Notices
Results 1 to 94 of 94
Like Tree21Likes
  • 2 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By sir ir r aj
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By Stargate
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 2 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Stanley514
  • 2 Post By Stanley514

Thread: can imortals live forever!

  1. #1 can imortals live forever! 
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    can "mortals" live forever?

    i wonder if there is any medicine/technique/art/skill which cause one to live forever?

    i have an idea
    if we keep on replacing dying organs of any body with new "synthetic perfect organs" through "perfect organ transplanting machine" how long anybody can live in this way? eternity?

    please dont yell "why the hell should we live forever? it is boring"


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    i have an idea
    if we keep on replacing dying organs of any body with new "synthetic perfect organs" through "perfect organ transplanting machine" how long anybody can live in this way? eternity?

    That sounds an expensive way to stay alive, but I can imagine that you would survive longer if you replace your organs with new and healthy cells.
    Would it also be possible to replace your brain?

    This might interest you:
    Turritopsis nutricula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    I see your point, however, having children is maybe a better way to live forever as they would be flesh of your flesh, plus they would get a new total body and not just parts. Just another way to look at it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    can "mortals" live forever?

    i wonder if there is any medicine/technique/art/skill which cause one to live forever?

    i have an idea
    if we keep on replacing dying organs of any body with new "synthetic perfect organs" through "perfect organ transplanting machine" how long anybody can live in this way? eternity?

    please dont yell "why the hell should we live forever? it is boring"
    Does everybody get to live forever or just a few rich people? Either way, it will cause big problems for the human race as a whole.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    can "mortals" live forever?

    i wonder if there is any medicine/technique/art/skill which cause one to live forever?

    i have an idea
    if we keep on replacing dying organs of any body with new "synthetic perfect organs" through "perfect organ transplanting machine" how long anybody can live in this way? eternity?

    please dont yell "why the hell should we live forever? it is boring"
    by definition mortals cannot live forever. If anyone that is currently mortal achieves the ability to live forever they stop being mortal and become immortal.

    There are creatures on earth however that are functionally immortal. Meaning they do not age, so they do not die of age alone. They can however be killed by outside influences.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    can "mortals" live forever?
    Not unless the universe lasts forever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    There are creatures on earth however that are functionally immortal. Meaning they do not age, so they do not die of age alone. They can however be killed by outside influences.
    what creatures? some trees live 5000 years. do you refer to them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    i got the meaning, but scientific terminology was difficult to comprehend.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    can "mortals" live forever?
    Not unless the universe lasts forever.
    Then a true immortal must live outside the universe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    what about your bones...they aren't vital organs, but they wear out...so how can you be immortal and dysfunctional? A mind with no mobility would be more likely hell!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    what about your bones...they aren't vital organs, but they wear out...so how can you be immortal and dysfunctional? A mind with no mobility would be more likely hell!
    Have an army of nanobots running around your blood stream and body fixing everything. It be cool...you wouldn't even need to brush your teeth or shower.
    Bad Robot and babe like this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    i got the meaning, but scientific terminology was difficult to comprehend.
    It's a type of jelly fish. You cannot determine their age because after they go through the process of sexual maturity, they regress physically to being infants again and repeat the whole process. So they never get old.

    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Humans continue to live through the bloodline much the same way the jelly fishes do, the only difference is they change bodies. I may be wrong but as I see it immortality is one aspect of mortality, one part is the opposite of the other.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Humans continue to live through the bloodline much the same way the jelly fishes do, the only difference is they change bodies. I may be wrong but as I see it immortality is one aspect of mortality, one part is the opposite of the other.
    If that were the case the parent body would die as soon as the child is born. No my mother does not inhabit my body. She is squarely tucked away in her own and when her body dies, she will cease to exist.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Humans continue to live through the bloodline much the same way the jelly fishes do, the only difference is they change bodies. I may be wrong but as I see it immortality is one aspect of mortality, one part is the opposite of the other.
    If that were the case the parent body would die as soon as the child is born. No my mother does not inhabit my body. She is squarely tucked away in her own and when her body dies, she will cease to exist.

    And that is the bitterness/sweetness of mortality#
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    If that were the case the parent body would die as soon as the child is born.
    Not necessarily, have you noticed how much one looks like the parents the older one gets? When you think of it we are made with the same genetic material, the same spirit if you believe in it, even our traits are the same. I just think we live on in our off spring. I have more evidence proving I am my parents than not. How about you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    If that were the case the parent body would die as soon as the child is born.
    Not necessarily, have you noticed how much one looks like the parents the older one gets? When you think of it we are made with the same genetic material, the same spirit if you believe in it, even our traits are the same. I just think we live on in our off spring. I have more evidence proving I am my parents than not. How about you?
    You live in your offspring and we don't have memory of our past life? Just face it we made up of same traits as our parents(if not immediate) and that's because our parents share the X and Y that makes us,so do plants...and that doesn't mean we are immortal,it only mean that we are mortals with an ancestor,origin,family,etc.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    You live in your offspring and we don't have memory of our past life?
    Some people can remember thier past lives, others cannot remember.

    My point is, I think we are mortal and immortal at the same time; we are made of the same genetic material. Plants are the opposites of humans.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Plants are the opposites of humans.

    How so?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    how so?
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Plants are the opposites of humans.

    How so?
    We breath in what they breath out, we eat from them, they eat from us, our bodies are made from what they give us.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    If that were the case the parent body would die as soon as the child is born.
    Not necessarily, have you noticed how much one looks like the parents the older one gets? When you think of it we are made with the same genetic material, the same spirit if you believe in it, even our traits are the same. I just think we live on in our off spring. I have more evidence proving I am my parents than not. How about you?
    Having similar genetic material does not make you the same person. Are twins the same person? absolutely not.

    And spirit? Prove there is one and we can talk. Until then you are muttering gibberish and your hypothesis hangs on fairy tales.

    Every living thing on this planet, including plants and shit eating insects are made of cells carrying DNA. Every living thing is made of cells composed of non-living chemicals (base elements) and DNA which makes us alive. We are not so different from plants considering plants take some nutrition from the sun and some from dying organic material. We also consume organic material as well as metabolizing some nutrition from the sun (vitamin D).

    We are not opposite of any living thing, just different in our chemical make up.
    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    If that were the case the parent body would die as soon as the child is born.
    Not necessarily, have you noticed how much one looks like the parents the older one gets? When you think of it we are made with the same genetic material, the same spirit if you believe in it, even our traits are the same. I just think we live on in our off spring. I have more evidence proving I am my parents than not. How about you?
    Having similar genetic material does not make you the same person. Are twins the same person? absolutely not.

    And spirit? Prove there is one and we can talk. Until then you are muttering gibberish and your hypothesis hangs on fairy tales.

    Every living thing on this planet, including plants and shit eating insects are made of cells carrying DNA. Every living thing is made of cells composed of non-living chemicals (base elements) and DNA which makes us alive. We are not so different from plants considering plants take some nutrition from the sun and some from dying organic material. We also consume organic material as well as metabolizing some nutrition from the sun (vitamin D).

    We are not opposite of any living thing, just different in our chemical make up.
    I am not in dispute with you, I just see it a little differently, and that good.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Through centuries kings have vigorously searched Elixir /Nectar of life to prolong their life. Is there any historical sign to suggest that any of them had succedded?

    Even it is just a myth but still today like Alchemy (converting tin , iron etc to gold) this search for elixir is the passion of many.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    through centuries kings have vigorously searched Elixir /Nectar of life to prolong their life. is there any historical sign to suggest that any of them had succedded? i think it is just a myth.

    but like alchemy (converting tin , iron etc to gold) this search for elixir is the passion of many.
    You are correct, it is just a myth. If anyone had achieved immortality they would be very famous and very rich.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Would being immortal really be that great?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Would being immortal really be that great?
    Only if you have superpowers and fangs...
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Would being immortal really be that great?
    Only if you have superpowers and fangs...

    ... and sparkle when sunlight hits you and seduce socially awkward, one-dimensional teen girls.
    seagypsy likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Would being immortal really be that great?
    Only if you have superpowers and fangs...

    ... and sparkle when sunlight hits you and seduce socially awkward, one-dimensional teen girls.
    *laughing* just like a guy!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Being immortal will be boring.......I'd prefer living long with slow aging#
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Being immortal will be boring.......I'd prefer living long with slow aging#
    That works...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Being immortal will be boring.......I'd prefer living long with slow aging#
    That works...
    Sure
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Being immortal will be boring.......I'd prefer living long with slow aging#
    That works...
    Sure
    i would prefer die young. i have seen the agony of dying old people.
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    i would prefer die young. i have seen the agony of dying old people.
    Yes having a young body was nice and I've heard many young people say they didn't want to get old and die. It's easy to die young if you really want that. I predict you will die of old age the same as most of us will.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Being immortal will be boring.......I'd prefer living long with slow aging#
    That works...
    Sure
    i would prefer die young. i have seen the agony of dying old people.
    give me some figures.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Being immortal will be boring.......I'd prefer living long with slow aging#
    That works...
    Sure
    i would prefer die young. i have seen the agony of dying old people.
    Not all old people die that way! *S*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    true babe.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    replacement parts
    reminds me of
    "This is my grandfather's axe, my father replaced the handle, and I have replaced the head, but, this is my grandfather's axe."
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post

    give me some figures.
    my uncle is in critical condition since five years. begging to die. man this world is very harsh for old people.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post

    give me some figures.
    my uncle is in critical condition since five years. begging to die. man this world is very harsh for old people.

    I am sorry to hear that.
    Unfortunately, not all the countries are willing to give their citizens (who are in constant agony) the right to die.
    babe likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post

    give me some figures.
    my uncle is in critical condition since five years. begging to die. man this world is very harsh for old people.
    I am with Cogito Ergo Sum. We need to let our elderly die with dignity and their right to choose to die.
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post

    give me some figures.
    my uncle is in critical condition since five years. begging to die. man this world is very harsh for old people.
    Sorry about that. So you don't ωαηт to be ℓιкє your
    uncle so you'd ℓιкє to die by?(Give me some figure please.)
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post

    give me some figures.
    my uncle is in critical condition since five years. begging to die. man this world is very harsh for old people.
    Sorry about that. So you don't ωαηт to be ℓιкє your
    uncle so you'd ℓιкє to die by?(Give me some figure please.)
    you mean some statistical research on this? have you OLD Houses in Nigeria? if yes ,please just visit once.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merumario View Post

    give me some figures.
    my uncle is in critical condition since five years. begging to die. man this world is very harsh for old people.
    Sorry about that. So you don't ωαηт to be ℓιкє your
    uncle so you'd ℓιкє to die by?(Give me some figure please.)
    you mean some statistical research on this? have you OLD Houses in Nigeria? if yes ,please just visit once.
    no,not that. you said you will prefer to die young. so i ask for figures. do you prefer dieing at 40,50,60?
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Really, all you have to do is take your life at that age, after that you may not experience good health. Why are you afraid? Don't you think there is experience in living longer, or are you just afraid of suffering? We say the darndest thing at 28.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.

    I do not desire eternal life.

    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.
    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    What do you say to the idea that energy cannot die but can only go through change? Would that not mean that you cannot die but change to another energy form? The question would be, what would happen to your subjective consciousness?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.
    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    What do you say to the idea that energy cannot die but can only go through change? Would that not mean that you cannot die but change to another energy form? The question would be, what would happen to your subjective consciousness?

    If I die, then my consciousness would simply cease to exist.

    If I state it in Latin, it might sound deeper:
    Mors ultima linea rerum est.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I do not desire eternal life.

    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    Just think how many families with many children you could raise one after the other. Then all those immortal children would grow up and start on a series of families themselves. Well I'm sure you can see the possibilities of a serious over population problem in the near term.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I do not desire eternal life.

    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    Just think how many families with many children you could raise one after the other. Then all those immortal children would grow up and start on a series of families themselves. Well I'm sure you can see the possibilities of a serious over population problem in the near term.

    Overpopulation would not be a problem if space exploration is realized in the near future, in my opinion.
    Furthermore, what would the point be of reproduction if you are immortal?
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; October 20th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.
    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    What do you say to the idea that energy cannot die but can only go through change? Would that not mean that you cannot die but change to another energy form? The question would be, what would happen to your subjective consciousness?

    If I die, then my consciousness would simply cease to exist.

    If I state it in Latin, it might sound deeper:
    Mors ultima linea rerum est.
    But you would not die but change.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Furthermore, what would the point of be of reproduction if you are immortal?
    wow.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.
    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    What do you say to the idea that energy cannot die but can only go through change? Would that not mean that you cannot die but change to another energy form? The question would be, what would happen to your subjective consciousness?

    If I die, then my consciousness would simply cease to exist.

    If I state it in Latin, it might sound deeper:
    Mors ultima linea rerum est.
    But you would not die but change.

    How so?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    Come back in 15-20 years and tell us if you still think this...
    you got the essence of this thread. nobody wanna die.
    if i come back after 20 years, i shall prefer to live other 30 years. life of eternity is the desire of humankind.
    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    What do you say to the idea that energy cannot die but can only go through change? Would that not mean that you cannot die but change to another energy form? The question would be, what would happen to your subjective consciousness?

    If I die, then my consciousness would simply cease to exist.

    If I state it in Latin, it might sound deeper:
    Mors ultima linea rerum est.
    But you would not die but change.

    How so?
    You are energy, so death does not mean death but change, from the womb to the tomb means change.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    You are energy, so death does not mean death but change, from the womb to the tomb means change.

    I beg to differ.

    Death is the permanent cessation of all vital functions of an organism.
    The metabolism ceases and homeostasis is no longer preserved. The death of an organism is quite a remarkable change.

    Whilst the energy that was contained in the organism is not destroyed (but rather dissipated into the environment), it does not imply that the organism did not die. It is, in my opinion, erroneous to think that life is solely characterized by energy; order is also a characteristic of life.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    order is also a characteristic of life.
    what order?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    order is also a characteristic of life.
    what order?

    Order as in the arrangement of phospholipids in the cellular membrane, or the controlled gene expression in cells, or the regulated uptake or exocytosis of certain chemicals by carrier proteins or protein channels or vesicles, etc.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I do not desire eternal life.

    An unlimited supply of life means that it cannot be appreciated.
    Given eternity, everything that can be accomplished, will be accomplished. Beyond all achievements, there would only be limitless, pointless existence.
    Just think how many families with many children you could raise one after the other. Then all those immortal children would grow up and start on a series of families themselves. Well I'm sure you can see the possibilities of a serious over population problem in the near term.

    Overpopulation would not be a problem if space exploration is realized in the near future, in my opinion.
    Furthermore, what would the point be of reproduction if you are immortal?
    Okay, we pass a law that states if you want immortality you cannot ever have any children. Not before or after. That's the kind of choice that might thin the ranks of the immortals. Many people would not give up having children for immortality.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Okay, we pass a law that states if you want immortality you cannot ever have any children. Not before or after. That's the kind of choice that might thin the ranks of the immortals. Many people would not give up having children for immortality.

    Would that law not violate Art. XVI, 1 of the UDHR?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    watch movie "Tuck Everlasting". it tells what problems a mortal can have when he achieves imortality
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Okay, we pass a law that states if you want immortality you cannot ever have any children. Not before or after. That's the kind of choice that might thin the ranks of the immortals. Many people would not give up having children for immortality.

    Would that law not violate Art. XVI, 1 of the UDHR?
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    watch movie "Tuck Everlasting". it tells what problems a mortal can have when he achieves imortality
    Short preview at link below.

    Ben Kingsley Tuck Everlasting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.
    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Yes, the question is, what kind of death are you talking about? If you are talking about mortal flesh, what would make him imortal if he can die?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.
    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Yes, the question is, what kind of death are you talking about? If you are talking about mortal flesh, what would make him imortal if he can die?

    If an immortal individual can die, then (s)he is not immortal.
    Immortality is the inability to die, or a state of unending existence.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.
    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Yes, the question is, what kind of death are you talking about? If you are talking about mortal flesh, what would make him imortal if he can die?

    If an immortal individual can die, then (s)he is not immortal.
    Immortality is the inability to die, or a state of unending existence.
    A state of unending existing would be when matter changes from one state to the next. I am saying change must be tied to some sort of consciousness.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Immortality is such a can of worms. But how about this form of immortality, you get to remember your past lives but your body still dies and your soul moves to a new born to start again?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Immortality is such a can of worms. But how about this form of immortality, you get to remember your past lives but your body still dies and your soul moves to a new born to start again?
    Ok, sounds fair enough, but what is it you are calling your soul?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Immortality is such a can of worms. But how about this form of immortality, you get to remember your past lives but your body still dies and your soul moves to a new born to start again?
    Ok, sounds fair enough, but what is it you are calling your soul?
    First let me say for the record I do not believe in souls. But for the purpose of this dialog a soul is whatever part of you that can exist when your physical body dies. In some religions the soul gets treated to Heaven or Hell in others it's reincarnated in other life forms. Cults that claim to help you remember your past lives assume they were all human. But some beliefs say they can be any kind of animal or even aliens on other worlds. It might be a good thing you can't remember them all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Immortality is such a can of worms. But how about this form of immortality, you get to remember your past lives but your body still dies and your soul moves to a new born to start again?
    Ok, sounds fair enough, but what is it you are calling your soul?
    First let me say for the record I do not believe in souls. But for the purpose of this dialog a soul is whatever part of you that can exist when your physical body dies. In some religions the soul gets treated to Heaven or Hell in others it's reincarnated in other life forms. Cults that claim to help you remember your past lives assume they were all human. But some beliefs say they can be any kind of animal or even aliens on other worlds. It might be a good thing you can't remember them all.
    In other word you have not made up your mind what it is?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post

    In other word you have not made up your mind what it is?
    In my life I've read thousands of Scifi & fantasy stories several of which dealt with various soul themes. Liked most of them, so I refuse to pick a favorite.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post

    In other word you have not made up your mind what it is?
    In my life I've read thousands of Scifi & fantasy stories several of which dealt with various soul themes. Liked most of them, so I refuse to pick a favorite.
    I have heard so many different versions of what people say they are, to me it seems they are speculating and unsure. What I did was turned myself inside out and recognized what I am. I have given myself a physical body made of flesh, a spiritual body made of spirit or a type of antimatter, a mind made of spirit and matter. I have one conscience, I call the seer, I don't know what it’s origin or what its made of. I have come to know them and have a really good feeling.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Now I am 28. I wana die in my 50s or maybe 60s. Living after 55 is a burden unless you are healthy.
    THat is when life STARTS!! *laughing*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    Immortality is such a can of worms. But how about this form of immortality, you get to remember your past lives but your body still dies and your soul moves to a new born to start again?
    Ok, sounds fair enough, but what is it you are calling your soul?
    First let me say for the record I do not believe in souls. But for the purpose of this dialog a soul is whatever part of you that can exist when your physical body dies. In some religions the soul gets treated to Heaven or Hell in others it's reincarnated in other life forms. Cults that claim to help you remember your past lives assume they were all human. But some beliefs say they can be any kind of animal or even aliens on other worlds. It might be a good thing you can't remember them all.
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  79. #78  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    The soul as robot said is that which can exist without the physical body.ie when the body dies the soul stays and from that point,there are different ideas as to what happens to the soul.

    Plato believed that the soul will find another body again. While Aristotle showed that;if the body dies the soul dies.
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

  80. #79  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.

    I second that; I have not seen evidence in favor of the existence of a soul.
    Even defining this concept has been troublesome.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  81. #80  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.
    I lub ya anyhow as my great neph says!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  82. #81  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.

    I second that; I have not seen evidence in favor of the existence of a soul.
    Even defining this concept has been troublesome.
    When I sing a song.....or play a character....the words of the song or the play come from an inner part of me that I do not classify as from my brain. It comes from a different source although my brain is connected (be nice now *chuckle) . The story of that song...or the words I am speaking in that character I feel with what I call "my soul". It isn't something that sits there...it is something damn ...explaining this to scientists is difficult....that comes from the depth of myself. I am sorry. I do not know how to explain it. I just call it my "soul".
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  83. #82  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.

    I second that; I have not seen evidence in favor of the existence of a soul.
    Even defining this concept has been troublesome.
    When I sing a song.....or play a character....the words of the song or the play come from an inner part of me that I do not classify as from my brain. It comes from a different source although my brain is connected (be nice now *chuckle) . The story of that song...or the words I am speaking in that character I feel with what I call "my soul". It isn't something that sits there...it is something damn ...explaining this to scientists is difficult....that comes from the depth of myself. I am sorry. I do not know how to explain it. I just call it my "soul".

    Your anecdote resembles this definition of 'soul':
    "the ability of a person to feel kindness and sympathy for others, to appreciate beauty and art, etc."
    (Merriam-Webster)
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  84. #83  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.

    I second that; I have not seen evidence in favor of the existence of a soul.
    Even defining this concept has been troublesome.
    When I sing a song.....or play a character....the words of the song or the play come from an inner part of me that I do not classify as from my brain. It comes from a different source although my brain is connected (be nice now *chuckle) . The story of that song...or the words I am speaking in that character I feel with what I call "my soul". It isn't something that sits there...it is something damn ...explaining this to scientists is difficult....that comes from the depth of myself. I am sorry. I do not know how to explain it. I just call it my "soul".

    Your anecdote resembles this definition of 'soul':
    "the ability of a person to feel kindness and sympathy for others, to appreciate beauty and art, etc."
    (Merriam-Webster)
    Mahalo....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  85. #84  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    You and I do not define soul in the same way. Mine has no religious connotation at all. I believe it is your core, who you are, what you believe, (sorry theatre is about making people believe) how you act, treat others. Sir BAD BAD Robot!! *S*
    I'm not to picky on how others want to define the soul, because I'm not a believer in the soul, except as an abstract concept that can accommodate many a good plot.

    I second that; I have not seen evidence in favor of the existence of a soul.
    Even defining this concept has been troublesome.
    When I sing a song.....or play a character....the words of the song or the play come from an inner part of me that I do not classify as from my brain. It comes from a different source although my brain is connected (be nice now *chuckle) . The story of that song...or the words I am speaking in that character I feel with what I call "my soul". It isn't something that sits there...it is something damn ...explaining this to scientists is difficult....that comes from the depth of myself. I am sorry. I do not know how to explain it. I just call it my "soul".
    I think you are doing fine, most of it cannot be explained anyway. I think every one has to make up a version of how self is made up and stick to it.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  86. #85  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    yeah, by making him mortal. quite a common theme of movies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  87. #86  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    yeah, by making him mortal. quite a common theme of movies.
    Better yet, make his immortality feel like an eternity of death. Torture and dismember him on a daily basis. yeah yeah that oughta fix him. That will show him who's boss.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  88. #87  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    yeah, by making him mortal. quite a common theme of movies.
    Better yet, make his immortality feel like an eternity of death. Torture and dismember him on a daily basis. yeah yeah that oughta fix him. That will show him who's boss.

    Please tell me you were being sarcastic.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  89. #88  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    yeah, by making him mortal. quite a common theme of movies.
    Better yet, make his immortality feel like an eternity of death. Torture and dismember him on a daily basis. yeah yeah that oughta fix him. That will show him who's boss.
    You are spoiling the illusion of imortals. Lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  90. #89  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    yeah, by making him mortal. quite a common theme of movies.
    Better yet, make his immortality feel like an eternity of death. Torture and dismember him on a daily basis. yeah yeah that oughta fix him. That will show him who's boss.

    Please tell me you were being sarcastic.
    um... sure .. ok
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  91. #90  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    No, because we are making being immortal a choice to which you would have to agree to in a legally binding contract.

    Can an immortal individual get the death penalty?
    yeah, by making him mortal. quite a common theme of movies.
    Better yet, make his immortality feel like an eternity of death. Torture and dismember him on a daily basis. yeah yeah that oughta fix him. That will show him who's boss.

    Please tell me you were being sarcastic.
    um... sure .. ok

    seagypsy and babe like this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  92. #91  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,094
    if we keep on replacing dying organs of any body with new "synthetic perfect organs" through "perfect organ transplanting machine" how long anybody can live in this way? eternity?
    There are too many "if". For now it is difficult to imagine a synthetic organ which would be more reliable than a natural one or even close to it in reliability. It is not difficult to imagine a human which lives without any serious disease or organ malfunction to 90 - 100 years. In the same time there is no car which wouldn't require some major repair and parts replacement in 5 - 10 years. There is an easy explanation - majority of living creatures have mechanisms of self-recovery and self-maintenance while anything mechanic doesn't repair itself (especially on micro level) and requires repair or replacement even more often. So people would need to invent completely new science of how to create a "mechanic life" which is unbelievably difficult task for now. There is also major problem of how to integrate those parts which are synthetic and those which are still alive. People with artificial heart do not live commonly for more than couple of years. A few mechanical organs simultaneously, will create tremendous strain on organism and it will instantly fail. Brain is also aging and you cannot replace you brain and nervous system. Even though there is claimed some drugs against of Alzheimer disease you cannot reverse aging and dying out your brain cells completely. One theme for science fiction is a cyborg with human brain and completely artificial body. I'm afraid it is extremely difficult to achieve since you need to have blood generating organs to supply brain with blood, you need some chemical filter for blood similar to liver, you need artificial lungs to supply blood with oxygen, you need a heart to pump blood to your brain, you need digestion system to supply blood with nutrients. Also you would need to connect nervous system of your brain with artificial body what is not clear enough how to do even in theory.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  93. #92  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    if we keep on replacing dying organs of any body with new "synthetic perfect organs" through "perfect organ transplanting machine" how long anybody can live in this way? eternity?
    There are too many "if". For now it is difficult to imagine a synthetic organ which would be more reliable than a natural one or even close to it in reliability. It is not difficult to imagine a human which lives without any serious disease or organ malfunction to 90 - 100 years. In the same time there is no car which wouldn't require some major repair and parts replacement in 5 - 10 years. There is an easy explanation - majority of living creatures have mechanisms of self-recovery and self-maintenance while anything mechanic doesn't repair itself (especially on micro level) and requires repair or replacement even more often. So people would need to invent completely new science of how to create a "mechanic life" which is unbelievably difficult task for now. There is also major problem of how to integrate those parts which are synthetic and those which are still alive. People with artificial heart do not live commonly for more than couple of years. A few mechanical organs simultaneously, will create tremendous strain on organism and it will instantly fail. Brain is also aging and you cannot replace you brain and nervous system. Even though there is claimed some drugs against of Alzheimer disease you cannot reverse aging and dying out your brain cells completely. One theme for science fiction is a cyborg with human brain and completely artificial body. I'm afraid it is extremely difficult to achieve since you need to have blood generating organs to supply brain with blood, you need some chemical filter for blood similar to liver, you need artificial lungs to supply blood with oxygen, you need a heart to pump blood to your brain, you need digestion system to supply blood with nutrients. Also you would need to connect nervous system of your brain with artificial body what is not clear enough how to do even in theory.
    Pamela Anderson...oops that isn't an organ!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  94. #93  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,094
    can "mortals" live forever?
    Currently the longest-lived creatures on Earth such as some trees are capable to live to couple of thousands of years only. There are some trees: A Great Basin Bristlecone Pine (Pinus longaeva) is measured by ring count to be 5063 years old.[29] This is the oldest known tree in North America, and the oldest known living individual tree in the world. List of long-living organisms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So principally, if you master genetic engineering pretty well you could create human which lives at least up to 5.000 of years. In order to do this you still would have to solve many serious problems. For example: create a human which would never have a cancer, or methods to find and cure any cancer immediately and without scars. And make very disease-prone human. If usual modern humans would age very slowly, then on average they would live 200 years only, because of cancer. Also it depends on human lifestyle. Even if you have humans who are not aging, humans still will die regularly because of wars, murders, accidents, suicides and global catastrophes. But I think that even if modern scientists will find some elixir of youth, the rulers will not let common people to have it. It will means overpopulation and other problems that they will not let to happen.
    babe and sir ir r aj like this.
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  95. #94  
    New Member mamad123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    semarang, central java
    Posts
    2
    Depend on the situation, some people believes that lobster is biologicaly immortal, but the predator is considered. thus immortality could occur where the intereferences is zero, seems impossible
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Life: Can We Live Forever?
    By Beyondthought in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: April 29th, 2013, 08:54 PM
  2. Existing forever
    By coolaak in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
  3. Live forever ?
    By Cat1981(England) in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
  4. Could Humans Live Forever?
    By monkeytennis in forum Biology
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: December 31st, 2006, 04:07 PM
  5. We will live forever
    By ps2huang in forum Biology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •