Notices
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Special cases in binary conversion

  1. #1 Special cases in binary conversion 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    72
    Are there any cases where a binary number cannot be converted into an octal number?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,670
    No.

    They are simply different textual representations of the same thing. Each 3 bits of the binary map on to an octal digit.


    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior anticorncob28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    249
    Any complex number can be converted to any base that is an integer greater than one. If not, then the system is flawed. For instance, Roman numerals are flawed because they have no way to express irrational numbers, negatives, or complex numbers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,819
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    Any complex number can be converted to any base that is an integer greater than one. If not, then the system is flawed. For instance, Roman numerals are flawed because they have no way to express irrational numbers, negatives, or complex numbers.
    And what is the relevance of all that to the OP??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    Any complex number can be converted to any base that is an integer greater than one. If not, then the system is flawed. For instance, Roman numerals are flawed because they have no way to express irrational numbers, negatives, or complex numbers.
    And what is the relevance of all that to the OP??
    The OP has been answered. anticorncob28 is extending the discussion to explore other issues relating to number systems. That seems reasonable - this is a discussion forum, after all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D. merumario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    nigeria
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    Any complex number can be converted to any base that is an integer greater than one. If not, then the system is flawed. For instance, Roman numerals are flawed because they have no way to express irrational numbers, negatives, or complex numbers.
    And what is the relevance of all that to the OP??
    The OP has been answered. anticorncob28 is extending the discussion to explore other issues relating to number systems. That seems reasonable - this is a discussion forum, after all.
    And one cannot simply talk about number conversion in bases without speaking about numbers system itself.....
    "I am sorry for making this letter longer than usual.I actually lacked the time to make it shorter."###
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
  2. Data correction methods resistant to pessimistic cases
    By Jarek Duda in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: April 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
  3. special special forces
    By 15uliane in forum Military Technology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: April 5th, 2011, 06:00 PM
  4. Conversion
    By AlexP in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
  5. conversion
    By jacketate in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •