Notices
Results 1 to 69 of 69
Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Strange
  • 2 Post By river_rat
  • 2 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Gere
  • 2 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By jrmonroe
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Dave Wilson
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By TridentBlue

Thread: who were/are top 5 Mathematician in history

  1. #1 who were/are top 5 Mathematician in history 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Newton is no 1, and who were/are the others


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I'd certainly put Ramanujan in the top 10, don't know whether he'd make it to top 5.


    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    I think it impossible to limit it to 5, or to provide any objective ranking. Any of the following could be in #1 position:
    Euclid
    Archimedes
    Heron
    Liu Hui
    Cardano
    The Bernoullis
    Al Khwarizmi
    Omar Khayyam
    Euler
    Gauss
    Cantor
    Newton
    Leibniz
    Ramanujan
    Hilbert
    Galois

    And many, many other unnamed Indian and Chinese scholars.
    sir ir r aj and dan hunter like this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor river_rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,511
    That's a tough list: Gauss, Lebesgue, Cauchy, Weierstrass, Galois, Noether, Kolmogorov, Riemann, Lie, Hilbert and Abel would all be on that list and I doubt you could place a total ordering on the set of Great Mathematicians, and those are just some classical ones. Atiyah, Grothendieck, Serre, Smale and Tao are all still alive so where would you slot them in?
    Strange and dan hunter like this.
    As is often the case with technical subjects we are presented with an unfortunate choice: an explanation that is accurate but incomprehensible, or comprehensible but wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I think it impossible to limit it to 5, or to provide any objective ranking. Any of the following could be in #1 position:
    Euclid
    Archimedes
    Heron
    Liu Hui
    Cardano
    The Bernoullis
    Al Khwarizmi
    Omar Khayyam
    Euler
    Gauss
    Cantor
    Newton
    Leibniz
    Ramanujan
    Hilbert
    Galois

    And many, many other unnamed Indian and Chinese scholars.

    ----------------
    I do not think there are many Indian and Chinese scholars can be listed.

    in technology, it is clear chinese and indian invented almost 0 machine - car, train, aircraft, computer,... all invented by others.

    in math, chinese also did not give many formulas. Ramanujan was great.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    I do not think there are many Indian and Chinese scholars can be listed.
    Because much of the early work, which matched or exceeded what was going on elsewhere, was not credited to named individuals.

    in technology, it is clear chinese and indian invented almost 0 machine - car, train, aircraft, computer,... all invented by others.
    On the other hand, you can draw up lists of things that were invented in China: paper, gunpowder, printing, ... But that is a pointless and totally unscientific exercise.

    in math, chinese also did not give many formulas.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. The development of the formal notation we are familiar with in mathematics is a relatively recent invention so even European mathematics "did not give many formulas" until a few hundred years ago. On the other hand, the Chinese (and the Indians, Egyptians, Mespotamians, etc) did develop a lot of advanced mathematics. Much of it, of course, driven by astronomy and the needs of creating accurate calendars. And some for the purposes of surveying and accounting.

    Chinese mathematics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    sir ir r aj and dan hunter like this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I think it impossible to limit it to 5, or to provide any objective ranking. Any of the following could be in #1 position:
    Euclid
    Archimedes
    Heron
    Liu Hui
    Cardano
    The Bernoullis
    Al Khwarizmi
    Omar Khayyam
    Euler
    Gauss
    Cantor
    Newton
    Leibniz
    Ramanujan
    Hilbert
    Galois

    And many, many other unnamed Indian and Chinese scholars.
    Yes, and Phtygoras and Parmenides, and Zeno, and Plato and..... Pascal, Descartes, Gaspard Monge .... Robinson,

    I only hesitate at Euclid because I don't know if he originated his maths from original research or if he wrote a textbook containing the work others had already done.

    Sawaguchi Kazuyuki, 1671, invented calculus independently of the west.

    from History of Mathematics: Japan
    Japan


    Mathematicians

    • Yoshida Koyu (1598-1672)
    • Seki Kowa (1642-1708)
    • Takebe Kenko (1664-1739)
    • Matsunaga Ryohitsu (fl. 1718-1749)
    • Kurushima Yoshita (d. 1757)
    • Arima Raido (1714-1783)
    • Ajima Chokuyen (1739-1783)
    • Aida Ammei (1747-1817)
    • Sakabe Kohan (1759-1824)
    • Hasegawa Ken (c. 1783-1838)
    • Wada Nei (1787-1840)
    • Shiraishi Chochu (1796-1862)
    • Koide Shuki (1797-1865)
    • Omura Isshu (1824-1871)
    Bibliography

    • Fukagawa, H. (Hidetoshi), and D. Pedoe. Japanese temple geometry problems = Sangaku Charles Babbage Research Centre, Winnipeg, 1989.
    • Smith, David Eugene and Yoshio Mikami. A history of Japanese mathematics. Open Court, Chicago, 1914.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    193
    No Laurent Schwartz?
    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Gere View Post
    No Laurent Schwartz?
    And his son, Schwarzschild?
    river_rat and Gere like this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    User "whatifitaint" of The Science Forum.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior anticorncob28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    276
    Here's my top five:
    1) Archimedes
    2) Carl Friedrich Gauss
    3) Isaac Newton
    4) Leonard Euler
    5) David Hilbert
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Erdős?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Erdős?
    Aha, you beat me to it. I second the motion.

    I also just came across the most curious List of Amateur Mathematicians, which I found of note due to many of them informally or self-taught in mathematics along with their unusual or surprising contributions — just about every one of them a fascinating read!
    dan hunter likes this.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor river_rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Erdős?
    Lol, my Erdos number is technically 5.
    As is often the case with technical subjects we are presented with an unfortunate choice: an explanation that is accurate but incomprehensible, or comprehensible but wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    I'm surprised that no one here mentioned Elie Cartan; that guy was brilliant, and his contributions to modern mathematics can hardly be overestimated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Thomas Bayes
    Alan Turing
    John Nash
    William Sealy Gosset
    Jerzy Neyman

    Who you nominate as the top 5 mathematicians likely depends more on your specialty than anything else.

    May I suggest Diophantus who invented algebra and Fermat who followed him, and then Andrew Wiles

    Pappus usually gets overlooked.
    Eratosthenes of Alexandria made a difference too.
    Thales seems a natural.
    Last edited by dan hunter; February 7th, 2014 at 06:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    in technology, it is clear chinese and indian invented almost 0 machine - car, train, aircraft, computer,... all invented by others.
    Strange: On the other hand, you can draw up lists of things that were invented in China: paper, gunpowder, printing, ... But that is a pointless and totally unscientific exercise.


    [/QUOTE]

    Thanks for your answer.

    china may did not invent paper, gunpowder, printing,

    1)Europe and middle east entered metal age at least 600 years before china.


    2)Middle East invented writing 5000 years ago.

    The oldest chinese oracle bones is about 3000 years.



    3)Joseph Needham proved china invented paper, gun powder,

    printing, the magnetic compass. Needham has been criticized for his strong inclination to exaggerate Chinese technological achievements.



    Examples -

    Gunpowder was invented by Greek - Greek fire

    chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works,




    Egypt invented paper,Papyrus,paper

    The oldest egyptian paper is 5000 years old, which is 2000 years old than chinese oracle bones.

    The quality of chinese paper is very poor ” (Matteo Ricci, who visited chinese ming empire)











    Last edited by steelcat; February 6th, 2014 at 04:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    Gunpowder was invented by Greek - Greek fire
    Nonsense.
    Greek fire was NOT gunpowder.

    chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works
    Whut?
    There's no such thing as "Yin and Yang Theory", and any "explanation" derived from it is, ipso facto, unscientific and therefore not an actual explanation.

    The rest of your post is equally flawed.
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; February 6th, 2014 at 04:45 AM.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    ...
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; February 6th, 2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Double post
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post

    Egypt invented paper,Papyrus,paper

    The oldest egyptian paper is 5000 years old, which is 2000 years old than chinese oracle bones.
    Egypt did not invent paper. They had papyrus which is thinly sliced reeds laid together with their own mucilage.
    Not the same thing as cellulose fibers felted together which is what paper is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post

    Egypt invented paper,Papyrus,paper

    The oldest egyptian paper is 5000 years old, which is 2000 years old than chinese oracle bones.
    Egypt did not invent paper. They had papyrus which is thinly sliced reeds laid together with their own mucilage.
    Not the same thing as cellulose fibers felted together which is what paper is.

    It is very hard for many people to believe that papyrus is not the oldest paper.

    http://m.lib.umich.edu/files/collect...papyrus_lg.jpg

    anyone can find a image of the oldest chinese paper?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    Gunpowder was invented by Greek - Greek fire
    Nonsense.
    Greek fire was NOT gunpowder.

    chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works
    Whut?
    There's no such thing as "Yin and Yang Theory", and any "explanation" derived from it is, ipso facto, unscientific and therefore not an actual explanation.

    The rest of your post is equally flawed.

    1) since you know nothing about china,

    so you do not know "Yin and Yang Theory",

    chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works. .


    2) you said "Greek fire was NOT gunpowder", can you explain that? lol

    chinese started to learn solid geometry in chinese qing empire, about 400 years ago.
    And their text book was Euclid's Elements, which wrote by Euclid 2000 year ago.


    chinese calendar was invented by an European.
    Johann Adam Schall von Bell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_...chall_von_Bell


    china was far behind Greek in history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    1) since you know nothing about china,
    So are you going to turn this thread into another tedious anti-China tirade, and accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being ignorant?
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    1) since you know nothing about china
    I know enough to know that you're talking bollocks.

    so you do not know "Yin and Yang Theory",
    There is no such thing: the word "theory" has a specific meaning (look it up).
    Yin and Yang are totally non-scientific concepts.

    chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works. .
    Really?
    Three components used and a "theory" that deals with opposites (i.e. only two properties)?

    2) you said "Greek fire was NOT gunpowder", can you explain that? lol
    Yes: Greek fire was NOT gunpowder.
    You made the initial claim: it's nonsense.
    Nothing gunpowder does matches the claimed properties of Greek fire:
    "Greek fire was an incendiary weapon" - gunpowder isn't an incendiary.
    "He had devised a sea fire which ignited the Arab ships and burned them with all hands" - gunpowder on water doesn't burn.
    "It was a liquid substance" - gunpowder is not a liquid.
    And, most, telling:
    "So strict was the secrecy that the composition of Greek fire was lost forever and remains a source of speculation."
    All quotes from the relevant Wiki page.

    Please either stop posting or check your facts if you're going to continue posting.

    chinese calendar was invented by an European.
    False, as shown by your own link: a reform of the Chinese calendar.

    chinese started to learn solid geometry in chinese qing empire, about 400 years ago.
    And their text book was Euclid's Elements, which wrote by Euclid 2000 year ago.
    More bollocks.
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; February 6th, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    1) since you know nothing about china, so you do not know "Yin and Yang Theory", chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works.

    Provide the Yin and Yang theory and explain how they used it to describe the workings of gunpowder.

    2) you said "Greek fire was NOT gunpowder", can you explain that? lol
    Greek fire ('grēk 'fī(-ə)r):
    "Any of several flammable mixtures used in ancient and medieval warfare, particularly a petroleum-based mixture invented by the Byzantine Greeks in the 7th century. Flammable materials such as pitch and sulfur had been used in war since ancient times, but true Greek fire was especially deadly. Thrown in pots or discharged from tubes, it apparently caught fire spontaneously, and water could not put it out. Greek fire launched from tubes mounted on ship prows wrought havoc on the Arab fleet attacking Constantinople in 673. Its effectiveness was a prime reason for the long survival of the Byzantine Empire. The recipe was so secret that its precise composition remains unknown."
    (Merriam-Webster)


    There is no mentioning of gunpowder.

    chinese started to learn solid geometry in chinese qing empire, about 400 years ago.
    And their text book was Euclid's Elements, which wrote by Euclid 2000 year ago.

    [citation needed]


    chinese calendar was invented by an European.
    Johann Adam Schall von Bell
    Johann Adam Schall von Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    He did not invent it. He modified and compiled it.

    We should not disregard the scientific accomplishments from Eastern civilizations,
    as it cannot be denied that Chinese and Japanese people have contributed to mathematics (cf. posts #6 and #7).


    PS: Do you even read your own sources?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    It is very hard for many people to believe that papyrus is not the oldest paper.
    I'll quote it again and highlight the important part - the bit you seem to be ignoring.

    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Egypt did not invent paper. They had papyrus which is thinly sliced reeds laid together with their own mucilage.
    Not the same thing as cellulose fibers felted together which is what paper is.
    Egyptians did NOT invent paper.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    1) since you know nothing about china,
    So are you going to turn this thread into another tedious anti-China tirade, and accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being ignorant?

    No, I do not anti chinese, bu the facts are

    1)Europe and middle east entered metal age at least 600 years before china.


    2)Middle east invented writing 5000 years ago. The oldest chinese oracle bones is about 3000 years.


    3) it is hard to believe that, the world had to wait for china to invent paper.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    to Dywyddyr

    ----------------------
    you said: Yin and Yang are totally non-scientific concepts.


    you need to think clearer.

    yes, 1) Yin and Yang are totally non-scientific concepts.
    2) chinese used Yin and Yang theory to explain how gunpowder works


    so as I said, chinese did not real know how gunpowder works.
    then why you ague about this?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    No, I do not anti chinese,
    You do a very good imitation.

    bu the facts are
    And, as you have repeatedly shown, you have a very loose and biased attitude to facts.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    to Cogito Ergo Sum ,


    the facts are

    1) For a long time, most popular theory the composition of Greek fire held that its chief ingredient was saltpeter, (and Sulfur), making it an early form of gunpowder.


    2) and can you even tell me, how chinese explained gunpowder works? they had no scientific understanding.


    3) china was far behind Europe and middle east.

    - chinese started to learn solid geometry in chinese qing empire, about 400 years ago.

    And their text book was Euclid's Elements, which wrote by Euclid 2000 year ago.




    - chinese calendar was invented by an European.

    Johann Adam Schall von Bell
    Johann Adam Schall von Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    - china never invented alphabet, so china was not able to invented a chinese keyboard till now,...., so chiense was not able to invent the computer


    - china never invented any Punctuation, and they did not use any Punctuation till 100 years ago.

    http://www.caaom.org/images/acupuncture_book.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Strange


    bu the facts are
    And, as you have repeatedly shown, you have a very loose and biased attitude to facts.[/QUOTE]
    -------------------------


    Sir, just give the facts and evidences.


    1) Up to now, china invented about 0 machine, car, train, TV, phone, computer, aircraft,.......




    2)glass was invented 5000 years ago.
    it was before chinese history



    Backgammon was invented 5000 years ago.
    it was before chinese history.



    and 3)
    Europe and middle east entered metal age at least 600 years before china.



    Middle east invented writing 5000 years ago.The oldest chinese oracle bones is about 3000 years.



    The world did NOT wait for chinese to invent paper, gunpowder....






    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat;523145
    1) For a long time, most popular theory the composition of Greek fire held that its chief ingredient was [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate"
    saltpeter[/URL], (and Sulfur), making it an early form of gunpowder.

    Greek fire was not gunpowder, as explained by member Dywyddyr in post #24.


    2) and can you even tell me, how chinese explained gunpowder works? they had no scientific understanding.

    Yet, you claimed that they explained the workings of gunpowder via the Yin and Yang theory in one of your previous posts.
    I asked you to provide this in post #25.

    chinese started to learn solid geometry in chinese qing empire, about 400 years ago.
    And their text book was Euclid's Elements, which wrote by Euclid 2000 year ago.

    You have stated this in post #22 and you have yet to provide a source for this.

    - chinese calendar was invented by an European.

    That is not true, as pointed out in post #24 and post #25.

    - china never invented alphabet, so china was not able to invented a chinese keyboard till now,...., so chiense was not able to invent the computer
    china never invented any Punctuation, and they did not use any Punctuation till 100 years ago.

    There is a non sequitur in the former statement. The claim concerning punctuation must be backed up by evidence (despite that it is irrelevant).


    I fail to see how gunpowder, backgammon and glass have any place in this discussion concerning mathematicians.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    I'm surprised that no one here mentioned Elie Cartan; that guy was brilliant, and his contributions to modern mathematics can hardly be overestimated.
    Why not Sophus Lie?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Why not Sophus Lie?
    Post #4 ...
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    al-Samaw'al should also have an honorable mention in this thread.
    He was the first to propose that
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; February 9th, 2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: "an", not "a".
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    Sir, just give the facts and evidences.
    So far you have given neither.

    1) Up to now, china invented about 0 machine, car, train, TV, phone, computer, aircraft,....
    Wrong.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    Why not Sophus Lie?
    Post #4 ...
    AH yes, River Rat's pick, he did Lie before I did.
    I must have been distacted by all the China smashing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by dan hunter View Post
    I must have been distacted by all the China smashing.
    Maybe steelcat has been to too many Greek weddings.
    dan hunter likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    So, back on track now ...

    John von Neumann
    (significant contributions to many fields)

    George Dantzig
    (various contributions, especially the simplex algorithm, and solving two open problems as alleged homework assignments! Is that cool, or what?)
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Professor Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northumbria UK
    Posts
    1,005
    I reckon Bernhard Riemann would make the cut.

    Bernhard Riemann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Markus Hanke likes this.
    Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
    Ronald Reagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    Sir, just give the facts and evidences.
    So far you have given neither.

    1) Up to now, china invented about 0 machine, car, train, TV, phone, computer, aircraft,....
    Wrong.

    then please tell me, which machine was invented by chinese.

    -- car, train, TV, phone, radio, computer, aircraft, spaceship, Typewriter, fridge, fax machine, copy machine, scanner, ATM, Vending machine, washing machine, helicopter, ........... tank, submarine, robot. ... mobile,...,...
    Last edited by steelcat; February 9th, 2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    then please tell me, which machine was invented by chinese.
    You are apparently unaware that the word "wrong" in my post is a link.
    A link to a LIST of inventions made in China.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    then please tell me, which machine was invented by chinese.
    How is your childish China-bashing relevant to a thread on mathematicians? Please stop it. Or start a new thread. Maybe you could call it "Immature idiot hates China". Start it in Trash, because that is where it will end up.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    then please tell me, which machine was invented by chinese.
    You are apparently unaware that the word "wrong" in my post is a link.
    A link to a LIST of inventions made in China.

    We talked about machines, understand? hahah
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    then please tell me, which machine was invented by chinese.
    How is your childish China-bashing relevant to a thread on mathematicians? Please stop it. Or start a new thread. Maybe you could call it "Immature idiot hates China". Start it in Trash, because that is where it will end up.
    --------------------------------------

    To Strange, old man, you have to be able to think.


    the fact is that, china never invent any machine.
    you should be able to think.
    and you should talk like an adult - give facts.


    1) speaking out a fact does not mean dislike china.

    2) without a strong math background, many inventions are not possible, so they are related, understand.?

    are you high school graduated? old people like you mostly do not have a degree.
    and it is never too late for you to go back to school.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    then please tell me, which machine was invented by chinese.
    How is your childish China-bashing relevant to a thread on mathematicians? Please stop it. Or start a new thread. Maybe you could call it "Immature idiot hates China". Start it in Trash, because that is where it will end up.
    --------------------------
    to Strange

    maybe chinese think you are very unsmart person?


    since chinese also know that, - china never invent any machine.

    old man, nobody is angry with that fact.

    which machine was invented by chinese?

    -- car, train, TV, phone, radio, computer, aircraft, spaceship, Typewriter, fridge, fax machine, copy machine, scanner, ATM, Vending machine, washing machine, helicopter, ........... tank, submarine, robot. ... mobile,...,...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    you must be a chinese, since you there are chinese characters in your profile
    I am not Chinese.
    Those are not Chinese characters.
    And even if they were, it wouldn't mean I "must" be Chinese.

    However, this does prove that, once again, you are happy to express opinions based on nothing but ignorance.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    you must be a chinese, since you there are chinese characters in your profile
    I am not Chinese.
    Those are not Chinese characters.
    And even if they were, it wouldn't mean I "must" be Chinese.

    However, this does prove that, once again, you are happy to express opinions based on nothing but ignorance.
    Strange,

    you are talking without facts and logic.

    you can not prove the facts are wrong,

    then how come you say that "you are happy to express opinions based on nothing but ignorance. ",

    First you have to prove the facts which I listed are wrong. understand?

    Old man, you can NOT think, hahahahhahah
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,701
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    We talked about machines, understand? hahah
    I understand, it's apparent that you don't.
    There are machines included in that list.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    you must be a chinese, since you there are chinese characters in your profile
    First you have to prove the facts which I listed are wrong. understand?
    Why should I have to prove anything. I know I'm not Chinese. And I know those characters are not Chinese (I know that because I wrote them and I can't read or write Chinese).

    I have no idea why you feel the need to go round insulting people who disagree with your opinions. I assume because you are 14 years old. Maybe you should come back when you have matured a bit.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    What is wrong with you?
    dan hunter likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Junior TridentBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    207
    No one said Fourier. So I have to say it. I think his transform is going to turn out to be key in understanding everything.
    dan hunter likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Genius Idiot Rajnish Kaushik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I think it impossible to limit it to 5, or to provide any objective ranking. Any of the following could be in #1 position:
    Euclid
    Archimedes
    Heron
    Liu Hui
    Cardano
    The Bernoullis
    Al Khwarizmi
    Omar Khayyam
    Euler
    Gauss
    Cantor
    Newton
    Leibniz
    Ramanujan
    Hilbert
    Galois

    And many, many other unnamed Indian and Chinese scholars.
    I think Aryabhatta also should be in top 3 see this link Aryabhata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    you must be a chinese, since you there are chinese characters in your profile
    First you have to prove the facts which I listed are wrong. understand?
    Why should I have to prove anything. I know I'm not Chinese. And I know those characters are not Chinese (I know that because I wrote them and I can't read or write Chinese).

    I have no idea why you feel the need to go round insulting people who disagree with your opinions. I assume because you are 14 years old. Maybe you should come back when you have matured a bit.

    To Strange
    you are only able to defend yourself in a very stupid way,
    you said "i think you are 14 years old",
    I feel sorry for a old unsmart person like you.


    If you think I am wrong, then give facts and logical reasons.
    If you can not give facts, and not able to think logically,
    then shut up.



    EDIT: To fade and tone down foolish writing.

    steelcat

    You're looking for suspension? I can do that for you.

    Tone down the attitude and the insults when you get back 3 days from now or you'll earn yourself a permanent ban.

    Last edited by adelady; February 12th, 2014 at 03:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    which machine was invented by chinese?
    What is wrong with you?

    I said: which machine was invented by chinese?
    what wrong the fact? you need to improve you ability to think.

    and yuo don't have to repeat a sentence 4 times.
    It Makes No Sense.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    if you think I am wrong, then give facts and logical reasons.
    You said:
    "you must be a chinese": which is wrong.
    "there are chinese characters in your profile": which is wrong.

    Also, deducing I am Chinese is not logical.

    So, two factual errors and one logical error in a single short sentence. That is an impressive level of wrongness, even for someone as immature as you.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    and yuo don't have to repeat a sentence 4 times.
    Then stop doing it.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    if you think I am wrong, then give facts and logical reasons.
    You said:
    "you must be a chinese": which is wrong.
    "there are chinese characters in your profile": which is wrong.

    Also, deducing I am Chinese is not logical.

    So, two factual errors and one logical error in a single short sentence. That is an impressive level of wrongness, even for someone as immature as you.

    Then you change topic again?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcat View Post
    and yuo don't have to repeat a sentence 4 times.
    Then stop doing it.

    OK, I think even chinese do not know what are you fighting for.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    See post 55.

    steelcat has earned a holiday.
    Last edited by adelady; February 13th, 2014 at 03:33 PM.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    John Napier of Merchiston fits on this list but I am not quite sure where. The man invented logarithms and slide rules.
    History of Mathematics credits the adoption of logarithms for calculations as the largest single factor in the general adoption of decimal arithmetic.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Genius Idiot Rajnish Kaushik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    See post 54.

    steelcat has earned a holiday.
    but thats my post i guess
    "Think like a man of action,act like a man of action"
    Henry Louis Bergson"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Genius Idiot Rajnish Kaushik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    168
    is he banned?
    "Think like a man of action,act like a man of action"
    Henry Louis Bergson"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    obviously me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Forum Junior anticorncob28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    276
    I'm confused, did the moderator (adelady) just edit post #55 and added her own words at the bottom in red?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    I'm confused, did the moderator (adelady) just edit post #55 and added her own words at the bottom in red?
    Yes, and quite rightly too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I'm confused, did the moderator (adelady) just edit post #55 and added her own words at the bottom in red?
    Yup. I'd skipped over that particular comment earlier, so I presumed that others would miss it as well. Much easier to point out the offending item in question and give a link to it in a later comment at the same time. (Obviously I didn't think about people who were reading through the whole thread in a single go.)

    As for the colour. Most moderators use colour to single out their commenting as moderator, even when it's just to insert a "link deleted" or some other really simple edit.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajnish Kaushik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    See post 54.

    steelcat has earned a holiday.
    but thats my post i guess
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    I'm confused, did the moderator (adelady) just edit post #55 and added her own words at the bottom in red?
    Yup. I'd skipped over that particular comment earlier, so I presumed that others would miss it as well. Much easier to point out the offending item in question and give a link to it in a later comment at the same time. (Obviously I didn't think about people who were reading through the whole thread in a single go.)

    As for the colour. Most moderators use colour to single out their commenting as moderator, even when it's just to insert a "link deleted" or some other really simple edit.
    I am pretty sure it is just a typo.
    He wasn't banned as far as I know, just suspended for a while
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Mathematician
    By RGClark in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
  2. Should i become a mathematician?
    By boson31415 in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
  3. Mathematician v.s Physicist
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: October 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
  4. It sure is tough being a mathematician
    By JaneBennet in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
  5. What can a mathematician get paid to do?
    By Demen Tolden in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •