Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: approché par défaut

  1. #1 approché par défaut 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Bonjour,

    Je cherche la traduction en Anglais de l'expression:

    "approché par défaut"

    Merci de vos conseils.
    Cordialement.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: approché par défaut 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ThV..
    Bonjour,

    Je cherche la traduction en Anglais de l'expression:

    "approché par défaut"

    Merci de vos conseils.
    Cordialement.
    Peut être:

    "calculated to the nearest decimal point"

    ??


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

    Ce traducteur en ligne devrait aider, si vous pouvez comprendre que j'alors naturellement qu'il . je ne parle pas français d'ailleurs, je suppose que vous .

    i don't speak anything other than english but i thought this would be a good chance to test just whether the online translators around the web are accurate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wallaby
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

    Ce traducteur en ligne devrait aider, si vous pouvez comprendre que j'alors naturellement qu'il . je ne parle pas français d'ailleurs, je suppose que vous .

    i don't speak anything other than english but i thought this would be a good chance to test just whether the online translators around the web are accurate.
    The result of the translation website is:

    "approached by defect"

    Does it mean something for you?
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    not a thing, perhaps some alternate meaning not on the translator exists.

    depends on the context i guess, i found one message on google groups where mention was made to 'Decimal approximations' and 'realities' along with the phrase you seek the meaning of.

    however searching for defect in wikipedia for math related terms produced this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defect_%28geometry%29
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wallaby
    not a thing, perhaps some alternate meaning not on the translator exists.
    The use of "defect" is inappropriate in my context.

    so my question requires always answer.

    Thank you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Pour donner un example:
    Theorem: Any convergent sequence in a metric space is a Cauchy sequence.

    Let us notice however that the reciprocal is not true, i.e. a sequence can be a Cauchy sequence but without convergence. For example: The sequence of decimal values "approchées par défaut" of √2 is a Cauchy sequence in Q.

    Comment le traduire dans ce cas ?
    Merci de vos conseils.
    Cordialement
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,620
    Salut, ThV..!

    Looking at your example, I think the translation may be "approached from below" (or possibly "(approached) with decreasing error (= defect)"?).

    Your author is inviting you to consider the sequence:
    1
    1.4
    1.41
    1.414
    ......
    1.4121356237.....

    which is a Cauchy sequence in Q, because the difference between the nth and the (n+1)th terms is always greater than the difference between the (n+1)th and the (n+2)th terms. This is the definition of a Cauchy sequence! But it is obviously not convergent.

    (I once had a math teacher who called him "Cowtchie", it drove me crazy)

    By the way, Wallaby's babel-thing made no more sense than "pas d'il-y-a une que nous", a bit of schoolboy nonsense even Wallaby could "translate" (it's a trick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Salut, ThV..!

    Looking at your example, I think the translation may be "approached from below" (or possibly "(approached) with decreasing error (= defect)"?).

    Your author is inviting you to consider the sequence:
    1
    1.4
    1.41
    1.414
    ......
    1.4121356237.....

    which is a Cauchy sequence in Q, because the difference between the nth and the (n+1)th terms is always greater than the difference between the (n+1)th and the (n+2)th terms. This is the definition of a Cauchy sequence! But it is obviously not convergent.

    (I once had a math teacher who called him "Cowtchie", it drove me crazy)

    By the way, Wallaby's babel-thing made no more sense than "pas d'il-y-a une que nous", a bit of schoolboy nonsense even Wallaby could "translate" (it's a trick)

    Yes it is the meaning, but I meet difficulties to translate me.

    Your propositions make sense, indeed.

    But maybe "rounded down" could match also. What do you think about?
    ------
    ps: What does it mean "Cowtchie"?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by ThV..
    ------
    ps: What does it mean "Cowtchie"?!
    His teacher mispronounced his name in a funny way.

    or

    Son professeur mal prononcé le nom d'une manière drôle

    Was that "lost in translation"?

    Everything sounds cool in french.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,620
    Je crois que non.

    "rounded down" signifie, par example, tu prends 1.4142 = 1.414, et 1.414 = 1.41 etc. en d'autres termes, on coup le digit decimal dernier. Ou on en commence? Lequel est le digit dernier de √2?

    Suppose que c'est possible. On descend a 1 comme-ca, evidement. Ceci n'est pas une suite Cauchy (lis-tu ma derniere poste pour comprendre pourquoi).

    "Cowtchie" is a very bad (English) way of pronouncing Cauchy - in the same spelling I will say "Cooshie", which I think is closer?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Je crois que non.

    "rounded down" signifie, par example, tu prends 1.4142 = 1.414, et 1.414 = 1.41 etc. en d'autres termes, on coup le digit decimal dernier. Ou on en commence? Lequel est le digit dernier de √2?

    Suppose que c'est possible. On descend a 1 comme-ca, evidement. Ceci n'est pas une suite Cauchy (lis-tu ma derniere poste pour comprendre pourquoi).

    "Cowtchie" is a very bad (English) way of pronouncing Cauchy - in the same spelling I will say "Cooshie", which I think is closer?
    Okay I agree with you. Thank you so much. Th.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    Quote Originally Posted by ThV..
    ------
    ps: What does it mean "Cowtchie"?!
    His teacher mispronounced his name in a funny way.

    or

    Son professeur mal prononcé le nom d'une manière drôle

    Was that "lost in translation"?

    Everything sounds cool in french.

    nice blog, MacGyver1968 !!

    By the way, I suppose you speak about the movy: "Lost in translation".

    There is not really a translation which makes sense, besides in france the movy kept the english title. But if you want a translation, it means literally: "Perdu dans la traduction".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    C'est quoi le titre en francais, en fait?

    P.S. C'est cool de trouver un autre francais sur les forums.
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The P-manator
    C'est cool de trouver un autre francais sur les forums.
    France is the cesspool under the forums?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Bachelors Degree The P-manator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    474
    Is that what the translator told you?
    Pierre

    Fight for our environment and our habitat at www.wearesmartpeople.com.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Guest
    No it's a joke, a typical Englishman might guess that as a translation.

    Looks something like "Cool to find another French speaker on the forums"

    Is that correct? (Did French at school but that was waaaayyyyy back!).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by The P-manator
    C'est quoi le titre en francais, en fait?

    P.S. C'est cool de trouver un autre francais sur les forums.
    Le titre est inchangé sur les affiches en france: "Lost in translation"
    Salut.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by The P-manator
    C'est quoi le titre en francais, en fait?

    P.S. C'est cool de trouver un autre francais sur les forums.
    en france, ils ont gardé le titre anglais.
    Salut
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    No it's a joke, a typical Englishman might guess that as a translation.

    Looks something like "Cool to find another French speaker on the forums"

    Is that correct? (Did French at school but that was waaaayyyyy back!).
    Yes it's correct
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by The P-manator
    C'est cool de trouver un autre francais sur les forums.
    France is the cesspool under the forums?

    Cesspool??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Salut, ThV..!

    Looking at your example, I think the translation may be "approached from below" (or possibly "(approached) with decreasing error (= defect)"?).

    Your author is inviting you to consider the sequence:
    1
    1.4
    1.41
    1.414
    ......
    1.4121356237.....

    which is a Cauchy sequence in Q, because the difference between the nth and the (n+1)th terms is always greater than the difference between the (n+1)th and the (n+2)th terms. This is the definition of a Cauchy sequence! But it is obviously not convergent.

    (I once had a math teacher who called him "Cowtchie", it drove me crazy)

    By the way, Wallaby's babel-thing made no more sense than "pas d'il-y-a une que nous", a bit of schoolboy nonsense even Wallaby could "translate" (it's a trick)
    Hello,

    I chose your expression:
    "approached from below".
    I hope it's ok.
    Thanks you Guitarist.
    Th
    ps: someone proposed "calculated to the lower-nearest decimal point", but such an expression seems too complicated, and I am not sure that it is valid in english. (Your proposition is simpler).
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •