Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: linear equations with fractions (homework)

  1. #1 linear equations with fractions (homework) 
    Forum Sophomore somfooleishfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    196
    I'm fairly sure I have worked this out correctly but before I commit it to certain knowledge, I want someone to cite that I got the answer right

    2x/3 - 4x/5 = 7/9

    I got X= 5 5/6

    Sorry if this is a bit trivial but I just couldn't find another way to find the answer to the equation I was set at uni.

    Thank you


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: linear equations with fractions (homework) 
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by somfooleishfool
    I'm fairly sure I have worked this out correctly but before I commit it to certain knowledge, I want someone to cite that I got the answer right

    2x/3 - 4x/5 = 7/9

    I got X= 5 5/6

    Sorry if this is a bit trivial but I just couldn't find another way to find the answer to the equation I was set at uni.

    Thank you
    its,


    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore somfooleishfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    196
    Thank you. I had the equation right but I made a silly error of misunderstanding what my calculator was telling me.

    my calculator told me the answer was 5/5/6
    I interpreted this as 5 and 5/6 but that is wrong. I still dont know what 5/5/6 means but that's a problem for another day
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by somfooleishfool
    Thank you. I had the equation right but I made a silly error of misunderstanding what my calculator was telling me.

    my calculator told me the answer was 5/5/6
    I interpreted this as 5 and 5/6 but that is wrong. I still dont know what 5/5/6 means but that's a problem for another day
    5 5/6 is 35/6.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore somfooleishfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    Quote Originally Posted by somfooleishfool
    Thank you. I had the equation right but I made a silly error of misunderstanding what my calculator was telling me.

    my calculator told me the answer was 5/5/6
    I interpreted this as 5 and 5/6 but that is wrong. I still dont know what 5/5/6 means but that's a problem for another day
    5 5/6 is 35/6.
    hahahahahahahha Im such an idiot for not seeing this
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6
    Linear Equations Help???

    1. In 2000, the minimum wage in Washington was $6.50 per hour. In 2010, it was $8.55 per hour.


    (a) If x is the number of years past 2000 (so in 2000, and in 2010, ), and y is the minimum wage per hour, write two ordered pairs representing the minimum wages given.


    (b) What is the slope of the line between these two points? What does the slope specifically represent here?



    (c) What is the y-intercept? What does the y-intercept specifically represent here?


    (d) Find the equation of this line – write your final answer in slope-intercept form.




    (e) Write your equation as a function of x.


    (f) If you do not earn a college degree and you are earning minimum wage in 2020, what do you predict you will be earning per hour?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by somfooleishfool View Post
    I'm fairly sure I have worked this out correctly but before I commit it to certain knowledge, I want someone to cite that I got the answer right

    2x/3 - 4x/5 = 7/9

    I got X= 5 5/6

    Sorry if this is a bit trivial but I just couldn't find another way to find the answer to the equation I was set at uni.

    Thank you

    The question 2x/3 - 4x/5 = 7/9

    Ans:-
    2x/3-4x/5=7/9
    [(2x*5)-(4x*3)]/15=7/9

    (10x-12x)/15=7/9
    -2x/15=7/9

    x=[(7*15)/(-18)]

    x=-35/6

    So this is the proper way to solve it .
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •