Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Self learning

  1. #1 Self learning 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    I am a student of mathematics at the biggest university in my country. 1st year.

    My problem:
    The way of study, of our time, disturbs me. I hate being build up in the shape of a tool. So I need to change something.

    My solution:
    This may seem a little bit extreme. I will leave the university. I make money with computers in many ways so I can support myself.

    The request:
    For any university teachers of mathematics on this forum( and others that can help):
    I still want to learn mathematics but just in my own way. I will be very gratefull if you can give me some full( up-to date) curriculum in your branch of math.

    Thanks.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Self learning 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether
    I am a student of mathematics at the biggest university in my country. 1st year.

    My problem:
    The way of study, of our time, disturbs me. I hate being build up in the shape of a tool. So I need to change something.

    My solution:
    This may seem a little bit extreme. I will leave the university. I make money with computers in many ways so I can support myself.

    The request:
    For any university teachers of mathematics on this forum( and others that can help):
    I still want to learn mathematics but just in my own way. I will be very gratefull if you can give me some full( up-to date) curriculum in your branch of math.

    Thanks.
    You are probably making a mistake.

    It is quite possible to learn mathematics without a lot of formal lecture, but it is very difficult to learn it wthout embedding yourself in the culture and discussing mathematics with other people of similar interests and capabilities. Outside of the university you are unlikely to find people like that.

    It might help if you described the reasons for your dissatisfaction with the situation in which you find yourself.

    What is "your own way" ? How does it differ from the norm at your university ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Hello sir. I remember that a year ago when I was still in highschool I was reading some of your posts on this forum. That was some miscelanea.

    About my way: I am an autodidact. Most of the things I know I have learned myself. So I really feel good when I learn by myself without stress. I will talk about stress later.

    I want to get something clear. I am not pulling out of the science comunity. In my opinion internet connects today with greater probability than real life. So I will "infiltrate" stable ecosystems of mathematicians with the help of internet. (Oh, yes, and I will not mention what money can get for you. )

    About stress, my country's learning system is in turmoil. I will give an example:
    Most of the teachers at my university are keeping multiple universities going on. They do this for the extra money, but in return they get extra fatigue. So we as students get little to none attention.

    Our country uses the bologna platform. Which I do not like.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether
    Hello sir. I remember that a year ago when I was still in highschool I was reading some of your posts on this forum. That was some miscelanea.

    About my way: I am an autodidact. Most of the things I know I have learned myself. So I really feel good when I learn by myself without stress. I will talk about stress later.

    I want to get something clear. I am not pulling out of the science comunity. In my opinion internet connects today with greater probability than real life. So I will "infiltrate" stable ecosystems of mathematicians with the help of internet. (Oh, yes, and I will not mention what money can get for you. )

    About stress, my country's learning system is in turmoil. I will give an example:
    Most of the teachers at my university are keeping multiple universities going on. They do this for the extra money, but in return they get extra fatigue. So we as students get little to none attention.

    Our country uses the bologna platform. Which I do not like.
    I really appreciate your courage and I might help you with some of your courses and good luck.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mohave Desert
    Posts
    51
    Hello Aether ...

    Another aspect of this is credentials. Even if you learn math and science on your own it's hard to get started without that diploma that says a university recognizes your education.

    It sounds like you need to change schools .. if that is possible.

    Good Luck.

    MB ..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by MohaveBiologist
    Another aspect of this is credentials. Even if you learn math and science on your own it's hard to get started without that diploma that says a university recognizes your education.
    Very, very true. Especially in a field like mathematics. However, reputation is very strong. If you can build a resume of research you have completed on your own, projects, and the like. They will be a powerful asset.

    I would like to add that if you are going to learn on your own, a great book I can recommend on the process is "Secrets of a Buccaneer Scholar" by James Marcus Bach.

    I graduated from the U.S. university system and while I am pleased with my education, required courses often interfered with my desire in other areas of mathematics. One thing I would recommend if you follow this path is to find areas of interest (research) and explore those. Learning the maths you need as you go. If you are really interested in what you are researching, you will be very motivated to learn the maths involved.

    Best of luck you to you,
    Sploit
    - sploit -
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thank you, sploit.
    This is exacly what I am doing, I am learning mathematics now along with algorithms, mathematics is applied in algorithms.
    The algorithms are used for a project that is very practical and requires research because it is a new approach to some... stuff. Though this project will not bring me recognition it will bring me money to sustain myself.
    Oliver's Law: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. I truly believe in that law.

    I thank you for the knowledge of that book.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman holysword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    41
    I have had some awful teachers in college, but I have had excellent ones: If I am in the research field now I must thank them, they taught me more than mathematics and computation.

    Moreover, cooperation is important. You might know a professor in college who can indicate you to a scholarship in another country, in an even better college, and so on, I've seen this happening more than once. If you have a good potential, it makes no sense at all to hide yourself in your room.

    No matter where you live, throwing away a good diploma sounds like an awful choice.
    "Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium"
    Yeshua Ha Mashiach
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Right... holysword you mention something that was bugging me for some time.
    Because of my passion I think I blinded myself to see only a way.
    This is not the first time that this happend to me, damn my latin blood.
    From monday a new semester starts at my university.
    I will try a new approach: I will communicate over the course of the semester with some teachers and make them understand that I want to be more involved in research and maybe start an apprentiship.

    I will be very interested in your thoughts about this.

    I will lay some facts here, just because I feel I need to say them:
    1.Most of my colleagues ( If not all ) just want to become teachers. Highschool teachers. It is very scary to have such a collective around you when you want to become more.
    2.My teacher just want to get on with the lesson and be done with it.
    3.Almost everyone copies at exams, they are only in for the diploma. The teachers let them. I could not even motivate myself to stay or go at the exams because of this.
    4.I am very quiet person that communicates very rarely with other people. I have an inclination to exploration, and practicability.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether
    4.I am very quiet person that communicates very rarely with other people. I have an inclination to exploration, and practicability.
    This is the biggest thign for staying in university. With this quality, you are much more likely to dump at the first real bump while learning on your own. How far have you gotten in mathematics?
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5
    Arcane_Mathematician, I just finished first semester from year 1 in a bologna university - that's how far I got. Your whole post was a little bit ambiguous for me.
    I know my quietness is not a quality and is certainly not helping me in society.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    when it comes to self learning, you need to be a very exploratory person, cause otherwise when you hit a bump in your personal studies, you are a lot more likely to quit. That's the only reason we recommend you stay in university and don't try to tackle it on your own.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •