Notices
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Could nothing be something?

  1. #1 Could nothing be something? 
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    If matter is equal to 1 and antimatter is equal to -1 then matter plus antimatter equals 0. But how could energy be 0 if energy is something. If something could be nothing then could nothing be something? Could that be how the universe came to be? Because nothing became something? Am I on to something?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  

    Related Discussions:

     

  3. #2  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Matter and anti-matter both have mass, they annhilate to form energy (E=mc2) the total amount of mass-energy is unchanged you have simply changed an amount of mass, m, into an amount of Energy, E. Your +1 -1 = 0 has no physical meaning.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    Understood.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Matter and anti-matter both have mass, they annhilate to form energy (E=mc2) the total amount of mass-energy is unchanged you have simply changed an amount of mass, m, into an amount of Energy, E. Your +1 -1 = 0 has no physical meaning.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    Does matter collect until it become energy and does energy collect until it becomes matter? Can they change forms once they reach a degree?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Mass and energy are interconverted in high energy collisions and nuclear reactions. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but if enough matter "collects" it will eventually collapse under it's own gravity and eventually become dense enough for nuclear reactions to take place. This isn't my area of expertise though so I'll leave it for one of the physics experts to give you a better answer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    By "collects" I mean collects through gravity. But I think that gravity only applies to matter and antimatter. I do not know if gravity affects energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Mass and energy are interconverted in high energy collisions and nuclear reactions. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but if enough matter "collects" it will eventually collapse under it's own gravity and eventually become dense enough for nuclear reactions to take place. This isn't my area of expertise though so I'll leave it for one of the physics experts to give you a better answer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I do not know if gravity affects energy.
    It does, but I'll leave it to one of the physics guys to give you a full explanation, it's not an area I know a great deal about.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Nothing is nothing because nature abhors a vacuum.
    I don't know what causes gravity but I suspect it is actually another dimension in the timespace continuum that measure how fast space is being compressed, and yes guys, I do know how crank that sounds. But maybe the distortion of time and space is actually like a whirlpool in a sink and as spacetime heads for the drain it carries all the matter floating in it down the drain with it. Maybe a gravity well is just the same as what happens in a sink before enough water is draining to form the vortex and a black hole is when the water is drainig fast enough for you to see the drain hole at the bottom of the vortex. Maybe that is an answer to the question of why so many galaxies, and solar systems rotate.

    With water we can measure surface tension, pressure, and temperature. Flow is a derived measurement combining volume and speed.
    I wonder what the corresponding measures would be in a multidimensional continuum like spacetime.

    (excuse me, my side is hurting and my mind is not very clear at this moment)
    Last edited by dan hunter; February 2nd, 2014 at 07:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    Am I on to something?
    No, it's nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    wibble removed... my mind is not very clear at this moment)
    Evidently...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Nothing is nothing because nature abhors a vacuum.
    The clause following "because" is not an explanation in the scientific sense. It's a paraphrase of Aristotle. As such, it carries as much weight as the assertions of any random person you encounter on the internet.

    I don't know what causes gravity but I suspect it is actually another dimension in the timespace continuum that measure how fast space is being compressed, and yes guys, I do know how crank that sounds.
    Regrettably, that knowledge did not inhibit you from posting. Study GR for our current best explanation for what causes gravity. Your ignorance of it shouldn't be treated as carte blanche for just making up nonsense in its place. Lots of people have actually studied the subject in great detail, so you don't have to bear the burden yourself.

    But maybe the distortion of time and space is actually like a whirlpool in a sink and as spacetime heads for the drain it carries all the matter floating in it down the drain with it.
    If we're throwing out all rules of science, then why not just say that gravity is due to the action of a giant Electrolux -- because nature seemingly adores a vacuum, judging from its prevalence.

    (excuse me, my side is hurting and my mind is not very clear at this moment)
    There's no substitute for actual study.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I do not know if gravity affects energy.
    It does, but I'll leave it to one of the physics guys to give you a full explanation, it's not an area I know a great deal about.
    I am not a physics guy either, but Relativity gives matter and energy as being convertible. If you multiply all the mass in a system by the speed of light squared you get a measure of how much energy is available in that system. You can also measure how much energy results when you convert any amount of matter into energy.
    A little bit of mass multiplied by the speed of light squared gives a very large amount of energy.
    So the small amounts of energy we are used to dealing with do not weigh very much.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    That's basically what I said in post#2.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Nothing is nothing because nature abhors a vacuum.
    The clause following "because" is not an explanation in the scientific sense. It's a paraphrase of Aristotle. As such, it carries as much weight as the assertions of any random person you encounter on the internet.

    I don't know what causes gravity but I suspect it is actually another dimension in the timespace continuum that measure how fast space is being compressed, and yes guys, I do know how crank that sounds.
    Regrettably, that knowledge did not inhibit you from posting. Study GR for our current best explanation for what causes gravity. Your ignorance of it shouldn't be treated as carte blanche for just making up nonsense in its place. Lots of people have actually studied the subject in great detail, so you don't have to bear the burden yourself.

    But maybe the distortion of time and space is actually like a whirlpool in a sink and as spacetime heads for the drain it carries all the matter floating in it down the drain with it.
    If we're throwing out all rules of science, then why not just say that gravity is due to the action of a giant Electrolux -- because nature seemingly adores a vacuum, judging from its prevalence.

    (excuse me, my side is hurting and my mind is not very clear at this moment)
    There's no substitute for actual study.
    Ah Hah, an Electrulux creates a vacuum inside it which everything outside of it gets pushed into.
    Gravity supplies the force to create the air pressure nature needs to force all that stuff into the vacuum inside of the Electrolux machine.

    Thank you for your helpful analogy. I nnnever would have thought of it on my own.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    Dan, take a nap you're being a loon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Dan, take a nap you're being a loon.
    I think you are right, it might be the painkillers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    I know. Too bad. Unless, of course, nothing could be something!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    Am I on to something?
    No, it's nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    Mass causes the force of gravity, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    I don't know what causes gravity
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    Maybe there is a bipolar relation between two objects where the bigger on obtains, for lack of a better term, a positive charge and the smaller object obtains a negative charge, like what happens inside an atom between a proton and an electron, only the particles don't obtain a charge based on mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    I don't know what causes gravity
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    No this is not right at all, imagine you have three things of different sizes attracting each other gravitationally, if the largest one is positive, the smallest one is negative what is the third and why is it also attracted to both other bodies?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    To answer your question maybe the third object falls into some grey area. Its attraction to the other objects is also in a grey region, I guess. I think the right answer is that mass curves space time and that is why objects fall together, because space time curves into the objects.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    No this is not right at all, imagine you have three things of different sizes attracting each other gravitationally, if the largest one is positive, the smallest one is negative what is the third and why is it also attracted to both other bodies?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    You seem to be very confused, why did you bring "charge" into it in the first place? Why is this grey area needed? Your final sentence is basically correct so why did you bring up the other guff?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Masters Degree mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    698
    I used the word "charge" to represent an attraction between two objects. A grey area is needed because how else could you describe a bipolar relation between three objects. Lastly I brought up the other stuff just to attempt to make an argument for my idea, but I knew it was probably could not be saved. I guess I am basically confused!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    You seem to be very confused, why did you bring "charge" into it in the first place? Why is this grey area needed? Your final sentence is basically correct so why did you bring up the other guff?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,550
    You certainly seem to be, you are bringing together completely unrelated concepts in a random fashion with no real justification and without really explaining anything. Your posts are essentially word salad.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •