Notices
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

  1. #1 ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE 
    Forum Freshman Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

    ARE YOU IN THE TOP 2% OF INTELLIGENT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD? SOLVE THE RIDDLE AND FIND OUT.

    There are no tricks, just pure logic, so good luck and don't give up.

    1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
    2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
    3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

    THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

    HINTS:

    1. The Brit lives in a red house.
    2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
    3. The Dane drinks tea.
    4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
    5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
    6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
    7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
    8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
    9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
    11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
    12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
    13. The German smokes Prince.
    14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.


    ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 19th CENTURY. HE SAID THAT 98% OF THE WORLD POPULATION WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.

    Don't forget to tell me how much time it took to solve the riddle. I know, you all can cheat, but i'll just trust you
    -


    Answer (please don't check the answer to fast, try it first.. ) -> http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?i...werklarpu8.jpg


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree organic god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    567
    yes got it right but it took me about 15 minutes.

    starting point was

    norwegian 1st house hint 9
    norwegian lives next to blue house hint 14.
    central house can't be green (hint 5 and 8)
    green house is left of white house.

    therefore house order was ?,blue,?, green, white

    can't really remember what i did after that, but managed it in the end


    everything is mathematical.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    All very well and interesting, but what if you can't be bothered to do the riddle? Even if you know you can, what percentage do I come under? I'm a little lazy at times :P.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by organic god
    yes got it right but it took me about 15 minutes.

    starting point was

    norwegian 1st house hint 9
    norwegian lives next to blue house hint 14.
    central house can't be green (hint 5 and 8)
    green house is left of white house.

    therefore house order was ?,blue,?, green, white

    can't really remember what i did after that, but managed it in the end
    great :-D god job, you are leading this little competition with the time:
    15 min


    Quote Originally Posted by 425 Chaotic Requisition
    All very well and interesting, but what if you can't be bothered to do the riddle? Even if you know you can, what percentage do I come under? I'm a little lazy at times :P.
    hah that's exactly what i felt too, when i tried it the first time. Im sure that i can do it, but i am to lazy to sit down and get the solution. :P

    I think that there must be lots more than 2% of the worlds population getting the solution..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by organic god
    norwegian 1st house hint 9
    norwegian lives next to blue house hint 14.
    central house can't be green (hint 5 and 8)
    green house is left of white house.

    therefore house order was ?,blue,?, green, white

    can't really remember what i did after that, but managed it in the end
    Norwegian doesn’t live in the Red house (clue 1) so he lives in the Yellow house.

    So the Norwegian smokes Dunhill (Clue 7) and his neighbour keeps Horses (Clue 11). Now the Norwegian doesn’t drink Tea (Clue 3), Coffee (Clue 5), Milk (Clue 8) or Beer (Clue 12). Therefore he drinks Water – and his neighbour smokes Blends (Clue 15). So that neighbour doesn’t drink Beer (Clue 12), Water, Coffee (Clue 5) or Milk (Clue 8); hence the Norwegian’s neighbour drinks Tea, and must be the Dane (Clue 3).

    Summary so far: (i) The Norwegian lives in the first house, drinks Water and smokes Dunhill; and (ii) the Dane lives in the second house, drinks Tea, keeps Horses and smokes Blends.

    Repeat: the Norwegian smokes Dunhill and the Dane smokes Blends. The German smokes Prince (Clue 13), and the Swede doesn’t smoke Pall Mall (Clues 2 and 6). Hence the Brit smokes Pall Mall, and is the Birds owner (Clue 6).

    We’ve already established the order of the colours of the houses from left to right as follows: Yellow, Blue, Red, Green, White. So the Brit lives in the middle house (Clue 1) and keeps Birds, while his neighbour is the Blends-smoking Dane who owns the Horse. But the Blends smoker must live next to the person who keeps Cats (Clue 10), that means it’s the Norwegian who is the Cats owner.

    And so: The Norwegian owns the Cats, the Brit owns the Birds, the Dane owns the Horses, and the Swede owns the Dogs (Clue 2). Who’s left? Yes! Der Deutscher hat den Fisch!

    By the way, how come nobody here has yet tried the puzzle I wrote myself: http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...=129125#129125
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    60
    Hey, carbon nice riddle!!

    To be frank ,After cracking my head for 23minutes i got the answer. that a nice riddle.

    Man.. i was quite excited when i got the answer.

    Any way thanks for the riddle once again :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneBennet
    By the way, how come nobody here has yet tried the puzzle I wrote myself
    1: Because it doesn't have its own thread.
    2: Because you came up with it and not Einstein.
    3: Because they don't like you.

    There are many possible reasons, but I'd say the most probable is the first.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by newspaper
    Hey, carbon nice riddle!!

    To be frank ,After cracking my head for 23minutes i got the answer. that a nice riddle.

    Man.. i was quite excited when i got the answer.

    Any way thanks for the riddle once again :wink:
    glad you liked it =) i can give ya one more if you want

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13183
    (little easier ;P)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Masters Degree thyristor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    542
    I solved it in about 27 minutes, but then I also used some time going through it so that I hadn't made anything wrong.
    373 13231-mbm-13231 373
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Masters Degree thyristor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by newspaper
    Hey, carbon nice riddle!!

    To be frank ,After cracking my head for 23minutes i got the answer. that a nice riddle.

    Man.. i was quite excited when i got the answer.

    Any way thanks for the riddle once again :wink:
    glad you liked it =) i can give ya one more if you want

    http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13183
    (little easier ;P)
    Carbon, did you solve it?
    373 13231-mbm-13231 373
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    ofc.. but not without paper and pen ;P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Masters Degree thyristor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    542
    1. How long time did it take you?
    2. Have you got any more of these "challenges"?
    373 13231-mbm-13231 373
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    BTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_puzzle (Warning, the page contains the solution, although it's a screen or two down.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by thyristor
    1. How long time did it take you?
    2. Have you got any more of these "challenges"?
    ´
    1. i don't know.. ca. 30 min

    2. not yet.
    (if "challenges" means that it was to easy for ya, then im sorry, but i never forced you to solve it..I put it here just for fun and almost all gave me a positive reply, so please stop being so arrogant.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Masters Degree thyristor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by thyristor
    1. How long time did it take you?
    2. Have you got any more of these "challenges"?
    ´
    1. i don't know.. ca. 30 min

    2. not yet.
    (if "challenges" means that it was to easy for ya, then im sorry, but i never forced you to solve it..I put it here just for fun and almost all gave me a positive reply, so please stop being so arrogant.)
    I didn't mean that, I just didn't know what to call them. That's why I used quotation mark. Please don't be offended.
    373 13231-mbm-13231 373
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    sry then.
    I had a bad and hard day so i was/am a bit tired sorry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Masters Degree thyristor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    sry then.
    I had bad and hard day so i was/am a bit tired sorry
    It's okay
    373 13231-mbm-13231 373
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Guest
    It took about five minutes with pencil and paper; draw a five by five grid, fill in all of the given information, and you will find that there is only one space left, which shows that the German owns the fish.

    NOTE: the answer is provided in white above; if you would like to see the solution than highlight it, otherwise you may still solve the problem for yourself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19 Re: ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

    ARE YOU IN THE TOP 2% OF INTELLIGENT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD? SOLVE THE RIDDLE AND FIND OUT.

    There are no tricks, just pure logic, so good luck and don't give up.

    1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
    2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
    3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

    THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

    HINTS:

    1. The Brit lives in a red house.
    2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
    3. The Dane drinks tea.
    4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
    5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
    6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
    7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
    8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
    9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
    11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
    12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
    13. The German smokes Prince.
    14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.


    ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 19th CENTURY. HE SAID THAT 98% OF THE WORLD POPULATION WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.

    Don't forget to tell me how much time it took to solve the riddle. I know, you all can cheat, but i'll just trust you
    -


    Answer (please don't check the answer to fast, try it first.. ) -> http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?i...werklarpu8.jpg
    Did not time exactly but about 8-10 minutes after I set up as a mattrix of possibilities to be eliminated. Maybe 15 minutes total.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20 riddle 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    it took me 40 min ! not an easy work
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Did it in 25 minutes one day while being drunk.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Junior epidecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    Haven't done it but it doesn't seem hard.

    We used to have to do these kinds of logic puzzles in elementary school each day. Those charts/matrices/whatever were sort of tedious, but they always worked out the problem!
    Dis muthufukka go hard. -Quote
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    690
    3 minutes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Freshman efbjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveworlds View Post
    3 minutes
    Show off!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,907
    I liked this little brain teaser, i'm not used to these types of puzzles.

    Spent 5 minutes at the end reading through it and through it trying to work out what pet I had missed! Didn't feel right looking up the answer with a blank box remaining... I felt sure Einstein had missed a clue out.


    Wonder how long it would've taken Einstein... I suppose thats one person who never took the test!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    344
    Logic game... I'll do it later.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    everyone can do it.....nothing creative
    ..takes 15-20 mins....
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •