Notices
Results 1 to 58 of 58
Like Tree25Likes
  • 1 Post By Mayflow
  • 3 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By MindlessMath
  • 1 Post By MindlessMath
  • 1 Post By dan hunter
  • 1 Post By MagiMaster
  • 1 Post By Guitarist
  • 1 Post By YellowKazooie8
  • 2 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 2 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By MagiMaster
  • 1 Post By GiantEvil
  • 1 Post By pzkpfw
  • 1 Post By GiantEvil

Thread: Infinity between 0 and 1

  1. #1 Infinity between 0 and 1 
    Forum Freshman DevPhysics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    19
    Hello everybody. (0,1) . A number range. But when you take a number in this range, it can go forever. like 1/2, 1/24248319321479234791414857126412... . It will get closer to 0 but never will be 0?


    Last edited by DevPhysics; June 29th, 2014 at 03:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein;
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    44
    Yes, there are infinitely many numbers inbetween 0 and 1.

    I think there's a video about it on YouTube. I'll go search for it and edit this reply.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmyLeESQWGw

    Interesting stuff to think about!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    40
    Try to answer this!!!
    If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?
    If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath View Post
    Try to answer this!!!
    If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?
    If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    I would venture to guess it is because you did not stop your finger at the infinite number of places. From a math perspective, fractions can also have infinite places when turned into decimal. 1/3 or PI for example.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath View Post
    Try to answer this!!!
    If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?
    If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!

    You have broken mathematics. Stop doing that.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    You have broken mathematics. Stop doing that.
    That made my day!!!
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath View Post
    Try to answer this!!!If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    I would venture to guess it is because you did not stop your finger at the infinite number of places. From a math perspective, fractions can also have infinite places when turned into decimal. 1/3 or PI for example.
    I have never really put any thought into that question, so your guess is as good as mine! It is a good brain teaser though.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by DevPhysics View Post
    Hello everybody. (0,1) . A number range. But when you take a number in this range, it can go forever. like 1/2, 1/24248319321479234791414857126412... . It will get closer to 0 but never will be 0?
    Actually that number will not ever get any closer to 0 than 1/2424831932147923479141485712641299999999...
    If you want to approach 0 you need something more like 1/999...
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    That's not right. 1/X will approach 0 as long as X increases. 1.X won't, but that's something else entirely.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,614
    So.... we are all content that the "smallest" number not zero in the real (open) interval (0,1) is rational?

    Umm...
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    There are infinite numbers between 1 and 0. Also, there are infinite natural numbers and the fractions between them. So... that means that there are infinities bigger than others?

    NO. They are infinity.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    There are infinite numbers between 1 and 0. Also, there are infinite natural numbers and the fractions between them. So... that means that there are infinities bigger than others?
    Yes. And the proof is remarkably simple.
    Dywyddyr and umbradiago like this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist View Post
    So.... we are all content that the "smallest" number not zero in the real (open) interval (0,1) is rational?
    I'm pretty sure it isn't. But I'm not sure how to prove it...
    umbradiago likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    There are infinite numbers between 1 and 0. Also, there are infinite natural numbers and the fractions between them. So... that means that there are infinities bigger than others?
    Yes. And the proof is remarkably simple.
    Infinity is infinity. You can't do math with such numbers (like, infinity x 2, or infinity x infinity). There is no such thing as bigger infinities because if there was, it wouldn't be infinity. It is a rather simple logic
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    It is a rather simple logic
    As I say, there is a very simple proof you are wrong. But we know from your past that you are not interested in reality if it contradicts your beliefs.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    Infinity is infinity.
    But not all infinities are the same.

    You can't do math with such numbers (like, infinity x 2, or infinity x infinity).
    Oh dear...
    Someone (no names mentioned) has apparently never heard of transfinite mathematics.

    There is no such thing as bigger infinities because if there was, it wouldn't be infinity.
    Wrong.

    It is a rather simple logic
    Here's your problem.
    While you're pretty good at simple, you're not very good at logic.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    There are infinite numbers between 1 and 0. Also, there are infinite natural numbers and the fractions between them. So... that means that there are infinities bigger than others?
    Yes. And the proof is remarkably simple.

    Where can I find it?
    umbradiago likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Where can I find it?
    Cantor's diagonal argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    umbradiago likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Where can I find it?
    Cantor's diagonal argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That is pretty Strange to me
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Try mapping the reals between 0 and 1 to all natural (whole) numbers.
    It can be shown that there are more numbers between 0 and 1 than there are whole numbers, yet the number of whole numbers is infinite.
    How One Infinity Can Be Bigger Than Another
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Where can I find it?
    Cantor's diagonal argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That is pretty Strange to me
    But as it uses real logic (rather than "this is what I believe so I will call it logic") it is an unassailable proof.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Where can I find it?
    Cantor's diagonal argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Try mapping the reals between 0 and 1 to all natural (whole) numbers.
    It can be shown that there are more numbers between 0 and 1 than there are whole numbers, yet the number of whole numbers is infinite.
    How One Infinity Can Be Bigger Than Another

    Thank you for the links!
    It clarified a lot (although the theoretical proof presented on Wikipedia is quite abstract, but that is due to my limited mathematical knowledge).
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; March 31st, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Here's a YouTube video (from an actual mathematician) about the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvOZm0d4H0. I think it explains things fairly well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    So this Is why the hound never catches the fox. That's what I thought, too. I don't know Math. just math.
    Question: After 27 halving's of matter, we arrive at the atom, no ? And the Quantum begins. Is this correct ?
    Sagan is the source.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Half a meter 27 times and you reach something around the thickness of a cell membrane: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2^-27+meters

    If you double a hydrogen atom's width 27 times, you get something about the size of an ant: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...ydrogen+widths, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_...itude_(length)
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,273
    Okay, the troll is gone. Can we have a rational discussion about The Reals now...

    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath
    Try to answer this!!!
    If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?
    If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclid
    αʹ. Σημεῖόν ἐστιν, οὗ μέρος οὐθέν.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    So.... we are all content that the "smallest" number not zero in the real (open) interval (0,1) is rational?

    Umm...
    No such element as the "smallest number not zero" may exist in the Reals, else they be denumerable.
    Did I get that partially right at least?
    dan hunter likes this.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath View Post
    Try to answer this!!!If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    I would venture to guess it is because you did not stop your finger at the infinite number of places. From a math perspective, fractions can also have infinite places when turned into decimal. 1/3 or PI for example.
    I have never really put any thought into that question, so your guess is as good as mine! It is a good brain teaser though.
    I would like to attempt an explanation for this problem, since it caused me to join this forum when I was about to go on with my regular web surfing.


    I imagined two arguments, that I hope you kind people will examine:


    (1) Iīll just say that it is basicly true, in the very same terms of the question. It takes an infinite amount of time to do so, since a second can be divided samewise, endlessly. And we can go on with that in mind: our finger is infinite. You will soon demolish known space into paradoxes. It might sound like a critic, but it isnīt. Maybe such perspective leads us to why some physicist think time is an ilusion, and, avoiding human consciousness of movement, things are still, and changes take place at some timeless level.


    (2) Following that line of thought, we can also think of this: as time is dividable ad infinitum, those space subdivisions are neutralized by time subdivisions. So, if a milimeter is rationally fragmented a trillion times, time is divided too, and we walk through an infinitely small fraction of space in infinitely small fraction of time, thereby giving our conciousness the relief of grasping only those segments of time and space that match our livelihood.


    I personally canīt say which one I believe in. You tell me, fellas.


    (Yes, you got it, I learned my english from books so not only I have a wrong notion of english grammar but I use puffed vocabulary.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
    since a second can be divided samewise, endlessly
    Uh, Planck time?

    And we can go on with that in mind: our finger is infinite.
    Infinitely divisible isn't quite the same as infinite.

    and changes take place at some timeless level.
    How does anything happen without time?

    (Yes, you got it, I learned my english from books so not only I have a wrong notion of english grammar but I use puffed vocabulary.)
    We've had (maybe still got) native English speakers considerably worse than you're showing here.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3
    And we can go on with that in mind: our finger is infinite.
    Infinitely divisible isn't quite the same as infinite.

    and changes take place at some timeless level.
    How does anything happen without time?

    (Yes, you got it, I learned my english from books so not only I have a wrong notion of english grammar but I use puffed vocabulary.)
    We've had (maybe still got) native English speakers considerably worse than you're showing here.[/QUOTE]

    Hi, pal.

    We can agree on this: if you slice a cake infinitely, the result would be an infinite number of cake slices. Likewise with time and space. Thatīs the sense of the teaser. That of the ruler and the finger, if I must...

    Regarding nonexistence of time, Iīve been wondering the same. But physicists canīt solve any of my questions. Julian Barbour has no time to answer my letters. He thinks heīs too funny, donīt you say?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rExaKLEoU

    Cheers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Ah, Julian Barbour. I bought his book just after it came out, but haven't got round to reading it yet 1.
    Not enough time. *cough*.

    But: There is no general agreement that the ideas expressed in the book have any predictive power and thereby constitute a scientific theory.

    1 I buy books when I see them. On the basis that when I WANT them I'll either not find them for sale or won't have the money.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Ah, Julian Barbour. I bought his book just after it came out, but haven't got round to reading it yet 1.
    Not enough time. *cough*.

    But: There is no general agreement that the ideas expressed in the book have any predictive power and thereby constitute a scientific theory.
    .
    You said it well, sir.

    Youīll see Iīm not leveraging my explanation on Barbourīs theory. All Iīm saying is that when you reach some limits on language construction of mathematical issues, like the one that you stumble upon in the said problem, you realize time is not so easy to apprehend, and its non existence is only another possibility within the wide range of reality interpretations, that might be outside the common sense of thing.

    I believe the answer to that tricky question of the ruler can be found on my second argument, that could be translated to be your own. "Infinitely divisible isnīt infinite". When you ask yourself: does my hand go through infinite places inbetween the ruler, the answer could be: "Yes, if you abstractly divide the space infinitely. But infinite pieces of something donīt add up to be an infinite amount as a whole, so your hand goes through the little pieces of space in equaly small time periods, that when are added start to seem as what they truly are: finite, just as the ruler."

    Pretty obvious, perhaps, but obvious is frequently the ladder to get out from problematic questions.

    What do you think of this, mate?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    I'm never far away you pompous...members of the scientific reality counsel. Pretty soon I'll own the fucking bridge. You've been blinded by science, become all swelled-up. Comes the deluge, brothers. Now would be a good time to find god. She blinded me with science. Good song. Bad science.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    I'm never far away you pompous...members of the scientific reality counsel. Pretty soon I'll own the fucking bridge. You've been blinded by science, become all swelled-up. Comes the deluge, brothers. Now would be a good time to find god. She blinded me with science. Good song. Bad science.
    Okay, I'll bite. What are you going on about?
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    This. If you guys ever met a brilliant troll, you'd walk right past. The topic was infinite mathematics or something. I asked a physics question, and some got snobbish. Stayed snobbish, actually. All your education doesn't hide the fact you won't admit when your wrong. -Jaws
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    Okay, the troll is gone. Can we have a rational discussion about The Reals now...

    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath
    Try to answer this!!!
    If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?
    If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclid
    αʹ. Σημεῖόν ἐστιν, οὗ μέρος οὐθέν.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    So.... we are all content that the "smallest" number not zero in the real (open) interval (0,1) is rational?

    Umm...
    No such element as the "smallest number not zero" may exist in the Reals, else they be denumerable.
    Did I get that partially right at least?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Scientific inquiry doesn't require good manners. In discourse, it's useful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Freshman pzkpfw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by umbradiago View Post
    Scientific inquiry doesn't require good manners. In discourse, it's useful.
    If you are upset by the "troll" comment, for what it's worth I thought it was a reference to YellowKazooie8, who in my opinion deserved it.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Thanks. That would make me an idiot. Seems fair, in this case. No, I don't want a blindfold.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by me.
    Okay, the troll is gone. Can we have a rational discussion about The Reals now...
    ^No that wasn't directed at you, and it's most salient purpose was the pun at the end.
    dan hunter likes this.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,614
    OK chaps. settle down and do some mathematics.......

    I will say that the cardinality of some set associates to that set a cardinal number. Note that there are infinitely many natural numbers, but by the definition of the natural numbers, they can, at least in principle, be counted.

    One associates the cardinal number to the natural numbers to denote this fact.

    Now Cantor's diagonal argument (referenced earlier) shows that the Real numbers are uncountable and obviously of infinite cardinality which is denoted by the cardinal number

    I assert, without argument, that if 2 (or more) sets can be placed, element by element, in a one-to-one correspondence, then they have the same cardinality.

    I now assert, with proof, that the open interval can be placed in one-to-one correspondence with , the Real numbers i.e. that his interval is uncountably infinite.

    I consider . The correspondence is self-evident. Likewise the inverse . Thus the correspondence and

    The correspondence with inverse is one-to-one between and

    Therefore the correspondence is one-to-one from to .

    Thus both and each have cardinality
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Didn't Georg Cantor realize that various kinds of infinities exist?
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Freshman pzkpfw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmonroe View Post
    Didn't Georg Cantor realize that various kinds of infinities exist?
    See post #18
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Freshman raising my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ashgabat
    Posts
    13
    assume you move across every possible point in an infinitesmall amount of time
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Freshman DevPhysics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    19
    Soo this means between two edges, there can be an infinity? I also thought about that. You can implement this also in real life. Let's say there are two points called A and B. I am moving from A to B but for example if I take a step first then I take the half of it and it keeps going like that. My steps keeps getting smaller and can get smaller forever. But I am moving. I am getting closer to B but I will never reach B?
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein;
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMath View Post
    Try to answer this!!!
    If a you take a ruler (knowing there are an infinite amount of places in between) and I slide my finger all the way across how is it possible?
    If my finger has an infinite amount of places to stop at, how would I ever move it across the ruler?!
    I would venture to guess it is because you did not stop your finger at the infinite number of places. From a math perspective, fractions can also have infinite places when turned into decimal. 1/3 or PI for example.
    I didn't t read all the comments so i figure someone answered it..but i'll amuse myself and take a stab at it. The problem with this problem is that you think of your finger as something that is finite, when in reality it has an infinite amount of space like any other space. So, you're sliding and infinite amount of space over an infinite amount of space..Since not all infinities are of equal value, I guess it makes sense to slide an infinite amount of space over an infinite amount of space?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by phillies5351 View Post
    The problem with this problem is that you think of your finger as something that is finite, when in reality it has an infinite amount of space like any other space.
    Whut?
    I'm pretty damned sure none of my fingers have an infinite amount of space.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillies5351 View Post
    The problem with this problem is that you think of your finger as something that is finite, when in reality it has an infinite amount of space like any other space.
    Whut?
    I'm pretty damned sure none of my fingers have an infinite amount of space.

    Since one's fingers point to one's own mind, I think you are right here.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Since one's fingers point to one's own mind
    Pure bollocks.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Pure bollocks.
    Well, at least you do soliloquy quite well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Pure bollocks.
    Well, at least you do soliloquy quite well.
    And you do drivel even better.
    Do you agree with phillies5351 that fingers are "infinite in volume"?
    If so, why?
    On what basis?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneT View Post
    Yes, there are infinitely many numbers inbetween 0 and 1.

    I think there's a video about it on YouTube. I'll go search for it and edit this reply.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmyLeESQWGw

    Interesting stuff to think about!

    Thank you for the share!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Pure bollocks.
    Well, at least you do soliloquy quite well.
    And you do drivel even better.
    Do you agree with phillies5351 that fingers are "infinite in volume"?
    If so, why?
    On what basis?

    I was wrong in saying infinite amount of space. What I meant to say is that the length of your finger is similar to an inch in the sense that there is an infinite amount of values between 0 and the 1 inch mark. You're not moving something that doesn't have an infinite amount of values between something that does.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowKazooie8 View Post
    There are infinite numbers between 1 and 0. Also, there are infinite natural numbers and the fractions between them. So... that means that there are infinities bigger than others?
    Yes. And the proof is remarkably simple.
    Infinity is infinity. You can't do math with such numbers (like, infinity x 2, or infinity x infinity). There is no such thing as bigger infinities because if there was, it wouldn't be infinity. It is a rather simple logic
    Intuitively, sure, infinity is infinity. Intuitively, all things should be wholly deterministic. Intuitively, .999 repeating is slightly different than 1. Sometimes, though, the things that seem like they are the most reasonable as far as common sense is concerned are wrong. Human intuition is fallible. .999 repeating is 1, infinities have varying sizes, and the universe doesn't follow deterministic rules all of the time. Saying that it doesn't make sense changes none of these facts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by phillies5351 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Pure bollocks.
    Well, at least you do soliloquy quite well.
    And you do drivel even better.
    Do you agree with phillies5351 that fingers are "infinite in volume"?
    If so, why?
    On what basis?

    I was wrong in saying infinite amount of space. What I meant to say is that the length of your finger is similar to an inch in the sense that there is an infinite amount of values between 0 and the 1 inch mark. You're not moving something that doesn't have an infinite amount of values between something that does.
    I figured the part I bolded is what you meant. Staying true to the ideas in Original Post here. Your last sentence that I didn't bolden, I did not understand, though. BTW, It is my Birthday today. I wonder if I have infinite Birthdays?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6
    I'm saying that a point on the ruler ( or table) has an infinite amount of stopping points on your finger..it's not like your finger is an arbitrary point moving over a never ending axis..maybe that doesn't help with the brain teaser. I guess a moving finger can go through an infinite amount of stopping points because its at each point for for infinitesimal amount of time..that sounds more right in my mind. Moving your finger across that ruler almost seems like a non-mathamtical proof that not all infinities are the same.
    Last edited by phillies5351; July 5th, 2014 at 01:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by phillies5351 View Post
    I'm saying that a point on the ruler ( or table) has an infinite amount of stopping points on your finger..it's not like your finger is an arbitrary point moving over a never ending axis..maybe that doesn't help with the brain teaser. I guess a moving finger can go through an infinite amount of stopping points because its at each point for for infinitesimal amount of time..that sounds more right in my mind. Moving your finger across that ruler almost seems like a non-mathamtical proof that not all infinities are the same.
    I have two different viewpoints on this - there should be a third I think.. I'll come up with it shortly...

    1. Physically if you kept moving your finger a over a period of time, the distance would be covered and not infinite.

    2. If you could move in half distances the motion of the finger would get infintisimally small and it would be an infinite distance and you would never reach the end. - Let me change that - the distance would not be infinite, it would be just that your movements become infinite, and can never reach the destination.

    3. OK here will be my third idea... This is something I think I partially thought on because of a certain passage in Plato's story of Phaedrus... I think there are two different types of realities or existence. One is of the physical and while it may exist in size and complexities beyond even counting, it may also be just illusionary creations of mind - so while it may seem to exist for millenia after millenia it is in a sense infinite - because the possibilities are infinite - but it is infinite (and eternal) only by the powers of the mind.

    Everthing in what the Buddhists call Samsara is transitory and always in flux and always changing. - They typicaly call this unsatisfactory - but that is where I hugely differ, as I think it is perfection personified and all mind created. Mind itself I consider as unborn and undying - similar I think to what some think that God is or some think that Nirvana is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Isn't this just another version of Zeno's Paradox?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillies5351 View Post
    I'm saying that a point on the ruler ( or table) has an infinite amount of stopping points on your finger..it's not like your finger is an arbitrary point moving over a never ending axis..maybe that doesn't help with the brain teaser. I guess a moving finger can go through an infinite amount of stopping points because its at each point for for infinitesimal amount of time..that sounds more right in my mind. Moving your finger across that ruler almost seems like a non-mathamtical proof that not all infinities are the same.
    I have two different viewpoints on this - there should be a third I think.. I'll come up with it shortly...

    1. Physically if you kept moving your finger a over a period of time, the distance would be covered and not infinite.

    2. If you could move in half distances the motion of the finger would get infintisimally small and it would be an infinite distance and you would never reach the end. - Let me change that - the distance would not be infinite, it would be just that your movements become infinite, and can never reach the destination.

    3. OK here will be my third idea... This is something I think I partially thought on because of a certain passage in Plato's story of Phaedrus... I think there are two different types of realities or existence. One is of the physical and while it may exist in size and complexities beyond even counting, it may also be just illusionary creations of mind - so while it may seem to exist for millenia after millenia it is in a sense infinite - because the possibilities are infinite - but it is infinite (and eternal) only by the powers of the mind.

    Everthing in what the Buddhists call Samsara is transitory and always in flux and always changing. - They typicaly call this unsatisfactory - but that is where I hugely differ, as I think it is perfection personified and all mind created. Mind itself I consider as unborn and undying - similar I think to what some think that God is or some think that Nirvana is.

    two other thoughts:

    1- if you keep dividing space on the ruler and not the finger, your finger ( or a point on your finger ) would be infinitely bigger than the divided space.



    2- space isn't linear ( I've heard of debates about this)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6
    Or maybe we're just not thinking in the right dimensions ( saw that as an explanation for Zeno's paradox)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Is infinity equal to negative infinity?
    By Duelix in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: May 4th, 2013, 01:48 PM
  2. Infinity
    By Bipasha Ghosh in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
  3. zero and infinity
    By theQuestIsNotOver in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM
  5. Infinity or a Finite Neigbourhood of Infinity?
    By talanum1 in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •