Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: F35 vs. F22

  1. #1 F35 vs. F22 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    165
    I'm just wondering how the two planes pair up to each other? Is one superior to the other?
    It's my understanding that they both provide totally different combat roles and therefore cannot be compared.

    Comments?


    Thinking of the question is greater than knowing the answer...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    4
    The F-35 was intended for ground attack and vertical/short takeoff. It can take off on very short runways at the expense of maneuvrability (comparatively - it would still kill any plane other than the F-22 9 times out of 10 without breaking a sweat). The F-22 is designed for air superiority, and would beat the F-35 in a close-up dogfight. At long range, since they are both stealthy, it would probably be a stalemate.


    whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you! -Nikita Kruschev
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman DesertRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    In my opinion the F-35 is better than the F-22. But I can't understand why one would need to build F-35's right now. The F-22 is the best air superiority fighter in the world and will continue to be for decades to come.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    I do believe the f-35 was intended to take the harrier's place its kinda like the A-10 it doesnt need to be very manueverable because its designed to support ground forces, whereass the f-22's role is more along the lines of f-16 and f-15 which is air superiority.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7
    Hi guys - new member here.

    Just to add a bit to this post - don't the US have an export ban on F-22s. Whereas the F-35 is set to serve with the US military, but also the Royal Navy and Australian Air Force (to name two).

    So - could this be one reason why the construction/ production of the F-35 is still going ahead, even if the F-22 might be the better fighter?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5
    if the RAF have the F35 then it could mean 2 things, either it is a good plane, or it is cheap.

    F35 and F22 have different roles? So it depends on the situation.
    All I do in my life is .....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7
    Kardiff,
    No plans at the moment for the RAF to operate JSF (as they have a growing fleet of Typhoons!), but Royal Navy set to operate it from about 2013/2014 I think.

    No doubt it'll be a good aircraft

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5
    fair point, Royal navy would not be happy to be called RAF...

    but still my point is that the Navy / RAF have both a history of good planes, they are usual sold to other parts of the world, so if the RAF / Navy have any plane, it is usually a good one! (please do not tell me the whole list of failures I am sure there are a few).
    All I do in my life is .....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    EVERYBODY is planning to buy F-35s. The list includes the UK, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, Turkey, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Israel, Singapore, and Brazil...at the moment. India is also thinking about it

    As for the F-35 vs. the F-22, the U.S. has always been into having large numbers of relatively cheap "multi-role" fighters that can do both air-to-air combat and air-ground strikes, and a smaller number of much more expensive dedicated "air superiority" fighters whose only job is shooting down enemy jets. At the moment the F-16 is our cheap, multi-role fighter and the F-15 is our expensive air superiority fighter. The plan is to replace the F-16s with F-35s and replace the F-15s with F-22s. Usually many countries who have friendly relations with the US end up buying a bunch of whatever cheap multi-role fighter the US is using for their own airforce - which is why half the world uses the F-16, and so many countries are planning to buy the F-35.

    The F-35 is $83 million/plane, while the F-22 is $138 million/plane.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifor Refugee
    EVERYBODY is planning to buy F-35s. The list includes the UK, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, Turkey, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Israel, Singapore, and Brazil...at the moment. India is also thinking about it

    As for the F-35 vs. the F-22, the U.S. has always been into having large numbers of relatively cheap "multi-role" fighters that can do both air-to-air combat and air-ground strikes, and a smaller number of much more expensive dedicated "air superiority" fighters whose only job is shooting down enemy jets. At the moment the F-16 is our cheap, multi-role fighter and the F-15 is our expensive air superiority fighter. The plan is to replace the F-16s with F-35s and replace the F-15s with F-22s. Usually many countries who have friendly relations with the US end up buying a bunch of whatever cheap multi-role fighter the US is using for their own airforce - which is why half the world uses the F-16, and so many countries are planning to buy the F-35.

    The F-35 is $83 million/plane, while the F-22 is $138 million/plane.
    Good post! :-D
    http://www.armedforces-int.com/proje...ke-fighter.asp
    is a good resource for info on the JSF, while there's some recent info on the F-22 here: http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/...nt-to-guam.asp,

    Incidentally, F-22 price given in the last one is $160m each, compared to approx $110-115 mil (I seem to remember reading) per JSF.

    Good value?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5
    When will the F35 be ready?
    All I do in my life is .....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7
    Kardiff,

    There's three versions of JSF - F-35A, B + C - not sure if they will enter service together or what? Take it you mean with the US Mil ?

    Anyone?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13 When will the F-35 come into production? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    United States Air Force Academy
    Posts
    2
    For the US Military, The F-35C is scheduled for first flight in mid-2009. The F-35A fighter is expected to enter service in 2010, the F-35B in 2012

    There are lots of interesting facts here about the F-35, if you want to check out it's specs.

    http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/

    On a separate note, I had heard a rumor that the F-22 was originally chosen over the F-35 because the F-35 had yet to hammer out some of it's kinks with its vertical take-off capabilities when contracts rolled around. In short, whenever it took off in sandy conditions (like a desert), it sandblasted it's whole underside and removed its stealth capability, making it ineffective. Can anyone substantiate this or will it remain a rumor?[/url]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Re: When will the F-35 come into production? 
    Forum Sophomore timel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Golasso
    For the US Military, The F-35C is scheduled for first flight in mid-2009. The F-35A fighter is expected to enter service in 2010, the F-35B in 2012

    There are lots of interesting facts here about the F-35, if you want to check out it's specs.

    http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/

    On a separate note, I had heard a rumor that the F-22 was originally chosen over the F-35 because the F-35 had yet to hammer out some of it's kinks with its vertical take-off capabilities when contracts rolled around. In short, whenever it took off in sandy conditions (like a desert), it sandblasted it's whole underside and removed its stealth capability, making it ineffective. Can anyone substantiate this or will it remain a rumor?[/url]

    I have already seen compressor of helicopter that were completly sandblasted due to sand. Desert operation are quite tough on machines. They try to make the airflow less linear so that the sand get less into compressors. It does reduce the problem.
    Now that's applied to turbine.

    Recently I took off (I'm a flight instructor) from a quite sandy runway and even though I keept the airplane moving as much as I could, it was quite rough on propeller. So I can immagine what it could do on a F-35. (it would make sens)


    Last of all, F-22 is amazing. I haven't seen flying capabilities of F-35. But F-22 has a maniability that goes beyond immagination. It must be quite rought on pilots
    A pilot lives in a world of perfection, or not at all.

    Richard S. Drury,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Sophomore timel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    A pilot lives in a world of perfection, or not at all.

    Richard S. Drury,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    135
    F-22>F-35 in air to air. F-35 is better in every other way. The F-35 has seen small and minimal action in Iraq. The F-35 was built to replace the harrier and supplement the A-10 and along with the new stealthbomber maybe phase out the tired bomber workhouse/total g B-52 stratofortress!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by the man of science
    F-22>F-35 in air to air. F-35 is better in every other way. The F-35 has seen small and minimal action in Iraq. The F-35 was built to replace the harrier and supplement the A-10 and along with the new stealthbomber maybe phase out the tired bomber workhouse/total g B-52 stratofortress!
    The F35 has seen no deployment in Iraq, or anywhere else for that matter. It isn't even scheduled to hit the production line until 2011, and the increasing delays are making that look optimistic.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA, VA
    Posts
    102
    what bugs me is the similarities. the F-35 just looks like a F-22 modified for VTAL and close air support. as for replacing the A-10, i hope not. the A-10 is the Beast of air support.

    http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/f-22_raptor.pl
    http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/x-35_jsf.pl
    Taken Down, With Hearts Alive
    Our Hearts Alive
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19 Cost effectiveness 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    The F-22 is the dominant fighter undoubtedly. The gov't needed to create a plane that could lower costs by using minimal modifications for the Navy, AF, and Marines all to be able to use. The F-22 just cost too much. Lockheed Martin, used a lot of similar design aspects from the F-22 and transferred it to the F-35 because they worked so well. The F-35 is still a much more superior fighter plane than anything else out there aside from the F-22, but the F-35 has the revolutionary air intake tube thingy, which sets it far above the Harrier in terms of stability and prevention of the common problems that the old VTOL planes had.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    53
    there both good planes
    the more science you know, the less crap you get.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    933
    Makes about as much sense as comparing a Warthog to an Falcon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman Renegade322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia Pennsylvania
    Posts
    19
    About it having not seen action, it has but only one or two missions used as combat tests before it hits full-scale production, which (my step-father sells seals to many aero-space companies) seems to be in preparation still since they have order a very large shipment to be completed by March 2010
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •