what happens if the options could be presented in a different shape (options arranged in a circle for example), but that's probably impossible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    Quote Originally Posted by SealOtter
    this makes me think though... there is no such thing as randomness... 8) 8)
    Could very well be correct :wink:

    Yea it's getting increasingly likely that the order the options are presented in determines the outcome. Would be interesting to see what happens if the options could be presented in a different shape (options arranged in a circle for example), but that's probably impossible.
    I might be able too, since HTML is enabled. I might be able to get a poll in that way. ill try it now..

    ah it didnt work.. this doesnt take javascript........
    I don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it

    the road to succes is never paved or clearly marked
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Picking random numbers?? What all this about??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Guest
    So, what if anything was the purpose of this thread?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    The purpose is nothing less than trying to figure out whether humans can act randomly :wink:

    A computer program can be made which gives random output which results in a roughly equal distribution of choices. But can humans really do this better? The above poll should ideally give a 25%-25%-25%-25% outcome, but previous polls failed to do this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    So, what if anything was the purpose of this thread?
    what is the purpose of your post?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    The poll size is insufficient to be conclusive, as I remember it there are some formula to determine the sample size required in order to calculate the margin of error. Long since forgotten by me...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    The poll size is insufficient to be conclusive, as I remember it there are some formula to determine the sample size required in order to calculate the margin of error. Long since forgotten by me...
    True, but Randomness Experiment Part II actually came very close to this with over 50 votes. So given enough time we'll reach a good sample size, and we'll answer once and for all whether humans can act randomly or not 8)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Guest
    Curiously there is a mathematical probability that giving each person 3 votes might be more random, but even you can't do that!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •