Notices
Results 1 to 77 of 77
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 3 Post By AlexG
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 2 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By One beer
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 2 Post By One beer
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum

Thread: Why we sleep

  1. #1 Why we sleep 
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Don't know if anyone caught this rather interesting news story about the nature of sleep, it seems researchers have discovered the main reason behind sleeping is to allow gaps to open up in our brains to allow the daily toxins that have built up to be litterally washed away.

    Brain cleans itself during sleep: study - SCI_TECH - Globaltimes.cn


    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    The study was in mice.

    Lulu Xie, the study's first author, spent two years in training mice to relax and fall asleep.
    Dedication.


    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    The study was in mice.

    Lulu Xie, the study's first author, spent two years in training mice to relax and fall asleep.
    Dedication.
    Hey Alex did I get hold of the wrong end of stick, was this news story only suggesting it works that way in mice then?
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    The authors are suggesting it happens that way in humans, but they've only studied mice.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Ah right cheers, so it's probarbly a bit early to start taking their conclusions as definitive just yet, or at least until more thorough research has been conducted.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Don't know if anyone caught this rather interesting news story about the nature of sleep, it seems researchers have discovered the main reason behind sleeping is to allow gaps to open up in our brains to allow the daily toxins that have built up to be litterally washed away.

    Brain cleans itself during sleep: study - SCI_TECH - Globaltimes.cn
    I think we sleep because we don't have anything better to do...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    How do you train mice to relax and go to sleep...sing lullaby's to them?
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    How do you train mice to relax and go to sleep...sing lullaby's to them?

    I suppose the method is elucidated in the article,
    but I cannot access the article, so I cannot answer that question.
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; October 22nd, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    "Congratulations Mac! After 8 long years and 1/4 of million dollars, you finally have your Ph.D!....so what are doing with it?"
    "I sing to mice until they go to sleep"
    Ascended likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    "Congratulations Mac! After 8 long years and 1/4 of million dollars, you finally have your Ph.D!....so what are doing with it?"
    "I sing to mice until they go to sleep"

    If that does not lead to a Nobel Prize, then I do not know what does.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    The authors are suggesting it happens that way in humans, but they've only studied mice.
    Probably not so far fetched, sleeping is very ubiquitous among animals likely evolving some 500+ million years ago; we are in that club.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Where do we go when we sleep? I can tell you its pretty dark where we go, on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep?
    I usually go to my bedroom.

    on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    Because remaining conscious while sleeping is, apart from being pretty difficult, sort of oxymoronic.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep? I can tell you its pretty dark where we go, on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    to make our lives more interesting...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep? I can tell you its pretty dark where we go, on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    to make our lives more interesting...
    So do you sleep a lot?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep?
    I usually go to my bedroom.

    on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    Because remaining conscious while sleeping is, apart from being pretty difficult, sort of oxymoronic.
    Well I gues you have to give thanks you have a bedroom. So because its difficult you give up? Have you ever tried it when you were not asleep?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep?
    I usually go to my bedroom.
    A much better place to go, vs. into oncoming traffic.
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Ascended, seagypsy and Daecon like this.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep?
    I usually go to my bedroom.

    on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    Because remaining conscious while sleeping is, apart from being pretty difficult, sort of oxymoronic.
    Well I gues you have to give thanks you have a bedroom. So because its difficult you give up? Have you ever tried it when you were not asleep?
    sleep is the opposite of being conscious. If you are awake, you are not sleeping. This is what dywyddyr is saying. It's sort of like how a light bulb is either on or off. It cannot be both at the same time.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Where do we go when we sleep? I can tell you its pretty dark where we go, on top of that we lose consciouness. Why do we lose consciousness?
    to make our lives more interesting...
    So do you sleep a lot?
    only if I don't have better things to do
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    Ascended likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    I guess when you actually think about the idea of the brain being able to expand and contract really doesn't seem that remarkable given that pretty much any part of the rest us can swell up or shrink, it's just the idea of 60% does seem a rather staggering amount and the fact that seems to becoming as relatively new information, surely the brain has been studied for decades if not centuries. But your point about headache and swelling, is it the shrinkage that makes it feel better after sleep I wonder or could it be the cleaning aspect, the removal of the unwanted toxins that have built up.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    I guess when you actually think about the idea of the brain being able to expand and contract really doesn't seem that remarkable given that pretty much any part of the rest us can swell up or shrink, it's just the idea of 60% does seem a rather staggering amount and the fact that seems to becoming as relatively new information, surely the brain has been studied for decades if not centuries. But your point about headache and swelling, is it the shrinkage that makes it feel better after sleep I wonder or could it be the cleaning aspect, the removal of the unwanted toxins that have built up.
    I have heard people say they entered a room and for some reason they felt their head grew. I aslo want to think the whole body expands and contract, I agree that number sounds big though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    So because its difficult you give up? Have you ever tried it when you were not asleep?
    I think you sort of missed the point. sleep and consciousness are mutually exclusive.
    When I said "pretty difficult" it's on a similar order of difficulty as being dead and alive at the same time.
    By definition sleep means loss of consciousness.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    So because its difficult you give up? Have you ever tried it when you were not asleep?
    I think you sort of missed the point. sleep and consciousness are mutually exclusive.
    When I said "pretty difficult" it's on a similar order of difficulty as being dead and alive at the same time.
    By definition sleep means loss of consciousness.
    Ok got you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    I guess when you actually think about the idea of the brain being able to expand and contract really doesn't seem that remarkable given that pretty much any part of the rest us can swell up or shrink, it's just the idea of 60% does seem a rather staggering amount and the fact that seems to becoming as relatively new information, surely the brain has been studied for decades if not centuries. But your point about headache and swelling, is it the shrinkage that makes it feel better after sleep I wonder or could it be the cleaning aspect, the removal of the unwanted toxins that have built up.
    I have heard people say they entered a room and for some reason they felt their head grew.
    I think that happens alot at suprise parties when people see all the friends there or are going to collect an award , but on a more serious note I wonder just how much expansion can safely take place within the confines of the skull, because I can't imagine that has much potential for expansion.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    I guess when you actually think about the idea of the brain being able to expand and contract really doesn't seem that remarkable given that pretty much any part of the rest us can swell up or shrink, it's just the idea of 60% does seem a rather staggering amount and the fact that seems to becoming as relatively new information, surely the brain has been studied for decades if not centuries. But your point about headache and swelling, is it the shrinkage that makes it feel better after sleep I wonder or could it be the cleaning aspect, the removal of the unwanted toxins that have built up.
    I have heard people say they entered a room and for some reason they felt their head grew.
    I think that happens alot at suprise parties when people see all the friends there or are going to collect an award , but on a more serious note I wonder just how much expansion can safely take place within the confines of the skull, because I can't imagine that has much potential for expansion.
    That I find a good question. Maybe someone can pick up on it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    I guess when you actually think about the idea of the brain being able to expand and contract really doesn't seem that remarkable given that pretty much any part of the rest us can swell up or shrink, it's just the idea of 60% does seem a rather staggering amount and the fact that seems to becoming as relatively new information, surely the brain has been studied for decades if not centuries. But your point about headache and swelling, is it the shrinkage that makes it feel better after sleep I wonder or could it be the cleaning aspect, the removal of the unwanted toxins that have built up.
    I have heard people say they entered a room and for some reason they felt their head grew.
    I think that happens alot at suprise parties when people see all the friends there or are going to collect an award , but on a more serious note I wonder just how much expansion can safely take place within the confines of the skull, because I can't imagine that has much potential for expansion.
    Not unless we have more empty space than we realize. I have notice that airheads almost never get head aches. that's why they are always cheerful and in a good mood.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What puzzles me slightly about this study is that it has been widely reported and is all over the internet, yet surely if this study does have such relevance, as all the hype seems to suggest, then how come we haven't discovered this before. The idea that our brains could be shrinking at all when we sleep, let alone the 60% shrinkage observed in the mouse brains, certainly seems like something that should have already been know about, so is this totally new or have any such studies ever been conducted before as surely there must be some lead up to this study.
    If brains really do shrink while we sleep that could explain why when I go without sleep my head actually feels like my brain is swelling and headache medicine has little or no effect on it, but sleeping relieves it.
    I guess when you actually think about the idea of the brain being able to expand and contract really doesn't seem that remarkable given that pretty much any part of the rest us can swell up or shrink, it's just the idea of 60% does seem a rather staggering amount and the fact that seems to becoming as relatively new information, surely the brain has been studied for decades if not centuries. But your point about headache and swelling, is it the shrinkage that makes it feel better after sleep I wonder or could it be the cleaning aspect, the removal of the unwanted toxins that have built up.
    I have heard people say they entered a room and for some reason they felt their head grew.
    I think that happens alot at suprise parties when people see all the friends there or are going to collect an award , but on a more serious note I wonder just how much expansion can safely take place within the confines of the skull, because I can't imagine that has much potential for expansion.
    Not unless we have more empty space than we realize. I have notice that airheads almost never get head aches. that's why they are always cheerful and in a good mood.
    Sg. I am killing myself with laughter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Bachelors Degree One beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    442
    A sleep feature I find fascinating is that certain creatures, such as Swifts and Dolphins sleep with just one side of their brain at a time. The Swifts because they spend their entire lives flying (except when nesting), Dolphins, so they can swim to the water surface to breathe.

    So one side of the brain, one eye and presumably one ear, stay awake while the other side sleeps. Then it all swaps over to the other side.

    Amazing !


    I wonder - (I only have basic scientific knowledge of sleep) - if sleep is used by the brain to sift through the day's experiences and file memories? Which might be why young babies and teenagers sleep for very long periods, whereas older people need much less sleep. (And the memory filing idea might explain dreaming?)

    Animals deprived of sleep eventually die, however - and sleep deprivation is used as torture - so the brain cleaning theory might be correct. Is it the Glia cells that do the cleaning?


    OB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    The other side of the sleep theory is that we tank up on energy at nights when we sleep, what kind of fuel do we refill with, and why do we do that in the dark?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    You tell me, it sounds like something you've just made up.
    It does not matter if I just made it up or not, do you see it that way? if you do not why not?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    It does not matter if I just made it up or not,
    This is the stupidest thing I've read for a while, congratulations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    do you see it that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    if you do not why not?
    Because there is no evidence for it as YOU'VE JUST MADE IT UP (see how stupid the first bit is now)
    This is the stupidest thing I've read for a while, congratulations.
    Thank you, I find you very kind. Not often I meet such refined people, good to know there are real people left. Lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    There are quite a few on my ignore list, off you go to join them.

    That is quite an understatement.
    I remember that I told you that your CIC must be way off the charts.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    There are 47 people on my ignore list! Although to be fair most of them (over half) have since been banned or were sock puppets who have also gone, there are probably only 3 or 4 "active" or "regular" posters on there. Most of them are cranks or seagulls who drift in drop shit and disappear for weeks...

    Well, at least I am not in your ignore list (yet).
    Sidenote: Due to your (quite explicit) replies when arguing with cranks, you have aided to extend my vocabulary of the English language. Thank you for that!
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    The other side of the sleep theory is that we tank up on energy at nights when we sleep, what kind of fuel do we refill with, and why do we do that in the dark?
    What???
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    I've heard that is a test of fluency. Can you insult someone like a native speaker
    Hab SoSlI' Quch!

    (Klingon for "Your mother has a smooth forehead".)
    KALSTER and seagypsy like this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    The other side of the sleep theory is that we tank up on energy at nights when we sleep, what kind of fuel do we refill with, and why do we do that in the dark?
    What???
    Just calm down, I can rephrase the question if you are having a hard time comprehending. When you wake up in the morning from a good night sleep you feel refreshed or don't you? I am asking the question. It feels like refueling because I feel powered up and full of energy. What is the energy that I take in to make me feel that way? And why is it done in the dark of night?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    The reason we sleep at night is because we are daytime predators. Our eyes don't function very well at night, so hunting and gathering would be far less efficient and dangerous at that time. It's a better survival strategy to hunker down somewhere safe, and let our muscles and body rebuild and replenish itself.
    Ascended likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Unfortunately I often meet intellectually lazy guff-merchants who would rather make stuff up than actually do some f***ing research. There are quite a few on my ignore list, off you go to join them.
    the people on your ignore list are now cutting themselves in tears...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Well, at least I am not in your ignore list (yet).
    I don't think there's any danger of that -- your posts are rational and well thought out
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Sidenote: Due to your (quite explicit) replies when arguing with cranks, you have aided to extend my vocabulary of the English language. Thank you for that!
    I've heard that is a test of fluency. Can you insult someone like a native speaker

    I doubt it. I cannot do it on command, nor do I want to violate the Forum Guidelines.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    How do you train mice to relax and go to sleep...sing lullaby's to them?
    well I am a bird and bovine entertainer...I could add....mice
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    How do you train mice to relax and go to sleep...sing lullaby's to them?

    I suppose the method is elucidated in the article,
    but I cannot access the article, so I cannot answer that question.

    I have gained access to the article, but the method is not elucidated in the article.
    The researchers have only reported how they put the mice to sleep (via the intraperitoneal administration of ketamine/xylazine (KX)).
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Unfortunately I often meet intellectually lazy guff-merchants who would rather make stuff up than actually do some f***ing research. There are quite a few on my ignore list, off you go to join them.
    the people on your ignore list are now cutting themselves in tears...
    Blackscorp, Do not pay that guy any mind I can smell his ignorance through my monitor. he has ingnored so much people that they are now ignoring him. He is the light of the world and everyone is not worthy but his higness.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Blackscorp, Do not pay that guy any mind I can smell his ignorance through my monitor.
    Bearing in mind that out of the two of you, you & PhDemon, the only one so far to have displayed - consistently - ignorance is you then you're barking up the wrong tree.
    And compounding your ignorance by dismissing him so cavalierly.
    babe likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    The other side of the sleep theory is that we tank up on energy at nights when we sleep, what kind of fuel do we refill with, and why do we do that in the dark?
    What???
    Just calm down,
    Are you, or are related to Michael Winner by any chance?
    Daecon likes this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Bachelors Degree One beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    442
    Ladies, ladies; please go and argue out in the playground !



    Back to the thread perhaps?
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    How do you train mice to relax and go to sleep...sing lullaby's to them?
    well I am a bird and bovine entertainer...I could add....mice
    I just got the mental image of you doing this:

    babe likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Bachelors Degree One beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    442
    The other side of the sleep theory is that we tank up on energy at nights when we sleep, what kind of fuel do we refill with, and why do we do that in the dark?
    I have heard the theory that sleep developed due to the night periods on earth:-

    It is dark, we can't do anything useful, (because we don't have good night sight), our body needs to repair itself and perhaps organise the brain, so possibly sleep evolved to allow these things to happen?

    As I say; animals deprived of sleep eventually die, so it must be essential for some reason or another.

    OB
    Ascended and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    How do you train mice to relax and go to sleep...sing lullaby's to them?
    well I am a bird and bovine entertainer...I could add....mice
    I just got the mental image of you doing this:

    you weren't supposed to TELL!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by One beer View Post
    The other side of the sleep theory is that we tank up on energy at nights when we sleep, what kind of fuel do we refill with, and why do we do that in the dark?
    I have heard the theory that sleep developed due to the night periods on earth:-

    It is dark, we can't do anything useful, (because we don't have good night sight), our body needs to repair itself and perhaps organise the brain, so possibly sleep evolved to allow these things to happen?

    As I say; animals deprived of sleep eventually die, so it must be essential for some reason or another.

    OB
    You are not saying humans do not die when deprived of sleep are you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    I think the reason is because we feel tired, feel trapped.
    From our birth is affected by this view.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I think the reason is because we feel tired, feel trapped.
    From our birth is affected by this view.
    Tired yes, but trapped? How do you reach that conclusion? If I feel trapped sleep is the last thing I'd be able or willing to do.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    I sleep because I am tired and my brain and body need rest in order to rejuvenate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I think the reason is because we feel tired, feel trapped.
    From our birth is affected by this view.
    Tired yes, but trapped? How do you reach that conclusion? If I feel trapped sleep is the last thing I'd be able or willing to do.
    I use the wrong word, it should be sleepy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Oh and I also sleep, because I become a very grumpy ginger when I don't.


    Does everyone get grumpy when they haven't slept well?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Grumpy is my default state -- it just gets worse when I don't sleep
    I am married to Grumpy....but somehow I can always make him laugh....be it at me or at himself.....usually at moi.....I have no problem making fun of myself....and I'm so freaking honest with people (in a nice but direct way, if someone is major pissing me off) well...I get myself into trouble....not easy being a ginger....

    I shall now have to start calling you Mr. Grumpy. You aren't though. You often help me understand things, in a genuine way with no condensation! I appreciate you, Mr. GRUMPY!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I shall now have to start calling you Mr. Grumpy. You aren't though. You often help me understand things, in a genuine way with no condensation! I appreciate you, Mr. GRUMPY!
    I occasionally drip sarcasm but rarely form condensation, someone needs to buy a dictionary. [/condescension]
    ok ok ok ok ok!! I screwed up!! Sue me...but you can't have my kids!! *Laughing* I stand CORRECT Mr. GRUMPY!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    oh and love the drip sarcasm!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    sleep is some women stuff
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Oh and I also sleep, because I become a very grumpy ginger when I don't.


    Does everyone get grumpy when they haven't slept well?
    Yes, owing up to habit, not only do I get grumpy, I hate being woken up when I am not finished sleeping.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Oh and I also sleep, because I become a very grumpy ginger when I don't.


    Does everyone get grumpy when they haven't slept well?
    Yes, owing up to habit, not only do I get grumpy, I hate being woken up when I am not finished sleeping.
    DItto...makes me DOUBLE GRUMPY!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    I always thought sleep (and perchance dreaming) were the brain's equivalent of defragmenting the hard drive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    I always think the more we sleep the more stupid we get
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Forum Bachelors Degree One beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    442
    Hi Stargate,

    You are not saying humans do not die when deprived of sleep are you?
    No, I just don't have any knowledge of that. Has it been done? I sincerely hope not.


    OB



    Daecon, that's what I reckon too - which as I say might explain dreaming.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    I always thought sleep (and perchance dreaming) were the brain's equivalent of defragmenting the hard drive.
    Ditto
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    sleep is some women stuff
    BS, why do I get the idea that you do not know the woman in you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    I always thought sleep (and perchance dreaming) were the brain's equivalent of defragmenting the hard drive.
    You could be right why not. There might be more reasons its very hard to tell.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  71. #70  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    sleep is some women stuff
    BS, why do I get the idea that you do not know the woman in you?
    I killed her
    Reply With Quote  
     

  72. #71  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    sleep is some women stuff
    BS, why do I get the idea that you do not know the woman in you?
    I killed her
    My goodness, I wanna cry, you must be alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  73. #72  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    sleep is some women stuff
    BS, why do I get the idea that you do not know the woman in you?
    I killed her
    My goodness, I wanna cry, you must be alone.
    funny that you need to cry for me...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  74. #73  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    sleep is some women stuff
    BS, why do I get the idea that you do not know the woman in you?
    I killed her
    My goodness, I wanna cry, you must be alone.
    funny that you need to cry for me...
    I am sad for you, I want to cry for you dead woman.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  75. #74  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    sleep is some women stuff
    BS, why do I get the idea that you do not know the woman in you?
    I killed her
    My goodness, I wanna cry, you must be alone.
    funny that you need to cry for me...
    I am sad for you, I want to cry for you dead woman.
    I got it that's why I said what I said
    Reply With Quote  
     

  76. #75  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    For more information, you might want to watch this video:
    Sleep: Why We Need It and What Happens Without It - YouTube
    babe likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  77. #76  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    For more information, you might want to watch this video:
    Sleep: Why We Need It and What Happens Without It - YouTube
    Yea, a lot of information, however, in the end it seems we need it but we cannot directly tell what really happens.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  78. #77  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    For more information, you might want to watch this video:
    Sleep: Why We Need It and What Happens Without It - YouTube
    Yea, a lot of information, however, in the end it seems we need it but we cannot directly tell what really happens.

    Which implies that scientists still have a lot of work to do.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Sleep
    By TimeLord in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: September 25th, 2012, 10:51 PM
  2. Why do we sleep?
    By could147 in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: July 30th, 2012, 03:27 PM
  3. Not enough sleep
    By newnothing in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM
  4. Sleep......
    By Dimension in forum Biology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
  5. sleep
    By AlexP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: August 9th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •