Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Chucknorium
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 2 Post By stonecutter

Thread: misleading science

  1. #1 misleading science 
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    The future of our solar system depends upon the Sun and the Earth(also the Moon) is a home to humans. Humans think they will be able to colonise other planets in the Galaxy. I think this idea impossible. The reason is that no one can predict the life cycle of a star. Even a young star may blow up in a supernova. Only the Suns life cycle is predictable and hence life is possible only on Earth.


    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,828
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I think this idea impossible. The reason is that no one can predict the life cycle of a star.
    Predicting the life cycle of a star has nothing to do with whether or not we'll make it out into the galaxy.

    Only the Suns life cycle is predictable
    Er...
    no one can predict the life cycle of a star
    You DO know that the Sun is a star, don't you?

    and hence life is possible only on Earth.
    Unsupported supposition.


    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    The future of our solar system depends upon the Sun and the Earth(also the Moon) is a home to humans. Humans think they will be able to colonise other planets in the Galaxy. I think this idea impossible. The reason is that no one can predict the life cycle of a star. Even a young star may blow up in a supernova. Only the Suns life cycle is predictable and hence life is possible only on Earth.
    ~ Almost all of what you have said is wrong.
    A astronomer of any worthy experience can talk with you of Solar cycles and the life of Stars. The types of stars and the predicted life span is by observation and study well understood. Radio telescopes across planet Earth have been recording the changes of emissions from thousands of Stars.. We KNOW a great deal of what we study. Please understand that the near to us star ' The SUN' will support life on this planet without threat for a few billion years, No worries.. That will not be what takes humanity out. Search through some of the many free science sites to find and read of what we understand of stars.. It's lot's.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    The future of our solar system depends upon the Sun and the Earth(also the Moon) is a home to humans. Humans think they will be able to colonise other planets in the Galaxy. I think this idea impossible. The reason is that no one can predict the life cycle of a star. Even a young star may blow up in a supernova. Only the Suns life cycle is predictable and hence life is possible only on Earth.
    Dywyddyr did a very good job debunking your misconceptions. Let me pour some more cold water on your ideas: the Sun (a star) will last another 5 billion years. Humankind will not last anywhere close to that, a Hitler/Stalin/Putin/Ahmedinajad/Kim will emerge , one fully armed with WMDs. And lots of idiots will be ready to follow him, just as they followed/follow .... Hitler/Stalin/Putin/Ahmedinajad/Kim. It is sad to see that the most advanced being is also the most destructive and evil. So, no need to worry about the Sun extinction.... humankind will "manage" much sooner to....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    I want some useful links that really debunk my observations.anyone?
    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Look at his past posts and threads. Like this one:

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/trash...-god-moon.html

    He's not going to believe any scientific explanations. It's a waste of time to converse with him. I have no idea why he is even on this forum.
    exchemist likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I want some useful links that really debunk my observations.anyone?

    That statement boils down to a common crank catchphrase: "Prove me wrong!"
    It is up to you to support your statements; the onus lies on you.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I want some useful links that really debunk my observations.anyone?
    You're going to have to do a better job of explaining your point before we can debate it.

    I'm still not sure what exactly you're getting at.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    dThe reason is that no one can predict the life cycle of a star.

    Arguing from incredulity.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I want some useful links that really debunk my observations.anyone?
    Your main claim was that we cannot predict the life of stars. This is obviously wrong; they don't behave randomly.
    Hertzsprung–Russell_diagram
    Stellar nucleosynthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Does it seem like we're being deluged with idiots lately?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Quagma SpeedFreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I want some useful links that really debunk my observations.anyone?
    Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The Sun is the star at the center of the Solar System.
    "Ok, brain let's get things straight. You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's do this so I can go back to killing you with beer." - Homer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Does it seem like we're being deluged with idiots lately?
    Yes.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    I think nuclear fusion is not evenly distributed in the star. A part of the star may show uncontrolled fusion reaction resulting in disruption of the stellar stability.
    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I think nuclear fusion is not evenly distributed in the star. A part of the star may show uncontrolled fusion reaction resulting in disruption of the stellar stability.
    And what reason do you have for thinking that? What evidence or theory supports this view? Or is it, perhaps, just some random idea you made up?
    Howard Roark likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Laredo, TX, USA
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    And what reason do you have for thinking that? What evidence or theory supports this view? Or is it, perhaps, just some random idea you made up?
    He's just trying to mislead science. I think it was very courteous of him to confess his agenda in the thread's title.
    Strange and Daecon like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    200
    I request all the posters to gain knowledge about our SUN. As some scientists have said "Surprises are in store". I am definitely not against 'real science' but against speculative science. I apologize if I have given wrong impression about my intentions.
    believer in ahimsa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    As some scientists have said "Surprises are in store"
    Who?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,828
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I request all the posters to gain knowledge about our SUN.
    Something you have apparently failed to do.

    I am definitely not against 'real science' but against speculative science.
    And yet that's all you post (except when you resort to outright nonsense).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by parag29081973 View Post
    I am definitely not against 'real science' but against speculative science.
    Real science tells us that our sun is just another star.

    I apologize if I have given wrong impression about my intentions.
    No, don't worry. It is quite clear that your intention is simply to post uninformed nonsense.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    parag29081973 : We are observing our sun from just 150 million km away. It is so close That the telescopes radio wave sensors can sweep across the solar disk.. We can not do this with any other star they are all just single emission points.. I can tell you that all of the emissions of high energy x-ray and other inicators of fusion ( fission ) whatever.. are being generated in a very small area at the core of the Sun. A area a little larger than the Planet Jupiter ( from this distance..) Its actually about a quarter of the suns size.. NOT all over the solar disk at all. The gravity of the mass of the sun is what balance's the solar cycle.. The study of Sun like stars has been conducted over such a long time that a image of what type of star is our Sun has been arrived at. No guess work, no room for argument, known knowledge. Tested observed and tested some more.. Before you make such sweeping statements as you have.. please read some real science.. Do not research science on u-tube.. Look up and search out radio astronomy.. You may be amazed at what we can see.. and know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM
  3. The Great Global Warming Swindle not misleading
    By andre in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
  4. This Week in Science - Online Weekly Science Radio Show
    By Marshall Clark in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •